Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2018 Installment of MLB Bitchin' & Moanin'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: 2018 Installment of MLB Bitchin' & Moanin'
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
The best leadoff hitter in the history of all leadoff hitters is in the #1 spot tonight for the Schlubs.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2018, 04:13:00 PM »
The best leadoff hitter in the history of all leadoff hitters is in the #1 spot tonight for the Schlubs.  
Antoine Ritzo?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
Heard a stat this morning that a Brew Crew relief pitcher, Josh Hader, struck out 8 guys in 3 innings. Looked him up and he's got an ERA of 1.00 and has 39 strikeouts in 18 innings.  That my friends, is some nasty shiot!
cool story, bro.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2018, 04:43:24 PM »
That's impossible, that guy, who is also the ugliest baseball player in MLB history, is now a coach for the Cards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
Braves start a series against the Metrosexuals in NY tonight.  Pitcher will be making his MLB debut.  6'5" righty, Mike Soroka.  Only 20 years old.  I guess Albies, Acuna Marada and Soroka, the youth movement is starting fo sho.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2018, 10:19:19 PM »
And Soroka hurls 6 innings of 1 run ball to get his first MLB win, 3-2.  Braves tried their damndest to give it away in the 9th but held on to go 17-11 and continue a solid road trip.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2018, 10:13:55 PM »
Cards take another tight win against the Pale Hose while the Cubbies get Rocked.  Red Birds in first with the Baby Bears a half game out.  Early still, but fun.  Braves seal another series win and take over first with a 7-0 shutout on the road against the Metrosexuals.  Currently 6-3 on the road trip with a matinee in NY tomorrow.  18-11 overall.

I know it's just 2 games, but the Nats have had unprotected butt secks with the Pirates.  Pounding them 2 games in a row.  I hope they haven't done been woke.  Early on, it looks like the Red Sox and Yankees as the class of the AL.  Sox are talented as hell top to bottom.  The Yank Me's just fucking wall bang 1-9.  That's going to be fun to watch. 

Despite my "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen" blues I've been singing, my guys are playing some damn good ball in every single phase of the game.  Realistically, too young to carry it for the long haul, but about 30 games in, this team is worth tuning in to. 

Give us the skinny on your club.  I've been paying attention mostly to scores and standings. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2018, 07:59:21 AM »
I'm not sold on the Cardinals, to be honest.  I don't trust our bullpen.  The win yesterday was nice, but when your offense gets jump started by Carlos Martinez hitting his first career home run, something is wrong. 

Cards are sitting 5 games over .500, but have 7 wins against the Reds, and 2 against the White Sox.  So I wonder are they just beating up bad teams?  Seems likely after getting swept by the Bucs over the weekend (and after taking a 3 run lead into the bottom of the 9th on Friday, and losing the game in extra innings, St Louis was outscored 12-2 over the course of the series).  That's a bit frustrating.

I suspect that come late Sunday night, we will have some questions answered about how good St Louis really is, as the Cubs come to town.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
I bought tickets to the Red Sox/Braves series in Atlanta in September when the schedule first came out.  Didn't figure it would amount to much, just a fun series to watch as the season wound down.  Got good seats for less than $40.  

I know it's way early, but wouldn't it be awesome if both teams were still in contention when September rolls around?  I know the ticket prices are already trending upward.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
I bought tickets to the Red Sox/Braves series in Atlanta in September when the schedule first came out.  Didn't figure it would amount to much, just a fun series to watch as the season wound down.  Got good seats for less than $40.  

I know it's way early, but wouldn't it be awesome if both teams were still in contention when September rolls around?  I know the ticket prices are already trending upward.  
Oh man, I may have to look into that road trip.  My favorite team and adopted/bandwagon favorite AL team.
Speaking of...there's trouble in Metrosexualville.  The Braves are up 11-0 on NY in the top of the 9th.  After a 7-0 shutout last night.  But as the Bravos have proven in the Windy City, no lead is safe. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »
The terrorist took a no no into the 6th inning today.  That's way off the norm for him even.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »
The terrorist took a no no into the 6th inning today.  That's way off the norm for him even.
Whoooooooooooo Lee Oh
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
Good read from Paul Sullivan in today's Chicago Tribune.  Tells me both teams are playing for first place this weekend while neither has sniffed of their potential.

s Cardinals manager Mike Matheny addressed reporters in the dugout before Wednesday afternoon’s game at Busch Stadium, a group of curious onlookers stood a few feet away pointing their smartphones in his direction.
It was just another example of the ongoing encroachment of fans in the baseball workplace, as teams try to squeeze every ounce of revenue they can from customers, whether it interferes with the team or not.

Matheny didn’t appear at all bothered by the eavesdropping fans, and if they were able to hear his current message on Cardinals baseball, it was probably good for the organization.
So what was the message?

That this was one of the best teams Matheny has managed, in spite of statistical evidence suggesting otherwise.
Matheny was simply doubling down on a bold statement the previous night from Cardinals infielder Matt Carpenter, who has struggled with a .167 average in the early going.
“I know I’m biased and people may not agree,” Carpenter said. “But this team has a chance to be one of the best ones I’ve played on in St. Louis, and that’s saying a lot.”
It is saying a lot. Carpenter has been a Cardinal since 2011. In that time they’ve won one World Series, lost another and been to four National League Championship Series.
Last year they finished out of the playoffs with an 83-79 record, and they began Thursday’s off day a half-game behind the first-place Brewers in the National League Central before starting a three-game series Friday against the Cubs.
The 17-12 record, however, is deceiving. The Cardinals are 7-0 against the Reds and just completed a two-game sweep over the White Sox, two teams in rebuilding mode.
They’re 8-12 against everyone else, and as of Thursday they were ranked 25th in hitting (.235), 19th in slugging percentage (.394) and 15th in runs scored (132). They’ve so far been carried by their starting pitching, which was fourth with a 3.23 ERA. The bullpen has been above average but already has six blown saves, along with the fourth most walks per nine innings (4.32) and fourth-fewest strikeouts per nine (2.00).
Carpenter’s lofty assessment of the Cardinals wasn’t unexpected. Every team tries to put a good spin on things, including the Cubs, who’ve been average at best over the first five weeks and bring a 16-12 record into St. Louis.
But no one on the Cubs has been comparing them favorably to their World Series team of 2016, which won 103 games.
“I’m saying the exact same thing (as Carpenter), 100 percent,” Matheny said. “I mean, you just look at the pieces and you look at how this team has kind of been playing without having everything clicking.
“We’ve talked about that, but it’s true. You look at the pen. You look at what are starters are capable of doing, and it’s a dangerous, deep lineup. I’ve said that before as well. I couldn’t agree more. I’m glad he’s thinking that and I hope every single one of those guys is thinking that. Because I think this could be one of the best teams I’ve ever been around.”
Whether Cardinals fans are buying into the message is debatable. Matheny is not very popular these days, a byproduct of back-to-back seasons without a playoff berth.
And though Busch Stadium is usually filled with red-clad fans, thousands headed to the exits after the eighth inning of Tuesday night’s game against the White Sox, missing the Cardinals’ ninth-inning comeback.
Other than Tommy Pham, the lineup hasn’t put much fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers. Carpenter said the Cardinals general manager, Michael Girsch, showed him stats that suggested he was “the most unlucky hitter in baseball,” and told him not to change anything.
“It felt good to hear that,” he said. Cubs first baseman Anthony “Rizzo and I were basically the same — the worst in baseball.”
But Carpenter isn’t alone. New acquisition Marcel Ozuna, who was supposed to be the next big thing in St. Louis, has yet to step up, with a -0.2 WAR and a .591 OPS.
Dexter Fowler, the former Cubs center fielder now playing in right, has a .594 OPS and -0.4 WAR. In Wednesday’s game, Sox slugger Jose Abreu turned a routine single into a double by taking advantage of Fowler’s arm.
Fowler isn’t too worried about the slow start.
“I was off to one last year and had a career year,” he said. “Things like that happen. It’s unfortunate it’s at the beginning. If it was in the middle of the year, it’s like, ‘All right, he’s struggling a little bit.’”
The Cubs have had a few problems of their own, including Rizzo’s slump, Yu Darvish’s struggles and a general lack of consistency. Not even manager Joe Maddon can come up with a way to put a positive spin on Darvish’s troubles living up to his $126 million contract.
While this may be a series between two longstanding rivals that figure to battle it out for the division title, neither team seems to be hype-worthy at this point. Still, it’s Cubs-Cardinals, and you never know what’s in store when they get together.
“I’m looking forward to it,” Fowler said. “Anytime you can play guys in the division for first place, it’s going to be a good series.”
Let the nacho chips fall where they may.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #174 on: May 04, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
I wish I could get you two up here for a Cubs/Cards series.  It's a lot of fun.  Two rabid fan bases, but I've never seen the open hostility that you get with Yanks/Sox.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
I wish I could get you two up here for a Cubs/Cards series.  It's a lot of fun.  Two rabid fan bases, but I've never seen the open hostility that you get with Yanks/Sox.
And just so we're clear, by "you two" I meant Snags and Mini-Snags, because fuck Buzz and the Cubs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
And just so we're clear, by "you two" I meant Snags and Mini-Snags, because fudge Buzz and the Cubs.
At first, I was like...

Then, I was like...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2018, 12:00:46 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2018, 03:57:29 PM »
Braves called up 37 year old, Jose Bautista.  He'll start at 3rd base tonight against the Giants.  Hope he's still got some pop.  Only hit .203 with 65 RBI's last year for the Jays. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2018, 09:06:58 PM »
I know I'm jinxing them but..

PHAMMER TIME
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions