Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week Concerned Family 2015

Thoughts - Week Concerned Family 2015
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:13:41 AM »
Fuck this. Don't read it. Skip to the conclusion if you want. Fucking hell.

To: The TPTB and The Mount Rushmore of BBQ Clubs
November 15, 2015

During the home football game, Saturday, November 14, 2015, 85 scholarship football players plus a few walk-ons for Auburn University took the field against the school's second most hated rival, the Georgia Bulldogs. This rivalry game has been throughout history a showcase for the magic that is college football and particularly the magic of the Auburn program. However, the magic of Auburn football has begun to dry up like an old prune, only flickering to life in rare moments that feel more like dreams than reality. On Saturday, November 15, 2015, when those young men suited up and seemingly played their hearts out, when they looked for the magic that has inspired and carried so many teams in the past, all they found was an industrialized product that has kinks and careless errors. Wiring that has been tangled, poor craftsmanship, and most importantly, a number of pieces from God-Knows-Where but somehow has been jammed and hammered into what was the Auburn University football program.

This memo thus represents the concerns of every Auburn coach, player, and fan. It represents the concerns of former players, alumni, booster, and sidewalk fans that still pledge allegiance to the orange and blue.  It represents the concerns of a family. The Auburn experience is old and full of tradition. Many of our family remember when Jordan Hare was surrounded by a grassy parking lot, made of new steel beams, and simply the place that held a nice Saturday afternoon of family, friends, and football. They have seen this stadium evolve into one of the largest, loudest venues for football; one that features state-of-the-art technology; one that has held the college football world's eye countless times over the past decades. A place that has featured legends, broken hearts, and celebrated champions.

On Saturday, November 15, the Auburn University football team became losers to the University of Georgia. What was once a close but comfortable lead in the overall series has quickly become a one game deficit. This marks a new era for Auburn football. For the first time in over a decade, Auburn has a losing record to all three of her rivals: Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. What was a closing gap in the Alabama series has widened and is heavily predicted to widen further in two weeks. What was a close series against LSU has widened to a deficit that could take decades to recover from. Schools that Auburn usually dominates have begun to regularly compete with or defeat the Tigers. Auburn is 6-4 against Mississippi State and 4-6 against Arkansas. We are 7-3 against Ole Miss, but as everyone saw in 2014, a freak injury is the only reason why this series is not at 6-4.

The Auburn football experience has been cornered in athletic department offices that seem to spend more time on the phone with sponsors and media organizations than with fans. A proud program that celebrated the family experience on campus while still being a competitive, hard-hitting football team has been forced to change into something it does not represent. Therefore, it is time for adjustments in those offices if there is the hope that what Auburn has been can be reclaimed.

The following is a list of demands for the improvement of the Auburn football program. These adjustments should bring back the magic of Auburn football and begin to reassert the program as not only one that wins but one that is special in its ability to foster the family atmosphere it has claimed as its unique property.

If these demands are not met, then we as fans and alumni will continue to take it up the ass.

List of Demands

I. We demand that Auburn University's athletic director Jay Jacobs write a handwritten apology to the students, season ticket holders, and boosters for the purchase and installment of the one monstrous jumbotron. If he needs to do this in crayon, he is allowed to do so. The logic of installing one gigantic jumbotron that 70% of the stadium can see is the logic of an eight-year-old. He must recognize and state that he has learned a lesson about such foolhardy purchases that seem to have done nothing to boost recruiting or the fan/student experience. He must also recognize and state that this jumbotron has been the official dead end for the direction he has taken the program.

2. We demand that Auburn University demote or relieve Jay Jacobs of his duties as athletic director. He must be presented with a thank you note for the hiring of Bruce Pearl.

3. We demand that Auburn University's new athletic director be an experienced professional that has more on his resume than "former football player" and "buddies with a few boosters." He also must have proof that he can make informed, human-like decisions and not be a puppet with strings attached.

4. We demand that Gus Malzahn defeat Alabama on Saturday, November 28, 2015.

5. If he cannot succeed in demand #4, we demand the following: A complete assessment of Malzahn's tenure with the honest consideration that he be removed from his position.

It should be noted that Auburn's 2013 season featured a near-loss to Miss State at home, an embarrassing blowout to LSU, a fluke ending to defeat Georgia, and a series of poor decisions that lead to a loss in the national championship game.

It should be noted that Auburn since Malzahn's hiring has shown a series of regression going from 2 losses, to 5 losses, to now (most likely) 6 losses. There is the potential for a sub .500 finish to this season depending on the bowl game.

It should be noted that recruiting, while fickle and difficult to assess, is at a low point with few big names still on the board with Auburn as its leader.

It should be noted that the majority of the losses in this treacherous 2015 season have been due to poor playcalling, poor player development, and poor substitutions, all on offense.

It should be noted that Gus Malzahn is considered to be an offensive guru.

6. We demand that if Gus Malzahn is retained, he should be required to provide the fanbase with more information than just coachspeak. Never again shall "rhythm," "good week of practice," or "young, youth, inexperience, simplified" be mentioned by the head coach.

7. We demand that the program as a whole wipe the dirt off its shriveled penis, hit the weightroom, and bring back the confidence and strength that once was the Auburn program. We demand that we no longer make changes in response to what Alabama is doing. We demand that Auburn once again be the power team that will bull you over, make tackles, make big plays, develop guys for the NFL draft. We demand that this pussy-footed, deer-in-the-head-lights look, make-plays-in-space bullshit disappear from the hearts and mind of the entire family.

Conclusion -

You're not going to fire Gus, but you're delaying the inevitable. Nothing in this memo matters until the program decides it is going to divert its resources to getting back to what was built here. If you want to claim Pay Dye as the "modern era's" beginning, then do that. He played hard-nosed football. He produced strong, talented, exciting running backs. He had strong defense that could lay the wood and strike fear in opposing teams. He was replaced a guy that did things differently, and the program regressed. We went back to the Dye-style of play with Tuberville and we had strong running backs, hard-nosed football, NFL draft picks, defenses that could lay the wood. We went undefeated. We defeated and competed with rivals. We tossed aside piss-ant programs like those in Mississippi.

And Tuberville was able to do that without pumping shit hip hop music through a mega-jumbotron.

No one fucking robbed people. There wasn't a gang-mentality on the team. No one went through punching sprees in the community.

No one danced like a teenager while down 28-0 in the first half to an opponent at home.

But maybe I'm atavistic. Maybe I'm wrong and we're just a quarterback away.

Though maybe our players are mentally weak. Like fumbling the ball going into the endzone or making a crucial mistake when the game is on the line, how many times now? How many losses do we have like that? How often does Alabama deal with that? How often did old Auburn programs deal with that? Mentally weak children.

And you know what's the worst of it all?

8. We demand that good seasons be expected and bad seasons only be because we barely missed expectations.

You wondered about 2010 going in. How good would we be? 2011 was the year. Watch out. The start of 2010 was worrisome. Go undefeated? No even on your mind until halfway through the season. Even then, would we beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa?

You doubted 2013. You know you did. We got butt-rekt in Baton Rouge and you hoped we'd improve from 2012. We dragged Manziel down in mid-October and started to feel good about the season.

But that's it, folks. Two good seasons that had the ball bounce our way and thank God we had freak of natures at a few positions.

We have been blown out a lot and lost some games we shouldn't have.

Did you ever in your life think that in a span of five years, you would see scores like these to our rivals...

45-7
42-10
34-7
45-21
42-14
49-0
38-0

...and then watch Auburn not do an entire overhaul of the program, system, philosophy?

Like maybe those scores are indicative of the program as a whole. Maybe...maybe scoring 265 points and giving up 493 points in our three main rivalry games over the past five years is not a good place to be as a top 15 national and historic program.

Maybe being the annoying speed bump at the end of Alabama's season in 2015 is not where we want to be in year three of a tenure, year 8 as a program.

Because we're running the same program. We're running the same offense and have had mostly the same shit defense since Chizik was hired.

Maybe we should fire Gus. Maybe that should be demanded no matter what happens the rest of this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Thoughts - Week Concerned Family 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:23:36 AM »
I can't disagree with any of that dude.

I'm just at a loss for words. And as much as I'm upset with Gus, you are right - it's more systemic than that. He is a problem at this point. But not THE problem.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »
What happens on Saturday November 16, 2015?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »
I don't often agree with you on...well, anything.  In this case though, you are spot on.

I hate feeling like this. 
I hate not caring anymore. 
I hate having to sit there and grit my teeth while everyone else makes fun of yet another highlight reel moment featuring Auburn on the wrong end of the highlight.
I hate having to grit my teeth yet again while hearing my co-workers make fun of the group of kids out there in blue jerseys and their inept coaches.
I hate watching Auburn football lately, knowing full well from the beginning that it will be the most painful thing I will do each week.
I hate having a coach that flat out lies in his press conferences. 
I hate the stupid "Name that Tune" garbage at every other timeout in the stadium.
I hate that everyone enjoys the fans dancing to the hippity hoppity music during the other timeouts more than the game itself.
I hate seeing the direction this program is heading while knowing there is nothing I can do about it.
I hate seeing our biggest rival just reloading the highest priced 5-star talent year after year and pumping them full of PEDs and Deer Antler juice, while we try to "make plays in space" year after year.
I'm sure there's more, but I hate that I hate everything now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 09:54:36 AM »
What happens on Saturday November 16, 2015?

You mean Saturday, November 17?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
You know what I respect about a guy like Mike Leach? He may be crazy as an outhouse rat but he does one thing consistently. He runs his offense. In spite of who he has on the field, sidelines, the opponent, or what happens on first down, he runs that wide open stuff all day, every day and makes no apologies for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 10:32:14 AM »
You mean Saturday, November 17?

See. the date doesnt even matter anymore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 10:39:24 AM »
I agree with all of that. The one thing that is on my mind right now is the fact Auburn has no consistency. You know there is this little short guy coach that has established a well respected program for a long period of time now. I'm not talking about the guy across state, I'm talking about the guy over in Texas. Here, you have Patterson that who has basically built a strong program from the ground up in a state that the CFB love is shared between several top tier programs. So, why can't Auburn do this and why in hell is Patterson not in Auburn. There has been a modeled made that even a dumbass monkey could follow but for some reason, self righteousness is more important than the Auburn family.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »
You know what I respect about a guy like Mike Leach? He may be crazy as an outhouse rat but he does one thing consistently. He runs his offense. In spite of who he has on the field, sidelines, the opponent, or what happens on first down, he runs that wide open stuff all day, every day and makes no apologies for it.

That's what is so damn frustrating.  You look at the things they did successfully in recent games (Even with the 74 drops at Arky) and realize that yesterday, they didn't even try.  I understood keeping things quick and crisp against A&M with JJ. He obviously doesn't need to be given the opportunity to make decisions in the passing game.  But even then, they threw passes beyond the line of scrimmage. We had 15 receptions for 62 whole yards.  My Chizad math says that comes out to about 4 yards a catch.  And all 62 of those were YAC-ity yac. I've heard Jeremy Pruitt is a pretty decent defensive corch.  How long do you think it took him to realize we weren't going to run our offense and put 58 men in the box?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »
So, why can't Auburn do this

Auburn DID that. In the midst of one of the cheating-est, most dominant dynasties in college football's history, Auburn punched it square in the mouth and put an old drunk in his grave.

And that was after a tumultuous Barfield era.

That's one of my main points. We chickened out of competing with Alabama once Saban got going.

And the result has been ass reamings, poor performances, and thank-god-says-Jay-Jacobs two bizarro seasons in the midst of one of the worst eras in Auburn history.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »
Auburn DID that. In the midst of one of the cheating-est, most dominant dynasties in college football's history, Auburn punched it square in the mouth and put an old drunk in his grave.

And that was after a tumultuous Barfield era.

That's one of my main points. We chickened out of competing with Alabama once Saban got going.

And the result has been ass reamings, poor performances, and thank-god-says-Jay-Jacobs two bizarro seasons in the midst of one of the worst eras in Auburn history.

Ok then, why can't we do it again? My point was basically a shorter version of yours. Like I said, a dumb monkey could do it because it's being done right now in a state that has equal passion for CFB and with the "big brother" team.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:30:25 AM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »
The PTB are proud of Jacobs, the jumbotron, ticket sales et al. Fuck worrying about Alabama. We got shelled by Les Miles, outgurued by Bert, chumped by Freeze and just saved a "damn fine man's" career. And if we are lucky or unlucky enough to beat Idaho, we get the honor of playing on Graymont Avenue. How cool is that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
The PTB are proud of Jacobs, the jumbotron, ticket sales et al. Fuck worrying about Alabama. We got shelled by Les Miles, outgurued by Bert, chumped by Freeze and just saved a "damn fine man's" career. And if we are lucky or unlucky enough to beat Idaho, we get the honor of playing on Graymont Avenue. How cool is that?

Funny thing is it will probably be against Cincinnati
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »
Yeah it could then be tagged the Shuttlesworth Jetgate Bowl to add insult to injury.

I left out dodging a bullet against that team from Anniston and the loss to the Mighty Dakattack.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »
Guys Birmingham is beautiful in late December.  :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

djsimp

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »
Guys Birmingham is beautiful in late December.  :thumsup:

Post game party with Bhams best DJ?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 12:03:16 PM »
Post game party with Bhams best DJ?
Wednesday night after party of the century. #epic #bananas
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
What hit me in about the 4th quarter is what does a win do for the program? Why the fuck do I want Gus to beat UGA?  I posted this in my tank thread, but I'll say it here again. If we keep Gus it sets the program back another year. We have already fallen behind the Mississippi schools; so there's nowhere left to go because Jay Jacobs doesnt believe in Auburn like I do.

When I say I didn't want Gus to win that doesn't mean I didn't want Auburn win. Those players are being robbed of great coaching oppurtunities wasting time with a glorified high school coach. They are the true losers in this and anything I say about this team is not directed at them.

I also got in a fight with a student yesterday. He was mad I didn't do the it's great to be an Auburn Tiger chant. Al I could do is hang my hand and tell him that I'm glad he was okay with mediocrity.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

Starship

• "Jane you say its all over for you and me girl"
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »

actually as of now it looks our opponent in the Birmingham bowl would be Memphis. Houston. Temple or Navy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
actually as of now it looks our opponent in the Birmingham bowl would be Memphis. Houston. Temple or Navy
We'll have trouble beating any of those quality teams.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions