Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Just Call Off DC Search

jmar

Just Call Off DC Search
« on: December 13, 2015, 07:40:16 AM »
Why?
The bowl game and practices are here.
We failed to retain TRob and whiffed on Kelly.

Perception nationwide is that Malzahn is a lame duck much like Sumlin.

Garner and Thompson (as was TRob) are ace recruiters and retaining the current commits is all important.
Just let Thompson audition against a potent offense, maybe the players he has recruited and coached up respond. This saves crazy guaranteed contract talk, gives us some insight as to his ability, limits hurt feelings thus preserving much needed talent with or without Malzahn.
Nothing against Kelly but they clean up on talent at FSU.

Best case scenario is we perform well enough in the bowl game to win, keep the class intact and go big name hunting after signing period in February if Thompson ain't the answer.

We can only hope Malzahn will fix this offense. Our defense, even with Muschamp was mostly good enough (except v. LSU) to win had the offense (QB play/play calling) been as expected.
Just my take.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Just Call Off DC Search
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:16:35 AM »
^^Just because he's tetched doesn't mean he's not right, sometimes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »
^^Just because he's tetched doesn't mean he's not right, sometimes.
I'm only partially damaged WT.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »
I wouldn't mind Coach Thompson as DC. Let's see how his D looks against a really good QB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »
I wouldn't mind Coach Thompson as DC. Let's see how his D looks against a really good QB.

I still think Kelley will be the next DC and won't be released to the public until after the FSU bowl game. Until then, I am curious to see how Thompson does.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 09:05:06 PM »
I still think Kelley will be the next DC and won't be released to the public until after the FSU bowl game. Until then, I am curious to see how Thompson does.

Brandon marshmallow done TOLD you he laughed in auburn's face.

And he done pestered recruits to see how rhey feel about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
Per Marcello: 1st year DC Tom Allen from South Florida has been included in our far reaching search.

WHO?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 09:07:53 AM »
I was trying to hold off on giving you the news, but since you are all going nuts trying to figure out just what JJ is doing, I'll let you all in on the big secret.

I have been hired as the next DC.  The announcement hasn't been made yet, because I am still trying to put my staff together.  On a completely unrelated note, Jummy...why won't you return my calls?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 09:23:25 AM »
#cheepcheepchampionship
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »
The stupid bastards apparently think it's a better choice to consider Allen, a proponent of the 4-2-5 (spur) than to continue with the system Muschamp ran.
#nomoupheaval
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 10:26:16 AM »
Tom Allen is actually pretty solid. He took USF from bottom of the pack on D to Top 40.

Paul Rhoades came from Pitt, and Gene Chizik came from UCF with very similar accolades. Very solid, but under the radar coaches. Maybe this is the route we need to go this time around. The splash name will always be looking to leave for a HC gig. At this moment, we just need a solid coach and some stability. No reason to be paying a guy who has been a DC for 2 years at a major D1 school over 1 mill a year.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:28:13 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

chinook

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 10:40:07 AM »
Tom Allen is actually pretty solid. He took USF from bottom of the pack on D to Top 40.

Paul Rhoades came from Pitt, and Gene Chizik came from UCF with very similar accolades. Very solid, but under the radar coaches. Maybe this is the route we need to go this time around.

#diamondintherough
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »

Paul Rhoades came from Pitt, and Gene Chizik came from UCF with very similar accolades. Very solid, but under the radar coaches. Maybe this is the route we need to go this time around. The splash name will always be looking to leave for a HC gig. At this moment, we just need a solid coach and some stability. No reason to be paying a guy who has been a DC for 2 years at a major D1 school over 1 mill a year.
Yes but he runs the same system as EJ.
We stand to lose Adams and Lawson all three starting LBs, Lawrence and Countess. That's quite a hit.
This doesn't look like stability.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
Yes but he runs the same system as EJ.
We stand to lose Adams and Lawson all three starting LBs, Lawrence and Countess. That's quite a hit.
This doesn't look like stability.

If you are DB heavy and LB thin...isnt that what you would want to run?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »
If you are DB heavy and LB thin...isnt that what you would want to run?
We never learned how to run EJ's D. We constantly had safeties out of position and our LBs couldn't support the run.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 11:45:28 AM »
We never learned how to run EJ's D. We constantly had safeties out of position and our LBs couldn't support the run.

I think that has a little to do with coaching. Just a little. Would you have gotten motivated to knock someone in the head from EJ? Im also not a fan of Booth Coordinators althogh Chiz seems to do ok with it. Not sure what Allen is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 12:22:04 PM »
I think that has a little to do with coaching. Just a little. Would you have gotten motivated to knock someone in the head from EJ? Im also not a fan of Booth Coordinators althogh Chiz seems to do ok with it. Not sure what Allen is.
I'm disappointed there's a chance we get a one year DC with a new system over Thompson who could build off of this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »

A billion times this.

Just let Gus run the program and get a solid coach in. Recruiting is important, yes, but coaching is more important.

We will never win championships with a top defense as long as Gus is the coach. It has to come from his offensive production. So let Gus put all of his resources into fixing the offense and bring in a consistent defensive coordinator who can stay for a few years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »
A billion times this.

Just let Gus run the program and get a solid coach in. Recruiting is important, yes, but coaching is more important.

We will never win championships with a top defense as long as Gus is the coach. It has to come from his offensive production. So let Gus put all of his resources into fixing the offense and bring in a consistent defensive coordinator who can stay for a few years.

Can't say I disagree with this....at all. Auburn needs stability on D and let Gus do his thang on offense. I like it.

I am curious as to how many folks here would be against Thompson becoming DC if he has a good showing for the bowl game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »
We had the best we could get in Muschamp-actually showed signs of improving toward the end of the season.
But you guys are okay with a first year DC that runs a 4-2-5 over Thompson who is very knowledgeable of what we run now?
And with only 5 starters returning?

If you are a lame duck coach and the lives and fortunes of everybody involved is depending on this choice, why would you not get the very best DC possible as you did with Muschamp?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions