Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New Harper Lee

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
New Harper Lee
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
Coming in July.  A sequel to TKAM that was actually written first.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/03/living/feat-harper-lee-new-book/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: New Harper Lee
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »
Don't care. Won't be relevant.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »
Don't care. Won't be relevant.

Relevant to what?

It's a book written 50+ years ago.  Of course it won't be relevant to current events, but should be an interesting take on the book's contemporary civil rights issues.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »
Relevant to what?

It's a book written 50+ years ago.  Of course it won't be relevant to current events, but should be an interesting take on the book's contemporary civil rights issues.

What contemporary civil rights issues? 

There are none. 

If this woman had anything to say, she would have written something in the 50 years since her last book.  I'm not interested in some ancient manuscript she dug up that was written by somebody who's dead (because she didn't write the other one anyway). 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
What contemporary civil rights issues? 

There are none. 

If this woman had anything to say, she would have written something in the 50 years since her last book.  I'm not interested in some ancient manuscript she dug up that was written by somebody who's dead (because she didn't write the other one anyway).

Fuck's sake.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »
Fuck's sake.

You know she didn't write that.  Everybody knows that. 

"Civil Rights" is a big bunch of horse shit.  That movement was coopted by a bunch of fucksticks years ago and real progress has been compromised for the sake of screaming "racism" at every turn. 

Civil rights my ass. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »

"Civil Rights" is a big bunch of horse shit.  That movement was coopted by a bunch of fucksticks years ago and real progress has been compromised for the sake of screaming "racism" at every turn. 

Civil rights my ass.

You're a loon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »
You're a loon.

You misspelled "magnificent" 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
You misspelled "magnificent"

This made me chuckle...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 10:09:42 AM »

Civil rights my ass.

I'm not sure about he first part (as I have never read the book. Watched only parts of the movie. don't give a rat's ass).

But he is spot on about the second part. Young people will eat this up because they have been fed bullshit in the government schools. We learned from different books and grew up with different old people. The shit that was rewritten and fed to 80's and 90's kids is just that, SHIT.

Racism, gay acceptance, white guilt. That shit has been beat into young people's heads so much that we may never get a free thinking individual again.

So when a GREAT supposed civil rights book comes out from 50 years ago, Pavlov's dogs start drooling.

I'll pass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 10:38:18 AM »
Completely unsurprised at the coalition forming here.

I liked TKAM and I'm interested when an author I enjoy puts out more material.

This is intriguing due to Lee's reputation as a one-hit wonder.

The only "civil rights" discussion to be had was that the book will be relevant to the current events at time of writing.  Especially so since the author lived in a small Alabama town during the social upheaval.

Fuck's sake you guys are some reactionary old white men.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 10:39:50 AM »

The only "civil rights" discussion to be had was that the book will be relevant to the current events at time of writing.  Especially so since the author lived in a small Alabama town during the social upheaval.

I like gone with teh wind....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »

:getoff:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »

Except she didn't write it. 

Didn't live here when it was written (was off up north with a bunch of liberal hippies and sexual miscreants)

The original wasn't that great anyway, it just found an audience because it fit the national narrative of ignant old racist country fucks vs the noble Negro (a pattern often repeated in things like Mandingo, the help, time to kill, etc). It created and perpetuated fraudulent stereotypes.  I like the movie.  But it's horse shit. Helped paint a national perception of a south that didn't really exist (but needed to in order to spur the civil rights movement). Casting her as the author also kept the book from being eviscerated due to whatever demons (gayness, New York liberalism, communistic leanings) plagued the real author.  Kept it from being dismissed for its lack of authenticity. 

She didn't write this suspiciously "found" book

She's an actual loon, barely capable of forming a coherent thought for most of the last five years making her "statement to the press" a clear forgery

She served her purpose by pretending to have authored that book. Should fade away quietly.

A writer writes. Stephen King will tell you that.  No real writer delivers one book and never authors or even attempts to author another thing ever.  It's just not possible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 10:54:56 AM »

When did a coalition involve only two people?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
When did a coalition involve only two people?

It's embryonic, no doubt, but more will come.  The lure of creamed corn and Andy Griffith reruns always brings them in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »
I take issue with the original not being "that great." I loved it. Still love it. Now I don't know if Harper Lee wrote it or not, this is the first time I've heard otherwise...but I really don't care. I just hope whoever wrote TKAM also wrote this "found" book.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
I take issue with the original not being "that great." I loved it. Still love it. Now I don't know if Harper Lee wrote it or not, this is the first time I've heard otherwise...but I really don't care. I just hope whoever wrote TKAM also wrote this "found" book.

It was a difficult read IMO.  I enjoyed the movie but didn't much care for the book at all. 

She didn't write it. 

This covers my thoughts on the topic... Wayne Flynt's mysteriously discovered "letter" from 1959 notwithstanding:

Truman Capote is the author of To Kill A Mockingbird; Harper Lee did the typing. This relationship goes back to grade school when Lee's father, a conventionally racist Alabama state legislator and newspaper owner, gave Lee a typewriter.

Capote was the author in exactly the same sense as a Raphael or Michelangelo masterpiece is still that even if an apprentice finished it.

To Kill A Mockingbird and In Cold Blood came in a unique period in American history, and in that of Capote.

Capote was the only person in human history who was on personal terms with everyone in the New York publishing business. He understood these people like Robin Williams inhabits people.

One day Capote asks himself, if the sky opened and the perfect manuscript ( from the point of view of the people who dominated publishing) came out of the clouds, what would it look like. To Kill A Mockingbird is the result.

When Capote was a child in Alabama, he had the same mannerisms as an adult. Which means that every day in school someone wanted to stomp him. Harper Lee could slug better than a boy and became his protector. So the real truth is 2 gay kids trying to get by in the 1930s Deep South. Nobody wanted to hear about this in the 1960s. There was a Civil Rights movement, so Lee's father is morphed into a New York fantasy of a fearless defender of Blacks. If this were remotely true he would have lost his newspaper and job as state legislator overnight. He did in fact once object to some White Trash disturbing the peace in Klan uniforms, but so did any law and order type.

Capote was making so many enemies by gossiping, especially when drunk, that he knew he had to hit it out of the park while time allowed.

To Kill a Mockingbird is like a designer drug or a computer generated life form. It is fake. It is a designer book. It has nothing to do with anything real that Harper Lee observed.

In 2000 the American Library Association polled its members on the best book of the 20th Century, and To Kill A Mockingbird won. Every time Americans want to sanctify some thing my skeptical side is provoked. Why the sanctimony?Why is this The Bible of the 20th Century?

President Lyndon Johnson had the US government spread copies of this book all over the world. Atticus is the US. Defender of Freedom. Every book club selected it.

A lot of people in publishing know the real story behind To Kill A Mockingbird but nobody asks questions about holy writ

Truman was gay.  So was/is Harper.  They ran in the gays circles in NY.  They were best friends and constant companions... until... Harper won the Pulitzer.  As far as I've been able to tell he never talked to her again.  She retreated to Monroeville and essentially quit talking to anybody.  And never wrote another thing in her life.  Pffftt on that.  Writers write. Always. 

People wrote the split between her and Capote off as Truman being jealous.  But it wasn't jealousy, it was her refusal to throw back the covers and expose the reality that pissed him off and broke them apart. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »
I've always found mild interest in the points Kaos has already made above but the one thing that never added up to me is why, if Capote was so jealous and angered, didn't he himself blow the cover off the whole thing?  Why allow her to get away with being a fraud and win the Pulitzer you always wanted?

The one-hit-wonder nature of Lee's career makes just as little sense but at least I can rationalize it more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 02:43:58 PM »
Except she didn't write it. 

Didn't live here when it was written (was off up north with a bunch of liberal hippies and sexual miscreants)

The original wasn't that great anyway, it just found an audience because it fit the national narrative of ignant old racist country fucks vs the noble Negro (a pattern often repeated in things like Mandingo, the help, time to kill, etc). It created and perpetuated fraudulent stereotypes.  I like the movie.  But it's horse shit. Helped paint a national perception of a south that didn't really exist (but needed to in order to spur the civil rights movement). Casting her as the author also kept the book from being eviscerated due to whatever demons (gayness, New York liberalism, communistic leanings) plagued the real author.  Kept it from being dismissed for its lack of authenticity. 

She didn't write this suspiciously "found" book

She's an actual loon, barely capable of forming a coherent thought for most of the last five years making her "statement to the press" a clear forgery

She served her purpose by pretending to have authored that book. Should fade away quietly.

A writer writes. Stephen King will tell you that.  No real writer delivers one book and never authors or even attempts to author another thing ever.  It's just not possible.
JD Salinger? Or, did Capote write his stuff too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com