Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Southern Miss game

Re: Southern Miss game
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
Well, we are going to be staying in Opelika Friday night, so we will have an opportunity to try a couple of different places at least before we had back to North Alabama Saturday evening.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »
Well, we are going to be staying in Opelika Friday night, so we will have an opportunity to try a couple of different places at least before we had back to North Alabama Saturday evening.

Niffer's is on Opelika Road, so that may be your best bet on Friday night so you don't have to fight the traffic downtown.  Expect a wait, though.

Does Niffer's still do $1 beer all the time?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »
Niffer's is on Opelika Road, so that may be your best bet on Friday night so you don't have to fight the traffic downtown.  Expect a wait, though.

Does Niffer's still do $1 beer all the time?
That is probably what we will do, depending on what time we get in town Friday night. We have to wait until Monica gets off work. She could not take off because somebody there are only two in her department and the other person had already taken off that day. So, we will probably not get to our 4 star hotel, the Econo Lodge, until around 9 pm Friday night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »
Ah, but Guthrie's -- in the current format -- originated in Auburn and therefore can be considered an Auburn original.  The first Guthrie's chicken finger restaurant opened in AU in 1982.  So eating there would be unique.  It would be like going to the very first McDonalds or the very first Arby's.  Yes, the food would be familiar, but the location would at least be historic.

Nobody answered the Byron's question, BTW.  Chain or local? 

A little info on Guthries for those of you who are familiar

Chris Guthrie opend the first Guthries not located in Haleyville (where they are from) in AU in 1982. He then moved on a few years later to open the one in Athens. His brother Hud got to AU around 88. And then Joe around 90? I think the little sister finally made it ther in the early 90s. The original still stands today where it always has, but it's now owned by a friend of the Guthries kids.  I think the one out by Kroger is owned by Joe and the drive thru out by Wal-Mart is owned by Hud. I think Hud opened the one in tuscaloser also.

Sadly, about a year or 2 ago, Chris Guthrie was driving back to Athens from Tallasee, where they had just opend a new Guthries, and had a car accident and was killed.

They now franchise the place all over. I have eaten at many of the franchise places and still have a hard time passing any of them up.

For any of you who are wondering, I know the recipe for the secret sauce. But I only know how to mix it up 5 gallons at a time.

So Guthries is a chain, But how hard is it to fry the fingers the same way everywhere?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:29:02 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 01:31:07 PM »
Excuse the fuck out of me.  I was going off of my hazy memory after reading the history on the back of a menu 3 or 4 years ago.  I got it pretty damn close.

This ain't horseshoes or performing the superman feat on the back of your drunk passed out girlfriend. Get it right. :rofl:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »
Any of you degenerates going to be sitting close to section 108? My gimpy ass my need to be carried up there if the elevator line is too long.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »
Any of you degenerates going to be sitting close to section 108? My gimpy ass my need to be carried up there if the elevator line is too long.

Nah we are up in 53
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »

Chris Guthrie opend the first Guthries not located in Haleyville (where they are from) in AU in 1982. He then moved on a few years later to open the one in Athens. His brother Hud got to AU around 88. And then Joe around 90? I think the little sister finally made it ther in the early 90s. The original still stands today where it always has, but it's now owned by a friend of the Guthries kids.  I think the one out by Kroger is owned by Joe and the drive thru out by Wal-Mart is owned by Hud. I think Hud opened the one in tuscaloser also.

Sadly, about a year or 2 ago, Chris Guthrie was driving back to Athens from Tallasee, where they had just opend a new Guthries, and had a car accident and was killed.

They now franchise the place all over. I have eaten at many of the franchise places and still have a hard time passing any of them up.

For any of you who are wondering, I know the recipe for the secret sauce. But I only know how to mix it up 5 gallons at a time.

So Guthries is a chain, But how hard is it to fry the fingers the same way everywhere?
I need the recipe for the sauce.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »

Hmmpf...As if I'd be sitting with commoners.  And besides, Mrs. TT likes to have her back rubbed while the game is going on. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Ogre

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »

You should start a website.  Kinda like a Wikipedia, but for the origins of restaurants.  You've got that shit down-pat!

Tell me more about Jim & Nick's.  That's some good shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, 02:22:43 PM »
I need the recipe for the sauce.
Is it available via pm, or are you going to post it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »
Is it available via pm, or are you going to post it?
Well were waiting.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
Hmmpf...As if I'd be sitting with commoners.  And besides, Mrs. TT likes to have her back rubbed while the game is going on. 
Wow, I never knew you sat with Titan's wife...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
Wow, I never knew you sat with Titan's wife...
He said Mrs. - that may be code for some other kiss-up dude, and not the guy's wife - and he says they give each other back rubs
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 03:12:43 PM »
Where will you be setting so I can come by and pay homage to your Excellency. :bow:

Sidenote....I just ordered 3 tickets for the Miss. State game. So, Starkvegas here I come. My dad just took the job as the pastor of a church 20 minutes away from Starkville and he is moving there Tuesday. Tthe job comes with a 4 bedroom parsonage, so we are just going to crash at his place for the weekend. He had to make good and go over the deacon's house this past weekend and watch the Miss. St. game with him. :rofl:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »
Where will you be setting so I can come by and pay homage to your Excellency. :bow:

Sidenote....I just ordered 3 tickets for the Miss. State game. So, Starkvegas here I come. My dad just took the job as the pastor of a church 20 minutes away from Starkville and he is moving there Tuesday. Tthe job comes with a 4 bedroom parsonage, so we are just going to crash at his place for the weekend. He had to make good and go over the deacon's house this past weekend and watch the Miss. St. game with him. :rofl:

What great timing for you.  It's almost a divine intervention, if you think about it...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »
What great timing for you.  It's almost a divine intervention, if you think about it...
Yeah, for real. Thing is, as I was debating getting the tickets or not because I did not know if I wanted to make that drive there and back in a day, especially being a night game. Monica reminded me dad was going to be living 20 minutes away then, so why not stay at his place, so it was actually a "duh" moment on my part.

My son is playing football this year, but he plays every Saturday and this was going to be the only chance he had of going to a game. He is going to have to miss one of his games which was something I frown upon , but he was begging me to take him to his first AU football game this year. I just wish it would have been at Auburn. He has been on campus before when we went to some baseball games last year, so at least his first AU experience is not an away game. Maybe next year I can get him to a home game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Yes!!!!

They just asked my wife to come down to B'ham tomorrow to get a head start on the training so that she can have all of next week basically to perfect what she learned. Since they asked her to do that on such short notice, she only has to work the first half of the day tomorrow, but they are going to pay her for the whole day. So, we are going to be getting into Auburn probably around 4 pm, thus giving us the whole evening to pitter patter around. Heck, we might even get our freak on at the Econo Lodge.  :gig:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 05:42:16 PM »
I'll be sitting in Section 109 Row 3 Seat 10....I'll help a brother out if need be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »
I'll be sitting in Section 109 Row 3 Seat 10....I'll help a brother out if need be.
You da' man. We are are at the top of 108 in row 42 or something like that. Dad has the tickets on him, so I don't know for sure. Have to give a holler since we will be so close. I'll be the ugliest, whitest, most pitiful looking guy in 108.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions