Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Southern Miss game

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Southern Miss game
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »
Oh, I'm well aware that it's a chain.  It started in Athens, Georgia.  For the longest time it was found only in college towns (Tuscaloosa, Auburn, etc.) and it wasn't until recently that they started opening up restuarants in every two-bit community with a red light and a General Store.  That doesn't diminsh the fact that the MM in Auburn is damn good food - and I would recommend anyone who has never eaten there to give it a whirl.

As far as originality, there isn't much around Auburn anymore.  Look at College Street's restaurants:  Cheeburger Cheeburger (chain), Jimmy John's (chain), Mellow Mushroom (chain), Buffalo's (chain) and so on.  The only truly local places left are Brand X (may be a chain, not sure) and The Olde Auburn Ale House.  

Point well made. 

I don't like it very much, but is Byron's a chain?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 10:21:17 AM »
You know, it wouldn't hurt the rest of you to salute me now and then.  That's what being an officer is all about. 

"First of all, don't make fun of the weather here, and don't say the weather is the same all the time here. Because it's not. In fact, it's two degrees colder today than yesterday."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 10:22:05 AM »
Ok, I'll give you that.  How about O'Charley's?  I actually used to like an O'Charley's or a TGIFriday's or Bennigan's from time to time.  They are a giant step above that unholy trifecta you mentioned.   

And thank you for calling me sir.  You know, it wouldn't hurt the rest of you to salute me now and then.  That's what being an officer is all about. 

Wow.  This is quite a change.  Normally, these roles are reversed.  I think Koas is mellowing in his old age now that he has an offspring in college. 

I've had good O'Charley's and bad O'Charley's.   The stores they've opened recently (Prattville, for instance) are no different than AppleChilidays.  Same crap service, same tasteless food.

Haven't been around a Bennigan's or a TGIF in a while.  I tend to gravitate toward off-the path places if at all possible.  And I've recently found myself going frou-frou.   Found a sandwich and salad type place in Fairhope.  And I seek out quality sushi as often as possible.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 10:23:50 AM »
 And I've recently found myself going frou-frou.   Found a sandwich and salad type place in Fairhope.  And I seek out quality sushi as often as possible.  

You and Steve should ride double on his moped to the quilting club he likes to go to on the coast.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 10:50:07 AM »

You and Steve should ride double on his moped to the quilting club he likes to go to on the coast.

It's a gossip parlor...jeez.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »
It's a gossip parlor...jeez.

Really, what a dumbass.  Ms. Lucille's, thank you very much. 

Big fan of the Ruby Tuesdays salad bar.  As for sushi, Kyoto's stays packed.  Good place for the rolled-up raw things.  Not a great selection of beer, though.  Sapporo, Kirin Ichiban and a few domestics. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »
What happened to Mama G's and Guthries?

Mellow mushroom was NOT started in Athens.  :bs:

I remember going to one of the first hole-in-the -wall MM on Roswell Road in ATLANTA. Run by a bunch of hippies. Service slow, beer cold, pizza great.

The first MM outside of Atlanta was, however, in Athens.

Now it's pretty much a chain with good pizza.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 12:36:57 PM »
What happened to Mama G's and Guthries?

Guthries is most definitely a chain.  Good, but a chain.

Mama G's is an original, I believe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »
Guthries is most definitely a chain.  Good, but a chain.

Mama G's is an original, I believe.

Ah, but Guthrie's -- in the current format -- originated in Auburn and therefore can be considered an Auburn original.  The first Guthrie's chicken finger restaurant opened in AU in 1982.  So eating there would be unique.  It would be like going to the very first McDonalds or the very first Arby's.  Yes, the food would be familiar, but the location would at least be historic.

Nobody answered the Byron's question, BTW.  Chain or local? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »
Mellow mushroom was NOT started in Athens.  :bs:

I remember going to one of the first hole-in-the -wall MM on Roswell Road in ATLANTA. Run by a bunch of hippies. Service slow, beer cold, pizza great.

The first MM outside of Atlanta was, however, in Athens.

Now it's pretty much a chain with good pizza.

Excuse the fuck out of me.  I was going off of my hazy memory after reading the history on the back of a menu 3 or 4 years ago.  I got it pretty damn close.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 03:04:25 PM »
Ah, but Guthrie's -- in the current format -- originated in Auburn and therefore can be considered an Auburn original.  The first Guthrie's chicken finger restaurant opened in AU in 1982.  So eating there would be unique.  It would be like going to the very first McDonalds or the very first Arby's.  Yes, the food would be familiar, but the location would at least be historic.

Nobody answered the Byron's question, BTW.  Chain or local? 

Byrons's is not a chain.  Mike and Ed's also has good BBQ and it is not a chain
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »
Byrons's is not a chain.  Mike and Ed's also has good BBQ and it is not a chain

I believe Mike and Ed's is a chain actually.  At least I'm pretty sure I've seen one in Tuscaloosa before in my travels.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 05:51:35 PM »
I believe Mike and Ed's is a chain actually.  At least I'm pretty sure I've seen one in Tuscaloosa before in my travels.

There is a Mike and Ed's in Tuscaloosa.  Used to be downtown, but is now in the old Horney BBQ location.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 07:56:02 PM »
Wow. The Mellow Mushroom has started a good discussion about food. When it comes to food, there is no such thing as a bad thread.

I actually had not even heard of the Mellow Mushroom until Monica brought it up. A couple of her friends graduated from Auburn a few years ago and gave her the recommendation. I had no idea it was a chain until you guys mentioned it. I looked on their website and there is apparently there is one opening in Huntsville soon. Still, I might try it for the first time while in Auburn because I am always on the look out for some good pizza that is not a clone of Pizza Hutt or Domino's. I used to travel to the New England area and go over to Boston's Italian district and get the most awesome pizza, spaghetti, and calzones. That kind of spoiled me when it comes to pizza, so now I usually make my own pizza at home instead of getting it from those imitation pizza chains.

The one thing I noticed last time I was on campus, back during baseball season, was that there were a lot more chains then there used to be. Like Kaos recommended, I would prefer to try a local only flavor, but how many of those still exist? I would actually prefer some good BBQ with it being a game day, if I can talk Monica into going for that also.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:01:00 PM by Ranger12 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AlicevilleEagle

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »
Like Kaos recommended, I would prefer to try a local only flavor, but how many of those still exist?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

theburn!

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
This thread has forced me to lurk from the shadows.....

What about Magnolia's, Amsterdam's, and NIFFERS!!!! True it might take you an hour and a half to get to Niffers in that nasty gameday traffic, but it might be worth it

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 10:05:29 PM »
This thread has forced me to lurk from the shadows.....

What about Magnolia's, Amsterdam's, and NIFFERS!!!! True it might take you an hour and a half to get to Niffers in that nasty gameday traffic, but it might be worth it

ah Niffers I usually always hit that Friday night. Can't go wrong, and not any busier than MM

mmmmmmmmmmm corn nuggets
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 10:48:35 PM »
Brick Oven is similar to Mellow Mushroom but not a chain.

Right? It's still there too, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 10:52:58 PM »
Brick Oven is similar to Mellow Mushroom but not a chain.

Right? It's still there too, right?
If you are talking about this place, it looks like it is still there.
http://www.brickovenonline.com/

Never heard of Niffers. What kind of food?

Edit In: I found the website for Niffers Place. They sure offer a lot different things on their menu that looks good. I will have to keep that place in mind for sure.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:57:42 PM by Ranger12 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 10:58:53 PM »
If you are talking about this place, it looks like it is still there.
http://www.brickovenonline.com/

Never heard of Niffers. What kind of food?

Edit In: I found the website for Niffers Place. They sure offer a lot different things on their menu that looks good. I will have to keep that place in mind for sure.
That's the one. And indeed it has not franchised out according to the site.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions