Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Statutes

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: The Statutes
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
I agree with this. Using "thing of value" to mean dirt on your opponent is stretching...a lot. A "thing of value" is "We can't pay you money, but we can give you this original Van Gough." Not information you can't put a monetary value on...

Perhaps not "emails" per se, but illegally obtained emails from the United States Secretary of State?  Valuable. 

I would also submit that in a race with stakes as high as the White House, a data dump of your opponent that significant would certainly be worth something.  There is value in them.

The only reason we don't have a monetary dollar amount to pin on them, is because the market for them is entirely black.  There are plenty of buyers for that kind of information, but none that want to be known as such.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »
What legitimate means would that be?  Unless Hillary voluntarily turned them over or their production was compelled via subpoena, then they were obtained illegitimately.  That is to say: illegally.

Huge speculation on your part. Yuuuuuuge. 

At the time of the meeting, there was no public mention of any hacking or meddling or interference or any of that.  For all they knew Hillary's camp and/or the DNC had approached their side (and likely did in reality) offering to trade favors.  Zero reason to believe that the information was obtained through anything other than normal channels. 

This is a clear instance of you applying your personal biases and making assumptions based on your own hopes and dreams.  You see nefarious because that's what you desperately want to be true. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »
Perhaps not "emails" per se, but illegally obtained emails from the United States Secretary of State?  Valuable. 

I would also submit that in a race with stakes as high as the White House, a data dump of your opponent that significant would certainly be worth something.  There is value in them.

The only reason we don't have a monetary dollar amount to pin on them, is because the market for them is entirely black.  There are plenty of buyers for that kind of information, but none that want to be known as such.

Wrong. 

You're again assuming something that's not based in reality. 

Data dump of opponent's emails?  Nope. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »

I know "whataboutism" gets thrown around a lot, but in my opinion, it's just another word for "precedent", or not being a hypocrite. Why is the Clinton campaign getting dirt on Trump from Ukraine not apples-to-apples here? Opposition research is a ubiquitous part of American politics, and politicians are not offering up dirt on themselves consensually. The "whataboutism" applies, in my opinion, if the argument is that Clinton doing it is evil and treasonous, but the Trump doing it is a "nothingburger". And vice versa. I'm saying both are bad, both are unseemly, both are at least borderline unethical, but neither are illegal.

I'm just calling balls & strikes here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
I know "whataboutism" gets thrown around a lot, but in my opinion, it's just another word for "precedent", or not being a hypocrite. Why is the Clinton campaign getting dirt on Trump from Ukraine not apples-to-apples here? Opposition research is a ubiquitous part of American politics, and politicians are not offering up dirt on themselves consensually. The "whataboutism" applies, in my opinion, if the argument is that Clinton doing it is evil and treasonous, but the Trump doing it is a "nothingburger". And vice versa. I'm saying both are bad, both are unseemly, both are at least borderline unethical, but neither are illegal.

Basically how I feel about all of this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »

The two situations are not analogous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 09:38:55 AM »
The two situations are not analogous.
I'm guessing your position really is whataboutism as I defined it.

Please explain why they're different.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »
What legitimate means would that be?  Unless Hillary voluntarily turned them over or their production was compelled via subpoena, then they were obtained illegitimately.  That is to say: illegally.

No where in anything that I have read, did the meeting or planned meeting talk about emails.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 09:46:04 AM »
Basically how I feel about all of this.

Yep
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »
I'm guessing your position really is whataboutism as I defined it.

Please explain why they're different.

1) Where did the meeting with the Ukranians happen?
2) Who initiated it?
3) Was information actually exchanged and how was it used?
4) How long did it go on (more than three years)
5) What was Clinton's position at the time?
6) What was the position of the people who were involved in the meetings?

There's a difference between a single non-meeting and a long history of exchanges/conversations/efforts
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 10:11:58 AM »
I got this to say about the whole mess.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 10:12:21 AM »
No where in anything that I have read, did the meeting or planned meeting talk about emails.

Fair point.  The phrase was "official documents."  Which could be more damning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 10:13:08 AM »

I'm not absolving anyone, regardless of party.  I'm simply laying DJTJr's own admissions alongside the applicable US Code provisions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »
For me, this is bearing out the reason I was ambivalent to who won this election. I thought Trump was probably a smidge more terrible than Hillary all around, but that that would be at least counterbalanced by the fact that the media would actually hold him accountable for said terribleness, whereas I'm fairly positive any and all Clinton malfeasance would be poo-poo'ed as Fox News conspiracies. We probably wouldn't know about Ukraine, and no one would bother one tiny bit to look for it.

I do think they're overcorrecting even more than I expected, maybe even to a point that causes more harm than good as a whole. But I do still prefer a president be held to this level of scrutiny over allowing them to get away with any and everything with zero criticism.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »
For me, this is bearing out the reason I was ambivalent to who won this election. I thought Trump was probably a smidge more terrible than Hillary all around, but that that would be at least counterbalanced by the fact that the media would actually hold him accountable for said terribleness, whereas I'm fairly positive any and all Clinton malfeasance would be poo-poo'ed as Fox News conspiracies. We probably wouldn't know about Ukraine, and no one would bother one tiny bit to look for it.

I do think they're overcorrecting even more than I expected, maybe even to a point that causes more harm than good as a whole. But I do still prefer a president be held to this level of scrutiny over allowing them to get away with any and everything with zero criticism.

I almost agreed with you(felt a little dirty) until you said,  "this level of scrutiny"!

This is not scrutinization. This is outright attacking. I too want ALL government to be held accountable, but this is not it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
I almost agreed with you(felt a little dirty) until you said,  "this level of scrutiny"!

This is not scrutinization. This is outright attacking. I too want ALL government to be held accountable, but this is not it.

Yep.  Scrutiny is looking at what happened not just making crap up because they mad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
Yep.  Scrutiny is looking at what happened not just making crap up because they mad.

Junior published this all himself.  There is no dispute that this happened.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »
Fair point.  The phrase was "official documents."  Which could be more damning.

"Official" to who though? The music publicist?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2017, 07:07:48 PM »
Junior published this all himself.  There is no dispute that this happened.

"This" is nothing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »
"This" is nothing.
I agree, it's nothing...compared to what's coming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs