Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The 45

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: The 45
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »
100% agree.  I think paying players would open Pandora's Box

Here's the thing to me, no one is making any of these kids play football or basketball.

You don't want to play don't play.  Go to college like the rest of us went, or don't go at all.

So you don’t see a problem when a kid goes to college, makes a memorable play and then the university and half a dozen apparel companies make millions selling his #32 jerseys? What happens when that player graduates but doesn’t make the NFL? 

They profited from his name and likeness. Seems unfair.

I’d prefer a model where the players get a percentage of apparel and merchandise sales but they money is invested and can’t be touched until after graduation or three years after leaving, whichever comes first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »
So you don’t see a problem when a kid goes to college, makes a memorable play and then the university and half a dozen apparel companies make millions selling his #32 jerseys? What happens when that player graduates but doesn’t make the NFL? 

I don't see a problem.

Last time I checked College never guaranteed anything. I went to Auburn all they guaranteed was I 'd get an education, not a job.

A player chooses to play so that he can get a job, whether that job is in the NFL or in a boardroom doesn't make a difference to me.  The kids that are selected to be offered a scholarship are given free room and board, books, education, food, tutors, the ability to excel at school. 

They are given every opportunity to succeed.  It was a lot more than I had when I went to college.

The only thing I disagree with is that if they don't make it in the NFL they should be allowed to finish school for free including all of those things they got on scholly including an graduate degree year if they so wanted.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:28:24 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »

I’d prefer a model where the players get a percentage of apparel and merchandise sales but they money is invested and can’t be touched until after graduation or three years after leaving, whichever comes first.

Intresting.   Suppose I'm in the agronomy department...as a undergraduate doing research for a professor.  I find a type of Zoysia that is mole cricket resistant.  Any chance I see any of the royalties from future sales...most likely not.  The University you bet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »

I don't think any model will work.  The truth is that the money isn't there like everyone seems to think it is.

The money goes to fund other sports. There are many universities athletic teams that operate in the red, and simply wouldn't be able to afford to do this.  I would garner that there are probably less than 40 teams that could probably compete.

I just think when you open that wormhole it will just get bigger and bigger.  Which players get money? All the players? Which sports? What about women's sports you better believe Title IX would be involved. 

I see no good model that would come from it.   It's amateur sports lets keep it that way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »
Intresting.   Suppose I'm in the agronomy department...as a undergraduate doing research for a professor.  I find a type of Zoysia that is mole cricket resistant.  Any chance I see any of the royalties from future sales...most likely not.  The University you bet.
Exactly!

Ask the guys that invented Gatorade how they are doing?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »
Exactly!

Water sucks. It really, really sucks. Water sucks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
Not for nothing but doesn't the FBI have bigger things to be looking into than college basketball....just saying.
I though Buzz determined that they have a branch office in Tuscaloosa. Maybe things were slow.
Care for some wiretapping?
Sure why not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »
Exactly!

They're all dead, Jim.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »
Yes...Hillary.

Funny. Because I had the same response last night. It's true it's true.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 01:57:21 PM »

Iffin we're going back to what college sports are truly supposed to be (like the other sports not named basketball football and baseball), there wouldn't be the big business exploitation off of "not for profit" schools and "amateur" athletes. That's really what college athletics should be at it's core. What's driving this whole thing is schools who CAN make money off of the athletes but athletes who CANT. There is a carrot there they can't have. Take that away and most of this would settle down. It needs to go back to being truly amateur.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »
I don't see a problem.

Last time I checked College never guaranteed anything. I went to Auburn all they guaranteed was I 'd get an education, not a job.

But what if Auburn (and Nike, adidas, Under Armour, Russell, Wal Marks and Antigua) were making tons of money selling Brian K lab coats based on your stellar performance in your biology class?  What if when you walked across campus on any given day you'd see a dozen or more people wearing a lab coat with Brian K on the back?  And you didn't get a penny from that? 

I agree with what you're saying. 

They go to get an education ( )

But what they're doing at the school while they earn that degree allows Jay Jacobs to make a million a year, Gus to make $4 mil, Jay to approve a quazillion dollar video board, buildings to be built, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. 

I'm not playing the "poor oppressed athlete" violin by any stretch, but there does seem to be a disconnect somewhere.  Jay's fat ass wears Armani and gets $500 haircuts while Alexander Griffinston plays four years at safety, helps win an SEC title, sees 40,000 of jerseys with his number on them sold at various stores and leaves with a degree in criminal justice from which he'll earn $35,000 a year.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »

Do you have any of that sod?  I need some. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »
I need a little for my cataracts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 02:40:17 PM »
But what if Auburn (and Nike, adidas, Under Armour, Russell, Wal Marks and Antigua) were making tons of money selling Brian K lab coats based on your stellar performance in your biology class?  What if when you walked across campus on any given day you'd see a dozen or more people wearing a lab coat with Brian K on the back?  And you didn't get a penny from that? 

I agree with what you're saying. 

They go to get an education ( )

But what they're doing at the school while they earn that degree allows Jay Jacobs to make a million a year, Gus to make $4 mil, Jay to approve a quazillion dollar video board, buildings to be built, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. 

I'm not playing the "poor oppressed athlete" violin by any stretch, but there does seem to be a disconnect somewhere.  Jay's fat ass wears Armani and gets $500 haircuts while Alexander Griffinston plays four years at safety, helps win an SEC title, sees 40,000 of jerseys with his number on them sold at various stores and leaves with a degree in criminal justice from which he'll earn $35,000 a year.
Did I get a free education out of it?  After I go pro in biology I will market a new labcoat...Labcoat 2.0 and sell the fuck out of it.  Auburn provided me with an arena to market my labcoat and now I have new labcoat market I can sell to.

They say the school gives them nothing in exchange for their playing for the school...the NFL being their ultimate goal.

I say aside from everything else I mentioned they were also given a platform, facilities, and TV to showcase their ability to go to the next level.

You posted that gif of laughing about the education they get, (I would argue college is a waste altogether, everything learned is on the job, but that's a whole nother discussion) but just using football we had what 15-20 something guys graduate off the team last year... 3 of them are playing in the NFL what are the rest of them doing? Having a college education sure isn't hurting them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
Did I get a free education out of it?  After I go pro in biology I will market a new labcoat...Labcoat 2.0 and sell the fuck out of it.  Auburn provided me with an arena to market my labcoat and now I have new labcoat market I can sell to.

They say the school gives them nothing in exchange for their playing for the school...the NFL being their ultimate goal.

I say aside from everything else I mentioned they were also given a platform, facilities, and TV to showcase their ability to go to the next level.

You posted that gif of laughing about the education they get, (I would argue college is a waste altogether, everything learned is on the job, but that's a whole nother discussion) but just using football we had what 15-20 something guys graduate off the team last year... 3 of them are playing in the NFL what are the rest of them doing? Having a college education sure isn't hurting them.

I'm really not disagreeing with you.  They should go for the education, but the reality is most of them are there to get a shot at the NFL.  That's the dream.  I also agree that the current educational system is a sham.  I'd prefer that it were trimmed to two years of basic reading/writing/math and then two years of apprentice work at the job you think you want.  At least then you'd know. 

I just know what it was like for a guy playing there who's mom was working a couple of jobs to get by, who got a free education, true, but also went on the field on game day seeing a thousand people wearing HIS jersey in the stands, who could play as himself (with a fake name) in EA Sports NCAA Football, whose image was used to market the program all over the place and he didn't get shit from that.  Pro career fizzled quickly due to injury.  So yeah, he got a degree.  Got it in the major he was advised to take.  When the pro thing didn't work out he had to go back to school. 

It just seems wrong to me for Gus to drive a $150,000 BMW when the players, like this guy, sometimes really do barely scrape by. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »
I'm really not disagreeing with you.  They should go for the education, but the reality is most of them are there to get a shot at the NFL.  That's the dream.  I also agree that the current educational system is a sham.  I'd prefer that it were trimmed to two years of basic reading/writing/math and then two years of apprentice work at the job you think you want.  At least then you'd know. 

I just know what it was like for a guy playing there who's mom was working a couple of jobs to get by, who got a free education, true, but also went on the field on game day seeing a thousand people wearing HIS jersey in the stands, who could play as himself (with a fake name) in EA Sports NCAA Football, whose image was used to market the program all over the place and he didn't get shit from that.  Pro career fizzled quickly due to injury.  So yeah, he got a degree.  Got it in the major he was advised to take.  When the pro thing didn't work out he had to go back to school. 

It just seems wrong to me for Gus to drive a $150,000 BMW when the players, like this guy, sometimes really do barely scrape by.

All goes back to college athletics being big business and should it be? I don't think it should. But as nook said it's hard to get the money out once it's in. I do think the model it sits on now is very hypocritical.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 03:22:21 PM »
So yeah, he got a degree.  Got it in the major he was advised to take.  When the pro thing didn't work out he had to go back to school. 

That's where I think that if you are given a full ride scholarship that even if you leave early you should be able to come back and finish your degree for free with all the entitlements of a scholarship including a graduate year.  Give each scholarship kid 6 years of free room and board, tuition, and books.  The leave after 3 they have 3 more years (within a window, say maybe 10 years) to finish their degree even go to graduate school if they want.

and I agree coaches shouldn't get paid what they are being paid. It's ridiculous.  I also think the NCAA should back off some of its current rules.  Like if a coach leaves for another job, the athletes should have a right to go elsewhere too and not have to sit a year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »
The kids that are selected to be offered a scholarship are given free room and board, books, education, food, tutors, the ability to excel at school.
They get more than that. They get cost of living stipends. Everyone conveniently leaves that out of the equation. THEY ALREADY ARE GETTING PAID. No, not millions of dollars, but add the stipends to the meal plans, the scholarships, and unlimited resources for ensuring their success as students, and it's not a bad gig.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
They get more than that. They get cost of living stipends. Everyone conveniently leaves that out of the equation. THEY ALREADY ARE GETTING PAID. No, not millions of dollars, but add the stipends to the meal plans, the scholarships, and unlimited resources for ensuring their success as students, and it's not a bad gig.

do you know if the stipends are equal across all sports?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 04:57:27 PM »

To take it a step further, they're getting all kinds of AU apparel for 4 years, travel to games by plane/bus.  Hotel, motel Holiday Inn.  I know the average cost of a 4 year degree at both AU and Bama is right at $100K, give or take a few thousand.  I'm just guessing here and may be way off, but when you add up all the things named that are over and above what the average student would spend over 4 years, would you think it's closer to $250K for the foosballz player?  Here's another consideration.  My kid just got some info on several colleges from school, including AU.  The average tuition per year for in-state students is just over $10K.  Out of state is over $29K per year.  My Chizad math says that's around $75K extra on the value of a scholarship for an out of state student athlete. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."