Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Muscle Shoals

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Muscle Shoals
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »
Anyone see this doc?

Really awesome. I had a casual understanding/appreciation for the hits they recorded, but HOLY SHIT. I had no idea the Stones recorded Wild Horses & Brown Sugar there. I had no idea he same three white boys played on practically every soul hit from the 60's (Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Staple Singers, Wilson Pickett, Clarence Carter, Etta James, Percy Sledge) and many of the rock hits of the 70's (The aforementioned Rolling Stones, Elton John, Boz Scaggs, Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Dr. Hook, Bob Seger, Lynyrd Skynyrd). Even Jimmy Cliff recorded there pre-The Harder They Come.

Gained an appreciation for Arthur Alexander, one of Fame's early recording artists who was covered by The Beatles & Rolling Stones on early records.

Growing up in the Montgomery area, I would hear older people get excited that Clarence Carter or Bobby Moore & The Rhythm Aces playing some shitty bar or wedding party or whatever. In hindsight, I would have been pumped to see that. Bobby Moore's dead now, so I missed the boat. I knew who Clarence Carter was, but my knowledge of his career was only "Strokin'" deep. Slip Away is a great fucking song. Patches & Snatching it Back are damn good too.

One thing that was weird though, is they implied that Wilson Pickett was from somewhere far away. They start off talking about Carter, Alexander, & Sledge being the local boys, then they talk about how they started expanding beyond just the Alabama natives, and they illustrate that with an anecdote about Wilson Pickett getting off the plane and noting the cotton fields everywhere and being taken aback by it. Motherfucker, I know for a fact you're from Prattville, and I also know for a fact it was like at least 50% cotton fields in the 60s.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, check it out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Muscle Shoals
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »
I know for a fact I'm  gonna tell Wilson you called him a motherfucker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »
Just more of his his racist tendencies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »

Yeah well, Wilson is gonna run over that little Sally with his mustang!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
I'm just glad that I'm not the only one that can see this.  I'm watching him. I will always watch him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 02:50:30 PM »
I'm just glad that I'm not the only one that can see this.  I'm watching him. I will always watch him.
See the violence inherent in the system.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »
See the violence inherent in the system.
Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »
Good luck. That motherfucker died like 10 years ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:04:17 AM »
Chizad, you should read up a little more on it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAME_Studios
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1437161
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_Shoals_Sound_Studio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Muscle_Shoals_Rhythm_Section

From Wiki

Session musician

Allman's playing on the two Hour Glass albums and an Hour Glass session in early 1968 at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama had caught the ear of Rick Hall, owner of FAME. In November 1968 Hall hired Allman to play on an album with Wilson Pickett. Allman's work on that album, Hey Jude (1968), got him hired as a full-time session musician at Muscle Shoals and brought him to the attention of a number of other musicians, such as Eric Clapton, who later said, "I remember hearing Wilson Pickett's 'Hey Jude' and just being astounded by the lead break at the end. I had to know who that was immediately—right now."

Allman's performance on "Hey Jude" blew away Atlantic Records producer and executive Jerry Wexler when Hall played it over the phone for him. Wexler immediately bought Allman's recording contract from Hall and wanted to use him on sessions with all sorts of Atlantic R&B artists. While at Muscle Shoals, Allman was featured on releases by a number of artists, including Clarence Carter, King Curtis, Aretha Franklin, Laura Nyro, Wilson Pickett, Otis Rush, Percy Sledge, Johnny Jenkins, Boz Scaggs, Delaney & Bonnie and jazz flautist Herbie Mann. Shortly after he recorded the lead break in "Hey Jude", he recorded all of the lead guitar in Boz Scaggs' "Loan Me a Dime".
Formation of The Allman Brothers Band

The limits of full-time session playing frustrated Allman. The few months in Muscle Shoals were by no means a waste, however; besides meeting the great artists and other industry professionals with whom he was working, Allman had rented a small, secluded cabin on a lake and spent many solitary hours there refining his playing. Perhaps most significantly, Allman got together with R&B and jazz drummer Jaimoe Johanson, who came to meet Allman at the urging of Otis Redding's manager, Phil Walden, who by now was managing Allman and wanted to build a three-piece band around him. Allman and Jaimoe got Chicago-born bassist Berry Oakley to come up from Florida and jam as a trio, but Berry was committed to his rock band with guitarist Dickey Betts, the Second Coming, and returned south.

Getting fed up with Muscle Shoals, in March Allman took Jaimoe with him back to Jacksonville, Florida, where they moved in with Butch Trucks. Soon a jam session of these three plus Betts, Oakley, and Reese Wynans took place and forged what all present recognized as a natural, or even magical, bond. With the addition of brother Gregg, called back from Los Angeles to sing and replace Wynans on keyboards, at the end of March 1969, the Allman Brothers Band was formed.

I have a picture of a check that was in the Allman Bros Museum made out to Duane from FAME.  Tons of artist are listed in those wiki links and npr link that recorded in the Shoals.   Also look up Eddie Hinton and the ups and downs of his life.  An amazing and tragic story.   Lots of good history from that place.

Mrs. AUT1 is related to Spooner Oldham.  His daughter and Mrs.AUT1 were really good friends growing up.  They lived down the road from each other and were in the same grade.  They aren't close anymore since she moved to England with her husband......anywho, Spooner sent us an invitation to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame in 08 for his lifetime achievement award.  After the ceremony he and some of the others from "The Swampers" (Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section) sat around and told tales of recording in the studios, some of the artist they recorded with and talked about old times.  It was a pretty cool thing to hear those guys talk about recording and touring.  I knew there had been several artist work out of that studio but not until we went to that event.  Amazing how many people recorded there.  If you ever saw Spooner around town you would think he couldn't play a radio, much less piano and organ.  He is a really cool guy that is down to earth.  We see him at the grocery store and the local diner from time to time and he always makes it a point to come talk to Mrs.AUT1.  I wish he liked her enough to give us invites to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.   He now mostly fishes, smokes cigarettes and nips on whiskey while doing a little studio work. 
/notsocoolstorybro

Also, some of my favorite recent artist got their start in the Shoals....Drive-By Truckers, Jason Isbell, Civil Wars, and The Alabama Shakes.  If you go to any of the local bars you can see a lot of talent that is trying to make it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:16:09 AM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:26:58 AM »

From Wiki

I have a picture of a check that was in the Allman Bros Museum made out to Duane from FAME.  Tons of artist are listed in those wiki links and npr link that recorded in the Shoals.   Also look up Eddie Hinton and the ups and downs of his life.  An amazing and tragic story.   Lots of good history from that place.

Mrs. AUT1 is related to Spooner Oldham.  His daughter and Mrs.AUT1 were really good friends growing up.  They lived down the road from each other and were in the same grade.  They aren't close anymore since she moved to England with her husband......anywho, Spooner sent us an invitation to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame in 08 for his lifetime achievement award.  After the ceremony he and some of the others from "The Swampers" (Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section) sat around and told tales of recording in the studios, some of the artist they recorded with and talked about old times.  It was a pretty cool thing to hear those guys talk about recording and touring.  I knew there had been several artist work out of that studio but not until we went to that event.  Amazing how many people recorded there.  If you ever saw Spooner around town you would think he couldn't play a radio, much less piano and organ.  He is a really cool guy that is down to earth.  We see him at the grocery store and the local diner from time to time and he always makes it a point to come talk to Mrs.AUT1.  I wish he liked her enough to give us invites to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.   He now mostly fishes, smokes cigarettes and nips on whiskey while doing a little studio work. 
/notsocoolstorybro

Also, some of my favorite recent artist got their start in the Shoals....Drive-By Truckers, Jason Isbell, Civil Wars, and The Alabama Shakes.  If you go to any of the local bars you can see a lot of talent that is trying to make it.
This is a cool story. I saw Spooner perform one time at something for Buddy Buie. He's not only a great musician and songwriter, he had great stories too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »
This is a cool story. I saw Spooner perform one time at something for Buddy Buie. He's not only a great musician and songwriter, he had great stories too.

I would have like to seen that show. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »
Well, that do be where the Swampers at!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »

From Wiki

/notsocoolstorybro

all of what this guy said. Muscle Shoals teh roxxers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
/notsocoolstorybro

That is awesome. Spooner was prominently featured in the doc.

I downloaded this album:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Fame-Studios-Story-1961-73/dp/B005LOIEM6

In addition to being the session organist on all those tracks, he had a couple of his own bands. Spooner & The Spoons and also Spooner's Crowd. Each has a track on that CD.

Yeah, I'm well aware of all of those guys. Have everything all of them have done.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »

I downloaded this album:

In addition to being the session organist on all those tracks, he had a couple of his own bands. Spooner & The Spoons and also Spooner's Crowd. Each has a track on that CD.
Yeah, I'm well aware of all of those guys. Have everything all of them have done.
and don't have a receipt for any of it
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »

I downloaded this album:

I am probably going to download the documentary tomorrow night and give it a watch.  I have that box set you linked to.  What I posted above about Duane Allman and forgot to mention was that if not for his time in the Shoals and hooking up with Jamoie and having Otis Redding's manager hearing him in the studio there may have never been an Allman Brothers as we know it. 

Side note.  Patterson Hood's dad David was also one of the founding members of the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section.  Patterson and his dad apparently didn't get along too well.  I was reading in an interview where Patterson said it was a long time and not to long ago on his solo project that he had the real approval of his dad.  Spooner also toured and recorded with the Truckers on The Dirt Underneath Tour and for Brighter Than Creations Dark album. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 10:37:53 PM »
I am probably going to download the documentary tomorrow night and give it a watch.  I have that box set you linked to.  What I posted above about Duane Allman and forgot to mention was that if not for his time in the Shoals and hooking up with Jamoie and having Otis Redding's manager hearing him in the studio there may have never been an Allman Brothers as we know it. 
All covered in the movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »
All covered in the movie.

I remember seeing this:

and now I am wondering how I missed not watching this.  Looking forward to it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
Chad look up Eddie Floyd too. From Montgomery. Still lives there I think. Had a string of hits with Stax out of Memphis and did some work at Muscle Shoals. Was also BFF with Pickett until he died. Good stuff indeed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »

I downloaded this album:

What I can't understand is how you seem to appreciate black music and athleticism; yet are so insensitive to the plight of the African American in every other walk of life.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions