Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Free Speech = Fired

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Free Speech = Fired
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:46:46 AM »
Curt Schilling gets canned for...God forbid....speaking his mind.  But, as Chizad has so aptly pointed out in the political forum, political correctness is ruining this country. Schilling, as he usually does, stated what he believes.  I happen to agree with him 100%.  Personally, I don't give a rat's ass if you want to cut your dick off, smear make up on your face and play dress up like a girl.  If that's your thing, have at it.  But that doesn't give you any more rights than anyone else and people shouldn't have to accommodate your desire to take a piss or a dump with the opposite sex.  What about their rights?  And fuck ESPN for not allowing someone their Constitutional right to free speech.  But then, they might look pretty silly doing that after deciding to make Bruce Jenner the face of their little outfit.

Curt Schilling helped the Boston Red Sox end an 86-year championship drought and then immediately started squandering the goodwill he had earned.

Even before the celebratory champagne could go flat, Schilling irritated Democrats in presidential candidate John Kerry's home state — many of them Red Sox fans — by blurting out on national TV, "Vote Bush." He toyed with public office himself in 2009 after U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy died, a plan that was complicated because, as an unenrolled voter, Schilling would have had to run as an independent.

That was the essence of the pitcher known in Boston as "The Big Schill": Outspoken, controversial, supremely confident in his opinions in the moment only to realize soon enough that he hadn't quite thought things through.

On Wednesday, Schilling was fired from his job as an ESPN baseball analyst after comments on Facebook critical of transgender rights.

The post included an image of a man wearing a long blond wig and revealing women's clothing and the phrase, "Let him in! To the restroom with your daughter or else you're a narrow minded, judgmental, unloving, racist bigot who needs to die!!!"

In response to recent laws in several states that restrict bathroom access for transgender people, Schilling added: "A man is a man no matter what they call themselves," and, "Now you need laws telling us differently? Pathetic."

The network, which suspended Schilling from the Little League World Series last year over a tweet in which he compared Muslims to Nazi-era Germans, said Wednesday night that he had been fired.   

"ESPN is an inclusive company," the network said in a statement. "Curt Schilling has been advised that his conduct was unacceptable and his employment with ESPN has been terminated."

The 49-year-old Schilling, did not immediately respond to a text message sent to the telephone number he had when he pitched for the Red Sox. But he wrote on his blog on Tuesday that his critics were "just dying to be offended so you can create some sort of faux cause to rally behind."

"There are things I have deeply held beliefs in, things I have that are core to who I am, things I am passionate about. If you ask me about them it's likely I'll give you a passionate answer," he wrote. "Whether you like that answer or not is completely up to you. I am not going to give you answers to make sure you like what I say, let the rest of the insecure world do that."

An undisputed workhorse on the pitcher's mound, Schilling had a 216-146 record in a 20-year career with five teams, adding a .846 playoff winning percentage that is among the best in baseball history. He became eligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2013 and this year, his fourth on the ballot, he received more than half of the votes but far short of the 75 percent needed for induction.

A year earlier, Schilling accused the members of the Baseball Writers Association of America who vote for the Hall of holding it against him because he is a Republican. He later said he was joking.

It's a common pattern.

His strident criticism of steroid users earned him an invitation to a congressional hearing, but when called to testify, Schilling said: "The issue was grossly overstated by people, including myself."

Still, two years later he called out Barry Bonds for using performance-enhancing drugs, saying as the slugger approached baseball's career home run record: "He admitted to cheating on his wife, cheating on his taxes and cheating on the game."

The next day, Schilling apologized.

"Everyone has days and events in life they'd love to push the rewind button on, yesterday was one of those days," he wrote on the blog that was a must-read during his days in Boston.

More significantly: He bankrupted his video game business, putting nearly 300 people out of work, after burning through $75 million in loans guaranteed by Rhode Island. To satisfy his creditors, he auctioned off the contents of his home.

Schilling blamed state officials for pulling the plug prematurely.

If he was chastened by any of it, he isn't letting it show.

"I'm loud, I talk too much, I think I know more than I do, those and a billion other issues I know I have," he wrote on the blog this week after his transgender comments went viral. "Like everyone one of you I have flaws, but I'm ok with my flaws, they're what make me, me."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Free Speech = Fired
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »
To preface, here's my extended take on the bathroom thing.

First of all, I prefer NO laws one way or another regarding who is allowed to use what restrooms. I prefer common sense to dictate that. Women's line wrapped around the corner and no one's in the men's room? Go right ahead. Or if some weird sex club or any establishment that isn't particularly concerned about dudes in their ladies room wants to make that their policy, then by all means, have at it. And also if Bruce wants to now be Caitlyn and completely dress and behave like the sex they're now identifying as, goes into a stall, pees, and leaves, then I doubt this really was much of a problem to begin with. Ideally he would fully commit to being a she and have the outtie-to-innie procedure before using women's locker rooms, but that's another discussion I suppose.

The infamous North Carolina law HB2 that is raising so much of a stink was a reaction to another, equally bad ordnance in Charlotte that was posturing to "protect" transgendered people from restroom "discrimination".

To me, it's way less about the fact that making 99.7% of people uncomfortable at the expense of the comfort of the 0.3% is backwards logic (which is also true), but WAY MORE about how very obvious it is that heterosexual men can use those laws as cover to just hang out in the women's restrooms & locker rooms and watch little girls change and pee. WHEN (not if) that happens, there will be no legal recourse that can be taken against said sex offenders. They're protected under the law. Especially since we're saying there's no empirical tangible quality that defines gender identity. It would be sexist to say you're not a woman because you don't have long hair or wear a dress, right? Can't make that the requirement for entering a women's restroom.

This is not a hypothetical slippery slope. This is something that very obviously will happen. It already HAS happened.
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/washington/seattle-man-in-womens-locker-room-cites-gender-rule/45248512

And if I were 17 years old and that was the law of the land where I lived, I'd demand they move my fuckin' desk into the girl's shower. I honestly don't understand why there aren't hundreds of high school boys already doing this if not for any other reason than to prove a point.

The argument that there's no evidence that transsexuals are any more conducive to kiddie diddling than anyone else is probably correct. But also ENTIRELY beside the point. I'm much less concerned about the 0.2% of kiddie diddlers amongst the 0.3% of the population that is trans than I am the 0.2% of kiddie diddlers among the 99.7% of the population that is not and are now free to exploit a poorly thought out law.

Now, for example, Target has loudly and proudly announced that it is their policy to allow whoever to use whatever bathrooms they want. If I were so inclined, I could go into a Target RIGHT NOW and just hang out next to the stalls and listen to little girls pee. No explanation needed. I may be wearing a T-shirt and jeans and have a beard, but dammit I identify as a woman. You can't tell me I don't. And what happens when the sane father sends his little girl into the restroom and she comes back out announcing there was a grown ass man in there exposing himself to her and he rightly beats the shit out of him? I would think Target would have a lawsuit on their hands.

-----

Now with all of that said. ESPN firing Schilling has nothing to do with the first amendment. ESPN is not the government. I don't like having a culture that censors people and silences opinions rather than debating them. But it's their right to fire him for not representing their brand. And people have a right to express their displeasure in that choice. I don't know how we got here, but it's not the government limiting our free speech. It's the culture.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:22:19 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »
Freedom of speech to everyone!  As long as they agree with the dimocratic doctrine!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »
Wait...more thoughts on this...

So Bruce Springsteen and Ryan Adams and Pearl Jam and others cancelled concerts in NC because of HB2. PayPal cancelled plans to move an office to NC for the same reason. There are dozens of other businesses and artists doing the same. Denying service due to moral objection. Which is ok for them, but not for bakers objecting to making gay wedding cakes. In both cases, I disagree with that choice, but think they should have the right to do it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
He speaks for all us ^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »
My thread was locked and moved?  Just another example of white supremacy at work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »
My thread was locked and moved?  Just another example of white supremacy at work.
White Devils!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
This is all you really need to know.  There is no "free speech" implication here.  Curt was free to express himself, that does not mean that he is free from the consequences of such expression (in the absence of state action, of course.)

Goddamit.

I'm sorry, Chad.  I meant to quote you and accidentally modified your post.

mea culpa.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 11:57:37 AM »
Goddamit.

mea culpa.

It's okay.  Nobody read it anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
It's okay.  Nobody read it anyway.
It was rather long, I stopped reading after...I

Although I did agree with him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
This is all you really need to know.  There is no "free speech" implication here.  Curt was free to express himself, that does not mean that he is free from the consequences of such expression (in the absence of state action, of course.)

Okay, maybe I did read some of it.  And yes, I agree with this.  Just frustrating that a conglomerate like ESPN does not allow someone to voice a differing opinion that may or may not cause 6 transgender dude-ettes out of 100+ million viewers to be upset with them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 12:56:45 PM »

Okay, maybe I did read some of it.  And yes, I agree with this.  Just frustrating that a conglomerate like ESPN does not allow someone to voice a differing opinion that may or may not cause 6 transgender dude-ettes out of 100+ million viewers to be upset with them.

Had a black, Muslim, female said it, it would become national law.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »
Goddamit.

mea culpa.
The browser back arrow is your friend.

My manifesto has been preserved.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 02:16:01 PM »
The browser back arrow is your friend.

My manifesto has been preserved.

Damn it.  Someone take the keys from this guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »
Wait...more thoughts on this...

So Bruce Springsteen and Ryan Adams and Pearl Jam and others cancelled concerts in NC because of HB2. PayPal cancelled plans to move an office to NC for the same reason. There are dozens of other businesses and artists doing the same. Denying service due to moral objection. Which is ok for them, but not for bakers objecting to making gay wedding cakes. In both cases, I disagree with that choice, but think they should have the right to do it.
^The homo has finally said something that I agree with.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 04:26:57 PM »

Had a black, Muslim, female said it, it would become national law.

You are describing our president again!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Token

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 10:00:07 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/04/21/donald-trump-says-transgender-people-should-use-the-bathroom-they-want/

Actually he is saying what many are saying. Should have left it alone.

Before, we could go in a whip ass if anything fishy happened, now they got a right to be in there!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.