Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

TigersX Tips on Saving Money - Food Edition

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: TigersX Tips on Saving Money - Food Edition
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
Since, we live in close proximity, I must ask. Have you tried the Fresh Market place in Trussville? I haven't but am curious.

The loading up on those non-perishables is a good idea THS especially when the sales are on.

Publix does have some goodies. My kids are always fascinated with the live lobsters. Publix I think has the best fresh fish but again, they are proud of it.

Fresh Markets are the bomb.  Love those.  Don't have one in Dothan but I've been to the one Monkeytown a bunch.  Doubt you save anything there.  A lot of specialty items.  Usually have a huge selection of the hops and barley beverages.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »
Since, we live in close proximity, I must ask. Have you tried the Fresh Market place in Trussville? I haven't but am curious.

Nope.  We talked about checking it out sometime though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »
join a farm co-op...it should save you a few pennies + many of these dudes are organic or all natural.   buy a 1/4 steer and a pig too.  make your own hams and bacon.  but if you eat a lot of bacon this will not last you long. 

start hunting.  deer, turkey and duck. perhaps a goose.   

our company has a employee garden which helps too especially for winter squash and pumpkin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
Fresh Markets are the bomb.  Love those.  Don't have one in Dothan but I've been to the one Monkeytown a bunch.  Doubt you save anything there.  A lot of specialty items.  Usually have a huge selection of the hops and barley beverages.

Sounds like a splurge store then especially if you want to get your drink on.

May have to over the weekend just to see.

I thought of two other money saving ideas. One don't take your kids with you and two, don't go on an empty stomach. I have done both. It usually doesn't turn out good for savings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »
join a farm co-op...it should save you a few pennies + many of these dudes are organic or all natural.   buy a 1/4 steer and a pig too.  make your own hams and bacon.  but if you eat a lot of bacon this will not last you long. 

our company has a employee garden which helps too especially for winter squash and pumpkin.

I hear the pot growing out your way does pretty good too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 03:59:23 PM »

Definitely worth a visit.  I've been in two and both had big meat and seafood deli sections.  I wouldn't look to save $$$ there but it'd be a great place for a change of pace and finding some things you won't normally find in regular grocery stores.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »
Oh...and pot.  Fresh Markets don't have pot.

Unless the bag boy is selling it out of his Volkswagon in the parking lot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »
It's funny you bring that up.  I've been wanting to plant a garden soon.  I have a huge backyard, but I also have about a dozen trees, some gigantic, that block the sun.  I may have a spot though that would work near the side of the house.  I'll watch it when we get another sunny day.

When do you start planting for the spring and summer seasons?

I have always felt around the 2nd week of April was a good time because that is about the time when you realize that your government has been fucking you and you are gonna need to save some money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »

I've wanted to get into hunting, but it's really expensive to get started.  I'd need a gun, hunting gear, license, deep freezer, ammunition, and whatever else is needed. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 04:12:09 PM »
Definitely worth a visit.  I've been in two and both had big meat and seafood deli sections.  I wouldn't look to save $$$ there but it'd be a great place for a change of pace and finding some things you won't normally find in regular grocery stores.
You like the big meat, don't you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

djsimp

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 04:14:44 PM »
I've wanted to get into hunting, but it's really expensive to get started.  I'd need a gun, hunting gear, license, deep freezer, ammunition, and whatever else is needed.

There are a lot of processors in your area that also sell deer and pork meat especially in the Eufaula/Abbeville/Dothan area.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 04:17:38 PM »
There are a lot of processors in your area that also sell deer and pork meat especially in the Eufaula/Abbeville/Dothan area.

He ain't from around here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »
Not really. Just survival skills. I make my own bow and arrows but I mostly hunt deer with a buck knife. It's not easy, mind you. Belly crawling through swamps and thickets, shirtless and in a loincloth but it keeps it real.

You may also want to make a slingshot and go to a public park. You can pick off a plethora of squirrels and pigeons pretty easy while the old ladies and kids are feeding them. I also like to wait until they congregate all together and jump out of the bushes with a cast net and get a bunch of them at once.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

djsimp

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »
He ain't from around here.

He could go to Lake Eufaula and do some gator hunting on the dl just as long he doesn't carry his dog, unless of course THS doesn't like his dog.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »

Common misconception.

Alls you really need is an old beater with no headlights or tags, some rope, a big knife and access to somebody else's freezer.  Wait until midnight, then cruise the country roads, waiting for a big trophy to come running across the road.  Bam.  Dinner for a month.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 05:57:32 PM »
Dude, Townhall, you live in Auburn now right? 

Go to the vet school.  They sell meat for dirt cheap, due to their reseach/programs for the vet students and what not.  Towards the end of my tenure at Auburn they sold their items almost free.  We would occasionally eat like kings. 

http://www.auburnvillager.com/news/article_7b18cb01-b800-5132-af39-553db1a4b637.html

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/ansc/facilities/meats/MeatLabHome.php

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ag.auburn.edu%2Fansc%2Ffacilities%2Fmeats%2Fdocuments%2FPricingforRetail.pdf&ei=QlqwVP2cJMylgwSn8IKQDw&usg=AFQjCNFzA9xaAznQG3uJ1MJTO0IEWVGhrA&sig2=95SNOinTCjj94R55nBbIJg&bvm=bv.83339334,d.eXY&cad=rja

You are welcome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 06:03:12 PM »
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunny-Meadow-Extra-Large-Grade-A-Eggs-18-count/22115890

The Auburn Meat Lab has 30 Eggs for $3.76.

Wal-Mart has 18 Eggs for $3.18.

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10253922&whse=BD_823&topnav=national&cat=98673&hierPath=96673*96696*96701*98673*&lang=en-US

Auburn Meat Lab, $3.89 per pound = $9.72 for a 10 pack. 

Math.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:06:27 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »
Stupid suggestion. But.

If you find the right kind of places? It's cheaper to eat out every night than buy damn groceries.

Milk, bread, sandwich meat, chips.  Everything else comes from a restaurant.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 06:22:25 PM »
Stupid suggestion. But.

If you find the right kind of places? It's cheaper to eat out every night than buy damn groceries.

Milk, bread, sandwich meat, chips.  Everything else comes from a restaurant.

Oh agreed.  Especially in Auburn as a student.  I could eat three meals a day every day for less than $10 easily if I used the coupons and specials and free food events that are offered.  But it's that ole health thing in my 30-year-old old man body that I have to consider as well.  Plus the wife and kid.  I'm sure they want to eat something other than a soybean-beef patty on plain white bread with a bag of Lays. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 06:26:01 PM »
Dude, Townhall, you live in Auburn now right? 

Go to the vet school.  They sell meat for dirt cheap, due to their reseach/programs for the vet students and what not.  Towards the end of my tenure at Auburn they sold their items almost free.  We would occasionally eat like kings. 

http://www.auburnvillager.com/news/article_7b18cb01-b800-5132-af39-553db1a4b637.html

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/ansc/facilities/meats/MeatLabHome.php

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ag.auburn.edu%2Fansc%2Ffacilities%2Fmeats%2Fdocuments%2FPricingforRetail.pdf&ei=QlqwVP2cJMylgwSn8IKQDw&usg=AFQjCNFzA9xaAznQG3uJ1MJTO0IEWVGhrA&sig2=95SNOinTCjj94R55nBbIJg&bvm=bv.83339334,d.eXY&cad=rja

You are welcome.

Wow.  Didn't realize the hours were that consistent.  I think when I was an undergrad here, it was more of a "Open whenever they decide to open" kind of thing. 

Definitely going there on Monday.  Also, the fish market is open tomorrow morning.  I'll be going there as well. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions