Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The 45

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The 45
« on: September 26, 2017, 11:28:08 PM »
Chuck's #45 is retired.  His name and number are on the facing at the bottom of the upper deck.

Should it come down?  Should players be able to use that number again? 

USC still displays OJ's jersey and Heisman, but all he did was murder people. He didn't hurt the school directly. 

Reggie Bush has vanished from USC.  No Heisman display, no jersey hanging. His #5 is technically "unretired" but nobody has or likely will wear it. 

I assume we'll be asked to completely disassociate Auburn from Person which means his name has to come down, but I don't know that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: The 45
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:20:50 AM »
I think after we receive sanctions, yes.

And he should lose priority parking too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
I think after we receive sanctions, yes.

And he should lose priority parking too.

He will still get his paycheck though, right?  It's the Auburn way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »

Is there a farm somewhere around there he could buy? 

Can we give him an office in the complex? 

What about making him AD? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »

it'll be interesting to see Pitino come walking away with his buyout. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:28:34 PM »
it'll be interesting to see Pitino come walking away with his buyout.
That's going to be a large sum
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »
If this stuff sticks? Yes...it needs to come down

But another side of me asks if this is similar to the Pete rose situation? Should something he did as a non player take away his player accomplishment. It's a valid debate. But since this is an amateur sport and with the nature of chucks trangression (with money and players' careers) - I have to lean to taking it down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
If this stuff sticks? Yes...it needs to come down

But another side of me asks if this is similar to the Pete rose situation? Should something he did as a non player take away his player accomplishment. It's a valid debate. But since this is an amateur sport and with the nature of chucks trangression (with money and players' careers) - I have to lean to taking it down.

If Auburn suffers from his poor decisions, then yes, it cometh down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 02:05:21 PM »
If Auburn suffers from his poor decisions, then yes, it cometh down.
Regardless to me if Auburn suffers.  What he did was illegal, and worse He did it while a coach at Auburn, if guilty it should come down period.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
If there's a "disassociate" order from the NCAA we won't have any choice.  It'll have to come down. 

Meanwhile, Pat Dye says "whew...."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »
I would say we should have a jersey burning party, but then I realized that grown men wouldn't wear jerseys anyway.  Wiregrass, it's okay to burn yours though if you want.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »
If there's a "disassociate" order from the NCAA we won't have any choice.  It'll have to come down. 

Meanwhile, Pat Dye says "whew...."

You boys. You boys done become men out theyyyar tonight. I don't care what that dad blamed scoreboard says. You boys laid ya guts on the line and you boys become men tonight. And I'm proud of ya.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 06:53:38 PM »
I’m a little surprised at the National narrative.

We can stop pretending that this is amateur. Put rules in place to regulate the sport like the NBA or NFL. 

I’ve heard calls for colleges to draft high school players. Don’t see how that would work because how can you tell a kid who wants to major in forestry that he has to go to UAB because they drafted him?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
I’m a little surprised at the National narrative.

We can stop pretending that this is amateur. Put rules in place to regulate the sport like the NBA or NFL. 

I’ve heard calls for colleges to draft high school players. Don’t see how that would work because how can you tell a kid who wants to major in forestry that he has to go to UAB because they drafted him?
I listened to Brandon Marcello podcast and in one breath he was like "The money in college athletes is about to stop. We're about to stop seeing multimillion dollar investments into athletics departments, ESPN rankings are tanking so those TV deals are drying up, the only logical conclusion is we're going to have to pay these players within 5 years."

:blink:

Do you even logic, bro? How does this make any sense? I thought the whole justification before this Tuesday was that it was a multimillion dollar operation and they weren't getting their fair cut? Even that argument was based on bullshit when you consider it's a very small handful of schools that actually turn profit, and especially when you factor in Title IX that would require ALL sports, men and women, be paid the same. Now that there's going to be less money to go around NOW's the perfect time to pay the players above and beyond scholarships and stipends. Whut?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 11:38:36 AM »
I listened to Brandon Marcello podcast and in one breath he was like "The money in college athletes is about to stop. We're about to stop seeing multimillion dollar investments into athletics departments, ESPN rankings are tanking so those TV deals are drying up, the only logical conclusion is we're going to have to pay these players within 5 years."

:blink:

Do you even logic, bro? How does this make any sense? I thought the whole justification before this Tuesday was that it was a multimillion dollar operation and they weren't getting their fair cut? Even that argument was based on bullshit when you consider it's a very small handful of schools that actually turn profit, and especially when you factor in Title IX that would require ALL sports, men and women, be paid the same. Now that there's going to be less money to go around NOW's the perfect time to pay the players above and beyond scholarships and stipends. Whut?

I think if anything college athletics will go back to what they should be. An amateur sport extension of the SCHOOL. Or at least it should. When the NCAA allowed espn, adidas, under armor, cbs, Nike etc to come in and drive the model, it went amock. And we all still pretended it was amateur. It became big money business.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »
I think if anything college athletics will go back to what they should be. An amateur sport extension of the SCHOOL. Or at least it should. When the NCAA allowed espn, adidas, under armor, cbs, Nike etc to come in and drive the model, it went amock. And we all still pretended it was amateur. It became big money business.
Completely agree. It was the problem before Tuesday. Just boggles the mind that apparently sports writers are so hell bent on "payin the dang players" that they somehow think it's the SOLUTION to too much money changing hands.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
Not for nothing but doesn't the FBI have bigger things to be looking into than college basketball....just saying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »

they will not go back at all...the money is too important.  perhaps a regulatory branch {or at least a stronger one]...like the SE Commission to steer it better.

i don't agree with paying the players.  i would rather have them do away with the one and done type rules.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 11:55:01 AM »
Not for nothing but doesn't the FBI have bigger things to be looking into than college basketball....just saying.

Yes...Hillary.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 12:02:22 PM »
i don't agree with paying the players.  i would rather have them do away with the one and done type rules.
100% agree.  I think paying players would open Pandora's Box

Here's the thing to me, no one is making any of these kids play football or basketball.

You don't want to play don't play.  Go to college like the rest of us went, or don't go at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum