Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Concert Remorse

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Concert Remorse
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2023, 04:26:38 PM »
All gym bros in here should download the ***Free*** BPN training app.  They have strength training, structured running routines to meet goals, or hybrid options that balance both.  It's part of the reason I have such a rockin' bod (not really).  I do mostly eat only Pistachios and fruit every day, saving the debauchery for the weekends.

Mods - I couldn't find the Fat Board.  Please move this for me.

I think I'm gonna get on intermittent fasting. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2023, 04:37:27 PM »
Back to concerts. 

At some point in the mid to late 80s there was a huge event planned for Birmingham that was going to include the Gap Band, Dazz Band, Midnight Starr, Atlantic Starr, Zapp and four or five others. I wanna say it was called FunkFest or something like that. It was definitely going to be funk city and my lily ass was pimping to go.  But something happened. Either the concert never came through or Kaos didn't get tickets. I think it was the former.  Having seen the Commodores and EWF at the epic height of their respective glories I was really stoked for that one so I think it probably didn't happen. 

And as sad as this is to say I THINK I saw Prince, but cannot state for certain that I did.   I've claimed it for years because I believe it to be so.   He played Birmingham before 1999 came out.  During the Controversy tour.  I knew his stuff because the jukebox at Pizza Hut had Controversy and Ronnie Drop the Bomb on it.  Most people had little to no idea who he was at that point. I know I had tickets, I know we were supposed to go, I know I got extremely high for several days around that time and I have this hazy memory of watching him perform but it could be a false memory. I'm pretty sure it isn't?  I'm like 99% sure I remember him telling us if we thought he was a little fag, go ahead and send our girlfirends back stage to meet him.  The reason I have doubts is I almost always buy a t-shirt even if the band is shitty and I do not have a Prince one. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2023, 04:47:24 PM »
The reason I have doubts is I almost always buy a t-shirt even if the band is shitty and I do not have a Prince one.

It was probably a silk purple blouse. You most likely threw it out...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2023, 04:51:41 PM »
It was probably a silk purple blouse. You most likely threw it out...

No, schweety, THAT I would have kept.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2023, 05:20:39 PM »
My daughter has been in Vegas for probably 6-7 years now.  Been in a long running show at Planet Hollywood since she's been out there.  Mom went to see it.  Dad can't.  I'm sure it's tastefully done.  The good thing is, she has access to tickets and back stage passes etc. for a lot of concerts and shows.

A couple of years ago, we arranged it where Snagette flew out there for her birthday.  Snags had to stay home with the kid and the dogs.  She didn't know what my daughter had in store for her.  She called me from the venue screaming, "Do you know where I am? I'm back stage at the Aerosmith concert, eating sushi and drinking margaritas.  Steven Tyler and the whole band have been in and out of here several times."

She watched the concert just off stage.

Did I mention I stayed home and kept the dogs?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2023, 07:26:51 PM »
By far a comprehensive list…

Best people to see live…

Drivin’ and Cryin’
Robert Cray Band
Better Than Ezra (by far the best)
Train
Cowboy Mouth (in bham, so maybe I miss the NOLA vibe)
Jimmy Buffett
Alan Jackson
Chris Stapleton
In Living Colour
Georgia Satellites
Blackberry Smoke
Travis Tritt
REM
The Ramones
Cheap Trick
Rollin’ In The Hay
The Creek
Bare Naked Ladies
Gin Blossoms
Need To Breathe
Ben Folds Five
Hayseed Dixie
Jude
Huey Lewis and the News (awful)

Different category…
Chris Browning
Dan Cummings
Dan Soder
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2023, 07:34:54 PM »
And no regrets on anyone I have not seen live.  Frick KISS and the rest.  I can watch it on YouTube.  If you have seen any act over ten times, you have a problem.

Love you, Kevin S. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2023, 10:11:49 PM »
And no regrets on anyone I have not seen live.  Frick KISS and the rest.  I can watch it on YouTube.  If you have seen any act over ten times, you have a problem.

Love you, Kevin S.

I do have a problem.  KISS concert is rarefied air to me.  I've seen every lineup except Mark St. John.  I've seen every tour but maybe one.  I've seen raw and stripped down in the beginning, bloated and self-important toward the end of the makeup, super glam and prancy, grunge, back to the raw and stripped and all the way back to bloated. The band fascinates me and the show is ALWAYS good.  I feel bad for anybody who hasn't seen them.  Video doesn't do it justice.

I've also seen several on your list.

Travis Tritt? Holy shit, I wanted to stab my ears out with dull pencils.  I walked out on him and Marty Stuard.
Train?  Saw them open for Hall & Oates. Really bad.

I forgot Elton John.  Saw him three times.  Once at Jazz Fest where I was so far back I could not see him at all. All I could hear was a band of drunken Ole Miss fans arguing with a gaggle of drunker Mississippi State fans.  Then at Midtown where he played an abbreviated set.  Finally saw him in Mobile and it was a tremendous show. Yeah, he was fat elton by then and I wish I'd seen him years ago, but still.  The man can play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2023, 10:47:19 PM »
It's circling back to Vince Neil.

Ok now that makes more sense. We can allow it. Kerryon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2023, 10:49:42 PM »
Back to concerts. 

At some point in the mid to late 80s there was a huge event planned for Birmingham that was going to include the Gap Band, Dazz Band, Midnight Starr, Atlantic Starr, Zapp and four or five others. I wanna say it was called FunkFest or something like that. It was definitely going to be funk city and my lily ass was pimping to go.  But something happened. Either the concert never came through or Kaos didn't get tickets. I think it was the former.  Having seen the Commodores and EWF at the epic height of their respective glories I was really stoked for that one so I think it probably didn't happen. 

And as sad as this is to say I THINK I saw Prince, but cannot state for certain that I did.   I've claimed it for years because I believe it to be so.   He played Birmingham before 1999 came out.  During the Controversy tour.  I knew his stuff because the jukebox at Pizza Hut had Controversy and Ronnie Drop the Bomb on it.  Most people had little to no idea who he was at that point. I know I had tickets, I know we were supposed to go, I know I got extremely high for several days around that time and I have this hazy memory of watching him perform but it could be a false memory. I'm pretty sure it isn't?  I'm like 99% sure I remember him telling us if we thought he was a little fag, go ahead and send our girlfirends back stage to meet him.  The reason I have doubts is I almost always buy a t-shirt even if the band is shitty and I do not have a Prince one.

Reminds me again. Two more: Prince and EWF - that I wish I could have seen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2023, 10:55:10 PM »
  If you have seen any act over ten times, you have a problem.

Lot of middle aged white women on social media that refer to themselves as “swifties” want a word with you bucko. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2023, 11:06:46 PM »
Reminds me again. Two more: Prince and EWF - that I wish I could have seen.

EWF back about 79 when the first Greatest Hits album was out.  THAT was a show.  Jumpsuits, sequins, about 5000 dudes on horns, Phillip Bailey breaking glass. Funky slap bass.  247 different kinds of drums. AMAZING.   Saw them again in about 90-91 and it was much more subdued.  Helped sponsor Bayfest when they came through Mobile. Morris had died at that point and it was an even more subdued show.  But Good GOT, that funky ass show in the late 70s was on fire. 

One of my favorite bands ever. If I need to change my mood or get motivated? Slide in that EWF 8-track and jam out.

Found this on the YouTube - since it's just as good as being there, right?  From about 81.

They're still touring. Were in Atlanta with Lionel Richie night before last (Aug 22),  Verdine is still killing the bass and Bailey can still sky - just not quite as high.

https://www.earthwindandfire.com/

If you can get to any of the remaining dates, it'll be worth it. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 11:35:28 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2023, 09:01:59 AM »
By far a comprehensive list…

Best people to see live…

Drivin’ and Cryin’

Saw Drivin' and Cryin' in Auburn my freshman year. 

No Jupiter Coyote?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2023, 09:04:00 AM »
Several years ago, Paul McCartney came to St Louis and played at Busch.  He'd been one that I always wanted to see.  Voice isn't want it was, but he played for 3 hours, and played all the Beatles songs you would have wanted him to play.

It was also my son's first concert - I think he was 7.  I told him he may not appreciate it now, but when he's 40, he will appreciate that he saw a Beatle perform live.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2023, 09:33:57 AM »
Several years ago, Paul McCartney came to St Louis and played at Busch.  He'd been one that I always wanted to see.  Voice isn't want it was, but he played for 3 hours, and played all the Beatles songs you would have wanted him to play.

It was also my son's first concert - I think he was 7.  I told him he may not appreciate it now, but when he's 40, he will appreciate that he saw a Beatle perform live.

That was my reasoning with him and Bob Dylan. Just to say I saw a Beatle and Bob Dylan live. Like em or not, their status in music history is huge.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2023, 09:37:46 AM »
EWF back about 79 when the first Greatest Hits album was out.  THAT was a show.  Jumpsuits, sequins, about 5000 dudes on horns, Phillip Bailey breaking glass. Funky slap bass.  247 different kinds of drums. AMAZING.   Saw them again in about 90-91 and it was much more subdued.  Helped sponsor Bayfest when they came through Mobile. Morris had died at that point and it was an even more subdued show.  But Good GOT, that funky ass show in the late 70s was on fire. 

One of my favorite bands ever. If I need to change my mood or get motivated? Slide in that EWF 8-track and jam out.

Found this on the YouTube - since it's just as good as being there, right?  From about 81.

They're still touring. Were in Atlanta with Lionel Richie night before last (Aug 22),  Verdine is still killing the bass and Bailey can still sky - just not quite as high.

https://www.earthwindandfire.com/

If you can get to any of the remaining dates, it'll be worth it.

Their live YouTube video of Boogey Wonderland was a party I want to be at. Just perfection. Maurice White has always been a super underrated front man and performer. He died a few years back I think.

Random fact as it relates to Phillip Bailey - always grew up hearing Easy Lover on the radio in the 80s and 90's assuming that was a Phil Collins song with "some other dude" in it with a high falsetto - that dude being Phillip Bailey. Didnt even realize until several years ago that it was the opposite. It was a Phillip Bailey tune featuring Phil Collins.

Phil Collins is another I wish I could have seen. Not sure on Genesis - wouldn't turn it down but loved his stuff and theirs with him in it. I saw they did a farewell thing either last year or year before, and Phil is in bad shape physically. Was sad to watch him sing Take Me Home (he was in tears at the end of it) as his final song at the O2.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2023, 11:06:42 AM »
When my dad was an undergrad at Auburn in the mid 60s, he got to see James Brown in Tuskegee.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
WiregrassTiger,
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2023, 12:28:27 PM »
When my dad was an undergrad at Auburn in the mid 60s, he got to see James Brown in Tuskegee.

One of the true OGs. LOT of Prince and MJ came from the Godfather. Guy was an innovator in soul and dance moves on stage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2023, 01:07:52 PM »

When my wife was in Augusta, she got to see JB also.
He came flying by in front of her at a red light in his pickup with the cops chasing at a high rate of speed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2023, 01:33:18 PM »
When my wife was in Augusta, she got to see JB also.
He came flying by in front of her at a red light in his pickup with the cops chasing at a high rate of speed.

Somebody, quick...hide da cocaine!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions
WDE