Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Opening up the QB race?

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Opening up the QB race?
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
We've touched on it a bit in other threads, but here is my take:

After seeing both QBs, I am on the "play calling is shitty" bandwagon. JJs release is too slow for what they need right now. But SW is still getting the same crappy play calling that we have seen the last two years. Yeah yeah. I know the last two years have been great, but they were great due to NM and the run threat. When you are a running team and you run 13 times in a row and then drop back to pass instead of play action, something is broke. When you still call the same plays today that you called for NM, something is broke.

I liken both JJ and SW to Chris Todd in terms of athletic talent. Yet we do not see play calling anything like when Todd was here(and he set records). I'm not sure if that is because Gus is not calling the plays now, or we have "evolved" ourselves right out of good play calling.

But one thing is sure. Even had JJ thrown away those picks, it was still crappy play calliing. I did like the play calling for the most part against MSU, in the beginning. Short quick precise throws.(We did see our first crossing route. It was 3rd and like 16, but JS came across at 5 yds and promptly dropped the ball) Those are not JJs forte. But SW has proved that he can throw darts within 15 - 20 yards. Yet somehow, we throw screens or bombs. And that is on GUS/RL. Until the play calling philosophy changes to account for no NM, we will look the same regardless of the QB. Also, every team we play from here on out WILL blitz. Without a true TE to slip in behind the blitz, we have to be a bit more creative in how we handle it.

I prefer SW at this time due to the quickness and toughness in the run game, and the quick release. If JJ is back in there with the same calls, we will see the same slow release and DBs will have a field day.

Bottom line is, who is the future at QB? Decide that now and design the offense around him. This offense right now is not designed for either of our QBs. And that's a shame because Gus is known for that. Or is it Rhett?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Re: Opening up the QB race?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »

I liken both JJ and SW to Chris Todd in terms of athletic talent. Yet we do not see play calling anything like when Todd was here(and he set records). I'm not sure if that is because Gus is not calling the plays now, or we have "evolved" ourselves right out of good play calling.

Simplest answer is usually the right one.

Perhaps JJ and SW aren't as good as Chris Todd, and the play calling is vanilla and ineffective because JJ and SW can't handle anything better.

Or even simpler, in 2009, Gus Malzahn was the offensive coordinator and in 2015, Rhett Lashlee is the offensive coordinator. We can claim that Gus has complete control of the offense, but we don't know that. We don't really know the responsibilities of the coaching staff.

I imagine that Gus has a host of responsibilities as head coach that puts much of the offense coordination in the hands of Lashlee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »
I think both SW and JJ are light years beyond Todd's athletic ability.  That's not to say Todd was a bad QB...he was actually pretty great given his physical limitations.

JJ's problems are mental and SW's problems are based in our play-calling.

JJ was struggling enough on his own, but we had receivers dropping his (rare) well-thrown balls compounding the problem.

The team looks more energized with SW/Barber/KJ out there.  Perhaps the removal of Duke will prove to be the correction to the team's chemistry to truly put the spark back in the offense.

That's a lot of words to say, I think either QB can be prolific in this offense, but they need help from their team mates and coaches to do so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
I think both SW and JJ are light years beyond Todd's athletic ability.  That's not to say Todd was a bad QB...he was actually pretty great given his physical limitations.

JJ's problems are mental and SW's problems are based in our play-calling.

JJ was struggling enough on his own, but we had receivers dropping his (rare) well-thrown balls compounding the problem.

The team looks more energized with SW/Barber/KJ out there.  Perhaps the removal of Duke will prove to be the correction to the team's chemistry to truly put the spark back in the offense.

That's a lot of words to say, I think either QB can be prolific in this offense, but they need help from their team mates and coaches to do so.
and JJ need to get dem snakes outta his head.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
We have no clue whatsoever what White can do.  CCT mentioned the first drive against MSU.  Short, quick passes....mistake.  They've gone into a shell ever since. 7+ quarters of shitty, vanilla, play calling. He may have incredible ability to run this offense like a well oiled machine.  He may suck the cock.  I would have thought after two games that we'd have a feel for what he can do.  To me, he's just taking snaps back there.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
We have no clue whatsoever what White can do.  CCT mentioned the first drive against MSU.  Short, quick passes....mistake.  They've gone into a shell ever since. 7+ quarters of shitty, vanilla, play calling. He may have incredible ability to run this offense like a well oiled machine.  He may suck the cock.  I would have thought after two games that we'd have a feel for what he can do.  To me, he's just taking snaps back there.

and no one knows cock suckers better than ol' Snaggs
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »
no truer words have ever been spoken on the X.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:04:31 PM »
no truer words have ever been spoken on the X.

I predict cutting of certain bitches soon....but

Wrong

Someone once said you were as gay as the day is long, and most likely the shittiest poster in the history of this board. It can't logically get any truer than that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 02:09:15 PM »
I predict cutting of certain bitches soon....but

Wrong

Someone once said you were as gay as the day is long, and most likely the shittiest poster in the history of this board. It can't logically get any truer than that.
I don't understand why you have to bring sexuality into every conversation but at least you aren't making fun of my ginormous penis this time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »

You gots that right.  I've had my cork soaked many a time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »
$1 dollar to look at it
$2 dollars to touch it
$3 dollars to watch me touch it
$5 dollars to touch it while I touch my toes
$6 dollars to touch it while I touch your toes
$10 dollars for a BJ
$12 dollars for an HJ
$15 dollars for a ZJ
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
$1 dollar to look at it
$2 dollars to touch it
$3 dollars to watch me touch it
$5 dollars to touch it while I touch my toes
$6 dollars to touch it while I touch your toes
$10 dollars for a BJ
$12 dollars for an HJ
$15 dollars for a ZJ
What's a ZJ?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
What's a ZJ?
If you have to ask big man, you can't afford it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 03:47:03 PM »
Jonathan Wallace has just been named starting QB!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 03:49:27 PM »

Sweet.  It's officially 2012 again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
Sweet.  It's officially 2012 again.

I feel younger. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »

GOD HELP US.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Starship

• "Jane you say its all over for you and me girl"
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »

joking right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 08:45:09 PM »
You guys need to get out more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 08:51:43 PM »

Yeah.  Luigi here was born to soak cork.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.