Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Good Old Days

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: The Good Old Days
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »
They were only stereo-types then. And every race had them. Then the NAACP started taking everything as an insult and white guilt took over.  Kaos did not redefine slur, the NAACP did that for you and you allowed it. Of course there were a few words that were derogatory, but nothing that Kaos referred to in his original post. You guilty whites brought up all of the rest.

And his original post was spot on. We did not have all of the racist BS in the 70s and early 80s as there is today. We all knew how to laugh and get along. If you beat into a minority that they are always being denigrated, the denigration becomes the norm, whether it is true or not.

Somehow racial stereotypes are better than slurs?

Old white guys here just fucking hate the erosion of their privilege to spout off at will, apparently.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »
The fact that it may not bother you still doesn't mean it isn't a slur.  A slur is an attempt to put someone down in this case for the color of their skin.  It is a slur from the giver, not from the receiver.  But you know all this.

Again I agree that people are overly sensitive. However, the fact that it offends some is good enough reason in my opinion not to do it.

I say screw them.  Not a good enough reason.

You know what offends me?  A fucking tomato. I hate the way they look.  So from now on, I want every restaurant to remove every tomato in the place they all have to go because I'm offended.

You know what else offends me? Country music. I find it lowbrow and lacking in redeeming social value. I'm offended. It must be banned. Immediately.

Guess what else offends me? The Olympics.  Get rid of it.  Off my TV now.  Cancel the whole thing.

Being "offended" isn't good enough. 

My one and only point here was that it was strange and a little liberating to see people unafraid to enjoy each other's differences and be able to poke fun at them all on this 40-year old show because no one was worried about some idiot scandalizing every move they made and every word they uttered. I'm not trying to redefine anything or take over the world.  Just making an observation. 

I personally think we cringe far too often at the wrong thing today (some random word or action) while we shrug at things that should really matter. We're so desensitized to violence and perversion that we hardly notice either any more.  My kid was bored by the horror movies that were so shocking back in the day. She sees as much gore on Law and Order or Criminal Minds than they showed on Friday the 13th or Halloween.

So make a big rainbow flag waving issue out of it.  I'll continue to enjoy Match Game for its openness.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
Somehow racial stereotypes are better than slurs?

Old white guys here just fucking hate the erosion of their privilege to spout off at will, apparently.

White guilt rules the day. Again.

We are speaking of our memory of those days and of now.

We were not taught white guilt.

We were just labeled racists because that is what the liberals told you to call it.

For us, it was not racism. It was living together without all of the supposed issues of today.

And we laughed at each other without being racist.

Now, only non-white comedians are allowed to do this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »
White guilt rules the day. Again.

We are speaking of our memory of those days and of now.

We were not taught white guilt.

We were just labeled racists because that is what the liberals told you to call it.

For us, it was not racism. It was living together without all of the supposed issues of today.

And we laughed at each other without being racist.

Now, only non-white comedians are allowed to do this.

What you say is true. 

Jesse Jackson and his division of the Civil Rights Movement co-opted the entire thing when King was murdered (which I believe to this day Jackson engineered).  For Jesse, the movement became more about empowering HIM and less about empowering a people. To do so, he had to become a champion of the oppressed and to foster that he (and his people) created convenient oppression.

In the history of the human race there has never been a societal change of that magnitude that came about in such a miniscule amount of time.  If you look at where things were in 1960 and then looked again in 1970 you'd think centuries had passed.  But that wasn't enough for the good Reverend.  People getting along tolerably well didn't fill his coffers.  He thrives on strife and has sewn discontent with reckless abandon.  And sadly it was his strident (minority) voice which became viewed as the voice of a people.

But that's a lesson for another day. 

I'm gonna go watch Sanford and Son. Because it's funny when they make fun of Mexicans.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 02:47:54 PM »
What you say is true. 

Jesse Jackson and his division of the Civil Rights Movement co-opted the entire thing when King was murdered (which I believe to this day Jackson engineered).  For Jesse, the movement became more about empowering HIM and less about empowering a people. To do so, he had to become a champion of the oppressed and to foster that he (and his people) created convenient oppression.

In the history of the human race there has never been a societal change of that magnitude that came about in such a miniscule amount of time.  If you look at where things were in 1960 and then looked again in 1970 you'd think centuries had passed.  But that wasn't enough for the good Reverend.  People getting along tolerably well didn't fill his coffers.  He thrives on strife and has sewn discontent with reckless abandon.  And sadly it was his strident (minority) voice which became viewed as the voice of a people.

But that's a lesson for another day. 

I'm gonna go watch Sanford and Son. Because it's funny when they make fun of Mexicans.

I'm gonna drink some Champipple in honor of this occasion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
I say screw them.  Not a good enough reason.

You know what offends me?  A fucking tomato. I hate the way they look.  So from now on, I want every restaurant to remove every tomato in the place they all have to go because I'm offended.

You know what else offends me? Country music. I find it lowbrow and lacking in redeeming social value. I'm offended. It must be banned. Immediately.

Guess what else offends me? The Olympics.  Get rid of it.  Off my TV now.  Cancel the whole thing.

Being "offended" isn't good enough. 

My one and only point here was that it was strange and a little liberating to see people unafraid to enjoy each other's differences and be able to poke fun at them all on this 40-year old show because no one was worried about some idiot scandalizing every move they made and every word they uttered. I'm not trying to redefine anything or take over the world.  Just making an observation. 

I personally think we cringe far too often at the wrong thing today (some random word or action) while we shrug at things that should really matter. We're so desensitized to violence and perversion that we hardly notice either any more.  My kid was bored by the horror movies that were so shocking back in the day. She sees as much gore on Law and Order or Criminal Minds than they showed on Friday the 13th or Halloween.

So make a big rainbow flag waving issue out of it.  I'll continue to enjoy Match Game for its openness.
Now you are just being overly dramatic.

You know damn well and good what those "slurs" or "racial stereotypes" meant and what they were about.  They were used to put a race of people down...whatever race you want.

Again open are not doesn't make it not a slur and just because they accepted it back then doesn't make it right.  It's called progress towards being a human being.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 03:08:58 PM »
It's called progress towards being a human being.

On that we shall disagree.

I see it as one more step toward becoming a socially-engineered robot who only speaks in government-approved, non-offensive terms. 

Can't we all just get along?  I say NO! Because when we all get along, nothing will ever be accomplished. 

I believe in Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington. The best decisions are made when men disagree and feel free to express that disagreement. When you limit expression you limit creativity. 

First Amendment!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
On that we shall disagree.

I see it as one more step toward becoming a socially-engineered robot who only speaks in government-approved, non-offensive terms. 

Can't we all just get along?  I say NO! Because when we all get along, nothing will ever be accomplished. 

I believe in Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington. The best decisions are made when men disagree and feel free to express that disagreement. When you limit expression you limit creativity. 

First Amendment!!

See again hyperbole for the sake of it.  Now you are way off your original topic, which I again agree with you on that the world is in a state of pussification.

It isn't about getting along with everyone, its about judging someone immediately because of the color of their skin.   

I hate Obama and it sure has nothing to do with his skin color.  In fact he should be disgraced for the fact that he is the first black president.   People are going to continue to disagree, that we can agree on. ;)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 03:18:25 PM »
See again hyperbole for the sake of it.  Now you are way off your original topic, which I again agree with you on that the world is in a state of pussification.

It isn't about getting along with everyone, its about judging someone immediately because of the color of their skin.   

I hate Obama and it sure has nothing to do with his skin color.  In fact he should be disgraced for the fact that he is the first black president.   People are going to continue to disagree, that we can agree on. ;)

Sorry. A flag fell down and wrapped me in it. 

What does "judging" have to do with anything?  I watched an old show.  Thought it was great people weren't self conscious about everything and had the capacity to laugh at themselves and at others without reservation.  To be quite honest it looked to me as if they were A LOT less racist/sexist/offensive or whatever because there was none of the underlying tension that permeates everything today.   

Others here just went on a rainbow rampage.  They'd probably like Charles Nelson Reilly if they watched the show. 

And FWIW?  You make judgments on what you see.  It's impossible not to.  To pretend otherwise is ridiculous. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »
What does "judging" have to do with anything?

Ask the Russian judge.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
I am not offended by slurs but I must admit I get upset with "big dick" comments and jokes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
I am not offended by slurs but I must admit I get upset with "big dick" comments and jokes.

Well. It really isn't nice when somebody lies about you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »
This is Big Richard from Match Game.

I don't think he gets enough credit for inventing "duck face"

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »
This is Big Richard from Match Game.

I don't think he gets enough credit for inventing "duck face"

He used to make me uncomfortable when he hosted Family Fued. The way he made out with those women made me uncomfortable as a 10 year old...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 09:27:18 AM »
He used to make me uncomfortable when he hosted Family Fued. The way he made out with those women made me uncomfortable as a 10 year old...

Easily explained since you obviously had not come out at that point.

That man was a legend!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
Easily explained since you obviously had not come out at that point.

That man was a legend!

True...I kept thinking that one of the women's husbands were going to deck him...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »

I remember thinking that if his lips ever came near me, I would turn my head.  Nasty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »
I remember thinking that if his lips ever came near me, I would turn my head.  Nasty.

But you would not have sued him, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions