Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2017-18 College Basketball Bitchin' and Moanin' Thread

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: 2017-18 College Basketball Bitchin' and Moanin' Thread
« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2018, 10:13:20 PM »
Sexton out with an abdominal injury.
That’s a punch in the gut.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2018, 10:30:50 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2018, 10:37:08 PM »
Seriously, this team fought hard.  Shots weren't falling and they hung in there.  Suddenly they couldn't hit a free throw in the second half or it would have been a different outcome imo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2018, 11:00:41 PM »
Still... Auburn gotta Auburn. 

I can't ever find anything on al.com about the basketball team.  Tonight?  Top of the page in bold. 

:taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2018, 06:51:38 AM »
Still... Auburn gotta Auburn. 

I can't ever find anything on al.com about the basketball team.  Tonight?  Top of the page in bold. 

:taunt:
Yeah and it's just like us to crap out against them. Could stomach a poor outing and a loss much better against anybody else.
Gotta bounce back!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »
Seriously, this team fought hard.  Shots weren't falling and they hung in there.  Suddenly they couldn't hit a free throw in the second half or it would have been a different outcome imo.

Like mentioned, free throws hurt AU. Another thing, AU wasn't really setting up for good shots especially in the first half.

I was expecting this to happen sooner than later. I mean it just happens and did for many top 25 teams last night. It just sux this loss was at Coleman.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:42:33 AM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
It just sux this loss was at Coleman.

This^^^  And of course, it would have to happen there because, Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2018, 11:05:57 PM »
Not a single visible word on al.com in regard to the basketball game today. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2018, 12:58:54 AM »
Not a single visible word on al.com in regard to the basketball game today.
Saturday morning I heard Pearl as a guest on ESPN's Dari and Mel.
Bruce sounded upbeat. They didn't ask anything about the situation and it was all about basketball...well...Kiper relates everything to football, even golf.
Nevertheless.
Dari is a roundball buddy of Pearls and kept pretty much on point about the team and they discussed the conference overall.
Mel asked if our 6-3 PF Deshaun Murray had a football background.
Also compared the team to UCF's season in football as a Cinderella.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:02:36 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »
Mufasa Heron
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22163016
Watched different clips of this.
The packed student section was downright dull until that moment.
The new AD Greene was even having a little welcome aboard exchange with Rod when it occurred.
And the animated reaction from our bench was bananas.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2018, 08:27:49 PM »
One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned but you can get ready for. With the hiring of Greene, this opens the door for black players in basketball and football.

It’s coming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »
One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned but you can get ready for. With the hiring of Greene, this opens the door for black players in basketball and football.

It’s coming.
Nice touch!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2018, 09:00:58 AM »
Posting this here, only because this was SUPPOSED to be the AJC's coverage of the Auburn-Georgia basketball game. This was the result.

http://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/georgia-collapses-auburn-and-that-mark-fox/rd03gju0Od5HRhm6h9UwjJ/

Georgia collapses at Auburn, and that’s on Mark Fox

January 20, 2018
AUBURN, Ala. —
This is the kind of game where Mark Fox loses support. It’s one thing to talk about operating a program the right way, which isn’t to be confused with the loveliest penitentiary on the plains, and to preach patience, building with the hope of a payoff down the line.

But this was game No. 18 in season No. 9. This is down the line.

Georgia lost to Auburn 79-65 on Saturday night. That alone might not seem like that big of a deal. Auburn surprisingly has been really good this season, despite holding out two players because of an on-going investigation, firing one assistant coach, placing two others on administrative leave and being led by a man, Bruce Pearl, whose just reward at the end of an otherwise successful season might be a firing with another NCAA show-cause penalty.

Pearl might not be the wholesome person in the world but he can coach. He’ll do great, whichever side he coaches in the Prisoners vs. Guards game.

Auburn is now 17-2 and ranked ninth in RPI and possibly second behind only Louisville by the FBI. (More on that shortly.) So it’s not like losing this game crushed the Bulldogs’ NCAA tournament hopes. They’re 12-6 and 3-4 in the SEC -- not great but not “it’s all over” numbers.

It’s more about how this latest loss happened. The Dogs led by 16 points late in the first half and 14 at halftime. That lead was gone six minutes into the second half. Auburn outscored Georgia 33-4 in one stretch from late in the first half, taking a 57-44 lead.

Some of it was Auburn, which shot nearly 59 percent (17 for 29)after a miserable first half (25 percent). But a lot of this was on Georgia. It played poor defensively, looked lifeless at times and did not respond well to the surroundings and the circumstances.

There are a lot young players on the team. But every team has young players. Collapses like this are a reflection on the coach. Is there any evidence to believe this will change before March?

“We just didn’t respond to the wave of the emotion in the building,” Fox said. “We just never got calmed down.”

And later: “Our defense just collapsed. I thought we had matured since that point (of holding a big lead). But our defense collapsed to start the half. Our defense just collapsed.”

He said it three times in case you missed that. Could’ve said it a dozen more.

The hallmark of this team has to be defense because nobody on the roster is consistent on offense but Yante Maten, who scored 17 points, but 11 of those came via free throws. Auburn was physical with him inside and did a nice job denying him the ball.

Fox: “I didn’t do a good enough job getting him the ball.”

No argument.

Juwan Parker summed things up best: “We just got punched in the mouth, and we didn’t respond.”

This was their chance. Auburn is good, but Auburn is wounded, to some degree.

There’s a large picture of Tigers coach Bruce Pearl on the wall as you enter the lobby of Auburn Arena. Just guessing: That will be coming down soon, along with Pearl.

This is Auburn. In the world of major collegiate athletics, the school resides at the corner of Success and Shame. Hazmat suits should be for sale at the campus bookstore.

Jay Jacobs, the former athletic director, recently resigned amid a typical run of germ warfare, including a major nationwide basketball scandal (which brought in not only the NCAA but the FBI), the abrupt retirement of the softball coach (after sexual-harassment complaints that stemmed from the pursuits of the coach’s son) and the firing of the baseball coach. There also was an ESPN report in October about a tutor allegedly taking a final exam for at least one football player in 2015. Auburn has denied that, but it’s still being investigated by the school.

In Auburn’s defense, the school didn’t corrupt Pearl. He was that way when he got here.
He enjoyed tremendous success at Tennessee – six NCAA tournament berths in six seasons, including an Elite Eight and two Sweet Sixteens – but was fired in 2011 amid NCAA sanctions and was given a three-year show-cause penalty.

Now, Pearl has Auburn on a path to the tournament. Bu the Tigers are among the programs caught in the FBI’s investigation into college basketball for bribery, corruption and wire fraud. Chuck Person, who was Pearl’s most visible assistant and was heavily involved in recruiting top players Austin Wiley and Daniel Purifoy, was arrested and charged with bribery (read: buying players). Two other aides to Pearl were placed on administrative leave. Wiley was declared ineligible for the rest of the season, and Purifoy can expect the same decision.

Pearl? He’s working with the backdrop of a new athletic director (Allan Greene from Buffalo) and a school president (Steven Leath) who’s clearly uncomfortable with the investigation.

Some of Leath’s emails to fans were acquired by AL.com in November, and one included this excerpt: “Having three of (Pearl’s) employees suspended or terminated is troublesome at best. His unwillingness to even talk to me about it is particularly troublesome.”

Leath reiterated his concerns at Green’s introductory news conference Friday, saying that while, “Bruce and his staff are doing a great job” on the court: "Clearly, Bruce knows that my expectation is that sooner or later he's going to have to come in and talk to me and others on campus about what's going on in the program …”

This looked like it would be easy. (OK, let’s not go down that road.)
But everything Auburn shot in the second half seemed to go in. Bryce Brown poured in 28. The Tigers made five 3-pointers early. They went on runs of 13-2, then 27-4. That was it.

Georgia should be past these kinds of collapses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
Nice touch!
Thank you jmar.

It’s nice to feel appreciated. Even if it’s only once like every 45,074 posts. It’s encouraging. And nice to know that someone appreciates my talent.

Unlike the many, many of the complete wasted life losers on here.

You have a good eye my friend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
Fuck Georgia

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2018, 09:28:14 AM »
Mufasa Heron

OOOOH. Sayitagain. Sayitagain....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

djsimp

« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »
Posting this here, only because this was SUPPOSED to be the AJC's coverage of the Auburn-Georgia basketball game. This was the result.

http://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/georgia-collapses-auburn-and-that-mark-fox/rd03gju0Od5HRhm6h9UwjJ/

Couldn't stomach to read all of it.  :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."