Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Monday Musings Post UGA

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Monday Musings Post UGA
« on: October 02, 2023, 09:49:00 AM »
A. The passing game is virtually non-existent. WRs don't get separation, aren't schemed in a way that helps them, the OL can't hold up, and I'm still not sold there's a QB on the roster that can operate a P5 offense. That's not just a recruiting or personnel issue. There's some coaching malfeasance going on there that needs to get fixed.

2. OC upheaval already? WOTS is Hugh called plays Saturday. Does that portend a coordinator change is coming? I'm fine if he wants to have someone organize practice and gameplan stuff while he calls it Saturday. Just don't be wishy washy (aka latter day Gus) about it. Pick a lane and stay in it. Even just a coordinator change is just another hurdle to ask dudes to jump over in the offseason.

III. Running the ball is The Way this season. Maybe even beyond. We need to have something of a pass game (see 1) but it's clear this team and players are built for a run heavy scheme. It'll aid the defense which is clearly the strength of the team.  That said, maybe it's time for Ashford to just be the guy. He may not be all that good, but he's not scared. He doesn't play scared. We need that in the signal caller.

Fourth. Remaining Schedule Lookahead

Bye Week - Comes at a great time. Fix stuff, pick lanes, make decisions.

@ LSU - They look vulnerable on defense. Ole Miss, who hasn't run all year, ran all over them. That's going to be key. We're going to need Daniels to have a bad game and he seems to have worked that out of his system. I'm leaning LSU but I think we make that close. Call it a L for now. (3-3)

Ole Miss - Two weeks ago, I thought we'd have it. Now, I'm not so sure. Lane seems to have removed his head from his sphincter and found a groove. Their D is shoddy, but they rush the QB well. They also score a lot of points (sans the Bama game) and I don't think we can do shootout ball at this juncture. L (3-4)

Mississippi State - They are dogmeat and our defense should feast on the raw beef. I don't think they have more talent and I don't think they are well-coached. If Leach was still there, different story. W (4-4)

@ Vandy - We are more in danger of being hit by construction crews than the smart kids. Auburn gets a conference road win and probably breaks that 100 yard passing against P5 drought. Vandy is truly awful. W (5-4)

@ Arkansas - Big rubber game right here. Both teams will be fighting for bowl games/position to avoid being just above Miss. Stake at the bottom of the West. KJ Jefferson is a problem, but not an unsolvable one. Road game in November there usually means garbage weather. Could be a rock fight. Something tells me the Hogs will have mailed it in by then. W (6-4)

New Mexico State - W. (7-4)

Alabama - Calling it now. By then, Alabama will have two if not three more losses. It will be the first Iron Bowl in a long time when neither team is near the top 15. Health is unpredictable, but if Auburn is anywhere near full bore, there's a chance. I think we make this real close and maybe even pull the upset, but Bama has depth and that counts for something. L (7-5)

7-5 means Nashville or one of the lower Florida bowls. Not bad considering all the factors.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

Re: Monday Musings Post UGA
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 10:30:02 AM »
A. The passing game is virtually non-existent. WRs don't get separation, aren't schemed in a way that helps them, the OL can't hold up, and I'm still not sold there's a QB on the roster that can operate a P5 offense. That's not just a recruiting or personnel issue. There's some coaching malfeasance going on there that needs to get fixed.

2. OC upheaval already? WOTS is Hugh called plays Saturday. Does that portend a coordinator change is coming? I'm fine if he wants to have someone organize practice and gameplan stuff while he calls it Saturday. Just don't be wishy washy (aka latter day Gus) about it. Pick a lane and stay in it. Even just a coordinator change is just another hurdle to ask dudes to jump over in the offseason.

III. Running the ball is The Way this season. Maybe even beyond. We need to have something of a pass game (see 1) but it's clear this team and players are built for a run heavy scheme. It'll aid the defense which is clearly the strength of the team.  That said, maybe it's time for Ashford to just be the guy. He may not be all that good, but he's not scared. He doesn't play scared. We need that in the signal caller.

Fourth. Remaining Schedule Lookahead

Bye Week - Comes at a great time. Fix stuff, pick lanes, make decisions.

