Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Geek Squad!

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Geek Squad!
« on: October 13, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »
So, I'm having a weird problem with my home network.

Linksys WRT110 router connects PC, phone and tablet wirelessly.  PS3 is hard-wired.

As long as that setup remains stable, I have zero issues.

If, however, a strange device tries to access the network (neighbor's laptop, GF's laptop, etc), then everything is disconnected.  Well, it's all still connected (with a full signal) to the router, but no connection to the internet is available.

If I reset the modem/router, then the original setup works.

Is this some sort of issue with newer items having a wireless "n" signal and my router not knowing what to do with it?  Why wouldn't it just not allow the new item and leave the other connections untouched?

Is my only hope of correcting this to update my router (which isn't all that old, actually).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: Geek Squad!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »
Try Disabling uPnp on your router.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »
Try Disabling uPnp on your router.

I don't know what that implicates.  I know where to do it...but will there be any unintended consequences?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
I don't know what that implicates.  I know where to do it...but will there be any unintended consequences?

Personally, I think it's useless to me. You may think you need it if you are a big gamer.

Here: See if this helps

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetArticle.aspx?docid=a7347c8b4e6744dd96864d33ffa79694_17371.xml&pid=80&converted=0

http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-disable-upnp-as-tens-of-millions-at-risk-7000010512/

Perhaps the fact that too many ports being open is an issue with that router. Other than ease of opening new ports, I don't see it's usefulness.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:13:13 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:04:58 AM »
Weskie, if you take any bit of advice from the tinfoil dude, then well, may God have mercy on your network.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:00:42 AM »
Personally, I think it's useless to me. You may think you need it if you are a big gamer.

<snicker>

Look man he already said he has a PS3 on the network so you know he doesn't game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:31:49 PM »
I assume you're not getting a notification on your PC about an IP conflict?  If not, I guess it could still be an IP conflict with your phone or PS3, and those devices wouldn't show an IP conflict notification.

If you know how to set a DHCP reservation for each of your devices on the router, I'd try that.

If that's not the issue, then it may be a compatibility issue between brands of hardware or hardware that is outdated and can't handle a new signal or multiple types of signals at once.  I had a similar issue several years back and could only fix it by upgrading the router.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »
If one of the already connected devices are set with a static IP, and that static IP is in the DHCP range that has been set on your router, then that could be an issue.  What happens is that the router may be trying to assign an IP address via DHCP to a "new" device, but can't because something else is using it.  I've seen routers freak out because of that before.  Along those same lines, VV had some pretty sound advice in suggesting using DHCP reservation for your devices.

Also, if you're connecting devices that have static IP settings putting the device on a different LAN segment than your home network, then it will connect to the wireless but won't get internet.  For example, if your home network is set in the 192.168.1.X range, but your device's wireless adapter is set in the 10.0.0.X range, you're not going to get internet on that device.

I don't think UPNP is that much of an issue, because you would more than likely be having a problem with EVERYTHING if it were.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 08:33:52 AM »
If one of the already connected devices are set with a static IP, and that static IP is in the DHCP range that has been set on your router, then that could be an issue.  What happens is that the router may be trying to assign an IP address via DHCP to a "new" device, but can't because something else is using it.  I've seen routers freak out because of that before.  Along those same lines, VV had some pretty sound advice in suggesting using DHCP reservation for your devices.

Also, if you're connecting devices that have static IP settings putting the device on a different LAN segment than your home network, then it will connect to the wireless but won't get internet.  For example, if your home network is set in the 192.168.1.X range, but your device's wireless adapter is set in the 10.0.0.X range, you're not going to get internet on that device.

I don't think UPNP is that much of an issue, because you would more than likely be having a problem with EVERYTHING if it were.

Can you dumb this down for me?  I'd prefer to not have to buy a new router.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »
I assume you're not getting a notification on your PC about an IP conflict?  If not, I guess it could still be an IP conflict with your phone or PS3, and those devices wouldn't show an IP conflict notification.

If you know how to set a DHCP reservation for each of your devices on the router, I'd try that.

If that's not the issue, then it may be a compatibility issue between brands of hardware or hardware that is outdated and can't handle a new signal or multiple types of signals at once.  I had a similar issue several years back and could only fix it by upgrading the router.

With any remotely new router you shouldn't be having to do any of this. If you are having to be a "programmer" in order to simply connect to your router or have it operate correctly, then its probably outdated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »
With any remotely new router you shouldn't be having to do any of this. If you are having to be a "programmer" in order to simply connect to your router or have it operate correctly, then its probably outdated.

That's what I figured.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
I say call Nick Burns, the company's computer guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
I say call Nick Burns, the company's computer guy.

He'll fix your computer, and then make fun of you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
Sometimes, when my computer starts acting up, I take it outside for a day or two. It's kind of like putting it into time out. If that doesn't work, open up the back of the unit where the circuit board is and brush on a liberal amount of axle grease. I try to do this twice a year, depending on how much I've been using my computer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
Sometimes, when my computer starts acting up, I take it outside for a day or two. It's kind of like putting it into time out. If that doesn't work, open up the back of the unit where the circuit board is and brush on a liberal amount of axle grease. I try to do this twice a year, depending on how much I've been using my computer.

Well see this is where you are fucking up, it's all ball bearings these days.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »
Well see this is where you are fudgeing up, it's all ball bearings these days.
Oh, I know how to pack a ball alright. I just grease the shaft down and start packing it hard. I've done this numerous times. You should see how fast I can go. Like a damn jack hammer packing it in there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »

Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:33 PM »
Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
Yeah, why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »
Perhaps he needs a refresher course.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 06:25:40 PM »
With any remotely new router you shouldn't be having to do any of this.

I bought a router a few weeks ago that caused IP conflicts to occur.  Releasing/refreshing the IP fixed this, and the router had no issues with assigning IPs after that, but I still added some DHCP reservations just to make sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin