Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Malzahn Disciple And Why Saban Needs Him To Fail

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Malzahn Disciple And Why Saban Needs Him To Fail
« on: July 11, 2014, 03:34:30 PM »
http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2014/7/11/5887115/why-nick-saban-needs-this-guy-to-fail-josh-floyd-trussville

Pretty interesting read.

Why Nick Saban Needs This Guy to Fail

By Dr Z on Jul 11 2014, 11:00a

A Malzahn Disciple has made his way to Alabama High School ranks

Meet Josh Floyd, the new coach of Hewitt High School in Trussville, Alabama.  Trussville is an affluent suburb on the northeastern side of Birmingham.  Hewitt Trussville is a school known for great QB's like Jeff Rutledge, Jay Barker, Brandon Cox, and Jason Standride (who signed with Auburn, but elected to play baseball).

So right now I am sure you are thinking, "Why am I reading a piece about a new coach in an Alabama suburb?"

Josh Floyd isn't just any new coach.  He was essentially hand picked for this job by Gus Malzahn for the Trussville City School system.

As the story goes two Trussville residents approached Gus at a coaching carousel event a few months back.  They asked him if he had any recommendations for a football coach.   Gus called back the next day with Floyd's name and number.

Floyd played for Gus at Shiloh Christian.  After some coaxing, he left his Alma mater where he had already won four state titles to come to Alabama.

During Coach Floyd’s 10-year career at Shiloh, he has compiled a 99-29-1 record, including four state championships and one runner-up finish. During a run from 2006-2010, Shiloh was the state’s most winningest program. In 2009, Shiloh finished ranked No. 1 in all classifications in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette Poll while also attaining a No. 24 national ranking in USA Today.

Needless to say, the guy can coach.  So why is this important to Auburn and Alabama?

Floyd is the first true Malzahn disciple to coach high school football in Alabama.  If and when he succeeds at Hewitt, look for this style to spread like wildfire in the state.  Look for more of the blue chip athletes in Alabama to be more familiar and more excited about the hurry up no huddle, and look for Auburn's already stellar recruiting to gain even more traction.

This will be a new challenge for Floyd, playing in the toughest region in Alabama's new 7A which contains powerhouse Hoover.  The schedule will be tough and after starting the job in June, there will be a pretty steep learning curve.

You can better your bottom dollar that a certain dark lord of the sith over in Tuscaloosa will be pulling against Coach Floyd and Hewitt Trussville.

Saban has already asked publicly "Is this the way we want football to be?"  If Coach Floyd is successful, then this may be the way football becomes all over the south.

I for one am pretty excited about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Malzahn Disciple And Why Saban Needs Him To Fail
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
but sabanz aint skerred-a-know spread pawwllll....i for one says brang it on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »
Hewitt had to do something once they were put into 7A.  I am pumped about Floyd being at my old HS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »
Hewitt had to do something once they were put into 7A.  I am pumped about Floyd being at my old HS.

Maybe you guys can finally beat Clay/Chalkville.  :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 05:13:28 PM »

Doubtful
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 05:27:18 PM »
Gardendale, Mt. Brook and Gadsden City maybe. Not so sure about the cousins in Chalkville, Oak Mt, Vestavia, Tusc. Co. and of course Hoover.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:05:36 AM »
Eehhhhh...I like the idea of a Gus coaching tree just for recruiting purposes.  But in terms of bringing the spread to Alabama, it's been here a while. 

Pelham was one of the first to do the shotgun, fast(er) paced, spread out offense with Rick Rhoads in the late 90s (Watts Up, Vigor Down). 

Hoover came in with it and dominated with Propst in 2000. 

Now, you can find a lot of schools running the hurry up, "NASCAR," spread, and they have been for years.  Theodore whipped our ass in 2003 with the spread.  Trussville actually ran a version of the spread when Cox was there.  Tuscaloosa County ran the spread, speed option for a while. 

But it is nice to finally see some high school influence for Auburn.  Seems like the majority of the schools in this state have a Bama homer at the helm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »

But it is nice to finally see some high school influence for Auburn.  Seems like the majority of the schools in this state have a Bama homer at the helm.

Exactly why this is very important.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
Exactly why this is very important.

Im thinking Trussville Auburn Supper Club and er'rything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »
Would do well to get Auburn/Opelika kids. We don't need more high school coaches, we need more bagmen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »
Eehhhhh...I like the idea of a Gus coaching tree just for recruiting purposes.  But in terms of bringing the spread to Alabama, it's been here a while. 

Pelham was one of the first to do the shotgun, fast(er) paced, spread out offense with Rick Rhoads in the late 90s (Watts Up, Vigor Down). 

Hoover came in with it and dominated with Propst in 2000. 

Now, you can find a lot of schools running the hurry up, "NASCAR," spread, and they have been for years.  Theodore whipped our ass in 2003 with the spread.  Trussville actually ran a version of the spread when Cox was there.  Tuscaloosa County ran the spread, speed option for a while. 

The Wing T has been around for ages and Gus's Offense isn't really that much different from it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 03:13:37 PM »
The Wing T has been around for ages and Gus's Offense isn't really that much different from it.
I like it because we use it as a power offense but it can also be adapted to use against faster, more talented defenses with misdirection and screens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 05:16:18 PM »

I think the article was referring more to his hurry up pace though.  That too isn't a new concept for this state.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 09:37:32 AM »
I think the article was referring more to his hurry up pace though.  That too isn't a new concept for this state.

Damn shit causes injuries!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: !!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:35:21 AM »

It's done been proved by coarch Sabbin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: !!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »

Duh.  Did you watch any of the World Cup?  Soccer is fast paced, and...well, here...proof that injuries are unavoidable when the game speeds up:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin