Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Best Show Evah...

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Best Show Evah...
« on: July 02, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »
Okay, what concert(s) sticks out in your mind and makes you say, "That blows all of them away."?  Why is it at the top of your list? Or at least top 3. Was it the stage show, the lights and pyrotechnics?  Was it that one guitarist or drummer you could watch and listen to all day long?  Or was it a band where you could just kick back and sing every word to every song?  Being a couple of years older than, well... some of you, I had the chance to see some bands in their prime that you may not have had the opportunity to see.  Ted Nugent, Nazareth, Foghat, Queen, Van Halen (with DLR) etc.  Even saw The Jackson 5 pre-child molester days. 

For sheer talent and stage presence, it was Queen for me.  Was not a huge fan of their music but I can't think of a better front man than Freddie Mercury in music history. 

For just plain sing every song, music enjoyment it was The Eagles.  No real stage show to speak of.  Just hit after hit after hit.

The two loudest, in your face shows were KISS and Ted Nugent. KISS was outdoors so it didn't hit me like Nugent.  I saw Ted at The Gump Civic Center and had ringing in my ears for 2 days afterward.  Never been to anything that loud.

Bands I always wanted to see but it looks like I screwed the pooch.  AC/DC and Motley Crue.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Best Show Evah...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
Kool and the Gang, Gregg Allman, Steppenwolf, Willie Nelson, John Prine.

I've seen Prine 20+ times through the years. Met him a few times. Just a big fan, so I had to include him. I'm a big Dylan fan too but didn't include him because the only time I saw him was in Dothan and it wasn't a particularly good show. After one of the hurricanes and he was in and out on his way to Florida I think. Dothan didn't make the tour tee shirt.

The reason Kool and the Gang is number one is because they were cool.

The reason Gregg Allman is number two is because he smoked a jade on stage.

Steppenwolf is number three because it was my first big date with a hot (female) cheerleader that night and she became my girl until she broke my heart and left me to pick up the shattered pieces little by little over the last 25 years. Thanks for reminding me.

Willie is top 5 because he's Willie. I've seen him twice. Not good sound on the back deck of the Spinnaker but he was Willie and I was really drunk. I am still able to dance well though and I put on a really good show with some new moves. I also sang really well that night, as usual.

I've been to some great bluegrass and folk festivals but I didn't figure anyone on here is cultured enough to appreciate that, so I didn't include. Same goes for the opera and musicals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »
Bob Seger...and its not even close.

And thats saying a lot because the others Ive seen in recent memory aren't chopped liver.....

Three Dog Night
Alabama
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
U2
Alan Jackson
Fleetwood Mac
David Allan Coe (who I loathe now)
George Jones
Merle Haggard
Foreigner
He far and away put on the best show...the funnest show.

Fleetwood Mac was pretty good. George and Merle were both drunk. U2 was a little below what I was expecting but that was mainly because the crowd was dead. REO and Three Dog put on a good show for their fans still.

Some I want to see before its all over:

Rolling Stones
Clapton
Billy Joel
Eagles
Allman Brothers Band
Sammy Haggar
Led Zepp (if theyll do a reunion tour of sorts)
The Kinks
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:06:33 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »
Motley Crue.
Box seats.
Vegas.

Also saw Robert Plant and Alison Krauss a few years ago and it was TOP NOTCH!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:12:06 PM »
Motley Crue.
Box seats.
Vegas.

Also saw Robert Plant and Alison Krauss a few years ago and it was TOP NOTCH!

Didn't they do a Crossroads thing together?  Really weird pairing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »

Very...but regardless Plant was a rock god...still is sort of.

And I would pay to see his ass. Your ass on the other hand? Thats another story altogether.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »

They did and I was not really all that jazzed about going but the ticket was free.  One of the best shows I have ever been to when just taking into account the music.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »
Very...but regardless Plant was a rock god...still is sort of.

And I would pay to see his ass. Your ass on the other hand? Thats another story altogether.

I've got a big boil on my left cheek. 

I think of the concerts I saw just during the time I was at AU.  Off the top of my balding head:

Joan Jett
Heart (When Ann and Nancy were both hawt)
Lionel Richie
Buffett
Pat Benatar (Forgot about that one.  She frickin' rocked)
Daryl Hall and Mustache Boy
Blackfoot
Eagles
Pat Travers
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »
Came across this video a while back and fell in love with this song.  Check out the acoustic solo.  Kind of an eerie/beautiful feel. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
Didn't know at the time but:

U2 -before they got all political

opening for

38 special

Monsters of rock   1982  (Germany)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 12:32:40 AM »
I guess by being an old fart means I've seen a few incredible shows.  In no particular order:

Beatles..nuff said
Paul McCartney...(see above)
Brian Wilson.......what the Beach Boys would have sounded like now.
Grateful Dead.........the dead heads were worth the show.........great live show
Stevie Ray Vaughn.....fucking unbelievable
Eric Clapton (3 times....always classy)
Lynyrd Skynyrd......... when they were all still alive
Allman Brothers........ when they were all still alive
Bob Seger....great show....really powerful voice
Paul Revere and the Raiders...these guys put on a great show
Jimmy Buffet..........several times, always a fun show.
The Moody Blues w/The Houston Philharmonic at the Woodlands...........outdoors and laid back with my lady.                        Don't get much better.
And of course.......the best

Elvis.........The KING
Pink Floyd........Best Fucking show I've ever seen.........sights and sounds no equal to this one.  If you missed them, you can get close by checking out David Gilmour or Roger Waters will be as close as you can get.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:35:39 AM by oldautiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 12:42:28 AM »
Leaving out KISS because nothing really compares there have been several that were really, really good.

Charlie Daniels in about 1981.
Lionel Richie about the same time frame.
Earth Wind & Fire 1978.
Prince in 1982 (The Time opened)
AC/DC with White Lion
Journey (Frontiers Tour)

Some that really disappointed:

Hank Jr.  with Jerry lee Lewis.  Worst concert I've ever been to in my life, bar none.

Eagles Hell Freezes Over (Don't know what I expected but sitting on stools, never moving and playing Hotel California in the first two or three songs wasn't it)

Chicago (in Auburn)  Cetera was drunk and kept forgetting the words to songs

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:44:07 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
Ladies love the Cetera
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
Ladies love the Cetera

He did the same thing to Chicago (to a lesser degree) that Michael McDonald did to the Doobies. Not that either were BAD with them...but they def weren't the same bands as they were before. Maybe I'm just a jam band junkie. I prefered Chicago with Kath.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
He did the same thing to Chicago (to a lesser degree) that Michael McDonald did to the Doobies. Not that either were BAD with them...but they def weren't the same bands as they were before. Maybe I'm just a jam band junkie. I prefered Chicago with Kath.

I was lucky to see the Doobies prior to the McDonald abortion.  Agreed the music wasn't total suckage.  It just turned to straight up. top 40, bubble gum pop
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »
I was lucky to see the Doobies prior to the McDonald abortion.  Agreed the music wasn't total suckage.  It just turned to straight up. top 40, bubble gum pop

True words.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
I saw Elvis open up for James Brown with a guest appearance by the Beatles. I had back stage passes and smoked a bowl with the Allman Bros and the Stones as they played wild horses acoustic. Top that, bitches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 12:46:35 PM »
I saw Elvis open up for James Brown with a guest appearance by the Beatles. I had back stage passes and smoked a bowl with the Allman Bros and the Stones as they played wild horses acoustic. Top that, bitches.

Oh you ain't never met Martin Luther the King
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »

And what did Led Zeppelin have to say about all of this?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »

I sang at Live aid one year.

Zero donations and stop payments and was never invited back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'