Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

We're Claimin 'Em.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: We're Claimin 'Em.
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
I'm alone in the wilderness again, but I say if someone awarded us champions take it.

I'd go further and claim 04 as well. USC can't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 11:42:10 AM »
I'm on the count 'em all bus too. 

2004. 1983. 1913. 1958.

I would go further.

I'd like the SEC to go back and strip away all the titles Alabama "won" by Bryant scheduling Vanderbilt in addition to the regular SEC schedule and then claiming titles because they had one more win than the others in the league.  Take 1972 for instance.  Alabama was 6-1 +Vandy in conference.  Lost to Auburn. Auburn was 6-1 (no Vandy) in conference.  Beat Alabama. Who was SEC champion?  Oh, yeah. They claim it.  .875 winning percentage "beats" .857.  Seven wins "beats" six.  That's nonsense. 

I read somewhere once that if you made the SEC even by not allowing them to "win" by having an extra game, they'd lose 12 of their SEC titles or some obnoxious number like that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
I'm on the count 'em all bus too. 

2004. 1983. 1913. 1958.

I would go further.

I'd like the SEC to go back and strip away all the titles Alabama "won" by Bryant scheduling Vanderbilt in addition to the regular SEC schedule and then claiming titles because they had one more win than the others in the league.  Take 1972 for instance.  Alabama was 6-1 +Vandy in conference.  Lost to Auburn. Auburn was 6-1 (no Vandy) in conference.  Beat Alabama. Who was SEC champion?  Oh, yeah. They claim it.  .875 winning percentage "beats" .857.  Seven wins "beats" six.  That's nonsense. 

I read somewhere once that if you made the SEC even by not allowing them to "win" by having an extra game, they'd lose 12 of their SEC titles or some obnoxious number like that.
The way the SEC currently awards championships is the fairest thing in college football.

EXCEPT what we've talked about on the board, which is that Bama has had the luxury of having their schedule cherry picked for them by the SEC.

As discussed here: http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/2014-sec-strength-of-schedule/
And more in depth here: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010&t=12846255
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »
I read this from JJ:

“We’re so competitive. We compare ourselves to other schools,” Jacobs told Bryan Matthews of 247sports. “If they’re counting something that we’re not counting, and we’re on equal footing, wouldn’t it be wise to count it?”

...and what I hear in my head is:

“We’re so competitive against the Bammers. We compare ourselves to other schools, especially Alabama” Jacobs told Bryan Matthews of 247sports. “If 'Bama is counting something that we’re not counting, and we’re on equal footing, wouldn’t it be wise to count it so we can be just like the Bammers?”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
I read this from JJ:

...and what I hear in my head is:
They're not the only University who ever retroactively claimed a championship. Or claimed championships that are disputed. They are the undisputed kings of this practice with the least discretion, but that doesn't mean the practice as a whole is uniquely theirs or shouldn't be done because of the abusive way that they do it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
They're not the only University who ever retroactively claimed a championship. Or claimed championships that are disputed. They are the undisputed kings of this practice with the least discretion, but that doesn't mean the practice as a whole is uniquely theirs or shouldn't be done because of the abusive way that they do it.

Ole Miss and A&M are the more recent transgressors.  Neither have ever won one, but both now claim multiples. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 09:27:37 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/05/29/auburn-football-national-championships-tommy-tuberville/9744503/
Tuberville says Auburn obviously should claim USC's vacated 2004 title
Dan Wolken, USA TODAY Sports 8:56 p.m. EDT May 29, 2014

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. — Auburn is exploring the possibility of claiming more national titles in football, but former coach Tommy Tuberville said he was disappointed to get "no help" from the Auburn administration when he wanted the school to make a push to claim the 2004 title after it was stripped from Southern California because of NCAA violations.

"They didn't step up and say anything," Tuberville, currently coaching at Cincinnati, told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday.

Auburn's 2004 team finished 13-0, including a victory against Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl, and finished No. 2 in the final polls. Auburn never got a chance to play for the national title, however, because there were three unbeaten teams at the end of the regular season, and Oklahoma edged out the Tigers for No. 2 in the BCS rankings.

USC dominated Oklahoma 55-19, and few dispute that Auburn, which beat four top-10 teams that year, would have given the Trojans a much better game.

In 2011 the BCS stripped USC of its national title after the NCAA determined that star running back Reggie Bush had received illegal benefits. Thus, the BCS doesn't officially recognize a national champion in 2004.

Though Auburn laying claim to a national title that year would get into tricky territory since there was a designated championship game in 2004 and the Tigers weren't selected to play in it, they were an undefeated champion of a major conference and won a significant bowl game.

"What I was disappointed with is we didn't have the media step up and say, 'OK, there's got to be a champion so who is it? It obviously should have been us," Tuberville said. "Oklahoma lost. Maybe they could say it should be split because they played in the game. But Auburn went undefeated.

"If it'd been Michigan, if it had been Alabama, there would have been more of a push toward saying, hey they should be named No. 1. But Auburn, for some reason, we never got to first base on it. There was no support out of the administration."

That could be changing.

Jay Jacobs told AL.com that a committee will meet in June to discuss whether the school should officially recognize more than the two national titles for which it officially hangs banners.

On Auburn's Web site, under the "Football Tradition" banner, it notes 1913, 1983 and 1993 as "championship teams," citing the NCAA record book. The NCAA does not name national champions in football, but it recognizes "champions" from a number of sources. In 1993, for instance, Auburn (despite serving NCAA probation and being ineligible for a bowl game) is listed as a "national champion" alongside Nebraska, Notre Dame and Florida State based on the results of the National Championship Foundation, which the NCAA used primarily to help determine national champions pre-1950. Florida State's sole claim to the 1993 national championship has never been argued against by any legitimate source.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:30:44 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
Put me in the absolutely not column.  Do....Not....Want!!!  Sorry we got screwed out of a chance to play for it in 2004.  Sorry we got hosed in 83'.  But Boo freakin' Hoo.  Some team has a beef just about every year.  If the confetti rains down and we raise the trophy, put it in the books.  Otherwise, we're just being them. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 09:47:46 AM »
Put me in the absolutely not column.  Do....Not....Want!!!  Sorry we got screwed out of a chance to play for it in 2004.  Sorry we got hosed in 83'.  But Boo freakin' Hoo.  Some team has a beef just about every year.  If the confetti rains down and we raise the trophy, put it in the books.  Otherwise, we're just being them.
4thd
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »
O.k., got it. But I have 5, bitch. Got five? Oh, I'm sorry. Obviously not. And I played a big part in AU reaching this number. That's why I will wear the tee shirt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
Otherwise, we're just being them.

The Illuminati? 
Bear Force One?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »
The Illuminati? 
Bear Force One?

Uh huh!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 01:48:33 PM »
Call me fifthin. Don't want the disputed or forfeitures, only earned. I think we all knew we had the best team last season so we have to win the close ones and slam the door on the rest...like UGA. BTW, when's the last time we laid waste to an important rival excluding USCe back to back which doesn't qualify?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »
Call me fifthin. Don't want the disputed or forfeitures, only earned. I think we all knew we had the best team last season so we have to win the close ones and slam the door on the rest...like UGA. BTW, when's the last time we laid waste to an important rival excluding USCe back to back which doesn't qualify?

Alabama only beats us when we're down
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
Alabama only beats us when we're down
I'm 55 and well past the winning with honor bit. I've got Gus now and wish to witness some skull fuckings and then drag 'em in the gravel for good measure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
I'm 55 and well past the winning with honor bit. I've got Gus now and wish to witness some skull fudgeings and then drag 'em in the gravel for good measure.
Regardless of the scores, if we even the series, it will be huge. If we keep Gus, I expect us to take the lead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2014, 05:18:51 PM »
I say Gus entertains the NFL before another in the college ranks. Buf I fhink he could stat for two decades.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »
I say Gus entertains the NFL before another in the college ranks. Buf I fhink he could stat for two decades.
I fhink you could be right. But I don't know how long he may stat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
Regardless of the scores, if we even the series, it will be huge. If we keep Gus, I expect us to take the lead.

I would expect them to try and get out of the series before that happens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »

A move to the SEC East would benefit all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions