Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Overtime pay for everyone..and 40 acres....and a pony.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Overtime pay for everyone..and 40 acres....and a pony.
« on: May 18, 2016, 08:14:45 AM »
In a long list of bad shit here is another one.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/millions-more-americans-to-be-eligible-for-overtime-pay/ar-BBtb23Q

Moving to fatten low- and middle-income paychecks that have languished for years, the Obama administration on Tuesday unveiled a long-awaited rule that will make millions of Americans newly eligible for overtime pay.

While some businesses welcome the measure, many say it will simply force them to reshuffle salaries to get around the regulation. Others fear it will mean demoting white-collar workers and altering workplace cultures.

The rule, slated to be formally released Wednesday, would essentially double the threshold at which executive, administrative and professional employees are exempt from overtime pay to $47,476 from the current $23,660. That’s expected to make 4.2 million additional workers eligible to receive time-and-a-half wages for each hour they put in beyond 40 a week.

Labor Secretary Thomas Perez said the salary threshold was originally intended to exempt high-paid executives but instead has denied overtime to low-level retail supervisors and entry-level office workers who often toil 50 to 70 hours a week.

“Too few people are getting the overtime that (federal law) intended,” he told reporters. “It’s simply not right.”

Vice President Biden called the change a critical part of the White House’s goal of “restoring and expanding access to the middle class. The middle class is getting clobbered.”

The rule represents the administration's most prominent initiative to lift middle-class wages. President Obama's call to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to more than $10 has been stymied by Republicans in Congress. The share of full-time workers who qualify for overtime has fallen from 62% in 1975 to 7% today, according to the administration. The new rule, which would take effect Dec. 1,  would allow 35% of workers to qualify.

Many companies expect to convert salaried workers to hourly employees who will need to punch a clock and track their hours, hurting morale in some cases. Some will likely maintain the status of salaried employees, but will still have to monitor their hours and net the extra pay for logging more than 40. Others will lift workers' base pay to the new threshold to avoid paying overtime.

Many small businesses can’t absorb the added cost and will instruct employees to work no more than 40 hours a week, bringing on part-time workers to pick up the slack, says Dan Bosch, head of regulatory policy for the National Federation of Independent Business. Perez said that will still be a plus because it will restore leisure time to overworked employees.

Yet some businesses plan to cut employees' base pay to offset the overtime, effectively skirting the requirement.

“The Obama rule puts a huge cost and regulatory burden on employers, who will face pressure to cut back on benefits and full-time employees,” says Trey Kovacs, policy analyst with the Competitive Enterprise Institute.

But U.S. Rep. Mark Takano, D-Calif., said it's “long overdue,” adding that “millions of employees are working long hours without fair compensation.”

The administration, which initially proposed the rule last summer, did make concessions in response to the 270,000 public comments it received. It lowered the new salary threshold to $47,476 from the proposed $50,544.

And it’s allowing employers to apply bonuses and incentive payments to up to 10% of the new salary threshold. The threshold also will be updated every three years instead of annually, rising to $51,000 on Jan. 1, 2020.

Perez said the new rule also clarifies the types of duties white-collar employees must perform to be exempt. That potentially makes eligible an additional 8.9 million workers now misclassified, he said, such as certain administrative employees who don’t supervise anyone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Ogre

Re: Overtime pay for everyone..and 40 acres....and a pony.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:56:35 AM »
Man, it would really suck to be a Production Manager in this environment. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:18:53 AM »

It's going to cost jobs for me.  I'm replacing several of my full time people with part time.  They will lose be benefits.

Thanks Obama.  Dumbass. 

It's not that I'm greedy and don't want to pay them more.  I do.  I just can't.  Forcing me to do so only makes me less able to do so. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Ogre

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
The rule, slated to be formally released Wednesday, would essentially double the threshold at which executive, administrative and professional employees are exempt from overtime pay to $47,476 from the current $23,660.

I chuckled when I read this.  In March I gave my assistant a raise and moved her pay from hourly to salary.  Her new salary?  $48k. #winning

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »
He always likes to lump the middle class verbiage into his rhetoric to garner support. But rarely does any economic plan by him or anyone else ever help the middle class. Total bs and more class warfare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »
The message that govt has sent to small and medium sized business for decades: Know your place and you best not try to grow. Or, you'll pay dearly. :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »

Problem is not with the people I have on the floor actually making things.  They are already eligible for overtime as non exempt employees.  The problem comes in with people in the office who are exempt employees.  Those are the ones who are going to fuck the company up. 

Why the fuck can't gubment stay out of everyone else's bidness?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »
Problem is not with the people I have on the floor actually making things.  They are already eligible for overtime as non exempt employees.  The problem comes in with people in the office who are exempt employees.  Those are the ones who are going to fuck the company up. 

Why the fuck can't gubment stay out of everyone else's bidness?

This was done with the wave of a wand, but....

Checks and balances. Just sayin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 03:56:13 PM »
This was done with the wave of a wand, but....

Checks and balances. Just sayin.

And it can be challenged in the judicial system.

Checks and balances...just sayin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »

Name the last time something given by the government has then been taken back away?

just sayin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »
Name the last time something given by the government has then been taken back away?

just sayin.

Hopefully Obamacare will be the first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »
Hopefully Obamacare will be the first.

Only if you vote TRUMP
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 04:42:41 PM »

just sayin.

Well...someone will have to challenge it.  Beyond a Facebook post and Snapchat tantrum.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »

But until then, it's effective.

And autr is right. They never taketh away. Just like aca which was a total farce. They must have threatened to rape Roberts entire family for him to come up with that cockamamie redefine of the legislation as a tax. And when your favorite candidate puts activist judges on the Scotus those checks and balances will be essentially non existent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 04:57:42 PM »
But until then, it's effective.

And autr is right. They never taketh away. Just like aca which was a total farce. They must have threatened to rape Roberts entire family for him to come up with that cockamamie redefine of the legislation as a tax.

So "they" have a responsibility to right this perceived wrong?  Where are you, the aggrieved?  Litigate, challenge, defend your rights!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »
So "they" have a responsibility to right this perceived wrong?  Where are you, the aggrieved?  Litigate, challenge, defend your rights!

Start a Twitter Holy War.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »

Meaning govt. They only add not remove. Ever seen a govt program or dept go away? Very rare.

They wouldn't need to take away if they wouldn't add the bullshit in the first place. Do you really think this crap is a good idea? The people that decide this stuff have absolutely 0 business sense. Zero. Or if they do they just don't give a shit - all in the name of social justice. When the fuck did 23-45k become the entire middle class in 2016?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 05:23:20 PM »
Meaning govt. They only add not remove. Ever seen a govt program or dept go away? Very rare.

They wouldn't need to take away if they wouldn't add the bullshit in the first place. Do you really think this crap is a good idea? The people that decide this stuff have absolutely 0 business sense. Zero. Or if they do they just don't give a shit - all in the name of social justice. When the fuck did 23-45k become the entire middle class in 2016?

The judiciary can't unilaterally take up a cause.  A citizen, adversely impacted presumably, must bring suit.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 06:04:08 PM »

Yeah.  Good luck with that.

:taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 06:05:47 PM »

Jesus Christ.

I was kidding before. But you really do live on Fantasy Island.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions