No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: First Rankings - Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
Well, colored me surprised. I actually agree with the rankings. I guess the Ducks will be pulling for AU this weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »
Wow. They used logic instead of whatever bullshit ESPN uses. That is hopeful.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
They got it right! Karle & Raita are going to be crushed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »
They got it right! Karle & Raita are going to be crushed.

They are en-route to Nickys house now to hug it out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
Shocker.  I agree with them though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:32:28 PM »
I'm mostly happy with the Notre Dame ranking.

Not that I necessarily agree with it.  I think Notre Dame is pretty good this year and going into Florida State and nearly winning warrants a pretty high ranking.

But it's nice to know they're squirming. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »
It looks like they have tried to pick the four best teams without regard to anything else. I hope they keep this same rationale.

Little weird that Oregon is still that high but whatever. I hate the turds but I think they'd kill Oregon. In fact I think tcu would too. And I don't think ole miss is what they were 4 weeks ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:58:59 PM »

Little weird that Oregon is still that high but whatever. I hate the turds but I think they'd kill Oregon. In fact I think tcu would too. And I don't think ole miss is what they were 4 weeks ago.

Oregon beat Michigan State though and that gives them a lot of credit. Michigan State is a pretty good team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
Oregon beat Michigan State though and that gives them a lot of credit. Michigan State is a pretty good team.

But then lost to wash state who everyone is beating now. Bad bad loss. Michigan state was their one good game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

chinook

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 01:43:47 AM »
But then lost to wash state who everyone is beating now. Bad bad loss. Michigan state was their one good game.

Not so fast...Orygun was beat by Arizona in Eugene. 

The Ducks have Stanford, Utah, Colorado and Wood Chompers remaining on the schedule.  I have a feeling the Beavers will beat them in Corvalis this year. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:47:49 AM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 02:13:06 AM »
 :jaw:

I'm extremely impressed that they used logic in their selections...of course it's going to be the SEC Playoff starting this weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »

As the hippie said, they lost to Arizona. And it is obvious that the committee is more heavily weighing big wins instead of losses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:15 AM »
Not so fast...Orygun was beat by Arizona in Eugene. 

The Ducks have Stanford, Utah, Colorado and Wood Chompers remaining on the schedule.  I have a feeling the Beavers will beat them in Corvalis this year.

You are right. One of the idiots on ESPN misspoke on that one and I didnt bother to fact check it. DOAH. Anywho....they did screw the pooch against WSU and like you said, Az put the whooping on em.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 09:13:03 AM »
As the hippie said, they lost to Arizona. And it is obvious that the committee is more heavily weighing big wins instead of losses.

Yep...what I get for listening to an idiot on TV. I thought people on espn were always right.   :taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
This committee is supposed to determine who the best four teams are at season's end.  What purpose does it serve to release a ranking half way through the season?  How useless is it to release this poll when #3 and #4 play this weekend?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
This committee is supposed to determine who the best four teams are at season's end.  What purpose does it serve to release a ranking half way through the season? How useless is it to release this poll when #3 and #4 play this weekend?

TV ratings. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 11:57:47 AM »
As everyone else seems to agree, this poll is a huge relief to me.

Moreso than the Coach's, AP, computers, BCS, etc. this one seems to get it right. From 1-25, there's nothing illogical or irrational there. You could quibble here and there about team X should be a spot or two higher or lower, but there's nothing just flat out stupid, and that's a huge improvement to any other poll we've seen so far.

And to answer this:
This committee is supposed to determine who the best four teams are at season's end.  What purpose does it serve to release a ranking half way through the season?  How useless is it to release this poll when #3 and #4 play this weekend?
It gives us a measuring stick to how they arrive at their final conclusion so it isn't just pulled out of their ass at the end of the year.

I think people are used to seeing the illogical old system, which I have always raged about and found insanely stupid, where pollsters try to put on their Carnac the Magnificent hats and rank based on where they think these teams will end up. The goal for sportswriters & commentators was to earn cred by having their final polls match as closely to their preseason polls as possible. In effect, punishing teams for playing tougher schedules before they even play them. That never made sense to me. Polls should be based on what we've seen on the field to this point in the season. Quality wins should be the first criteria. The quality of the opponent you lost to is also important. And conference championships should be extremely important as well. Obviously this committee gets all of this and is ranking the way I've been wishing the AP would have all this time.

Having this ranking now matters, because now we know that whoever wins in the #3 vs. #4 matchup this weekend, should probably leapfrog FSU even if they get past Louisville, or at least come damn close. The loser shouldn't be punished too too much. Probably to about 10 or so where Kansas State, Notre Dame, and Georgia are currently residing.

So another answer to Snags' question: No, this is not how the 4 will end up. It shouldn't be.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:59:49 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »
What the Twit King said. 

I couldn't be more pleased with these rankings.  I couldn't be more disappointed in who determined the bowl games of the last 25 years. 

Last year, Alabama is #2 with media pundits saying they'll be #1 after they blow out Miss State. 

This year, Alabama is #6 with media pundits have no significant influence and the committee saying they'll be in the top 4 when they do something that warrants a top 4 ranking. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions