Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week Gus Now has a Loss to Fat Bert

Thoughts - Week Gus Now has a Loss to Fat Bert
« on: October 24, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
- We are staring at a 5-7 season after being preseason #6.

This One's Optimistic

- There is some reason for optimism. We return the majority of the offense next season. I think Sean White looks like a hell of a prospect going forward. The offensive line has come together especially in the run game. While the receivers mostly sucked donkey balls throughout the game, I think that could be improved with a spring and fall camp with White. Defensively, things looked a little better. The guys I saw making plays were young guys with more eligibility. The guys I saw that made me shake my head in shame will be gone after this year.

- I don't know how I feel about today. It was a better effort than I've seen all season, but for some reason, it just sucked. Maybe it was the nine dropped passes from great throws on great play calls. Maybe it was that our million dollar defensive coordinator couldn't come up with one goddamn stop in OT. We had what, three opportunities to put the game away? Easy opportunities. Couldn't get it done.

- Ricardo Louis should carry Sean White's books to class every day next week. Louis is a senior with NFL aspirations. Every single one of his drops should have been catches. Especially the one in OT. I've seen some complaints about the play calls with our last possession. Looked good to me. Arkansas was selling out on the run and leaving our receivers in single coverage. The ball hit Louis in the hands. MAKE THE CATCH.

This One Went to Market

- So anyways, back to being preseason #6. In Tuberville's fourth year, he underachieved after lofty preseason expectations and the PTB sent a plane out to look for a new coach. This will be Gus's third year, and he's achieved more already than Tuberville did in four years. However, I'm starting to wonder if the rumor mill will get going as this season ends.

- I think it would take a hot name reaching out to Auburn. An NFL guy, a Pete Carroll, a Chip Kelly. I don't know who. I don't think Auburn will go looking for an up-and-comer, but I wonder if we'd listen if an agent calls on behalf of someone.

- Auburn can recruit. Tuberville struggled to win over the recruiting services. But Chizik proved we can recruit. Malzahn proved that we can score points and have electrifying seasons. Both Chizik and Malzahn proved that there's something special in the heart of Auburn and that when we get some momentum, it's very difficult to beat us. We've also in the past had a strong history of producing quality NFL players.

- I can't help but think that Auburn is a dream destination for someone who wants to experience success.

- The question is: Would we want to fire Malzahn?

- #6 preseason. Dead last in the SEC West at week 8. Will be underdogs to Ole Miss and Texas A&M. May get blown out by Georgia and Alabama at home.

- No bowl game. No recruiting momentum. No more Gus?

This One Just Came Out of the Swamp

- Gus Malzahn isn't going anywhere. Next year? Probably. But this year? Nah. I don't really believe that.

- But some need to find new homes. D. Craig, we love you. But nine drops in a game? The absolute disaster that was Duke Williams? The fact that the NFL said Coates was a poor route runner but had great physical skills? D. Craig might need to move over to a new position. Like QB and maybe OC.

- R. Garner, we love you too. But the defensive line has regressed since 2013. The fact that Monty Adams was a big time NFL prospect going into this season and is now just another squeaky wheel on one of the shittiest defenses Auburn has had in twenty years proves that there is not much coaching going on.

This One Dropped a Payload

- I'm kind of tired of football. For eight years, outside of two seasons, I have watched the same games over and over and over again.

- Auburn? Well we know about Auburn. We also know that Alabama is going to win. Even when they look bad, they win. Even when the other team has that magical moment in the game to say, "We're going to win!!" - Alabama wins. When Alabama loses? Alabama wins.

- LSU as well. LSU plays some boring ass football. Run big strong running backs into the line of scrimmage over and over. Here's a deep ball. The receiver catches it. Defense makes big plays. LSU wins a lot of games.

- Georgia is going to be pretty good but will look like dog shit in the middle of the season. Will turn it back on in time for Auburn though.

- Tennessee, Ole Miss, Miss State, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and South Carolina - Each of these teams will come into the season with high expectations. They all eventually will revert back to being the same ole shit they've been for the past decade. Maybe they'll win some one year. Most likely won't.

- Missouri? I cannot stand seeing them in the SEC. Texas A&M feels southern. Missouri is not. They do not belong, and I don't care to ever watch them play even if they are having a good season.

Fodder for the Animals

- Was today exciting for you? I'm honestly curious if you enjoyed today's game. I think I might have. I liked that we put forth a lot of effort. I liked that we stayed in it. I think we showed some heart. But the first 25 minutes of the game were excruciating. OT was exciting, but you know, we lost. Did I have fun today? Would I have enjoyed doing something else?

Living on Animal Farm

- We have a loss to Fat Bert. Is that acceptable? Should it be?

- Since the year 2009, we are:

2-6 against LSU

2-5 against Alabama (will be 2-6)

2-5 against Georgia (will be 2-6)

3-4 against Arkansas

4-3 against Miss State

1-2 against Texas A&M (will be 1-3)

5-1 against Ole Miss (probably will be 5-2 and do we actually hang our hat on this?)

- If Alabama and LSU have become 1st tier of the SEC West, we are in the runt tier. We're good against Ole Miss. Kinda good against Miss State. Suck against LSU, Alabama, and Georgia. Now have a loss to Fat Bert against Arkansas.

- What makes you think Gus can bring us out of the trough and into the stables? What is it over the past seven years that says, "Yes, the program is built so that we are clydesdales and not mules"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
Re: Thoughts - Week Gus Now has a Loss to Fat Bert
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
To answer the last question I'd say the fact that when you look at SECC over the last 7 years it goes:

Gumps 3
Auburn 2
Corndogs 1
Gaytors 1

The credit for that goes to go Gus and his offense. I also highly doubt Muschamp forgot how to coach defense when he put on an Auburn hat. So with that I'm OK with giving this staff 2-3 more years to see if they can win the SECC. I think you are on the money with needing a new DL coach and moving Craig over to QB coach.

Lets be real though. We had zero chance of winning a championship this year when our preseason all-american WR got kicked off the team, our preseason all-SEC QB developed the yips, and our all-world DE didn't even make it through the first half of the first game. However, I think Sean White can be everything we thought JJ was. Also believe, with time, Boom will turn the D around. Maybe as early as next year. That happens and we'll be back in the ATL soon. Worth noting most of our playmakers are soph or frosh.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 08:50:24 AM »
What if:

What happens if Gus goes 6 for his last 18???
Because as this season progresses I have to look at this as an audition if I'm an extension of the ptb.

What attracted my attention to Malzahn to begin with and what are the prospects for a rebound?

If it comes to this my best recourse is to allow it to play out while meeting with my superiors explaining how I plan to turn this around, redeem the program while effectively saving my own job.

So one of the questions that I would have been tossing around might be: If I knew Gus could win 8 regular season games next season would I keep him? I already know my answer and the steps I would take. ANYBODY?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Kaos' post about sex with Vanilla Ice wasn't even this long. Sorry but I couldn't make it past the first paragraph. I'm sure it was interesting, to someone.

Bottom line is we aren't in the playoff picture anymore. If not careful, we'll lose any shot of making it to ATL.

Ridropo Louis shouldn't be a primary target after the first 1 or 3 drops, IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:01:07 AM »
Somebody needs to start a REAL thoughts thread.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JDHog

• SuperAdmin
    • woopig.net
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
I know you guys could give a fuck what I have to think about Gus, but what is the consensus in Auburn about the job he is doing?

Gus is 1-7 in his last 8 SEC games plus a bowl game.  His lone win was a 3 point win vs KY.

When Gus took the job at Auburn, I really expected him to kick ass.  I was pissed.  What's the problem?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
I know you guys could give a fuck what I have to think about Gus, but what is the consensus in Auburn about the job he is doing?

Gus is 1-7 in his last 8 SEC games plus a bowl game.  His lone win was a 3 point win vs KY.

When Gus took the job at Auburn, I really expected him to kick ass.  I was pissed.  What's the problem?
We suck. Only one 4th overtime score worse than you but we still suck.
I think the consensus is that we are impatiently waiting at this point. Most of us understand that the defensive problems were not going to be fixed overnight. And we are playing a lot of youth.

Offensively, it's harder to swallow. Most bought into the hype of our pre-season Heisman QB and the potential for the playoff. Fortunately, I wasn't as emotionally invested into that campaign. But, I certainly didn't expect to fall off of a cliff.

Zero calls for his job that I've heard. I think most still think he'll get it turned around.

We start out poorly next season and I promise you it'll be a different story.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:30:43 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
I now know why Jake started over Frost.  I want to apologize to Jake from State Farm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »

Good run of bad shit in a tough conference/division to be honest. It is what it is. Someone said before the season that the last place team in the West was probably still a solid team. I concur. No top heavy elite team to me but top to bottom, its just nasty. Arky is a solid team to me Bert aside. They did beat Tenn, who should probably be undefeated and have a win over Bammer and Oklahoma. I think we have a solid foundation of young guys. Muschamp is dealing with Chicken Shit in his front 7 aside from Lawson and sometimes Adams. The middle of the field is so soft as you saw yourself. Kentucky carved it up much worse than Allen to me.

The O seems to be more in gear now. 250+ yards passing and 150+ yards rushing after having 9 drops? Yeah, I would say the playcalling was ok.

Aside from LSU this year and UGA last year, every game was either winnable or they had the lead at some point so I think the 1-8 part is slightly misleading. Could easily have been 7-2. A&M, Bammer, MSU last year, and then MSU, Ark this year. Lot of difference in what we are seeing right now and 2012. We have a lot of gaps and/or youth on the field in critical spots. Thats where you will see turnovers and penalities. Comes with the territory.

I think your hogs are a better fundamental team than Ole Miss and Aggie. They were obviously better than Tennessee. The Toldeo thing was prob a fluke. Although they arent bad.  So yeah, my fellow fans will have to forgive me if Im not jumping off a roof or calling for the staff to be fired like a whiney brat. I see a lot of good and I see a lot of effort. Time is Auburn's friend at this point. They were not as good of a team as everyone thought....overrated, overhyped and we will just have to swallow that pill this year. I see a lot of good coming back next year and we will be in familiar spot which is the underdog, where we seem to thrive better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »

Aside from LSU this year and UGA last year, every game was either winnable or they had the lead at some point so I think the 1-8 part is slightly misleading. Could easily have been 7-2. A&M, Bammer, MSU last year, and then MSU, Ark this year. Lot of difference in what we are seeing right now and 2012. We have a lot of gaps and/or youth on the field in critical spots. Thats where you will see turnovers and penalities. Comes with the territory.

So it's not 2012, but it is 2008. Maybe a bit worse.

We could have been 10-2 in 2008 if we averaged five more points a game outside of the Alabama game.

We all know what happened at the end of 2008.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
-
- I'm kind of tired of football. For eight years, outside of two seasons, I have watched the same games over and over and over again.

I haven't watched the last two games or any football the last two weekends. For Auburn I know what's coming and its to painful to watch. There is a big ole world out there on Sat's and Sundays and I am starting to explore it.

This is embarrassing:

2-6 against LSU

3-4 against Arkansas

4-3 against Miss State

5-1 against Ole Miss (probably will be 5-2 and do we actually hang our hat on this?)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 11:41:44 AM »
So it's not 2012, but it is 2008. Maybe a bit worse.

We could have been 10-2 in 2008 if we averaged five more points a game outside of the Alabama game.

We all know what happened at the end of 2008.

That may be a more fair assessment than 2012....But even 2008, the writing was on the wall with a coach one foot out the door. I just still see a lot of apples and oranges here comparing any year to this one. If anything, I compare it more to 2003. Overhyped, out of the gate slow, season really started around game 4-5. Very similar. That team also had a solid foundation and a lot of talent/youth. And it set the tone for a super good year the next year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 11:46:44 AM »
What the fuck happened to the X I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest years of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go to the game with you PCT, we might get beat." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Hugh Freeze, he's a dead man! Richt, dead! Saban ...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »
I haven't watched the last two games or any football the last two weekends. For Auburn I know what's coming and its to painful to watch. There is a big ole world out there on Sat's and Sundays and I am starting to explore it.

This is embarrassing:

2-6 against LSU

3-4 against Arkansas

4-3 against Miss State

So you are making what point? Chizik was the coach for 2/3's of that. Its not german or even austrian to the conversation.

What is Gus?

1-1 Bammer
1-1 UGA
1-2 LSU
1-2 MSU
1-1 Aggie
2-1 Arky
2-0 OM
1-0 Mizzou
1-0 Ky
1-0 Tenn

Certainly not a world beating record. But not awful. Aside from UGA last year and LSU this year, most of those were close/winnable. Since Gus is our coach, why are we looking back to the Chizik era for proof of...well anything?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »
What the fuck happened to the X I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest years of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go to the game with you PCT, we might get beat." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Hugh Freeze, he's a dead man! Richt, dead! Saban ...

Dead.  He's right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 11:54:23 AM »

This is embarrassing:

2-6 against LSU

3-4 against Arkansas

4-3 against Miss State

Sucks for you, even though we lost, you missed a damn good football game to watch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 01:17:51 PM »

2-6 against LSU

3-4 against Arkansas

4-3 against Miss State

When did we play LSU 8 times in a 7 year span?

We won't play UGA 8 times in a 7 year span unless we meet them in the SEC Championship game this year.

But your point is made.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
When did we play LSU 8 times in a 7 year span?

We won't play UGA 8 times in a 7 year span unless we meet them in the SEC Championship game this year.

But your point is made.

It's Chizad math.  Just go with it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 01:24:11 PM »
So you are making what point? Chizik was the coach for 2/3's of that. Its not german or even austrian to the conversation.

The goddamn Germans got nothing to do with it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 02:14:37 PM »

okay...dallasfairweatherfan

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions