First Rankings - Official Thread

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: First Rankings - Official Thread
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
Chizad says yada yada
The only one I actually question is Ole Miss.  Losing to LSU at Tiger Stadium by 3 obviously not a bad loss.  However this is not LSU of old. I think they belong in the top 7 just not #4, but it really doesn't matter after this weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Yep, no matter what formula you use, what committee votes, if we win, we're in.  If we don't, we won't.  Simple. 

But I hate, hate, fucking hate that a committee is deciding anything.  It's all Care Bears and Unicorns right now because they put us in.  Everything looks logical and right with the world.  I'll bet Oregon (They're just so fast) fans think a win over a top 10 team should trump our 15 point loss to the only top 10 team (At the time) we've played to date.  Not arguing against us.  I'm glad we're there and again, none of it matters at this point because whether we were placed at #3 or #15, if we win out on this schedule we're in.  Or would we be?  From teh wiki's.  1983

The team capped a stellar 11–1 season by beating Michigan in the Sugar Bowl 9–7. Despite entering the bowl games ranked third in both major polls, and with both teams ranked higher losing their bowl games, the Tigers ended ranked third in the final AP poll as Miami jumped from 5th to claim the AP National Championship award. Auburn had played the toughest schedule in the nation, including eight bowl teams, seven of which were ranked in the top 20 (four in the top ten). The Tigers did finish ranked first in a few polls including the computer rankings utilized by The New York Times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
The only one I actually question is Ole Miss.  Losing to LSU at Tiger Stadium by 3 obviously not a bad loss.  However this is not LSU of old. I think they belong in the top 7 just not #4, but it really doesn't matter after this weekend.
Exactly. It'll work itself out.

I still don't have a problem with it because they lost a close game to a ranked opponent, but more importantly, beat an opponent ranked just two spots below them that everyone seems to think should be higher. That's the old irrational mindset not based on what has taken place on the field to this point in the season. They're right about where they should be TO THIS POINT, in my opinion. If they lose this weekend, then drop them around to #10ish, like I said. Doesn't affect where they should be THIS week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »
Yep, no matter what formula you use, what committee votes, if we win, we're in.  If we don't, we won't.  Simple. 

But I hate, hate, fucking hate that a committee is deciding anything.  It's all Care Bears and Unicorns right now because they put us in.  Everything looks logical and right with the world.  I'll bet Oregon (They're just so fast) fans think a win over a top 10 team should trump our 15 point loss to the only top 10 team (At the time) we've played to date.
And if there was a ranking at the time and we had one loss and they had the one quality win, then maybe this would matter.

But everyone's critique seems to be that they are ranking based on the present. Not the past. Not the future. The present. That's the way it should be, IMO.

TODAY we know that a win over Kansas State is more impressive than a win over Michigan State. And we damn sure know that losing to #1 Mississippi State is more forgivable than losing to #12 Arizona. Even using your "at the time" logic, which again I think is flawed, Arizona was unranked and MSU was #3.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »

Which goes to show that they are weighing good wins over bad losses. A win over #6 Alabama weighs more than a fuck up against LSU. This is A+ quality figuring in my opinion...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 02:16:22 PM »
Plus...LSU's only losses to date are to #3 and #1. and KSU only loss is to #3. And AUburn's only loss is to #1.

This is about the most logical of rankings I have seen for this week. I think it is about perfect.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 02:18:58 PM »
Plus...LSU's only losses to date are to #3 and #1. and KSU only loss is to #3. And AUburn's only loss is to #1.

This is about the most logical of rankings I have seen for this week. I think it is about perfect.

Agree....about as good as we could hope for.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
Auburn beats Ole Miss
Alabama beats Mississippi State
Georgia beats Auburn
Ole Miss beats Mississippi State
Auburn beats Alabama

Georgia wins the SEC

Meanwhile, Florida State, Michigan State and Oregon finish out the season against average competition while every top team in the SEC still has top 5 teams left to play.  Notre Dame is the only team outside of the SEC that still has quality opponents left to play. 

If the SEC beats each other up, which is very possible, we could see a non-SEC playoff scenario.  Would they let a 2 loss SEC team in over the 1 loss teams currently in the top 8?  I don't think so.  Bottom line is, if any of the top SEC teams win out, they are in.  I just hate that we all have top notch opponents left the play while Oregon and Florida State get to skate into the playoffs.  ANY two loss SEC team would beat Oregon or Florida State. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »
Also.  The SEC playoffs started 3 weeks ago, while everyone else is just beating average teams trying not to fuck up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 03:16:14 PM »
Auburn beats Ole Miss
Georgia beats Auburn
Auburn beats Alabama

Georgia wins the SEC

Meanwhile, Florida State, Michigan State and Oregon finish out the season against average competition while every top team in the SEC still has top 5 teams left to play.  Notre Dame is the only team outside of the SEC that still has quality opponents left to play. 

If the SEC beats each other up, which is very possible, we could see a non-SEC playoff scenario.  Would they let a 2 loss SEC team in over the 1 loss teams currently in the top 8?  I don't think so.  Bottom line is, if any of the top SEC teams win out, they are in.  I just hate that we all have top notch opponents left the play while Oregon and Florida State get to skate into the playoffs.  ANY two loss SEC team would beat Oregon or Florida State.
There is absolutely no scenario this year where zero SEC teams are in the playoff. I can 100% guarantee that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »
There is absolutely no scenario this year where zero SEC teams are in the playoff. I can 100% guarantee that.

Yes, but you also guaranteed us that only Auburn could MAYBE beat A&M around Sept 1st-ish.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »
Also.  The SEC playoffs started 3 weeks ago, while everyone else is just beating average teams trying not to fuck up.

I had a Meeechigan fan try and criticize Auburn for playing Samford in November (and here I quote...) "while every other team in the country is playing meaningful conference games."   :rofl:

My response was that we have been playing a conf schedule since OCTOBER and WTH difference did it make when we play a non-conf opponent?  Not to mention that unlike others, all of our conf opp are also RANKED TEAMS.

His only response (and really the only response he could give to that, lame tho it is) was that he would hate for the "penultimate game of the season to be against a patsy."  What diff does it make when the odds are good that it WON'T be our last game of the season... unlike Meechigan.

I then pointed out that a patsy like Samford sandwiched between our two biggest rivals, who also happen to be ranked opponents, was better than a bye.

Then another Meechigunner chimed in that our opp were only ranked now because the pre-season polls were stacked with SEC teams and there's no change if they win.

My response to him was even easier - all 5 Power Conf were represented in the Pre-Season Top 10.  4 of the 5 Power Conf had 2 or more teams.  FSU was the only ACC team, and the SEC had three (AU, UA and SC), one of which is no longer ranked.  Big 12 had OK and Baylor, PAC-WTF had Oregon and UCLA, and Big 10 had MichSt and tOSU. 

But SEC teams continue to win, and the others didn't, so WIN and you stay IN.

What a total dumbass.  The hatred and spew directed at the SEC is such BULLSHIT.  Like numerous talking heads have said this week - if you hate the SEC dominance, then BEAT THEM.  No one who has tried has been able to other than whoever against TN.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 03:25:24 PM »
Wench story

I would have just stopped him mid sentence and said " Wait...you are a Michigan fan, and you admit that...I'm sorry come talk to me when your team has beaten anyone."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
ANY two loss SEC team would beat Oregon or Florida State.
I also think that FSU would probably lose to South Carolina.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 03:30:42 PM »
Auburn beats Ole Miss
Georgia beats Auburn
Auburn beats Alabama

Georgia wins the SEC

UGA would go BTW.  Because in your scenario that puts UGA as a 1 loss team.  Also in your scenario Auburn would represent the West in the SECG.

To add to the chaos you would need to make UGA lose the SECG to Auburn thus giving them 2 losses along with everyone else.  I still think if this were the case a 2 loss Auburn would be in the playoff.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:33:41 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
UGA would go BTW.  Because in your scenario that puts UGA as a 1 loss team.  Also in your scenario Auburn would represent the West in the SECG.

That would be assuming that Alabama beats LSU, and has 2 losses like Ms State, Auburn and Ole Miss and the 4 way tie-breaker is Auburn...which I am not even sure how they would figure that out...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 03:54:47 PM »
That would be assuming that Alabama beats LSU, and has 2 losses like Ms State, Auburn and Ole Miss and the 4 way tie-breaker is Auburn...which I am not even sure how they would figure that out...
Auburn would go because assuming:

Bama: 2 losses (Ole Miss & Auburn)
Ole Miss: 2 losses (LSU & Auburn)
Miss State: 2 losses (bama & Ole Miss)

If this were the case Auburn would only have one loss in the Western Divison (Miss State) and one in the Eastern (UGA).

2nd tiebreaker before they look at Eastern team winning percentage is losses in division. Auburn would only have one divison loss and would be the representative.

Doesn't matter if bama wins against LSU or not, if they lose it would just take them out of the scenario.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:57:22 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »
My head hurts
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
My head hurts
Imagine how your balls feel.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 04:02:36 PM »
Imagine how your balls feel.

He would have to ask for permission to find out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions