Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Vet put to sleep

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Vet put to sleep
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:21:08 AM »
Maybe you remember the video one of the local pigs put up of a violent cop killing a while back, captured by the dashboard cam. A 22 year old cop stops a Vietnam vet for speeding, then the guy starts dancing around, saying shoot me, etc.

Well, he gone. Georgia laid him to rest.

The video is powerful in many ways to me. First, it was funny to me when the old guy starts dancing around, like: "Ha Ha, that guys crazy!"

Then, it all of the sudden gets really crazy as the guy goes to his truck to load his rifle. This is when the cop should have either started shooting or got the hell out of dodge. He was trying his best to not shoot the old fellow, it's obvious. But it cost him his life. Vet goes full jungle warfare mode on camera.

Worst part is that a 22 year old cop lost his life. Second worst is that 66 yr old Vietnam vet shot him. Even thought the guy had PTSD, he knew what he was doing was wrong and this story has ended.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/us-war-vet-with-ptsd-executed-for-cop-murder/ar-AA890km?ocid=DELLDHP

US war vet with PTSD executed for cop murder

File picture shows officers with the Georgia Department of Corrections are seen at the entrance to the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson, Georgia   © Provided by AFP File picture shows officers with the Georgia Department of Corrections are seen at the entrance to the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson, Georgia   

A Vietnam war vet with post-traumatic stress disorder was executed Tuesday in the southern state of Georgia for murdering a police officer, the country's first death row inmate killed this year.

Andrew Howard Brannan, 66, was declared dead by lethal injection at 8:33 pm (0133 GMT Wednesday) at an execution chamber in Jackson, Georgia, prison spokeswoman Susan Megahee told AFP.

Brannan, who fought in the Vietnam War, was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and was convicted in January 2000 for the murder of 22-year-old police officer Kyle Dinkheller.

This undated prison photo provided by the Georgia Department of Corrections shows convicted murderer Andrew Brannan.   © Georgia Department of Corrections/AP Photo This undated prison photo provided by the Georgia Department of Corrections shows convicted murderer Andrew Brannan.   

Georgia's State Board of Pardons and Paroles had considered clemency Monday, but denied a stay of execution and said Brannan was guilty of "malice murder."

A dashboard police camera recorded Dinkheller's death on January 12, 1998, after the officer stopped Brannan for speeding.

The video shows Brannan dancing and yelling insults at the officer before taunting the officer to kill him, according to court documents.

Brannan then reached into his car and pulled out a gun, shooting the officer nine times, including once at close range.

The Georgia Supreme Court reinstated Brannan's death sentence in 2008 after a lower court judge struck it down. Last June, the US Supreme Court rejected his appeal.

The top US court rejected a last-ditch appeal Tuesday evening.

Brannan's lawyers argued he was a courageous soldier who volunteered to fight for his country and did not deserve to be killed.

"Andrew Brannan was decorated for heroic combat service," said attorney Brian Kammer.

"Brannan suffered severe, debilitating mental illness as a result of his combat experiences whose symptoms continued to manifest up to the time of the crime," Kammer wrote in a final appeal.

The lawyer called for a "categorical exemption" from capital punishment for veterans such as Brannan and argued the execution was unconstitutional.

"A categorical exclusion is warranted because combat veterans with PTSD are meaningfully distinguishable from other capital offenders," he said.

Brannan's lawyers had not denied that he killed Dinkheller, but argued for clemency based on his mental illness.

"There was a direct connection between his service in Vietnam and the violence that he was exposed to there and the ultimate events that occurred here," defense lawyer Joe Loveland said.

In 2014, the number of executions in the United States fell to its lowest in 20 years, with a total of 35 inmates executed across the country, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

A total of 29 states plus the US capital Washington have either abolished the death penalty or no longer use it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Vet put to sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »
I'd like the view from the men in blue. 

Not to sound harsh but seems to me the deputy gave him way to much warning and leniency.  Seems like he should have slapped him in handcuffs when he charged at him.

Terrible shame the deputy lost his life, and folks wonder why incidents like Michael Brown happen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »
BTW ...PTSD or not they should have fried that guy!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:47:49 AM »

Not to sound harsh but seems to me the deputy gave him way to much warning and leniency.  Seems like he should have slapped him in handcuffs when he charged at him.

Terrible shame the deputy lost his life, and folks wonder why incidents like Michael Brown happen.
I would say he should have shot him when he charged him. Way too much leniency, fosho. But, putting myself in that position at 22, I'm sure the officer was thinking that it would be like shooting his dad or someone in his family. Maybe the guy had a Vietnam sticker on his back glass, who knows?

Regardless, it's a terrible way for the kid to have to go. Just out doing his job one minute and then gone the next.

And this guy fully intended to kill him. No question about that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »
BTW ...PTSD or not they should have fried that guy!

Correct. Plenty of folks in this world who suffer from one mental disorder or another. Plenty of options by which one can receive assistance for coping with disorder. Plenty of people who do so.

Once you've proven you can no longer function in society, society should no longer have to function with you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
As Chris Kyle's brother has stated, PTSD is now the newest excuse for any bad behavoir...and thats what it is - a fucking excuse. May this MFer rot in hell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »
Well that's a hell of a video to get the day going.  Not sure what I was expecting after reading the article. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
Well that's a hell of a video to get the day going.  Not sure what I was expecting after reading the article.
Yeah no shit
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »
There's long since been blatant abuse of our vets by the police in this country.  The vetism must stop.  I say all vets should protest, march and burn down a few stores.  But make sure and steal everything first.  Maybe then the police will understand that vetism has no place in society.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 11:47:43 AM »

That is one of the first videos they play in the LE academy.  I don't like to second guess deputies and officers, because until you are in a situation with a hostile subject, you can't say what you'd do.  There is literally no time to think in some situations.  Shit happens fast, just like this. 

With that said, this shit isn't for everyone.  That's exactly how not to handle a situation.  He should have gained control over that guy, with whatever non lethal force necessary when the suspect walked back to the officer.  That suspect should have NEVER been allowed to walk back to his truck nor reach into his truck to pull that weapon out.  But when he did grab the gun and made a move to come out of the vehicle, he should have been shot at center mass until the threat was neutralized.  Not shot in the leg, not shot in the arm.  Shot in the chest multiple times.  And because that officer couldn't make that decision, it cost him his life. 

That is a tough video to watch, and there are hundreds more just like it.  They just aren't always published for the media to view. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 11:54:34 AM »
That is one of the first videos they play in the LE academy.  I don't like to second guess deputies and officers, because until you are in a situation with a hostile subject, you can't say what you'd do
This is the thing that we have to realize. Although it's easy to sit back and say, "I wudda", nope. No way to know. I certainly don't know what would've been going through my mind.

I can only say that "I think" I would have unloaded either when he charged or when he started loading his rifle. Or, I would've hopped in the lice mobile and spun dirt as fast as she would go.

Fear makes some people more volatile and dangerous than anger or meanness sometimes. I'm a dangerous man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
There's long since been blatant abuse of our vets by the police in this country.  The vetism must stop.  I say all vets should protest, march and burn down a few stores.  But make sure and steal everything first.  Maybe then the police will understand that vetism has no place in society.

We do, its just in other countries is so much more fun.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Token

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 12:14:48 PM »
Something else I think a lot of people (LEO and non LEO) don't understand is, loud repeated verbal commands aren't meant to repeat 100 times.  The officer just keeps yelling "Sir get back" and "put the gun down".  Over and over.  Until he is killed.  The vet was posturing, when he realized the officer wasn't going to do anything, he knew he could do whatever he wanted.  If he is told once to get back, and then gets his ass folded up like a pretzel and put in handcuffs when he doesn't comply, they are both still alive today. 

There is a fantastic book called "on killing" written by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.  I recommend it to anyone who is curious about this topic.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
That is one of the first videos they play in the LE academy.  I don't like to second guess deputies and officers, because until you are in a situation with a hostile subject, you can't say what you'd do.  There is literally no time to think in some situations.  Shit happens fast, just like this. 

With that said, this shit isn't for everyone.  That's exactly how not to handle a situation.  He should have gained control over that guy, with whatever non lethal force necessary when the suspect walked back to the officer.  That suspect should have NEVER been allowed to walk back to his truck nor reach into his truck to pull that weapon out.  But when he did grab the gun and made a move to come out of the vehicle, he should have been shot at center mass until the threat was neutralized.  Not shot in the leg, not shot in the arm.  Shot in the chest multiple times.  And because that officer couldn't make that decision, it cost him his life. 

That is a tough video to watch, and there are hundreds more just like it.  They just aren't always published for the media to view.

I agree with this, but since it was not handled well, I have no problem saying this dude was crazy as hell. PTSD accompanied by bipolar disorder. No way this guy should fry. Life without parole. If we fry him, then anyone who commits a murder with a messed up head should fry. (not that most of them are sane anyway) This guy didn't come out afterward and claim crazy, hell he showed crazy from the beginning.

Don't get me wrong. I won't miss him or fight for him, but we do have standards set already.

If we throw those standards out, then I'm fine with that too as long as we clean house of all of them. We can't pick and choose just because the victim was LE.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
I agree with this, but since it was not handled well, I have no problem saying this dude was crazy as hell. PTSD accompanied by bipolar disorder. No way this guy should fry. Life without parole. If we fry him, then anyone who commits a murder with a messed up head should fry. (not that most of them are sane anyway) This guy didn't come out afterward and claim crazy, hell he showed crazy from the beginning.

Don't get me wrong. I won't miss him or fight for him, but we do have standards set already.

If we throw those standards out, then I'm fine with that too as long as we clean house of all of them. We can't pick and choose just because the victim was LE.
I am really surprised that you take this stance. I won't argue it. It's your right.

I'll just say this guy got what he asked for, in a sense anyway. He told the cop to shoot him. Yes, he was as crazy as bat shit. Yes, he was a Vietnam Vet and I have a lot of respect for them. At the same time, if I were on a jury, this is as premeditated of a murder as can be, imo. Regardless of his imbalances, that mofo knew it wasn't right to shoot a cop. Reload and shoot a cop.

Executions and abortion are delicate and complicated subjects. And I can find myself questioning circumstances with either. In this instance, I don't have any qualms with the verdict. None.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »
I am really surprised that you take this stance. I won't argue it. It's your right.

I'll just say this guy got what he asked for, in a sense anyway. He told the cop to shoot him. Yes, he was as crazy as bat shit. Yes, he was a Vietnam Vet and I have a lot of respect for them. At the same time, if I were on a jury, this is as premeditated of a murder as can be, imo. Regardless of his imbalances, that mofo knew it wasn't right to shoot a cop. Reload and shoot a cop.

Executions and abortion are delicate and complicated subjects. And I can find myself questioning circumstances with either. In this instance, I don't have any qualms with the verdict. None.

Oh, I have no problem frying a bastage. And I would have no problem with this if he claimed to have JUST PTSD. But this guy was also bipolar. he was messed up from the get-go. And like I said, if you do him, hurry up and get the rest of the crazies too.

We have precedent in place for just this type of thing. If a person is crazy, you don't fry them (not that I agree with it). And dude is obviously batshit crazy.

When the law becomes arbitrary and random, there will be no reason to follow any law. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
Oh, I have no problem frying a bastage. And I would have no problem with this if he claimed to have JUST PTSD. But this guy was also bipolar. he was messed up from the get-go. And like I said, if you do him, hurry up and get the rest of the crazies too.

We have precedent in place for just this type of thing. If a person is crazy, you don't fry them (not that I agree with it). And dude is obviously batshit crazy.

When the law becomes arbitrary and random, there will be no reason to follow any law.
Are you o.k. with serial killers getting the death penalty? I would assume not, right? Since they are obviously bat shit crazy.

In my view, most anyone who kills someone in a situation other than their life being in danger, is some degree of crazy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 01:52:25 PM »
Are you o.k. with serial killers getting the death penalty? I would assume not, right? Since they are obviously bat shit crazy.

In my view, most anyone who kills someone in a situation other than their life being in danger, is some degree of crazy.
I'm fine with killing the serial killers as they are sociopaths and there is no medication to cure that.

Bipolar and PTSD are a bit different than just not having a conscience.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 02:01:42 PM »
Just a question where are you getting the bipolar thing from, I 'm not seeing that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
Just a question where are you getting the bipolar thing from, I 'm not seeing that?

It was in a lot of other articles. Says he was off of his meds at the time.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-vet-ptsd-first-person-be-executed-2015-n284946
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions