Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

When in Rome...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
When in Rome...
« on: May 04, 2016, 02:35:09 AM »
This echoes something I've been saying for the last 15-20 years.  So many similarities with where we are now and where the Roman Empire was before it collapsed.   

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/05/03/government-complexity-entrenched-special-interests-illinois-puerto-rico-venezuela-column/83801194/

Remember that the more resources you put under the control of the political class, the more likely it is that things will eventually go bad. Politicians seldom look past the next election, and they’re willing to sacrifice pretty much anything to hang on. And that “pretty much anything” includes you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: When in Rome...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
This echoes something I've been saying for the last 15-20 years.  So many similarities with where we are now and where the Roman Empire was before it collapsed.   

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/05/03/government-complexity-entrenched-special-interests-illinois-puerto-rico-venezuela-column/83801194/

Remember that the more resources you put under the control of the political class, the more likely it is that things will eventually go bad. Politicians seldom look past the next election, and they’re willing to sacrifice pretty much anything to hang on. And that “pretty much anything” includes you.

I concur. What's the fix?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: When in Rome...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »
I concur. What's the fix?

There isn't one. That's the point. Rome, even in all its greatness and with all its power, did nothing to avert their own doom. Neither did the Israelites, the Philistines, etc. 'Tis the circle of human history to raise up and destroy ourselves for we are a weak creature beset by the simplest of distractions. That's why there are but two commandments all others hinge upon: 1) Fear God. 2) Love people. Nothing in there about sustaining your society or political beliefs. Get right with God and get right on with love.
And if you choose not to believe in a Higher Power, fret not then. All of this is but a drop in the ocean in the span of time. Do right by others, do no harm, and carry on.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:40:20 AM by The Six »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg