Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Who's Afraid of...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Who's Afraid of...
« on: August 20, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »
Looking at the SEC Quarterback landscape. 

Who's Afraid Of

Dak Prescott -  Nobody, really.  He's diet Cam Newton, caffeine free, low sodium.  His offensive line is gone, his receivers are gone. He was never as good as people thought he was.

Josh Dobbs - Aliens, perhaps?  The eyebrow deficient UT QB with the enormous five head looked mediocre in mop up duty against bad teams. Tennessee fans are convinced he's a mix of Johnny Manziel and Condredge Holloway.  He's probably more Beth Holloway and Johnny Fever. For all the orange hoopla, his numbers were worse than LSU's quarterbacks. 

Alabama's Hydra -  No one.  Alabama caught lightning in a bottle a year ago with Blake Sims -- who benefitted greatly from multiple opponent's brain-dead decision not to double Amari Cooper.  Lightning doesn't strike twice.  Jacob Coker doesn't strike fear in anyone. Neither does Super Douche Barnett. Cornwell might be okay eventually, but he doesn't have anybody quaking in their boots either.

LSU's Duo - There's not a junior high team in the land that is scared of either LSU quarterback. 

Georgia's No-Name - Doesn't matter. All he's going to do is hand off to Chubb anyway. 

Chad Kelly - Legitimately afraid?  Like he's going to pull a gun or something?  Probably lots of people. But on the field?  Not so much.  Pedestrian numbers at Clemson. 

Brandon Allen - Maybe a little. He looks like a QB and has help up front and behind him at Arky. 

Kyle Allen - Just a bit.  Looked good and bad as a freshman.  A&M has weapons at wideout to make him look better than he is. 

Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, South Carolina and Missouri may have quarterbacks but nobody knows who they are. 

And finally, Jeremy Johnson -  Nobody's much scared of him either.  They don't think he has the backfield to keep the pressure off.  The consensus is that he put up decent numbers against an Arkansas defense that hadn't "gelled" so that doesn't count. 

If I'm picking a QB for my team from that list?

I'd take Johnson first (just because I know what he's capable of), Kyle Allen second, Brandon Allen third and then just take any of the rest at random because I didn't want them anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Who's Afraid of...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 11:37:22 AM »
That list right thar is a joke an all.  Nick Sabunz' just tryin' to decide which fahv star to put back thar an all.  Nick Sabun don't need no superstar back thar cuz he's surrounded with fahv star talent an all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 11:52:01 AM »
Coker is the starter but he must be too rigid to pull off the hurry up they want to run. Suppose they will platoon as the situation calls.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
Coker is the starter but he must be too rigid to pull off the hurry up they want to run. Suppose they will platoon as the situation calls.

Pfft...it's because he can't throw a bubble screen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »
Pfft...it's because he can't throw a bubble screen.
Not even a tiny one?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »
Dak is a good quarterback.  His problem is that he lost errbody and their grandmother off a pretty solid offense.  He can throw jump balls to Wilson and run the QB dive for a couple yards, but it won't be enough.  He's not "scary" without a solid supporting cast, but few (other than our boy Cam) are.  He's the best returning starter, though.

After Dak, I'd put Patty Ice just below Kyle Allen and just above Josh Dobbs, but otherwise your list stands.

Edit Note: I completely forgot about Maty Mauk.  I guess he gets my vote for best returning starter.  Still doesn't make much difference in the final analysis.

Call it blind homerism, but Johnson is my pick to be a fixture on the highlight shows.  His one half against Arkansas, discounted as it may be, is one of the best halves of football I've ever seen with the following qualifiers: he was throwing his 42nd-57th career passes in the first game of his true sophomore season against a divisional opponent.  His patience and maturity, displayed while accepting a 2nd string role when he could have started for about 100 other FBS schools, are indicative of superior leadership skills. 

I take our guy and I don't even think twice.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:43:01 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 10:42:47 PM »
Dak is a good quarterback.  His problem is that he lost errbody and their grandmother off a pretty solid offense.  He can throw jump balls to Wilson and run the QB dive for a couple yards, but it won't be enough.  He's not "scary" without a solid supporting cast, but few (other than our boy Cam) are.  He's the best returning starter, though.

After Dak, I'd put Patty Ice just below Kyle Allen and just above Josh Dobbs, but otherwise your list stands.

Edit Note: I completely forgot about Maty Mauk.  I guess he gets my vote for best returning starter.  Still doesn't make much difference in the final analysis.

Call it blind homerism, but Johnson is my pick to be a fixture on the highlight shows.  His one half against Arkansas, discounted as it may be, is one of the best halves of football I've ever seen with the following qualifiers: he was throwing his 42nd-57th career passes in the first game of his true sophomore season against a divisional opponent.  His patience and maturity, displayed while accepting a 2nd string role when he could have started for about 100 other FBS schoosl, are indicative of superior leadership skills. 

You complete me.

All of this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 11:30:25 PM »
Dak is a good quarterback.  His problem is that he lost errbody and their grandmother off a pretty solid offense. He can throw jump balls to Wilson and run the QB dive for a couple yards, but it won't be enough.  He's not "scary" without a solid supporting cast, but few (other than our boy Cam) are.  He's the best returning starter, though.

Call it blind homerism, but Johnson is my pick to be a fixture on the highlight shows.  His one half against Arkansas, discounted as it may be, is one of the best halves of football I've ever seen with the following qualifiers: he was throwing his 42nd-57th career passes in the first game of his true sophomore season against a divisional opponent.  His patience and maturity, displayed while accepting a 2nd string role when he could have started for about 100 other FBS schools, are indicative of superior leadership skills. 

I beg to differ.  73 catches for over a thousand yards and 12 touchdowns ain't jump balls.  Had to throw a last second, hellavua catch to beat em' in 2013.  They beat our ass in 14'  Both these guys are studs. Big time studs.  This team lost a lot but don't discount them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 11:39:26 PM »

I beg to differ.  73 catches for over a thousand yards and 12 touchdowns ain't jump balls.  Had to throw a last second, hellavua catch to beat em' in 2013.  They beat our ass in 14'  Both these guys are studs. Big time studs.  This team lost a lot but don't discount them.

Without that fucking bowling ball, Robinson, and 7/29ths (or .14952%) of his offensive line...he's gonna have two plays left: jump ball to Wilson and QB dive for a couple of yards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 04:50:22 AM »

Too late we marked them half off.

But hats off if the guy overcomes the deficits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »
I think that Alec Morris will be Alabama's starter.  I hope so, anyway.  Jimbo trolled Alabama pretty good.  Coker just isn't SEC quality.  He can throw it a mile, but just can't make his progressions and stares down receivers.  At least Morris will be around this year and next.  If they made Sims serviceable, I have no doubt that they could do the same at minimum with Morris.  Which says a lot about Coker.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:59:56 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

RWS

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
I wouldn't count on the platoon approach.  Saban has said before that he hates that shit, so don't rock the got-damn boat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jmar

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
I wouldn't count on the platoon approach.  Saban has said before that he hates that shit, so don't rock the got-damn boat.
I only say this bc Coker (from what I've seen) tends to panic and make mistakes when the pocket collapses. If not, the guy can deliver as good as anyone. No idea who will be number two, or Kiffen's version of the Wildcat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 06:20:42 PM »
I only say this bc Coker (from what I've seen) tends to panic and make mistakes when the pocket collapses. If not, the guy can deliver as good as anyone. No idea who will be number two, or Kiffen's version of the Wildcat.
Coker tends to panic and make mistakes when he has 8 seconds to throw against St. Mary's Sisters of the Blind's second string.  He's not consistent either.  Maybe I'm wrong about it all.  I thought that the season would be shitty with Sims as starter, and I was wrong.  I just don't think that they can mindfuck Coker into being serviceable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »
Coker tends to panic and make mistakes when he has 8 seconds to throw against St. Mary's Sisters of the Blind's second string.  He's not consistent either.  Maybe I'm wrong about it all.  I thought that the season would be shitty with Sims as starter, and I was wrong.  I just don't think that they can mindfuck Coker into being serviceable.

You can see all of these things from your living room?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
You can see all of these things from your living room?

Welcome back RWS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
I'm hearing rumblings that Derrick Henry will spend as much time under center this season as Coker.  Look for the new Wildkiff offense to be skrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 06:57:12 AM »
You get two and a a mop-up guy.

Roh To!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions