Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Riding with Roy!

Re: Riding with Roy!
« Reply #440 on: December 13, 2017, 03:19:23 PM »
No matter what the democrats crow, this isn't a paradigm shift.  The next time this comes up, so long as the Republican party nominates hasn't murdered a busload of nuns, Doug Jones will be booted out of office, and hard.

I think it will be very much like Scott Brown in MA. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #441 on: December 13, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
I'll also add that this very much reminds me of the first election I voted in, the 1991 Louisiana Gubernatorial election.  The first, and only, time I've voted for a Democrat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #442 on: December 13, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »
I'll be perfectly honest.  I sat at the voting table for a long time yesterday. 

I found Roy detestable.  Not for the WP allegations, which I consider little more than a political smear job, but just on general principles. 

I may agree with his stance on religious displays. I may agree more with his position on same sex marriage and some other social issues than I do with the liberal side.  My problem with him was the delivery.  I have no reason to doubt his personal faith, but I felt like it was more for show.  It felt orchestrated.  His pandering also gave me reason to think he was not very intelligent. His wife really needed to never speak in public. They came off as backwater rubes.  I didn't care for that.

The ad where he turned and leered into the camera unnerved me.  Quite by accident I today discovered the "minds" behind that horrifying mistake.   

So I sat there looking at the ballot. 

Do I vote for Moore knowing that he's more than likely going to say something stupid, cause an uproar in the Senate with his antics and be a true wildcard when it comes to his voting record?

Do I vote for Doug, knowing that he's not a bright guy either and that I oppose him on virtually every position? 

Do I squander my vote and write in something, knowing that NOT choosing lets others make the choice for me without my true input? 

There was no good answer.  It came down to a choice between ideologies as opposed to candidates.  As far as that goes, I couldn't support Jones.  I don't agree with Moore on some things either, but...

I really think Ivey should have declared Moore unfit and either cancelled the election or substituted a viable candidate. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #443 on: December 13, 2017, 04:05:27 PM »
I'll also add that this very much reminds me of the first election I voted in, the 1991 Louisiana Gubernatorial election.  The first, and only, time I've voted for a Democrat.

I was 18 and voted for Jimmy Carter, it was then I started hating myself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

chinook

« Reply #444 on: December 13, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »

In '76 or '80?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #445 on: December 13, 2017, 04:17:47 PM »

My choice was between a Wizard or a Lizard.  I opted for the Lizard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #446 on: December 13, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #447 on: December 13, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »

Got an early start on the rest, huh?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #448 on: December 13, 2017, 04:42:51 PM »
My choice was between a Wizard or a Lizard.  I opted for the Lizard.
Always opt for Markeith Cooper
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #449 on: December 13, 2017, 04:58:14 PM »
I voted for Ron Bishop, for the record. I was never, ever going to vote for Roy Moore. He's more suited to be an activist pastor than a politician. And I could not reconcile my personal beliefs with the things Doug Jones supports in spite of the fact he comes off like a more or less decent person. So I voted for an actual third party candidate and then went to work.

No. You were a surrogate vote for Jones.
You can try to spin it any way you want.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #450 on: December 13, 2017, 07:16:53 PM »
The write in vote assholes were the difference.  That's what's sad.  Fools who shoved their vote up a wild hog's ass.  Why bother to even go to the polls if your dumb ass is going to write "Nick Saban" in the box. 

Fucking idiots.

Not at all. 

Just don’t waste the vote.  Writing in santa or bugs bunny is worthless.

Don’t care who you choose — if you live here, if not fuck off — but just choose.

It's a wasted vote.  Period....I celebrate the amusing write-in.  I've done it innumerable times....

:funny: *snicker* *snicker*
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #451 on: December 13, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »
:funny: *snicker* *snicker*

If you don't see the difference, I can't help you. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #452 on: December 13, 2017, 11:54:48 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #453 on: December 14, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »
Always opt for Markeith Cooper

He would have been much better than Edwin Fucking Edwards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #454 on: December 14, 2017, 07:57:20 AM »
It’s not a wasted vote. They could have not shown up at all and Roy would have still been defeated. Or they could have just as easily been a democrat who hated Doug Jones and wrote in instead.

The write in votes are only a factor if you believe that all write in voters were republicans who just refused to vote for Roy.  And even if that’s the case, it’s the Roy fans faults for putting a terrible candidate in a pivotal election against a democrat.

I'm not sure who put him up to running. Bannon didn't really get behind him until late in the process. And it was really only to spite McConnell. The latter pissed many off in the initial primary unnecessarily. It got moore mad. It got his supporters mad. And it got Bannon involved which was key. McConnell picked a fight and he lost it via a GOP cannibalization. If he had just shut up and let trump roll with strange this would have been a very ho hum Election. He poked a stick at people (moore voters) who otherwise would have stayed home for the primary. People like to blame Bannon here but moore wasn't a Bannon candidate like some of the others running next year. Bannon was a symptom not the cause. Bannon merely picked his side when it was an obvious binary choice. It was the proverbial flipping the bird and grabbing his crotch towards McConnell.

Brooks had very little money. And ran an avg campaign. Strange had money and support but ran a horrible campaign. He never once told the public who he was. So I think there is lots of blame to go around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #455 on: December 14, 2017, 07:59:26 AM »
Hate to let you down...especially given the high state of discourse in this forum of late.

You're usually better than that. That's all I'm saying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #456 on: December 14, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
He's as vanilla bean, run-of-the-mill Democrat as they come. I get that that's not your cup of tea, and that's fine.

Roy Moore is extremely, outrageously far right, outside of the norm. There is not an equivalence with Doug Jones being equally outside the norm to the left.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/12/08/abortion-is-the-get-out-of-jail-free-car

An excerpt:I had no idea until after-the-fact that the Libertarian that got virtually all of the write-in votes that probably had a significant impact in the race? I know the guy personally. Our cubicles used to sit across from eachother. My band played a party at his house. No idea he was a Libertarian, let alone a politician until I heard his name last night. Lucky for you all, you didn't have to hear me shill for him. He's a good dude, and you probably will have to listen to me shill for him in future elections, so look forward to that.

None of what you posted from that "blog" changes the fact that 90% of his views and stances historically are considered far left. He's not the centrist democrat that Howell Heflin or Zell Miller was. I've researched the guy and I certainly didn't form that view from a moore Campaign ad. Actually I never saw the first Moore ad during this election - probably because I live in a more rural area (waste of time for moore) and watch a georgia news market
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #457 on: December 14, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
I voted for Ron Bishop, for the record. I was never, ever going to vote for Roy Moore. He's more suited to be an activist pastor than a politician. And I could not reconcile my personal beliefs with the things Doug Jones supports in spite of the fact he comes off like a more or less decent person. So I voted for an actual third party candidate and then went to work.

I would loathe him as a pastor. Not my cup of tea or style.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #458 on: December 14, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »
None of what you posted from that "blog" changes the fact that 90% of his views and stances historically are considered far left. He's not the centrist democrat that Howell Heflin or Zell Miller was. I've researched the guy and I certainly didn't form that view from a moore Campaign ad. Actually I never saw the first Moore ad during this election - probably because I live in a more rural area (waste of time for moore) and watch a georgia news market
Reason isn't just "some blog", but ok.

Show me the exact quote from Doug Jones where he explicitly says he's for partial birth abortion. Not where whatever "blog" you read paraphrased for him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #459 on: December 14, 2017, 09:15:10 AM »