@ LSU - They look vulnerable on defense. Ole Miss, who hasn't run all year, ran all over them. That's going to be key. We're going to need Daniels to have a bad game and he seems to have worked that out of his system. I'm leaning LSU but I think we make that close. Call it a L for now. (3-3)

Ole Miss - Two weeks ago, I thought we'd have it. Now, I'm not so sure. Lane seems to have removed his head from his sphincter and found a groove. Their D is shoddy, but they rush the QB well. They also score a lot of points (sans the Bama game) and I don't think we can do shootout ball at this juncture. L (3-4)

Mississippi State - They are dogmeat and our defense should feast on the raw beef. I don't think they have more talent and I don't think they are well-coached. If Leach was still there, different story. W (4-4)

@ Vandy - We are more in danger of being hit by construction crews than the smart kids. Auburn gets a conference road win and probably breaks that 100 yard passing against P5 drought. Vandy is truly awful. W (5-4)

@ Arkansas - Big rubber game right here. Both teams will be fighting for bowl games/position to avoid being just above Miss. Stake at the bottom of the West. KJ Jefferson is a problem, but not an unsolvable one. Road game in November there usually means garbage weather. Could be a rock fight. Something tells me the Hogs will have mailed it in by then. W (6-4)

New Mexico State - W. (7-4)

Alabama - Calling it now. By then, Alabama will have two if not three more losses. It will be the first Iron Bowl in a long time when neither team is near the top 15. Health is unpredictable, but if Auburn is anywhere near full bore, there's a chance. I think we make this real close and maybe even pull the upset, but Bama has depth and that counts for something. L (7-5)

7-5 means Nashville or one of the lower Florida bowls. Not bad considering all the factors.
We can only win ugly at this point with a controlled run game and heavy tight end sets. And we can spring anyone in our backfield at any time if there's a seam created up front.
It's what Houston Nutt forced Gus to swallow at Arkansas. No it isn't glamourous or exciting for the average fan but losing games you should win is the sole reason why Malzahn is at Central Florida.
Man up and do what you do best with the talent you have. It's that simple.
Enough of the round hole/square peg.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 10:50:59 AM »
NO to Ashford.
The passing game is growing a little at a time. And remind me which QB had the most rushing yards against uga again...
Even running the ball, I am not convinced Robby is reading ANY option reads. At this point, PT is making some reads.
If he gets more comfortable making those reads, defenses will allow a few more open passes.

No, PT is no world beater, but he progresses each week. Robby is well, just Robby. There is no progression. The triple option was nice to see back there, but he never handed off to 23.

Leave PT in and tell him that if the DE is not charging, hand the ball off. No way a squatting DE gets to Battie. Also the same with himself. If you have a fat DE squatting on the QB, most likely PT can get around the guy. At this point, the option HAS to be practiced more for both guys. And the short passing game needs to be priority.
From a passing standpoint, the line got crushed a lot. However PT delivered some nice balls to MJ that should have been receptions. We do not have THAT dog at WR.
Armchair fans keep screaming that a WR was always open, why didn't PT throw it? Well, if that WR was progression read #1, then yes, PT shit the bed. If he's 2,3,or 4. The line had already collapsed.
Watching many a replay, our WRs look like they are trotting with the DBs. I watch other teams and their WRs are leaving the DB in the dust almost every play. We seam to coach like we have those guys instead of our pedestrian WRs. 
So for now, we stick to timed outs and curls using the big guys to screen off the defender.

Again, NO ROBBY.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 11:12:05 AM »
I might add that I plan to wear a Magnum on other weekends besides just the Arkansas game.

Good points 6. And The Jmar. I was as encouraged as someone could be coming from the shitshow that we saw in Texas. Kaos already has me confused about my identity. Re Bucky, I mean. Because I was very antiFreeze in the beginning and then I have been so very impressed with what he had done up until A&M. That was an offensive turd.

The Georgia game was ultra impressive and the recruiting list was unmatched in AU history. That isn’t the end all but it sure goes a long way. When you put up that kind of fight and have that many 5 stars in attendance and have a chance to beat the number one team, people take it seriously.

If you are still doing any football podcasting, I’m available for guest hosting. I think you know that I didn’t just blow the flute or twirl a flag. Not there’s anything wrong with that.

It takes a bunch of weirdos to make for a cool crowd like I was one of the leaders in. Without the freaks there would be no difference.

It’s the same around here as it was in high school, except there are a lot more freaks here.

Just let me know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 11:18:39 AM »
NO to Ashford.
The passing game is growing a little at a time. And remind me which QB had the most rushing yards against uga again...
Even running the ball, I am not convinced Robby is reading ANY option reads. At this point, PT is making some reads.
If he gets more comfortable making those reads, defenses will allow a few more open passes.

No, PT is no world beater, but he progresses each week. Robby is well, just Robby. There is no progression. The triple option was nice to see back there, but he never handed off to 23.

Leave PT in and tell him that if the DE is not charging, hand the ball off. No way a squatting DE gets to Battie. Also the same with himself. If you have a fat DE squatting on the QB, most likely PT can get around the guy. At this point, the option HAS to be practiced more for both guys. And the short passing game needs to be priority.
From a passing standpoint, the line got crushed a lot. However PT delivered some nice balls to MJ that should have been receptions. We do not have THAT dog at WR.
Armchair fans keep screaming that a WR was always open, why didn't PT throw it? Well, if that WR was progression read #1, then yes, PT shit the bed. If he's 2,3,or 4. The line had already collapsed.
Watching many a replay, our WRs look like they are trotting with the DBs. I watch other teams and their WRs are leaving the DB in the dust almost every play. We seam to coach like we have those guys instead of our pedestrian WRs. 
So for now, we stick to timed outs and curls using the big guys to screen off the defender.

Again, NO ROBBY.
I can see some of what you are saying but Robby is an elite athlete. He can’t  pass for shit but he can throw it a long way. He is a huge threat.

I’ve discussed this at length with Hugh and we will continue to have a package for Robby.

You just worry about Desantis raising your taxes and all of the riff raff of Bike Week. The only thing I’ve ever known from Florida is steers and queers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 11:50:48 AM »
In Thorne's defense, he looked a lot better this week, than last. And his numbers didn't do that justice with the amount of pigskin hitting WRs in the hands and being dropped. The WRs are absolutely the weak link on this team. I think you gotta get Battie in space on swing passes and Fairweather in good matchups in the flat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 11:57:50 AM »
In Thorne's defense, he looked a lot better this week, than last. And his numbers didn't do that justice with the amount of pigskin hitting WRs in the hands and being dropped. The WRs are absolutely the weak link on this team. I think you gotta get Battie in space on swing passes and Fairweather in good matchups in the flat.
This^

I have come around to the idea that despite my own thinking that the QB room was the weakest that the WR room is the one that needs the most help. And QB isn’t a strength by any means, the WR issues are glaring at this point. Saturday made it even more clear.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 12:30:33 PM »
Yeah there's a quote function on this thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 12:57:07 PM »
I saw a team willing to fight, and one that is determined to get better as the season goes on. We might break even this year, but every team we play will have significant bumps and bruises from playing a physical Auburn defense. Offense… I was impressed with Thorne’s progression after his Turtle Moseley reenactment last week. I have not been a fan of him really all season, but I saw a fire lit under his ass on Saturday. 6 of his incompletions were very catchable balls, which is a shame on our receiving core. 50/50 balls with them is more like 10/90 balls, and that 10 is Fairweather.

The run game is churning. I’d spend the next 2 weeks figuring out a simplistic, reliable passing game that we can deploy moving forward. Take thinking out of it and let these chirren play ball. Hard to grasp a new offense and to know the “ifs and buts” in 1 fall camp.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

jmar

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2023, 12:59:00 PM »
NO to Ashford.

Again, NO ROBBY.
We don't neccesarilly have to be a read option team, just use it as the situation calls. We can run screens and draws, quick hitters and drag routes and occasionally take a deep shot downfield on first and second downs. We should also milk the clock down to 5 or 6 seconds each play. (no delay penalties or stupid time outs)[/size]I say we try a similar approach to UGA as far as setting the tone and put the onus on the other team to get cute in a field possession game. We have what I think is a very accurate kicker and our punter seems to be world class. Use what you have to it's full advantage.Most of the teams we play have young QBs trying to find their way with receivers that don't have the knack for finding open field while making fucking circus catches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 01:22:13 PM »
I saw a team willing to fight, and one that is determined to get better as the season goes on. We might break even this year, but every team we play will have significant bumps and bruises from playing a physical Auburn defense. Offense… I was impressed with Thorne’s progression after his Turtle Moseley reenactment last week. I have not been a fan of him really all season, but I saw a fire lit under his ass on Saturday. 6 of his incompletions were very catchable balls, which is a shame on our receiving core. 50/50 balls with them is more like 10/90 balls, and that 10 is Fairweather.

The run game is churning. I’d spend the next 2 weeks figuring out a simplistic, reliable passing game that we can deploy moving forward. Take thinking out of it and let these chirren play ball. Hard to grasp a new offense and to know the “ifs and buts” in 1 fall camp.
I like this. And let it be known to potential recruits that we intend to have a balanced offense that lights up the megaboard at Jordan Hare with talent  that know Auburn as home.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 01:46:13 PM »
One last point of bitching and then I'll let this game die (though, to be honest, I'm not upset AT ALL with the result here...mostly because of the effort shown):

If the distance to gain for a first down is 1 yard or less...DO NOT FUCKING LINE UP IN A SHOTGUN FORMATION.

This isn't just an Auburn problem, it's widespread.  And fucking stupid.  Don't do it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 02:29:51 PM »
One last point of bitching and then I'll let this game die (though, to be honest, I'm not upset AT ALL with the result here...mostly because of the effort shown):

If the distance to gain for a first down is 1 yard or less...DO NOT FUCKING LINE UP IN A SHOTGUN FORMATION.

This isn't just an Auburn problem, it's widespread.  And fucking stupid.  Don't do it.

I hear you. I'd also be curious to hear WHY they did. Not sure it would be a valid reason, but I am curious. There has to be a reason even if a weird one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2023, 02:56:33 PM »

Don’t see a flaw in this take at all. I haven’t looked it up yet, but I bet our 4th down conversion rate is terrible this season. Seems like they all get blown up immediately behind the line of play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2023, 04:52:20 PM »

I used to think the same but I have changed my opinion. 2010 has some to do with it, although we did sneak it from under center. We also ran a lot of short yardage with Cam in the shotgun. But when 90 plus percent of your plays are in the shotgun, going under center is making a center and qb exchange problem more likely, I’d think

Also, if you consider a qb under center handing off to a RB, then there are two exchanges to consider. A direct snap to the qb , if he’s running it, is a higher percentage as far as exchanges go.

I still think under center has its place and that’s vs weaker fronts. We should definitely employ it by making sure during the practice week to do it a lot more than we normally practice it. It needs to be another tool in the arsenal.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 04:54:29 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2023, 07:15:38 PM »
I used to think the same but I have changed my opinion. 2010 has some to do with it, although we did sneak it from under center. We also ran a lot of short yardage with Cam in the shotgun. But when 90 plus percent of your plays are in the shotgun, going under center is making a center and qb exchange problem more likely, I’d think

Also, if you consider a qb under center handing off to a RB, then there are two exchanges to consider. A direct snap to the qb , if he’s running it, is a higher percentage as far as exchanges go.

I still think under center has its place and that’s vs weaker fronts. We should definitely employ it by making sure during the practice week to do it a lot more than we normally practice it. It needs to be another tool in the arsenal.
You have the defense thinking run first with center-quarterback exchanges.
And the ballsiest calls I've ever witnessed were completed throws when a team is backed up into their own endzone with enough time left on the clock for the other team to win the game if you choose to punt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2023, 07:46:40 PM »
If you don't practice under center short-yardage stuff, there's a chance you'll screw it up in game situations. That's what coaches have said, at least. Thing is, this offense has some under center work and I know Thorne did that at Michigan State. So, it's curious.

Wes, I'm with you in that this isn't just an Auburn problem. I blame this (and a whole host of other current offense trends) on the 7-on-7 Texas HS philosophy that's taken over football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 12:43:00 AM »

You should go visit the Ark boards, you'll feel right at home.  It's been the turning point in a couple games already.  One of the local writers says it's because of the coach's arrogance, thinks he knows better than the fans.  Don't know about Auburn, but I have a sneaking suspicion the reason the hogs don't do it is because they've tried it in practice and don't have a very high success rate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 01:12:40 AM »
Yeah. We gotta be under center so that dude don’t snap it over the QB’s head and take away the RPO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2023, 08:11:10 AM »
We have demonstrated to anyone watching that we are inept in the passing game, easily defended. So it would seem that the best way to spring a surprise pass on an opponent (with a somewhat better chance of success) would be by taking the snap under center.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions