Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

TigersX Tips on Saving Money - Food Edition

TigersX Tips on Saving Money - Food Edition
« on: January 09, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »
I need to save a little more money each month, and I'd like to start with food.

Any tips on saving money at the grocery while still being somewhat healthy?

We're averaging $175/week at the grocery with a monthly $250 trip to Costco.  Factor in going out to eat once a week, and we're well over $1000 a month in grocery bills.  Then there's diapers, toiletries, and other necessities that pop up all the time.

I'd like to get this down to $750.  Hopefully even lower.  I'm not sure Costco is saving me that much money.  I know when I go there, I buy a few things that are crazy cheap (2.99/lb chicken breasts, $25 spiral ham, $1.99/lb turkey breast) but I always grab a $15 block of Manchego or some $12 bottle of wine, which I think ends up ruining the savings I got from the meat. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: TigersX Tips on Saving Money - Food Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
Buy generic and invest the difference in term insurance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 12:41:16 PM »
I think you could save some money if you quit eating....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »

There is that.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »
I need to save a little more money each month, and I'd like to start with food.

Any tips on saving money at the grocery while still being somewhat healthy?

We're averaging $175/week at the grocery with a monthly $250 trip to Costco.  Factor in going out to eat once a week, and we're well over $1000 a month in grocery bills.  Then there's diapers, toiletries, and other necessities that pop up all the time.

I'd like to get this down to $750.  Hopefully even lower.  I'm not sure Costco is saving me that much money.  I know when I go there, I buy a few things that are crazy cheap (2.99/lb chicken breasts, $25 spiral ham, $1.99/lb turkey breast) but I always grab a $15 block of Manchego or some $12 bottle of wine, which I think ends up ruining the savings I got from the meat.

Not sure if you have Aldi where you are at but their stuff is a hell of a lot cheaper....course you have to bring your own bags to put your groceries in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »

Like...thats not possible bro...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 12:53:26 PM »
I am terrible myself when I make a trip to Sam's Club alone.  Hey, peanut butter, two big ass jars for $10!  What a deal!  Now, let me get this block of cheese for $15.  Hey, there's an industrial sized box of chicken patties.  $25, but it will last me until I'm 83!

The wife is not necessarily an "extreme" couponer, but she does use them a good bit.  I am amazed sometimes when I go with her to Publix to see the subtotal before and after she gets her 20# binder of coupons out.  Honestly, between the BOGO offers and additional coupons she gets from the Sunday paper and the little insert papers they send during the week, they almost pay us to take some of their crap. 

***edit:  Also, what the truck bed shitter said.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:55:14 PM by Buzz Killington »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »
I am terrible myself when I make a trip to Sam's Club alone.  Hey, peanut butter, two big ass jars for $10!  What a deal!  Now, let me get this block of cheese for $15.  Hey, there's an industrial sized box of chicken patties.  $25, but it will last me until I'm 83!

The wife is not necessarily an "extreme" couponer, but she does use them a good bit.  I am amazed sometimes when I go with her to Publix to see the subtotal before and after she gets her 20# binder of coupons out.  Honestly, between the BOGO offers and additional coupons she gets from the Sunday paper and the little insert papers they send during the week, they almost pay us to take some of their crap. 

***edit:  Also, what the truck bed shitter said.

I'd say having the binder full in store qualifies as extreme. Prayers sent to you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
After I had my first kid with the woman to which I'm currently married, we made it a point to budgeting better. I found that one of the best savers I found re: food was to totally stop going out to eat. Sometimes, it wasn't possible but for the most part, we did it for a long while.

Fell off that wagon but she still uses the coupons. Prob spends 10 bucks in gas to save a quarter a pound on organic chicken beaks now. I don't know. I'm so rich now that we can go to KFC on a weekly basis and I rarely even miss the money, so it's kind of hard for me to relate to regular wage earners.

But food is right up there with the health ins, and that's a damn big line item on the WT corp budget.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 01:14:32 PM »
Not sure if you have Aldi where you are at but their stuff is a hell of a lot cheaper....course you have to bring your own bags to put your groceries in.

We had them in B'ham.  Not sure if there's any near Auburn.  That's a good idea though.

I was saving money shopping at Mi Pueblo in Pelham, but the Mexican market here is really small.  I plan on checking out the fisheries for shrimp and catfish and the meat market here, but the hours are really erratic.  You almost need an informant to know when to go there and find them actually open.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »

Was going to mention this. 

THS, how big is your yard if you have one?  If you have any space at all plant a 16x16 garden.  Ours is no bigger than that.  Last year we did one row of okra, one row of tomatoes/assorted peppers, one row of squash/zucchini and two rows of green beans.   By mid August we were begging the neighbors to come pick the garden b/c we had enough canned and put in the freezer.  Still eating on it and will be until somewhere around May.

If you can't do that, check around the area.  Sometimes people will let you buy directly from their gardens before they take their stuff to the farmers market and mark up the price.  The farmer markets around here are also cheaper than the grocery stores.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:33:32 PM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
Was going to mention this. 

THS, how big is your yard if you have one?  If you have any space at all plant a 16x16 garden.  Ours is no bigger than that.  Last year we did one row of okra, one row of tomatoes/assorted peppers, one row of squash/zucchini and two rows of green beans.   By mid August we were begging the neighbors to come pick the garden b/c we had enough canned and put in the freezer.  Still eating on it and will be until somewhere around May.

If you can't do that, check around the area.  Sometimes people will let you buy directly from their gardens before they take their stuff to the farmers market and mark up the price.  The farmer markets around here are also cheaper than the grocery stores.

It's funny you bring that up.  I've been wanting to plant a garden soon.  I have a huge backyard, but I also have about a dozen trees, some gigantic, that block the sun.  I may have a spot though that would work near the side of the house.  I'll watch it when we get another sunny day.

When do you start planting for the spring and summer seasons?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
It's funny you bring that up.  I've been wanting to plant a garden soon.  I have a huge backyard, but I also have about a dozen trees, some gigantic, that block the sun.  I may have a spot though that would work near the side of the house.  I'll watch it when we get another sunny day.

When do you start planting for the spring and summer seasons?

We wait until the first or second week of April.  I would like to the last week of March, but I always worry about that last freeze of the year killing everything I have planted.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 03:20:55 PM »
We wait until the first or second week of April.  I would like to the last week of March, but I always worry about that last freeze of the year killing everything I have planted.

This. We been doing ok with this, this last year. We have 4 egg layers too we bought during the summer.

Aldi is a good idea. Been in there a couple of times, well, the wife has anyway. Like Buzz, I do better off letting the wife go for groceries. She doesn't really do the coupon thing but she is pretty good about saving a buck. Publix and Win-Dixie we tend to stay away from because their sales are a joke and their prices are on the high side for a large purchase. We typically hit up Wal-Mart for all the non-perishables and Piggly Wiggly for the meats, produce, etc. 

Another thing that we try to do is plan out several days to a week of meals. That doesn't always work but this way you go in with a list and a plan. This helps keep you from the extra bullshit ending up in the buggy and gets you in and out much quicker. Every store is setup in a way to distract you. Hell going through Winn Dixie is like a damn maze. They do this shit on purpose.

One last thing, go in with cash money. Its a little harder to let that green out of your hand than it is to swipe a card.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
The Purina Diet A friend of mine has a huge Labrador Retriever. It eats a lot, and we went to the store to buy a large bag of dog food. We were in line to check out and a woman behind him asked if he had a dog.
The "what a moron!" look on my buddy's face was priceless, and I knew what it meant: he was going to toy with her. He told her that no, he was starting The Purina Diet again although he probably shouldn't -- he said he had ended up in the hospital last time, but that he'd lost 50 pounds before he awakened in intensive care with tubes coming out of most of his orifices and IVs in both arms. He told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. He said that the food is nutritionally complete so he was going to try it again.
I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with his story, particularly a big tall guy who was behind the woman.
Horrified, she asked why he ended up in the hospital -- had the Purina made him sick? He told her no; he'd been sitting in the middle of the street licking his balls and a car hit him.
The woman turned fire-engine red, and I helped the tall guy up off the floor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
 :rimshot:  Thanks, I'll be here all week
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »
Follow up based on what dj said.  On average, Publix is higher than most.  But...if you hit their BOGO deals with coupons, you can stock up big time on the non-perishable stuff normally.  That's why I suggested the storage bin/shelf.  We have two huge cabinets in teh garage full of paper goods, drinks, body wash, razors, etc.  Then, do your weekly perishable shopping at Aldi or even Wally World, because their prices are that much better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 03:35:58 PM »
I can go into Pube Licks for a pack of Juicy Fruit and come out of there $150.00 later.  But God I love that place.  There's just so much good stuff that wants to jump in my buggy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »
Follow up number deux.

Also, if you still get Christmas presents from family (especially the in-laws), instead of getting those nice black socks or that multi-colored tie every year, ask for restaurant gift cards.  At least you can save some grocery money in January and possibly February to get the year started right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »
Follow up based on what dj said.  On average, Publix is higher than most.  But...if you hit their BOGO deals with coupons, you can stock up big time on the non-perishable stuff normally.  That's why I suggested the storage bin/shelf.  We have two huge cabinets in teh garage full of paper goods, drinks, body wash, razors, etc.  Then, do your weekly perishable shopping at Aldi or even Wally World, because their prices are that much better.

Since, we live in close proximity, I must ask. Have you tried the Fresh Market place in Trussville? I haven't but am curious.

The loading up on those non-perishables is a good idea THS especially when the sales are on.

I can go into Pube Licks for a pack of Juicy Fruit and come out of there $150.00 later.  But God I love that place.  There's just so much good stuff that wants to jump in my buggy.

Publix does have some goodies. My kids are always fascinated with the live lobsters. Publix I think has the best fresh fish but again, they are proud of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions