Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 2

Thoughts - Week 2
« on: September 12, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »
Auburn

- Similar to last week's observation, it is what it is. Jeremy Johnson is not going to get much better. He's not going to be coached up. He's not going to improve to the level we need in order to compete with the best SEC teams. Maybe he can get a little better and maybe we can gameplan around it, but he like Kiehl Frazier is a detriment to the offense.

- It's not that he doesn't have the size, arm strength, and play calls. It's that he can't handle the speed of the game.

When I was in undergrad, I went to a practice during the fall of 2004. It was during two-a-days, I think, and it was an evening practice to avoid the heat. What amazed me the most was just how quick the players were. I watched Carnell Williams juke and shift through the hole and then cut it up the sideline. There were a lot of players yelling, hooting, and just being downright competitive about a simple practice play. Every time a play was run or even during drills, you would hear pads pop and heavy breaths being taken. To sum this up, it was just fucking fast, like handcuff lightning, throw thunder in jail fast.

Another time was in the spring of 2007 when I was a Tiger Host. It was A-Day, and I was on the field guiding recruits around to watch the warm up drills. I got stuck near the linebackers and someone told me to step back. I didn't. I watched as the linebackers did this shuffle and run drill, where they shuffled away from me and from about ten yards out, bolted into a dead sprint right in my direction. A linebacker was charging at me and in my face so quickly that I couldn't make sense of just how a human being that large could move that way.

And that's why even if I had all the physical tools in the world to play quarterback, I would be a failure. My brain just doesn't comprehend the speed of college football defenses. To get the snap, know the play, make the read, innovate, make the adjustments, execute the play all within a second or two, there's no way I could handle it.

And neither can Johnson. I'm sure he looks great when the pressure is off (see Arkansas 2014 when he knew Marshall would come in at the half). I'm sure he does everything right in practice. But he's a shit quarterback who is going to lose us a lot of games.

- Not that this team as a whole is all that better. The offensive line couldn't get any kind of a push on an FCS defense. We've been plagued with holding calls so far, and the running backs are having to fight through congestion just to break the line of scrimmage.

- Defensively, I was confused about the strategy. We stayed in man coverage the whole game. Does Muschamp just not run zone? Our secondary couldn't cover Jax State receivers. How will they handle Dupree next week? Why didn't we change the coverage? To Jax State's credit, two of their receivers were downright ballers.

- I attended the game and sat beneath the jumbotron on row 53. It sucks for people underneath it. The picture is a bunch of squares with smudged moving colors in each one. You can't tell what's going on in the replays, and I couldn't even see the other side of the screen to see stats or other scores. We walked to the other side of the stadium after the game and from the opposite side, it looks beautiful. But it seems rather lame that 1/4 of the stadium can't even see the damn thing when you spent millions of dollars on it.

- Also, not sure if this was seen by anyone else or if it's been brought up, but two of our defensive linemen were loafing their fat asses off the field going into halftime. One was Montravious Adams who walked over to Malzahn as he was finishing up his pre-halftime interview. I don't know what was said, but Adams said something to Malzahn and Malzhan lit into him right there on the field. As a spectator, I have no idea what happened there, but if I had to assume, I would assume that there was some bullshit laziness from Adams going into the locker room and it looked like he had some kind of complaint, which set Malzahn off. I hope Gus nips that bullshit in the bud quickly and I hope there aren't some kind of discipline issues going on behind closed doors.

- Here's a disturbing quote from Johnson:

"I didn't feel that I wasn't playing good," Johnson said. "It's football, interceptions are going to happen. All the greats throw interceptions. I feel really good about where this team at, where I'm at. I have a lot of confidence in myself and also my team. They always tell me we've got confidence, we believe in you, and that's great to hear from your teammates."

- I miss Nick Marshall. Guy was a straight baller, clutch in big games, clutch in big moments. Feet from Michael Jackson and legs from Usain Bolt.

Other Thoughts

- Hahahahah Arkansas.

- Watched the 1st quarter of the LSU game. LSU looks stout. Real stout. But Miss State also looks like dogshit. Stanky dogshit.

- Tennessee could have been back tonight, but they're not. Typical 6, 7 win Tennessee team.

- Best teams in the SEC right now: Alabama (that defensive line OMG) and Texas A&M (Sumlin's offense with a decent defense plus a win against a respectable opponent).

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Thoughts - Week 2
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 10:38:38 PM »
The quote from JJ is mind boggling. It worries me. He has no clue.

I hope Gus doesn't believe that shit too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 10:54:46 PM »
To your point on quickness. I think these guys are quick, but they don't play balls to the wall every play. Barber plays that way. He looks like the one guy trying to kill the opponent every play. The whole team needs that attitude. We don't play pissed off at all.

Watching Orth come in for USCe, I can only think about how White is that kid that does what it takes. We need somebody willing to sell out every play at QB.

Fournette is going the shred us. And when we commit all 11 guys to stop him, Harris will run on us like the UL and JSU QBs. But don't worry, we'll keep it close by only throwing 2 INTs.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:54:07 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:01:07 AM »
We're still shitty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 07:54:47 AM »
Hard to make any excuses for that.  If Auburn is truly a top 10 team, they win by 3 or more scores.  No excuses here, just observations.  On JSU's side:

I was at the game.  That QB was incredibly accurate and extremely quick.  If our DB's were going to make plays, they had to be perfect because the throws were all on the money.  It wasn't until the 4th quarter that our DB's finally started looking for the ball instead of just running with the receiver.  Every time they turned around, they made the break up. 

In addition, they were able to complete all those dinks and dunks and quick slants because we gave them 10 yard cushions the entire game.  No press coverage allowed.  Inexplicable.  Really questioned Muschamp on that. 

For Auburn:

The positives were definitely Cass McKinzy and Ricardo Lewis.  McKinzy was a beast.  All over the field making plays and he was fired up all day.  He got hurt on a kick off (Why our starting LB is in on KO's is mind boggling) When he cleared the cobwebs and they got him up, he tried to run to the defensive huddle.  Best game I've ever seen him play. Lewis was open all day and made play after play. 10 catches for 76.  Yes, Barber looked great by games end but honestly, he looked slow and uninspired the first half.  Gotta' throw in Carlson and the punter (Phillips?).  Solid.  And the long snapping was spot on.  Probably won us that game.

One thing that has to be pointed out is we're not nearly playing with a full deck.  Maybe literally and figuratively.  Carl Lawson was out.  Tray Matthews was out.  Josh Holsey...out.  Blake Countess...thrown out.  Devaroe Lawrence went out for most of the second half.  (The new Come on, Swain is shitty and lazy)  Avery Young didn't play.  Don't know if Kozan is hurt or just not getting it done.  Jovon Robinson is apparently out.

This is already a beat up, banged up team. And yes, the secondary always had at least 2, sometimes 3 true freshmen playing on every play in the second half.  We have to get all these defensive guys back and healthy to have a shot at LSU.

Jeremy Johnson.  21-32  236 yards 2 TD's  2 INT's.  Pretty obvious they reigned him in after last week.  The majority of his throws, especially early, were shorter and more conservative.  He did a good job with those and made beautiful throws to Roc and Melvin for the TD's.  He had two drops on passes he hit the guys in stride. One was a drop by Ray, then they came back and ran the same play and JJ threw another strike.

Then you've got the  :facepalm:  He short armed a TD on the first drive that killed it.  The receiver was gone if he hits him.  Then come the two WTF moments where you wonder what the fuck he was looking at.

I'm not nearly ready to put him in the Kadril category.  Not only could Kaleel not decipher the color of the jerseys, he even made their guys work for the interceptions.  He couldn't hit the broad side of my ample sized ass at point blank range. I'm not defending him either.  Just saying he's done just enough good things to hold out a glimmer of hope.  We all want to see our QB hit Duke in stride on 5-6 slants a game.  That's a thing of the past, folks. That's priority one for these defenses.  They had someone inside of him every single play and when we did throw it, he got his head taken off.

I like his quote about staying confident and his teammates having faith in him.  What do you want to hear from your starting QB heading into Death Valley? "Yeah...uuhh...pretty obvious I suck and my teammates locked me out of the locker room."  If he's really lost it and has snakes in his head, we'll see a freshman taking snaps in Baton Rude.  I just want the guy to get his head out of his ass.  I want to get 5 healthy guys to gel on the O-line.  I want all these defensive guys to get back on the field, stat. I want a hamburger...no...a cheeseburger.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »
Did White loosen up on the sideline (preparing to play) yesterday?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
Did White loosen up on the sideline (preparing to play) yesterday?

Nope
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »
You'll get nothing and like it
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »
You'll get nothing and like it
I'll tell YOU what I get plenty of: What is it Sunday?
I'm already sick of the recurring weekly Carl Lawson Watch that's going to play out the rest of this season.
Call me a crusty old insensitive bastard (or worse) but we can't possibly be leaning on that (just like last season) as an excuse for getting diced up like we did yesterday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »

"Yeah...uuhh...pretty obvious I suck and my teammates locked me out of the locker room." 

Maybe just to start the game?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »
We may very well suck the rest of this season and I thought we were overrated from the get go. I'm the kind of guy to tell you I told you so.

But I didn't think we were as overrated as I now think we were.

Still, I don't buy the worst AU win or closest call in AU history mantra. Yes, 1aa. Just like Ga Southern and others who have damn near beat us before. Except Jax state is full of SEC transfers.

No excuse, we should've led from beginning but Im saying Jax State is damn good.

Snags mentioned the db's not playing the ball, knew that was coming with Muschamp. Seen it before. And we obviously are pretty poor at containing and are trying to bend but not break. I thought we would've attacked more.

Future? I don't know. We'll see in Baton Rouge but I'm thinking Harris and Fournette roll up in excess of 200 on us. And not having a mobile QB AND one that is apparently color blind makes for a potential long season. I'm cautiously pessimistic at this point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 10:18:38 AM »
Well, if JJ can't throw it to our guys at least keep the QB option run/read open.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

dallaswareagle

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
We may very well suck the rest of this season and I thought we were overrated from the get go. I'm the kind of guy to tell you I told you so.

Still, I don't buy the worst AU win or closest call in AU history mantra. Yes, 1aa. Just like Ga Southern and others who have damn near beat us before. Except Jax state is full of SEC transfers.

No excuse, we should've led from beginning but Im saying Jax State is damn good.

Snags mentioned the db's not playing the ball, knew that was coming with Muschamp. Seen it before. And we obviously are pretty poor at containing and are trying to bend but not break. I thought we would've attacked more.

Future? I don't know. We'll see in Baton Rouge but I'm thinking Harris and Fournette roll up in excess of 200 on us. And not having a mobile QB AND one that is apparently color blind makes for a potential long season. I'm cautiously pessimistic at this point.

We may very well be 2-2 at the end of this month.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »

OH NO, part of the false sense of security that will follow this team is that it will do justenough to get by one dimensional LSU in Baton Rouge even if Fournette gouges us.
This roller coaster's just dicking around pal. You ain't seen nothing yet. :sad:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »
Well, if JJ can't throw it to our guys at least keep the QB option run/read open.
He can run the option (step slow) but I'm not sure other teams will hit him with malice as they should for fear of what our backup might actually accomplish.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 10:42:06 AM »
He can run the option (step slow) but I'm not sure other teams will hit him with malice as they should for fear of what our backup might actually accomplish.

Didn't think of that. I am pretty sure they will do whatever they can to keep JJ in the game.

Without looking he has to leading the nation in interceptions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »

Didn't think of that. I am pretty sure they will do whatever they can to keep JJ in the game.

Tied with Zach Terrell at Western Michigan with 5 on the season.

Johnson is ranked 91st in QB rating after games against an 0-2 Louisville team and an FCS team.

Greg Ward Jr. from Houston was able to throw for 3 touchdowns and one pick against Louisville. He was 22/33 for 269 yards. Compared with Johnson who was 11/21 for 137 yards and 1 touchdown and 3 picks.

Possibly more concerning is that Houston contained Lamar Jackson to the point that Petrino had to go to his other quarterbacks just to stay in it (Jackson had 12 carries for 16 yards). For as much as we hated Johnson, Muschamp is not exactly performing a stellar turn around. This is probably just growing pains though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

dallaswareagle

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »
Tied with Zach Terrell at Western Michigan with 5 on the season.

Johnson is ranked 91st in QB rating after games against an 0-2 Louisville team and an FCS team.

Greg Ward Jr. from Houston was able to throw for 3 touchdowns and one pick against Louisville. He was 22/33 for 269 yards. Compared with Johnson who was 11/21 for 137 yards and 1 touchdown and 3 picks.

Possibly more concerning is that Houston contained Lamar Jackson to the point that Petrino had to go to his other quarterbacks just to stay in it (Jackson had 12 carries for 16 yards). For as much as we hated Johnson, Muschamp is not exactly performing a stellar turn around. This is probably just growing pains though.

Growing pains I understand against what we thought was a mid-tier Louisville team and first game> But to give up 500 yards to an FCS team is inexcusable. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »

You know he has speed just not that quick step to make it (option) a real threat as with Nick.
He really has so much going for him athletically I can't help but put some blame our OC collaboration for overvaluing his ability to make the correct choice. I've seen open field when he could run. And we know for a fact that he could outrun Chris Todd, likely Frazier and most certainly Moseley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 11:08:27 AM »
I think Jameis threw 18 picks last season. Not as much an issue as much as it is situation, position on the field and untimeliness...like killing the momentum of a drive. More interested in what he does apart from his fuckups and how the rest of the team plays around him. Doesn't look promising!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions