Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Week One

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Week One
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »
This whole thing is a stupid argument because nothing has happened yet. It's all part of negotiations. When he ACTUALLY imposes a 20% tariff from ALL imports like you are suggesting, then I will worry. But right now? I see it as negotiations to make trade deals more fair for the American people.

I think may actually be one of those straw and hominy arguments too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »
I think may actually be one of those straw and hominy arguments too.

Why are you guys responding to this dipshit. He has no idea how Wal-Mart even works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 12:51:04 PM »
Why are you guys responding to this dipshit. He has no idea how Wal-Mart even works.
You don't.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/29/walmart-made-in-usa/
Walmart Is Still Making Bogus Made In USA Claims Says Ad Watchdog

You also don't understand that even things manufactured in the USA require parts made elsewhere, including Mexico.

"JUS' BUY 'MERICAN, COMMIE!!! IF YOU'D BUY FORD TRUCKS INSTEAD OF YER LITTLE FAG CAR IT WUDN'T BE NO PROBLEM!!"

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/26/news/companies/trump-mexican-auto-jobs/
The Ford F-150, the best selling car or truck in the United States, gets 15% of its parts from Mexico, according to government data. The Ram 1500 pickup, Fiat Chrysler's best selling vehicle, gets 27% of its parts from Mexico. And GM's best selling Chevy Silverado gets more than half its parts from foreign plants, and uses a Mexican-built engine. The GMC Sierra also gets more than half of its parts from Mexico.

You have a child's understanding of what "Made in America" actually means, let alone the nuances of economics and trade.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:52:45 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »
You don't.

You also don't understand that even things manufactured in the USA require parts made elsewhere, including Mexico.

"JUS' BUY 'MERICAN, COMMIE!!! IF YOU'D BUY FORD TRUCKS INSTEAD OF YER LITTLE FAG CAR IT WUDN'T BE NO PROBLEM!!"

You have a child's understanding of what "Made in America" actually means, let alone the nuances of economics and trade.

Agreed completely. Which is why I personally think he is using this to negotiate. Contrary to your belief, Trump is not an idiot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »
Agreed completely. Which is why I personally think he is using this to negotiate. Contrary to your belief, Trump is not an idiot.

And you guys obviously aren't up to speed on the trade deficit the last 30 years. No one is saying to be an isolationist and ONLY make things here. The playing field just needs to be evened. And sorry but I guess I am one of the few who would rather spend the extra money of a quality item here that will last 2 decades versus a Chinese made piece of shit that has to be replaced every 12 months. The first thing that comes to mind are tools and things like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
My tool has stood the test of time for over 50 years.  Now, it might be missing a couple of nuts...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
You don't.

You are a moron. This will not affect Wal-mart. Wal-mart is not a buyer....

I never mentioned one thing about made in America. Once again, you are projecting because you are SO SMART!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:57:41 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »
You are a moron. This will not affect Wal-mart. Wal-mart is not a buyer....
You're wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »
And you guys obviously aren't up to speed on the trade deficit the last 30 years. No one is saying to be an isolationist and ONLY make things here. The playing field just needs to be evened. And sorry but I guess I am one of the few who would rather spend the extra money of a quality item here that will last 2 decades versus a Chinese made piece of shit that has to be replaced every 12 months. The first thing that comes to mind are tools and things like that.
Meh. Depends. If I use a tool a lot, then I spend more. If it will be just an occasional need, I go to Harbor Freight.
I don't buy Snap-on for a once in a five year job. There is a place for both.

If i were a full time mechanic, then yes, I would invest differently in tools.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
You're wrong.

They are not a buyer in the sense that you think. They will easily find products to broker from somewhere other than Mexico.

They do not buy every product on their shelves for resale. That is how they have been successful. It has been one of the most successful business models in history. How do you think they can have such drastic markdowns on products and stay in business? It's not their money they are losing.

Besides, it has been said they get 70% of their product form China.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:12:44 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 03:40:25 PM »
Besides, it has been said they get 70% of their product form China.

Is that why my kid has a permanent orange afro?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Ogre

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2017, 03:44:08 PM »
Is that why my kid has a permanent orange afro?

That's not why...   :bowl:  :gig:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »
You don't.

^

=

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
Just because you plug your ears and think you don't doesn't mean you don't.

i'm not sure what you are saying.  are you saying pow?  regardless, my momma told me not to put objects in my ears.

If you eat vegetables at all, you probably do and don't even know it. We import about $5 billion worth every year. And another billion and a half in processed fruits in vegetables. About $2 billion in snack foods. About $3 billion in beer and wine.

i don't doubt consumers will see an increase.  it will not be 20 percent at the register even if the 20 percent tariff was imposed. it would be less, much less...and in some cases you wouldn't even blink an eye. 

yes, i eat vegtables [and fruit].  i have a choice as to where and when i buy as well as from country of origin.  a vast majority of the vegetables and fruits my family consumes are grown in the USA.  why? we make choices through CSA's, local farmer markets and local grocery stores that promote USA grown products.  we have a vegetable garden.  the company I work for has a 4 acre garden for the employees too.  in case you forgotten or didn't even know i live in one of the more fertile and diversified agricultural valleys in the USA as well as living not terribly far from the San Joaquin Valley.

i will admit tomato, sweet pepper, eggplant, okra and hot pepper are not as available compared to abundance found in the warm south. the PNW cool weather limits local production to mid July - early September...that is okay.  we make a choice not to have BLT's in December...hot house tomatoes from Canada are mealy and lack flavor as well as the forced picked tomatoes from Mexico.  citrus...shit is getting real right now from California.  summer citrus, no thanks.

strawberries...the best are grown in Oregon and are available from April - the early frost of October. my family has a nice planting of strawberries that keep us fresh from mid-May to late-September.  in addition to strawberries...our valley grows peaches, cherries, nectarines, apricots, filberts and so much more that can be eaten fresh or preserved.  furthermore, i live 40 miles from the apple state and 80 miles from Hood River...a national Pear growing region in Oregon. 

i do enjoy bannas and avacados.  we eat a lot of avacados and many of those that we eat do come from California; however, product of Mexico labels have been inside my house.  oops...a splurge. have you ever done an avacado exfoliation?  importing does allow diversity but again i have a choice.  if it is too expensive then i do with out. at some point enough people are going to stop buying it and there will be a surplus driving the price down again from that imposed tax.  ching ching eatin' #bananas again. 

i would be more concerned about frost, drought, disease and labor strikes driving prices up whether or not it is at home or abroad. 

no doubt there are labor concerns and we can discuss that at a different time as well as the exporting portion of the equation.  i think the optimism, regarding the fruits of our land, is a resurge in American agriculture not just grain and soybeans. 

snack foods?...ummm yeah, whatever. 

beer and wine...i'm not going to elborate on this one in much detail...i live, like literally live, in Oregon wine country.  have you ever seen a hop farm?  i do every day.  i will menition i enjoy tequila but i might just start drinking more vodka.

Ford, GM, Walmart, Best Buy are all going to be hit hard with this tax

a lot of what i said above can apply to these trades as well; however, you have valid points.  i do firmly believe the 20 percent is a negotiating starting point as other folks have mentioned.   i think the hope and goal is to see a resurge in American manufacturing which would include these small parts.  there is so much cash that is going to be released from American corporations it will make your head spin.  quality of life can only improve.

If you can't understand that direct, obvious effect, there's no hope in trying to explain the ripple effect blunt tariffs like that have on an economy as a whole. You'd have to be an actual conservative with principles, not a cheerleader for President dipshit to already know that.

this just silly arrogance and discounts any openmindness of opinion and discourse you have.  is it affect or effect? heck i can never remember. 

Not to mention what this will do to Mexico's economy. BUT FUCK DA MEXICANS AMIRIGHT?!? I know you'll never be convinced of this cause science and studies and facts and learnin' are for fags, but currently more people emigrate from the US to Mexico than the other way around. Immigration from Mexico to the US peaked about a decade ago and has been dropping since. Expect that to turn back around starkly in the other direction once we cripple their economy again. Oh, but the wall will stop them, because it has magical powers and they can't just fly over it, or tunnel under it, or go around it.

the mexican government pretty much answered my response to your question.   my hope is a synergy between the two countries but I really think we need to put America first. 

Let alone the horrible optics of building a fucking wall to keep people out of our country. What other examples of this are there in history? North and South Korea? East and West Berlin? I remember Ronald Reagan tearing down the wall as a symbol of freedom and prosperity, and now the same people who cheered that are now cheering for the exact opposite to happen right here in America.

i agree.  building the wall is silly concept; however, if we can keep drugs, violence, terrorism, etc...then i'm for conceptual and practical means to do so.   

What the fuck happened to conservatism?

quite frankly it went away over the last 8 years

i will never be as twitter or internet smart as you and quite frankly i don't aspire to be.   

lastly, i appreciate the discussion and i apologize for previous knee jerk attitude or personal insults.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:00:33 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2017, 07:52:19 AM »

quite frankly it went away over the last 8 years

Whoa, kemo sabe.

Classic conservatism (small govt/fiscal responsibility) finally got thrown out the door when the R's couldn't beat the Bill Clinton machine.  They sold their principles for the religious vote and gave us W (who was by no measure a Conservative).

That said, true conservative values were on the decline for a long time prior to that due to the shift from "service" to "lifetime employment" up on the Hill.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »
Whoa, kemo sabe.

Classic conservatism (small govt/fiscal responsibility) finally got thrown out the door when the R's couldn't beat the Bill Clinton machine.  They sold their principles for the religious vote and gave us W (who was by no measure a Conservative).

That said, true conservative values were on the decline for a long time prior to that due to the shift from "service" to "lifetime employment" up on the Hill.

I don't agree with you much politically, but this is spot on. Especially the "lifetime employment" statement.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »
Whoa, kemo sabe.

great points.  i'm not sure i agree with selling out to the religious vote, completely.  lost or gone were the religious zealots preaching the word and thumping the bibles door to door to the masses. gone were the conservative principles that came with them. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
great points.  i'm not sure i agree with selling out to the religious vote, completely.  lost or gone were the religious zealots preaching the word and thumping the bibles door to door to the masses. gone were the conservative principles that came with them.

The religious right was courted specifically by the Republican party with a focus on gay marriage and abortion as trigger campaign points (I'm not saying the Ds don't do the same thing).  The traditional religious positions on these issues is at direct odds with conservative values.  Addressing these issues proactively requires the government to intervene in private relationships far beyond the scope of the federal duties.

Thus, in courting the religious vote, the Republican party officially dropped all pretense of being the party of conservatism.

Plus, the spending under Bush would make a drunken sailor blush (again, Ds do as well, but without the hypocrisy.)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
The religious right was courted specifically by the Republican party with a focus on gay marriage and abortion as trigger campaign points (I'm not saying the Ds don't do the same thing).  The traditional religious positions on these issues is at direct odds with conservative values.  Addressing these issues proactively requires the government to intervene in private relationships far beyond the scope of the federal duties.

Thus, in courting the religious vote, the Republican party officially dropped all pretense of being the party of conservatism.

Plus, the spending under Bush would make a drunken sailor blush (again, Ds do as well, but without the hypocrisy.)

Back to the matter at hand...

I think Trump has done an admirable job so far.  His support among the people on the ground far outweighs the morons who run to the streets protesting every time he farts, the babbling talking heads on TV (which now includes Stephen A. and ESPN) and the Hollydoof elites. 

He's the first President I can remember in a while who does the right thing without waiting for a focus group, without worrying about what the <deleted> or the French are going to think. 

Down where it matters, there's a lot of hope and optimism, something I haven't seen in a long, long time. 

Fuck Meryl Streep.  What does she know about jobs or national security?  Fuck Michael Moore.  And Ashley Judd. And Madonna. And all the protesters. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:58:52 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
We as workers are losing ground. Bush, tax cuts to take jobs overseas. Trump, tax cuts to bring jobs back. I say put tariffs on all goods made overseas and brought in regardless, then let the cards fall where they may. With foreign-made products not selling because of higher prices, the companies will gladly pay for said relocation of production.

Screw 'em.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions