Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Just Call Off DC Search

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Just Call Off DC Search
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »
I'm not totally against trying Thompson. But, it is taking a significant risk in more ways than one.

There's baggage and he's more of a cowboy than a soldier. Sometimes that can pay off but it's definitely more risk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »
I'm not totally against trying Thompson. But, it is taking a significant risk in more ways than one.

There's baggage and he's more of a cowboy than a soldier. Sometimes that can pay off but it's definitely more risk.
Well giddyup!

Jake Holland understood EJ's defense. Nobody else seemed to have a clue. We got torched regularly.

You must stop the run first in this league. There are only a few potent passing games in the SEC.

I'm not against hiring the guy but there is no more risk with Thompson running what we know and have practiced over a one year guy teaching something totally new.

Van Gorder needed a year to install and we didn't have the patience to wait another season.
And now we do?
Talk about risky!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »
Can't say I disagree with this....at all. Auburn needs stability on D and let Gus do his thang on offense. I like it.

I am curious as to how many folks here would be against Thompson becoming DC if he has a good showing for the bowl game.

That would require Gus waiting until the bowl game to see, and then hire. You really think thats gonna happen?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 02:48:22 PM »
That would require Gus waiting until the bowl game to see, and then hire. You really think thats gonna happen?

Part of me does, yes. The bowl game is 2 weeks away. So, I would imagine there is a great deal of attention on preparing for that. Also, Thompson is the main recruiter for pretty much all the top commits at this point so there may not be much of a hurry to hire a new DC. I certainly think Thompson as just as qualified as many of the other names being mentioned.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »
Part of me does, yes. The bowl game is 2 weeks away. So, I would imagine there is a great deal of attention on preparing for that. Also, Thompson is the main recruiter for pretty much all the top commits at this point so there may not be much of a hurry to hire a new DC. I certainly think Thompson as just as qualified as many of the other names being mentioned.

He is telling recruits he will have a DC in place by Wed. What that exactly means is beyond me. Does he mean Interim, because that wouldn't make much sense. Why would a recruit care.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 03:17:15 PM »
He is telling recruits he will have a DC in place by Wed. What that exactly means is beyond me. Does he mean Interim, because that wouldn't make much sense. Why would a recruit care.

Well, it sure had been quiet then. Whether it be Allen, Thompson or whomever, there needs to be some fn stability with Auburns defense. I will also say this, if Thompson is not the man then whoever this new guy is best keep Thompson on staff if they want to keep this current cruitn class together.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
We had the best we could get in Muschamp-actually showed signs of improving toward the end of the season.
But you guys are okay with a first year DC that runs a 4-2-5 over Thompson who is very knowledgeable of what we run now?
And with only 5 starters returning?

If you are a lame duck coach and the lives and fortunes of everybody involved is depending on this choice, why would you not get the very best DC possible as you did with Muschamp?

BTW our defense improved when Carl Lawson returned...just saying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 03:26:02 PM »
What would make Allen a better choice than Thompson? Does that one year as a DC under his belt make that much more qualified? Can't say that it does. Thompson has been groomed by Saban in the SEC facing top tier talent along with other stops. Whether we like it or not, Saban has a good track record with such. All of this and the fact Thompson is the main recruiter for most of Auburns defensive targets makes me think Thompson would be more qualified for the AU position.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:35:01 PM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
BTW our defense improved when Carl Lawson returned...just saying.

So you're saying Carl Lawson for DC?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »
So you're saying Carl Lawson for DC?

Yes!

In reality though is what Muschamp did for us really that apparent?  or was it the return of our veteran player that was the key?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 03:38:01 PM »
Yes!

In reality though is what Muschamp did for us really that apparent?  or was it the return of our veteran player that was the key?

The latter....and I said that before WM left Auburn. We still got gashed against a 1-D Bama O. BADLY. And Idaho.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »
Yes!

Little of both, I think. I certainly think Muschamp rubbed off in a positive way as far as a defensive mentality goes. I mean, the D just seemed a meaner unit the latter half of the season. It just took the players time to catch up to the complexity. I will say though, I thought for sure we would see a lot less of the missed tackling than what we have all witnessed the last several years.

Lawson. on the other hand, I do believe made more of an impact. The guy is a freakn beast, period.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
Yes!

By proxy, Muschamp improved the secondary.  T-Rob had that unit playing pretty good ball at year's end, relative to their humble beginnings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »
By proxy, Muschamp improved the secondary.  T-Rob had that unit playing pretty good ball at year's end, relative to their humble beginnings.

Losing T-Rob hurts Auburn more than losing Muschamp, at least from a pure coaching standpoint. That one for me has been harder to get past.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »

Just playing devils advocate here but again Carlton Davis was a beast at the end of the year could it also be said that he improved based solely on play time?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
Nothing against Lance but I'm having a hard time remembering any guy from the midget coaching tree that didn't shit the bed when they stepped out on their own to be a DC. Besides Boom of course.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
Just playing devils advocate here but again Carlton Davis was a beast at the end of the year could it also be said that he improved based solely on play time?

Sure, but the kid that develops without quality coaching is a pretty rare dude.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
Two years ago Gus was playing for a National Championship now he's on the hot seat.....crazy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

chinook

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
Two years ago Gus was playing for a National Championship now he's on the hot seat.....crazy

:huh:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions