Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Letterman Leaves

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Letterman Leaves
« on: May 21, 2015, 01:54:44 AM »
Anyone watch?  I haven't watch him in years but I did tonight.  Not sure why, maybe because I also watched Carson's last show, keeping the streak alive, whatever.  Also maybe because decent late night talk shows a la Carson and Letterman are a dying breed. I'm sure the whippersnappers on here think that's a good thing, but only Letterman (or Carson before him) could have made that speech after 9/11 giving the nation the okay to laugh again.

I think Colbert is going to be horrible, worse than Conan, and that's saying a lot.

So Meh. I'm out too.

Thanks for the Top Ten Lists, stupid pet/human tricks, the Velcro wall, dropping fruit off the roof, and leaving with some dignity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Letterman Leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:42:06 AM »
Watched it and thought it was really good. I was a Dave fan from the time he was on in the a.m. He was unlike anything on TV at the time.

The last 10 years I lost my man crush. He was too political for me. I don't mind his liberal leanings but keep it off my Late Show. Thanks for the memories but I won't miss what I had stopped watching years ago.

X2 re: the 911 monologue.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
I didn't watch a second of it. The show died when he moved to CBS. Like WT said, he just became too political for my taste. He turned into a nasty and bitter liberal lickspittle the last few years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
What the last two posters posted X100.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:23:02 AM »
Growing up, Dave always felt cooler and edgier... while Leno was for the old farts. I don't care what his political leanings are, I always dug his deadpan manner when telling jokes or watching him play the role of uncomfortable host during gags. He had some classic moments over the years but late night talk shows have become a relic in general. Any really worthwhile moments end up online and repeatedly encountered on my newsfeed or message board anyway, so rarely is there a need to tune in live.

In no way will it be the same but I actually think Colbert will end up being alright. The non-comedy Comedy Central character Colbert is a pretty smart entertainer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »
Plus, the way he handled the blackmail scandal was impressive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »
Watched.  For old time's sake.  Dave went on the air when I was 15 or so.  My parents didn't think he was funny at all and that just made him more funny to me.  Back in the pre-DirecTV days I used to watch his show more often than not.  It was the background noise as my sleep timer ticked down.  His show last night was not what I expected.  A little tame and less emotional than I expected from it.  (I did hate the ranting English guy who came on after him.  No idea who it was, I was in another room working but could hear it). 

Liked Letterman way more than Carson, exponentially more than Leno (what an assbag) and more than the rest they tried to run out there in the older days -- including Magic Johnson, Chevy Chase. I tried to like Arsenio, but his act (the first time around) was to noisy for me. The second time around it was like a time warp -- did we really just slide back into the 90s and parachute pants?  -- and didn't connect.  Conan is a non-factor really.  but he doesn't do anything for me.  I don't care for his humor usually. 

I'm not hipster (or whatever) enough for Kimmel. He irritates me with his 'I'm cooler than you' smirk.  I'm not smarmy (or whatever) enough for Jon Stewart, Colbert or that crew.  I don't like their politicizing and it frightens me that so many, including some of the dearly departed here, looked to those clowns as legitimate news sources.  You'll even see al.com run articles about what Stewart, that english guy I don't like, Colbert or some of those have to say about a topic. That's not news.  Or shouldn't be.  The late-late guys are unbearable. Even Seth Myers who was good on SNL is too much to take in the large dose of a talk-show format.  And the guys with the funny accents?  I never know what they are saying.  Julia Roberts is on there and he's like "Sew, yah brambled aleen wad ya wee tyke, ahn pleece da beebah ohn da smutterin blankee, deed yah nouw?"  I can't watch that.

Fallon I like.  He's a lot like what Letterman was like in the early days.  Letterman changed the whole dynamic of the talk show with his pet tricks and human tricks and Larry 'Bud' Melman.  Fallon is now pushing the boundaries a little further and he's doing it well.  His bits are consistently entertaining (as Dave's used to be) and he gets people to do things they normally wouldn't (like Dave used to do).  If you haven't seen Christina Aguilera channel Cher, Britney and Shakira on his show, look that up on the YouTubes.  Fallon's the only one worth watching now. 

But I usually watch Law & Order instead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:33 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »

You can't "what the last two posters posted" your own post.  Especially not X100. That's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 10:13:26 AM »
Larry "Bud" Mellman, Flunky the Late Night Viewer Mail Clown, Chris Elliott, and the Viewer Mail Monkey made the show. I never could stand Paul Schaeffer, though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 11:15:35 AM »
Larry "Bud" Mellman, Flunky the Late Night Viewer Mail Clown, Chris Elliott, and the Viewer Mail Monkey made the show. I never could stand Paul Schaeffer, though.

Got to like Paul. 

His drummer Anton Fig sat in for Peter Criss on the KISS Unmasked album when the Cat was being bitchy and about to leave the band.  Fig also played drums on Ace Frehley's solo albums.  Shaffer himself worked with Peter on his albums after the CatMan went solo. 

Shaffer also was a regular on the old SNL (played the piano for Bill Murray's lounge singer skits among other things).  That was awesome.

He was part of The Honeydrippers.

And he helped write "It's Raining Men" (but is not gay). 

Paul is crazy cool.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »
Paul's not gay?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
Paul's not gay?

Guys who shave their head are.... Wait...Not all of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 12:35:11 PM »
Paul's not gay?

Wait, I thought he was dead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »
Letterman, not funny after his big liberal coming out party.

Rarely watched him before. never after.

i like my comedy sans wussification...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 01:46:57 PM »
Generally hate the format, but love Dave.

If you don't like Conan, then you just don't understand comedy.  Apart from other eye-popping accomplishments, he was head writer on the Simpsons during their golden age.  The man is fucking bona fide.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 01:51:58 PM »
Generally hate the format, but love Dave.

If you don't like Conan, then you just don't understand comedy.  Apart from other eye-popping accomplishments, he was head writer on the Simpsons during their golden age.  The man is fucking bona fide.

It's the hair.  I can't get past the hair.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 01:59:30 PM »
I posted this before but one of the funniest Conan moments ever.  Just the reaction to this random line.....

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:55 PM »
I like Fallon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »
I like Fallon.

Fallin' on this dick!!!

Oh, that's not what you said?  Nevermind...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin