Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Letterman Leaves

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Letterman Leaves
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 11:59:09 PM »

If you don't like Conan, then you just don't understand comedy. 

Disagree. Vehemently. 

I've had this same statement said to me in regard to Will Ferrel. And Jim Carrey. And Monty Python. And Dave Chappelle. And Melissa McCarthy. And Seth McFarlane. And Dane Fucking Cook. And lots of other people. All were wrong. Or possibly right.

Comedy is subjective.  What's funny to you isn't funny to me.  It's kind of like the fart thing.  Two types of people in the world.  Those that can't help but laugh at the noise of a fart and those that can't laugh at it. Doesn't mean that the fart laughers are wrong or that the non-laughers are. Just that it works different ways for different people.

The Simpsons has never, ever, ever, ever been funny.  Ever.

I may think Benny Hill is a comedic genius.  Or Chris Rock.  I may think Bill Murray has the potential to be really funny.  Or that John Hughes wrote some of the best comedic films of all time.   I may think that The Office was really funny. Or that Mike Judge (other than Beavis and Butthead) has a keen comedic sense. 

But to say that if I don't like Conan I don't understand comedy?  Pffffttttt.  (Glad to be able to use that again). 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

chinook

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 01:02:49 AM »
Generally hate the format, but love Dave.

If you don't like Conan, then you just don't understand comedy.  Apart from other eye-popping accomplishments, he was head writer on the Simpsons during their golden age.  The man is fucking bona fide.

Chopper hated the format too...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 06:34:32 AM »
Disagree. Vehemently. 

I've had this same statement said to me in regard to Will Ferrel. And Jim Carrey. And Monty Python. And Dave Chappelle. And Melissa McCarthy. And Seth McFarlane. And Dane Fucking Cook. And lots of other people. All were wrong. Or possibly right.

Comedy is subjective.  What's funny to you isn't funny to me.  It's kind of like the fart thing.  Two types of people in the world.  Those that can't help but laugh at the noise of a fart and those that can't laugh at it. Doesn't mean that the fart laughers are wrong or that the non-laughers are. Just that it works different ways for different people.

The Simpsons has never, ever, ever, ever been funny.  Ever.

I may think Benny Hill is a comedic genius.  Or Chris Rock.  I may think Bill Murray has the potential to be really funny.  Or that John Hughes wrote some of the best comedic films of all time.   I may think that The Office was really funny. Or that Mike Judge (other than Beavis and Butthead) has a keen comedic sense. 

But to say that if I don't like Conan I don't understand comedy?  Pffffttttt.  (Glad to be able to use that again).

While I agree the list you provided is full of silly and non funny, I wouldn't quite put them in the same category as Conan. He has his moments. Most on that list haven't had one moment. Much less a solo gig.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 07:18:52 AM »
While I agree the list you provided is full of silly and non funny, I wouldn't quite put them in the same category as Conan. He has his moments. Most on that list haven't had one moment. Much less a solo gig.

Conan just isn't funny.  He's sarcastic. He's wry. He's sardonic. He's pithy. He's mocking. He's derisive. But "comedy?" 

No. 

He's one in a long line of those who think "funny" comes from an air that they're smarter than somebody else and we're all in on the joke.   That definition of humor doesn't work for me. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:21:21 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 08:32:49 AM »
Conan just isn't funny.  He's sarcastic. He's wry. He's sardonic. He's pithy. He's mocking. He's derisive. But "comedy?" 

No. 

He's one in a long line of those who think "funny" comes from an air that they're smarter than somebody else and we're all in on the joke.   That definition of humor doesn't work for me.

Well that begs the question, is he a comedian or a host?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 09:50:02 AM »
I loved Letterman back in the day. I loved his smart ass attitude.

One of my favorite interviews is below. Apparently, Letterman agreed not to ask Paris Hilton anything about her being in jail so she agreed to come on his show to promote her perfume. It took Letterman 30 seconds to start in on the prison talk and stay on it the whole interview. Brilliant! Fallon's lame ass wouldn't do this. He would be lipsynching with Paris or playing boogle or some shit.

You know the interview is going to be awesome when Dave introduces Paris as having "many talents"...while giving his smart ass sarcastic smirk...

"good for you. How did you like being in jail?" hahahahahahahah

How was the bologna?

Awesome!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:51:39 AM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 10:42:23 AM »
Most spot on statement so far: "Comedy is subjective."

That being said, I'm easy to please when it comes to comedy.  And I'm just plain easy when you get a few drinks in me. I can laugh at just about anything and the list of performers I don't care for at all is similar to my Johnson...short. 

I think you do place the majority of late night talk show hosts in the category of comedians, because the majority of them, including Letterman, got their starts in stand up comedy.  They're there to host the show and do interviews, but it's their job to be funny first and foremost.  Like many have said before, I grew tired of Letterman when too often, he veered into the area of political commentary and clearly took sides. But more than that, I thought the writing took a huge step back and he delivered it like he knew it and had grown tired of the whole thing.  There were numerous times in recent years that I gave him a shot and just turned after a few minutes thinking, this just isn't funny in the least. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »
I figure that as I'm considered by most as the most witty and hilarious poster on here, my opinion is likely sought by most of you. I've remained silent on the subject because it is certainly very subjective.

The main thing to realize is that you either have it or you don't.

I read through all of these lame humor attempts and same old tired schtick and wish I could help. Because it really sucks and is painful to read. But it's not something that can be learned. It's a gift bestowed at birth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

chinook

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 11:38:15 AM »
I figure that as I'm considered by most as the most witty and hilarious poster on here, my opinion is likely sought by most of you. I've remained silent on the subject because it is certainly very subjective.

The main thing to realize is that you either have it or you don't.

I read through all of these lame humor attempts and same old tired schtick and wish I could help. Because it really sucks and is painful to read. But it's not something that can be learned. It's a gift bestowed at birth.

Actually, I don't like your format.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »
Actually, I don't like your format.
Understandable. It's of a more intellectual nature.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 12:42:06 PM »
Monty Python mentioned earlier.  Growing up, Python was extremely popular, but I couldn't stand the English brand of humor.  Now, I hate that I missed out on all those years of laughing my ass off.  Pontius Pilate with a speech impediment?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 12:43:10 PM »
You're conflating writing and performing, K.

Subjective comedy aside, you're dead fucking wrong about the Simpsons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
Okay, this is just a copy/pasta from the wiki's....so you know it's 100% factual.   :thumsup:

Not that this has anything to do with whether or not you find Conan funny.  But just looking at his background...hey, not what I expected. 

O'Brien was born in Brookline, Massachusetts. His father, Thomas Francis O'Brien, is a physician, epidemiologist, and professor of medicine at Harvard.[14][15][16] His mother, Ruth O'Brien (née Reardon), is an attorney and partner at the Boston firm Ropes & Gray.[17] He is the third of six children. O'Brien's family is Irish Catholic; some of his Irish ancestors immigrated before the American Civil War.[16] In a Late Night episode, O'Brien paid a visit to County Kerry, Ireland, where his ancestors originated.

O'Brien attended Brookline High School, where he served as the managing editor of the school newspaper, The Sagamore.[16] In his sophomore year, O'Brien was an intern for Congressman Robert Drinan[18] and in his senior year, he won the National Council of Teachers of English writing contest with his short story, "To Bury the Living".[19] After graduating as valedictorian in 1981, he entered Harvard University.[20] At Harvard, O'Brien lived in Holworthy Hall during his freshman year[21] and Mather House during his three upper-class years. He concentrated in history and literature and graduated magna cum laude[22] in 1985.[23] O'Brien's senior thesis concerned the use of children as symbols in the works of William Faulkner and Flannery O'Connor.[24] During college O'Brien briefly served as the drummer in a band called "The Bad Clams", was a writer for the Harvard Lampoon humor magazine,[25] and developed a spoof of the popular video game One on One: Dr. J vs. Larry Bird in which the Boston Celtics play against a classical ballet troupe.[26] During his sophomore and junior years he served as the Lampoon's president.[27] At this time, O'Brien's future boss at NBC, Jeff Zucker, was serving as President of the school's newspaper The Harvard Crimson.[28]
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 01:40:13 PM »
If it weren't for Conan, we wouldn't have Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

That's top shelf comedy .....

for me to poop on!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 01:58:51 PM »
I've always liked Conan. Actually, I've watched 50x more of him than Lettetman or Leno over last several years.

His style sort of reminds me of Mel Brooks for some reason.

I think the comparisons between comics, hosts, actors, writers, etc. is blurred in this thread.

Allow me to simplify.

Best late night host ever: Carson. By a large margin.

Best  standup: I can't name just one. Loved Murray, Martin, Mitch and even James Gregory.

Best comedic actors: Bill Murray, Will Ferrell

Best writer/director: Mel Brooks

In order to meet Obama's diversity standard, honorable mentions to George Wallace (not the segregationist) and Dave Chappelle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »
Veering off a bit...

I showed the kids the classics "Who's on First?" Bit from Abbott and Costello. The kids laughed their asses off, then ran to show the clip to their friends. Who laughed their asses off too.

No bad words, no sex, nothing vulgar. Just simple humor, funny because it was funny. I grew up with the Stooges reruns and Looney Tunes cartoons. And I've made sure my kids watched them too. Nothing better than hearing them belly laugh at Yosemite Sam chasing Granny or all of Foghorn's feathers falling off, but it's okay because he keeps them numbered for just such an occasion.

So yes, humor and comedy is subjective, and I think it should be.  No different than music or books. People like what they like and it doesn't make you right or wrong if you and person x disagree.

Unless you don't like the Stooges. Then you are obviously a humorless moron.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 10:30:57 PM »
Unless you don't like the Stooges. Then you are obviously a humorless moron.

^^This^^  All of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 11:45:51 PM »
You're conflating writing and performing, K.

Subjective comedy aside, you're dead fucking wrong about the Simpsons.

So says you.  I don't care for lowbrow humor for the most part.  I've watched numerous episodes (often with people like you who are trying to convince me just how hilarious it all is).  It's not funny -- not in the very least -- to me.  There's nothing about it that's funny at all.  But I don't like South Park (just because you use vulgar words, that doesn't mean you're automatically funny).  I don't like American Dad or Family Guy. Spare me the lecture about how it's a comedic masterpiece.  It's crude, crass and vulgar. It caters to the lowest denominator as it pretends to be so much smarter than it truly is.  I don't like Futurama. I don't like Clevelands or whatever that is.  I don't mind laughing at people being stupid. And I can laugh at things that are crude as well.  I still will occasionally laugh at Funniest Videos.  I laughed at (even the vulgar) parts of A Million Ways.

Watched Kevin Hart's standup the other day.  Funny stuff.  I've seen a lot of good standup that doesn't translate when they try to be actors. Hart is able to do so (thus far).  He sort of reminds me of Beverly Hills Cop Eddie Murphy, though.  At some point you've got to do more than that laugh.  He didn't have much else in the tank (or he got lazy).  Hart will have to do more than be the little loud guy.  Just like that elephantippo Melissa McCarthy will have to expand beyond the loud, obnoxious fat bitch if she ever wants to be anything that matters. 

I can find humor in lots of places.  Even Gallagher in his time had some humor.

Bugs Bunny?  Funny guy.  Animaniacs?  Brilliant. Shrek (at first) and Puss had great comedic elements.

But Conan? Maybe he can write it.  But his delivery doesn't work for me at all. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »
That you think the Simpsons low-brow tells me that you've no clue about the show.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 11:45:43 PM »
That you think the Simpsons low-brow tells me that you've no clue about the show.
I'm more concerned that he may not laugh at farts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions