Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Good Old Days

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The Good Old Days
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:55 AM »
Bored. Watched an episode of March Game 75 and also an episode of Miami Vice.

Ben Stiller played a guido hustler with gold chains on Vice. Best work he's ever done.

Sonny complained because a soft drink cost 75 cents.

Meanwhile over on match game there was a steady stream of smarmy racist innuendo. I miss the days when people could just joke openly.

Question: Dr Frankenstein made some changes to his lair. He replaced Igor the Hunchback with a <blank>.
Contestant answered "A Wetback".  And nobody gasped or filed a lawsuit.

Later Gene told a black panelist that if she didn't hurry up with her answer he was gonna put her in the back of the bus.  Everybody laughed. Say that today and watch the protest Jesse and Al organize.

Later gene was complaining about a light being out and while standing near the black panelist he commented "it's dark over here."  The panelist asked if she was gonna have to call the NAACP. Laughs all around.

What happened to being that kind of general sense of ease with it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: The Good Old Days
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »
You serious, Clark?

Ever wonder why it's only the privileged old white men that pine for the "good old days?"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:14:49 AM »
You serious, Clark?

Very serious.

She was black. And it was okay to make jokes about it. She did. People joked about Louisa Moritz not knowing the language. About Fannie Flagg being a redneck. Charles makes sly gay jokes. Nobody got offended. No Oprah specialness needed.  Nobody had to issue sham apologies. Sensitivity training wasn't required. Nobody gets fired. People are open and said whatever occurred to them. Didn't hide things.

Dang right it was better then.

Caught half a Starsky and Hutch a couple of days ago too. Pimp brother was puffing on weed and calling people the *oh the horror* n-word too.

Relaxed is better. Today is ridiculous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
I won't speak for them, but we have a couple of posters here that are Hispanic.  You'd feel comfortable and at ease throwing "wetback" around in their presence?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:27:38 AM »
I won't speak for them, but we have a couple of posters here that are Hispanic.  You'd feel comfortable and at ease throwing "wetback" around in their presence?

We've got some damn spics on here?  Now, that's a game changer.  Next thing you know, the Jews and chinks'll be crawling all over the board.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:29:35 AM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
We've got some damn spics on here?  Now, that's a game changer.  Next thing you know, the Jews and chinks'll be crawling all over the board.

Look here, we'll take the blacks and the chinks, but we won't take the Irish!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
Look here, we'll take the blacks and the chinks, but we won't take the Irish!

They drink too much. Too much cost involved.

I like stereotypes. All of them. I find it funny when black comedians make white jokes too. Equal opportunity offending is the way to go. Everyone has to be able to poke fun at themselves at some point. Were too damn sensitive. Watching Sanford and Son, All in the Family and George Jefferson is classic shit. All kinds of stereotype humor on those 3 and it was friggin hilarious because it was true for the most part.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 01:28:19 PM »

Not today because everybody has a bug up their ass.  I think that's stupid. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
Not today because everybody has a bug up their ass.  I think that's stupid.

Ah, poor K, mean old society is stifling his slur game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »
Ah, poor K, mean old society is stifling his slur game.

It's not a slur.  That's the point. It's BECOME a slur because people are so freaking sensitive. 

I find the sensitivity fraudulent and the PC face people put on disingenuous.

Call a spade a spade. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 01:42:22 PM »
It's not a slur.  That's the point. It's BECOME a slur because people are so freaking sensitive. 

Call a spade a spade.

I find it fraudulent that you would attempt to define what does or does not offend an entire group to which you do not belong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »

Call a spade a spade.

I agree with the people are too sensitive thing, I was with you up until this.  They are slurs, the same way honkey is.  They were created by a generation mean't to put people down, they are insults. 

The fact that you, me or anyone else were to find them funny, doesn't make them not slurs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »
Who you callin' honkey, cracka?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »
I find it fraudulent that you would attempt to define what does or does not offend an entire group to which you do not belong.

I didn't do that at all.  No definition of anything. I just find all the "outrage" over what somebody says, followed by the (clearly bogus) apology asinine. 

Paula Deen, who I think is an absolute idiot, is crucified and her livelihood threatened because she may or may not have said the dreaded "n" word 20 years ago.  Oh. the. horror. Burn her at the stake. 

And while you're at it burn pretty much everybody -- of every color -- who was alive in the 70s and 80s. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
Two black girls at Jeff Davis HS nicknamed me saltine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 02:02:38 PM »
I didn't do that at all.  No definition of anything. I just find all the "outrage" over what somebody says, followed by the (clearly bogus) apology asinine. 

Paula Deen, who I think is an absolute idiot, is crucified and her livelihood threatened because she may or may not have said the dreaded "n" word 20 years ago.  Oh. the. horror. Burn her at the stake. 

And while you're at it burn pretty much everybody -- of every color -- who was alive in the 70s and 80s.

You attempted to re-define "slur."

Grumble...Grumble...dang kids...lawn...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »
I agree with the people are too sensitive thing, I was with you up until this.  They are slurs, the same way honkey is.  They were created by a generation mean't to put people down, they are insults. 

The fact that you, me or anyone else were to find them funny, doesn't make them not slurs.

You think it bothers me for somebody to call me a honkey?  I could not care less. Cracker, whitey, ghost, whatever.  They're only "slurs" if you allow them to be. 

People are simply too sensitive.

The only point here was that things seemed so much more pleasant when people of all persuasions were able to laugh with, at and about each other without someone pulling a Reverend Al Sharpton outrage because of it. 

There was no animosity on this old show and there was genuine affection and respect for the different people on it as expressed in the humor and nobody being afraid that the next syllable was going to get them sued. 

The contestants kissed the panelists, the host kissed everybody, there was hugging and leering. 

One of the contestants had a sequin butterfly bedazzled on the front of her shirt.  When she was clapping or whatever somebody made a comment about the butterfly's wings flapping.  Do that today and she's filing a sexual harassment suit. 

It wasn't so tight ass like it is now and ... well... they seemed to be having a lot more fun.  That seems better to me than the guard-every-word-lest-you-be-forced-to-write-a-fake-apology society we have today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 02:24:44 PM »
You think it bothers me for somebody to call me a honkey?  I could not care less. Cracker, whitey, ghost, whatever.  They're only "slurs" if you allow them to be. 

The fact that it may not bother you still doesn't mean it isn't a slur.  A slur is an attempt to put someone down in this case for the color of their skin.  It is a slur from the giver, not from the receiver.  But you know all this.

Again I agree that people are overly sensitive. However, the fact that it offends some is good enough reason in my opinion not to do it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »

People are simply too sensitive.

The only point here was that things seemed so much more pleasant when people of all persuasions were able to laugh with, at and about each other without someone pulling a Reverend Al Sharpton outrage because of it. 

There was no animosity on this old show and there was genuine affection and respect for the different people on it as expressed in the humor and nobody being afraid that the next syllable was going to get them sued. 

The contestants kissed the panelists, the host kissed everybody, there was hugging and leering. 

One of the contestants had a sequin butterfly bedazzled on the front of her shirt.  When she was clapping or whatever somebody made a comment about the butterfly's wings flapping.  Do that today and she's filing a sexual harassment suit. 

It wasn't so tight ass like it is now and ... well... they seemed to be having a lot more fun.  That seems better to me than the guard-every-word-lest-you-be-forced-to-write-a-fake-apology society we have today.

They were only stereo-types then. And every race had them. Then the NAACP started taking everything as an insult and white guilt took over.  Kaos did not redefine slur, the NAACP did that for you and you allowed it. Of course there were a few words that were derogatory, but nothing that Kaos referred to in his original post. You guilty whites brought up all of the rest.

And his original post was spot on. We did not have all of the racist BS in the 70s and early 80s as there is today. We all knew how to laugh and get along. If you beat into a minority that they are always being denigrated, the denigration becomes the norm, whether it is true or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.