Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

SEC Head Coaching jobs for the 2018 season...

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: SEC Head Coaching jobs for the 2018 season...
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
Why?  If Gus has done what we think he has, truly turned the O over to Lindsey, then we could have left CGM in the locker room or on the bus for every game and be 12-0 right now.  Gus' job is to go "Boom" on the sidelines and talk about how we beat the dog shit out of Georgia.

And then that whole recruiting thing too. He's purdee good at it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 11:36:45 AM »
Playing devils advocate here, (because I have said the opposite) but could it also be that Gus with a new offensive coordinator and a rookie QB was dictating more of his offensive prowess into the gameplan in the beginning and has released the reigns as things have gone and players have gotten more comfortable and better throughout the year?  I will say that Stidham while still not perfect has improved leaps and bounds from the beginning of the year.  That alone can be the cause of the improvement in our offense. 

I'm just saying you can't blame Gus for all of the failures and then say it's all Lindsey and Steele when we win, because none of us really know.

All I'm saying is that I'm (Sort of) taking Gus at his word.  He is emphatic that it's Chip's offense, his play calling and his responsibility, as opposed to some saying Chip is helping him out.  I said before this season started that if Gus would actually do that, we might be pretty damn good.  But, I honestly didn't think he could. And you can check on that and confirm it.  And if I really didn't say that, let me know so I can go back and alter my posts and then claim it. Ultimately, I'm saying that if Gus has truly done that....then it's GOOD thing.  Great job!  I give him credit for letting the guys he hired to do their jobs....do their jobs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »
I'm just being honest here...

What has me backtracking from the beginning of the year and being TOTALLY against Gus to now on the fence aren't just the wins against UGA and bama.  Sure that is a part of it, but it's looking at the larger landscape of college football as a whole.  The game has changed so much in the last 15 years. 9-3 seasons used to be good but are now considered shit if you don't make the playoffs. 

I'm just wondering where we are anymore as a fanbase.  Are we ok with 3-5 losses but an amazing season once every 4 years?  What if I said we would be 10-2 for the next 4 years but never made one playoff versus we are going to be 8-4, 7-5, 9-3 but that 4th season man we are going to be in the show?  Which would you rather have? I know what I would. 

Kevin Sumlin just got fired at aTm after having a .662 winning percentage there.  The prior coaches Sherman and Frachione were .500 and .533.

All I'm saying is a lot of us were clamoring for the Tubs days, but a lot of us forget Tubs lost games he should have won too, most coaches do.  Are we too quick to react in this new era of College Football? Are we being too fickle of fans?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jmar

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 11:48:52 AM »
Start at the 7:00 mark and watch for a minute.  I've been saying this for a while.  What's being run is not Gus Malzahn's offense.  He says throughout this video that Chip understands the core of my offense, which is run first.  But it's his offense, his pay calling and his responsibility.  We all knew Gus would interfere at some point (Clemson and LSU) but, Gus has never run some of the plays we've been putting on Georgia and Bama. 

Other than the passing game it's all the same minus a couple of dipsy dos and flea flickers.
So maybe they are co- coordinating in sequence. Whatever, it's working.
And Stidham has steadily improved into the best QB in the conference.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:02:25 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »

What has me backtracking from the beginning of the year and being TOTALLY against Gus to now on the fence aren't just the wins against UGA and bama.  Sure that is a part of it, but it's looking at the larger landscape of college football as a whole.  The game has changed so much in the last 15 years. 9-3 seasons used to be good but are now considered shit if you don't make the playoffs. 

I'm just wondering where we are anymore as a fanbase.  Are we ok with 3-5 losses but an amazing season once every 4 years?  What if I said we would be 10-2 for the next 4 years but never made one playoff versus we are going to be 8-4, 7-5, 9-3 but that 4th season man we are going to be in the show?  Which would you rather have? I know what I would. 

Kevin Sumlin just got fired at aTm after having a .662 winning percentage there.  The prior coaches Sherman and Frachione were .500 and .533.

All I'm saying is a lot of us were clamoring for the Tubs days, but a lot of us forget Tubs lost games he should have won too, most coaches do.  Are we too quick to react in this new era of College Football? Are we being too fickle of fans?

A couple of points.  My biggest issue where Gus has been concerned has been the lack of utilizing the wealth of talent we've had since he's been here.  He's gotten the players in but wasted the hell out of them for several years. Do I want championships?  Sure I do.  But if we go into Saturday or a bowl game or a championship game or any game next year, and approach it with the same philosophy as we have recently, I'm 100% fine with the outcome.  Why?  Because I know we're doing everything we can to maximize the talent on the field.  We haven't done that in a long time.  Get beat by a team that was better on that day?  I can live with it.

Second, I agree wholeheartedly with the few less successful years traded off for the show.  I posted about what an incredible day, atmosphere, game etc. it was in the win over Georgia.  I remember thinking what if Georgia had gone to BDS that day and gotten beat the same way?  What would the reaction of Bama fan be?  You know what it would be.  "That's the way it should be.  Georgia never deserved to be #1.  We're back in our rightful place."  My reaction was that days like that don't come around that often.  I'm gettin' all lathered up in it. It's great to be an Auburn Tiger. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 12:37:22 PM »
Are we being too fickle of fans?

No.  Not at all.

You and I both have no problem with losing.  It's a game, it happens.

But it's the WAY we are losing that drew our ire.  It's the shuffling of the QBs that cost us Clemson last year.  That's the kind of bullshit I expect from a guy coaching his first high school game, not a coach making in excess of 4M a year at a top 20 college.  It's the way he trotted White out when he wasn't ready to go back out (and what I'm terribly afraid of him doing this weekend with KJ) that made us question him.  It's the shell that he went into in the second half vs LSU.

And with Tubs, sure we'd have the head scratchers, I think I just saw Fred Talley run by my office window here at Georgia Tech.  But I don't recall the WTF moments quite like I do with Gus, meaning yes, we did have games where we just got our asses kicked (black saturday 2001 for starters), and yes, that's the coaches responsibility, but I don't recall watching a game, and wondering, Why in the fuck is Tubs doing this.

Am I on the fire Gus bandwagon?  No.  No way in hell do I want to be going through a coaching search next week.  And yes, I realize that means paying the man his money.  I expect he will get a 5 year extension at 6.5M/year, regardless if he wins or loses this weekend.

I think it goes back to when we hired him.  We all talked about his lack of head coaching experience, and that we didn't think Auburn was a place to learn on the job.  And maybe 2014-16 and 17 through the LSU game were him learning.  I don't know the answer to that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »

For a very, very long time this is all I said I wanted:

1) Beat the ones you're supposed to.  You can't go 2-4 against MSU and Ole Miss over three years.  You've also got to devour the cupcakes, too.

2) Be consistently competitive against your biggest rivals.  You can't be 2-7 against LSU, UGA and UAT.  You don't have to beat them every year, but it does need to be somewhat in the even range. 

3) Be in the running for the SEC late in every season and have a shot to win (SEC/Playoffs) it all on occasion. 

All I really wanted is for us to act like we belong in the Big Six conversation. 

Two things happened over the last five years, though, that derailed that. 

First is the Saban effect.  Those cheating bastards created an artificial bar that everybody has to one degree or another started to chase.  It's why A&M thinks they are too good for Sumlin, how Ole Miss was willing to look away, Dixieland when Freeze was whorechasing, why Georgia turned on Richt, why LSU thought it was too elite for Les....  I read other boards every once in a while and it's amazing to me to read how the fans of each program view their own.   I've recently seen Arkansas, A&M, Ole Miss, MSU and Tennessee all claim they have the best facilities, the best fanbase, the most advantages, etc. etc.  Every single one of those schools actually think they are a Top four SEC destination.  Well, that's fucking ridiculous.  None of them are.  UT was, but that was two decades ago. 

Second is the WAY Auburn has lost games in the last few years.  I can take losing.  It happens.  What I can't fathom is coming out and looking like we've never seen a fucking football before.  With Gus, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.  We either look like total assclowns or we beat the fuck out of people.  That rollercoaster of dumbfuckery to awesomeness doesn't ever let me get settled or comfortable.  It's why an 8-3 season feels like 5-6.  Because we just look so totally inept that I can't get my mind around it.  It's painful to watch. 

So to answer your question?  I'd be a million percent happy with what I've always wanted -- which is to be competitive all the time and excellent some of the time -- so long as I didn't have to witness the monkey fucking a football scenarios and as long as I know that at some point the Crimpson dynasty will fade. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
No.  Not at all.

You and I both have no problem with losing.  It's a game, it happens.

But it's the WAY we are losing that drew our ire.  It's the shuffling of the QBs that cost us Clemson last year.  That's the kind of bullshit I expect from a guy coaching his first high school game, not a coach making in excess of 4M a year at a top 20 college.  It's the way he trotted White out when he wasn't ready to go back out (and what I'm terribly afraid of him doing this weekend with KJ) that made us question him.  It's the shell that he went into in the second half vs LSU.

And with Tubs, sure we'd have the head scratchers, I think I just saw Fred Talley run by my office window here at Georgia Tech.  But I don't recall the WTF moments quite like I do with Gus, meaning yes, we did have games where we just got our asses kicked (black saturday 2001 for starters), and yes, that's the coaches responsibility, but I don't recall watching a game, and wondering, Why in the fuck is Tubs doing this.

Am I on the fire Gus bandwagon?  No.  No way in hell do I want to be going through a coaching search next week.  And yes, I realize that means paying the man his money.  I expect he will get a 5 year extension at 6.5M/year, regardless if he wins or loses this weekend.

I think it goes back to when we hired him.  We all talked about his lack of head coaching experience, and that we didn't think Auburn was a place to learn on the job.  And maybe 2014-16 and 17 through the LSU game were him learning.  I don't know the answer to that.

Same page.  You and I are on it.  Wait, did that sound gay?  Yeah, I think that was totally gay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 12:41:39 PM »
I feel like it's Gus/Chip's offense. They both input. And now, Chip is calling plays.

I think that regardless of who was calling plays in the Clemson and LSU games, Stidham wasn't very far into the playbook.

We are quick to judge. In the old days, a first year qb AND oc together, usually made for a tough year. At least it was expected. I really don't remember when the last time is or even if we've experienced that.

Gus was just on a short leash because we haven't met our own expectations the last couple of years. And that's on him. But I'm not concerned right now if it really is feast or famine with Gus. I don't care if it is. He's worth it. If we can be in postion to play for it all 2 out of every 5 years?

Hell yeah, I'll take the down years and lack of consistency. But I think he's learned a whole lot about being a ceo coach and has made two fantastic hires. So, the consistency is coming around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »
Other than the passing game it's all the same minus a couple of dipsy dos and flea flickers.
So maybe they are co- coordinating in sequence. Whatever, it's working.

This
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »

And he totally has. The boy can throw the damn ball on a rope. He has made some throws the last 3 weeks that are as good as anybody. The kind of QB play that we have all seen and wondered in the last decade why in the hell Auburn cant get a QB like that. Outside of Cam, Stidham is on a fast track to being that guy.

Also, side note, after leaving the GA Southern game, the wife and I went to grab a bite to eat and saw Stidham and his family. I couldn't help but notice how upset he was with himself and his play on the field. Idk, maybe something just told me this guy was for real and was gonna do some great things at Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »
Are we being too fickle of fans?

I had to re-evaluate my fandom after a good week of practice.  I wanted Gus gone on the next bus out after the LSU game...because of his pattern of completely shitting the bed 2 maybe 3 times a season since 2014.  Then, after the Iron Bowl, I saw a stat...Auburn is the ONLY team to beat Nick Saban 4 times in his tenure at the crapstone.  Gus was a huge part of 3 of those wins.  And he is doing it by the rules it seems, which makes it all the much better.
I think I had been using them as the measuring stick for Gus and Auburn football as a whole.  I realized that I was wrong in that and I am here to admit it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
Same page.  You and I are on it.  Wait, did that sound gay?  Yeah, I think that was totally gay.
You two get a room
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »

All you had to do was hit LIKE!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
All you had to do was hit LIKE!

That's gay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 02:24:03 PM »
I had to re-evaluate my fandom after a good week of practice.  I wanted Gus gone on the next bus out after the LSU game...because of his pattern of completely shitting the bed 2 maybe 3 times a season since 2014.  Then, after the Iron Bowl, I saw a stat...Auburn is the ONLY team to beat Nick Saban 4 times in his tenure at the crapstone.  Gus was a huge part of 3 of those wins.  And he is doing it by the rules it seems, which makes it all the much better.
I think I had been using them as the measuring stick for Gus and Auburn football as a whole.  I realized that I was wrong in that and I am here to admit it.
Being man enough to admit when you’re wrong is one of the reasons I support you for the AD job.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
Being man enough to admit when you’re wrong is one of the reasons I support you for the AD job.

Oh, so he's pushing for the AD job now, is he?  Not so fast.  What about that time he rubbed The Bird on that young girl at Shipwreck Island Water Park while they waited in line for the water slide in 1994?  That's inappropriate groping of a sexual assaultive harassing nature.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »
Next up for the vols....sumlin.

Yes they've officially hit double digits on prospects (and subsequent rejects) now
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
You two get a room

Is this because I said I wouldn't sexually harass you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »
Is this because I said I wouldn't sexually harass you?

I thinly it was going to be perilous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."