Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New Harper Lee

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: New Harper Lee
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 02:47:56 PM »
I take issue with the original not being "that great." I loved it. Still love it. Now I don't know if Harper Lee wrote it or not, this is the first time I've heard otherwise...but I really don't care. I just hope whoever wrote TKAM also wrote this "found" book.
One of my fav's of all time and I really don't care who wrote it. But, it has long been rumored that she didn't write it. Capote spent his summers in Monroeville and was related. They were really close and it was supposedly a gift. Regardless, it's not like this would have been the first and only thing that she ever wrote. I may be mistaken but I believe that she was editor of the Crimson and White. That would take time out of my busy schedule, so let's just pretend she was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 02:55:03 PM »
It's embryonic, no doubt, but more will come.  The lure of creamed corn and Andy Griffith reruns always brings them in.
I don't know who you're calling an embryo. But I can tell you one thing, creamed corn and Andy Griffith won't get me. But if you set a trap with sweaty poontang and good whiskey, you can catch me every time. Every damn time, I tell you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 02:56:36 PM »
JD Salinger? Or, did Capote write his stuff too.

No.  Wrote his own. 

The success of The Catcher in the Rye led to public attention and scrutiny. Salinger became reclusive, publishing new work less frequently. He followed Catcher with a short story collection, Nine Stories (1953); a volume containing a novella and a short story, Franny and Zooey (1961); and a volume containing two novellas, Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction (1963). His last published work, a novella entitled "Hapworth 16, 1924", appeared in The New Yorker on June 19, 1965.

That's different than just dropping one book and then never even writing your fucking name on a piece of paper from that point on.  No writer would do that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
No.  Wrote his own. 

The success of The Catcher in the Rye led to public attention and scrutiny. Salinger became reclusive, publishing new work less frequently. He followed Catcher with a short story collection, Nine Stories (1953); a volume containing a novella and a short story, Franny and Zooey (1961); and a volume containing two novellas, Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction (1963). His last published work, a novella entitled "Hapworth 16, 1924", appeared in The New Yorker on June 19, 1965.

That's different than just dropping one book and then never even writing your fucking name on a piece of paper from that point on.  No writer would do that.
Yep, it is more. One more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »
I've always found mild interest in the points Kaos has already made above but the one thing that never added up to me is why, if Capote was so jealous and angered, didn't he himself blow the cover off the whole thing?  Why allow her to get away with being a fraud and win the Pulitzer you always wanted?

The one-hit-wonder nature of Lee's career makes just as little sense but at least I can rationalize it more.

If he spoke up, it would have ruined to book. And the book was his creation. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »

Margaret Mitchell begs to differ.

One novel by Mitchell was published during her lifetime, the American Civil War-era novel, Gone with the Wind, for which she won the National Book Award for Most Distinguished Novel of 1936[1] and the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1937. In more recent years, a collection of Mitchell's girlhood writings and a novella she wrote as a teenager, Lost Laysen, have been published. A collection of articles written by Mitchell for The Atlanta Journal was republished in book form.

Some people have only one great book in them.  One magnificent story.  Doesn't make it any less significant.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
If he spoke up, it would have ruined to book. And the book was his creation.

Meh. Maybe it would've ruined it in 1960. But sometime between then and the 25 years that passed before Capote's death a lot changed. Maybe some of you -- who are able to see things through the perspective of a gay man -- can shine some light on the thought process there but I see it being worth finding out exactly how ruined my book might become. What's the worst that happens, he's not given credit for something he wasn't given credit for already?

Surely, if he wrote the story knowing what a masterpiece it was, his own narcissism wouldn't allow him not to preserve SOME sort of verifiable evidence of it being his creation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 07:07:07 PM »
I'm not sure about he first part (as I have never read the book. Watched only parts of the movie. don't give a rat's ass).

But he is spot on about the second part. Young people will eat this up because they have been fed bullshit in the government schools. We learned from different books and grew up with different old people. The shit that was rewritten and fed to 80's and 90's kids is just that, SHIT.

Racism, gay acceptance, white guilt. That shit has been beat into young people's heads so much that we may never get a free thinking individual again.

So when a GREAT supposed civil rights book comes out from 50 years ago, Pavlov's dogs start drooling.

I'll pass.

What's sad are your views.  Your ability to free think is clouded two fold...first with caveman mentality.  Secondly, a product of 60's and 70's white southern supremacy forced down your throat from your parents and grandparents.

I agree about the pacifying society, the free loaders and general lack of self motivation to work hard.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 12:00:44 AM »
What's sad are your views.  Your ability to free think is clouded two fold...first with caveman mentality.  Secondly, a product of 60's and 70's white southern supremacy forced down your throat from your parents and grandparents.

I agree about the pacifying society, the free loaders and general lack of self motivation to work hard.

Yes because anyone who doesn't bow at the feet of all that is associated with the civil rights movement of the 60s and 70s must be a some sort of racist southerner. Whatever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 07:14:13 AM »
Yes because anyone who doesn't bow at the feet of all that is associated with the civil rights movement of the 60s and 70s must be a some sort of racist southerner. Whatever.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »

Wow...really? All because you don't agree with his opinion?

You're smarter than that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

chinook

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
Wow...really? All because you don't agree with his opinion?

You're smarter than that.

Probably not but we can discuss that later.

He straps on his pimp cup.  I do as well.  It's the X.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »

Hippie.

You said strap on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 10:19:34 AM »

Damn Canadians. We don't allow pimps in the south....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 10:42:46 AM »
Margaret Mitchell begs to differ.

Some people have only one great book in them.  One magnificent story.  Doesn't make it any less significant.
Ayn Rand.  Agree with Kaos that writer's write.
I just wish that Rand had quit writing after "Atlas Shrugged."     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions