Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Birmingham is Closed

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Birmingham is Closed
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
It was so damn sunny here and I forgot my sunglasses, then the car got hot and I had to turn on the AC so I wouldn't sweat.  Almost hit an old lady with a walker.

Not only that, your diamond shoes are too tight and your wallet is too small for your hundreds.

Now tell us about your nuclear science classes and the teacher with dark glasses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »
My snow day....reposted from the book faces...

Blizz-o-logue 2014: I'm sure my story is similar to many, probably more blessed than many too. Left work in Centreville @ 10am with plans to meet brother for lunch, then go to Brookwood hospital to visit mom. All good until I hit Alabaster. One hour from Hwy 119 at 31 to Arby's promenade where I met up with Shelley to eat. Kicked out of there so they could close at 1pm. Down to see if Hwy 26 to the back entrance to Ballantrae was passable. Hwy 26 closed. Stopped at the Chevron at Hwy 31 and Shelby Co. 26. Picked up by Greg Crews, neighbor, in his 4WD @2pm. He left the comfort of his warm home to get his wife, who was in Hoover at the Super Target, at Hwy 150 and 459. Agreed to let us ride too. Got to his wife, Stacy at 5pm via a most winding route including I65, Riverchase Pkwy, Hwy 31, and Hwy 150, all littered with vehicles and people on foot. Started back. Stopped at Racetrack at Valleydale and 31 at 8pm for fuel for both vehicle and occupants. Decide that the way Greg came out was too hilly (and roads closed), and elect to go to Hwy 11 in Chelsea to cut across to the back entrance to Ballantrae. Wind up having to go all the way down to 280 because back roads blocked by massive car wrecks and abandonments. Arrive home at 3:45am. In the time we were in the truck we could have driven to Orange Beach and back on a good day, but just went from Alabaster, to Hoover, and back to Pelham. Blessings and gratitude list for the day: Neither Shelley or I had a wreck. Neither of us had to abandon our cars on the road. They are parked in a safe lot. Both of us warm, fed, hydrated, and safely riding in a vehicle with a friend who was most giving of his time and resources, and took great pains to not take any chances with our safety to hurry, and got us home safely. And though we didn't need it, thanks to all the guys out on ATVs helping folks in distress. My mom, Shelley's mom, and my brother were all in safe, warm places. My daughter Taylor too, though stranded at VHHS, and not all that happy about it, yet warm, dry and fed. Lots to be thankful for.

The Wx-men fucked this up.  Don't care about the excuses.  This was an epic failure that cost untold amounts of money, endangered lives and property, and I'm sure resulted in death and injury.  Our "preparation" in these parts is being forewarned and staying home/off the roads.  It's doesn't make economic sense to have the necessary resources in place (trucks/sand/salt etc) for once in a generation events like this.   People bitch a little about needless closings for false alarms, but nobody really gets hurt badly.  To err this way is senselessly dangerous to life, limb, and property and ultimately will cost shitloads more than had we closed everything down for the day and nothing happened. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »
Exactly.  I feel like part of this failure stems from a few weeks ago when they delayed school because it was cold.  Now we get this forecast - even if it was just for a light "dusting" - and the state said, "Fuck that.  We're not going puss out like we did a few weeks ago.  School's in session!" 

Just cancel school whenever there's a chance of snow ESPECIALLY when the temperatures are supposed to be below 32 for multiple days. 

And I'm sure the students and teachers will bitch and disagree, but if you must, bring back the weather make up holidays which they removed from many school calendars or make the kids go on Saturday. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »
Exactly.  I feel like part of this failure stems from a few weeks ago when they delayed school because it was cold.  Now we get this forecast - even if it was just for a light "dusting" - and the state said, "Fuck that.  We're not going puss out like we did a few weeks ago.  School's in session!" 

I feel like this is what happened. People bitched like hell that school closed over a bit of cold. They had to find daycare, etc..

Now look at what that attitude has caused. Bitch if you do. Bitch if you don't.

Toughen up people. Be responsible for yourself. To close or not to close was a 50/50 shot. Most everybody got it wrong (except Autauga county).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
I feel like this is what happened. People bitched like hell that school closed over a bit of cold. They had to find daycare, etc..

Now look at what that attitude has caused. Bitch if you do. Bitch if you don't.

Toughen up people. Be responsible for yourself. To close or not to close was a 50/50 shot. Most everybody got it wrong (except Autauga county).

Bitching isn't the issue.  It's the end result.  If the end result is a little bitching with little or no harm beyond minor inconvenience, then it's all ok.  This type of misinformation is costly.  I can be responsible for myself, but if misinformation causes people to make decision for themselves, or have others make decisions for them (the boss man) that puts them in peril because they didn't have the proper information to make a decision for themselves.  I took care of me and mine, but would have done so differently had I had the proper information.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »
Bitching isn't the issue.  It's the end result.  If the end result is a little bitching with little or no harm beyond minor inconvenience, then it's all ok.  This type of misinformation is costly.  I can be responsible for myself, but if misinformation causes people to make decision for themselves, or have others make decisions for them (the boss man) that puts them in peril because they didn't have the proper information to make a decision for themselves.  I took care of me and mine, but would have done so differently had I had the proper information.   

And yet meteorology is such an exact science.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
Hope all of you are safe. I've been quite busy since yesterday p.m. I guess the only way to explain it is that I've been selflessly saving peoples lives.

It all started with a bus load of kids on I65. As you are aware, the conditions were and are treacherous.  The bus skidded into an embankment and  I ripped off my shirt to make bandages and hand carried each of them back to the roadway so that they could be transported to safety. My muscle ripped pecs, biceps and abdominals were scratched and bleeding from the slivers of ice falling from the trees and the briars.

"You are my hero, WT." I heard it more times than I care to remember. I don't want to be a hero. I only want to bring these people to safety. I would rather be wrapped up in my blankey at home watching Dan Patrick but I can't rest. "I can't rest until I save the others," I kept telling myself in the darkness as I searched. And I searched.

I travelled pedestrian  to save more lives. Many old ladies, some priests and a Hooters chick that I ended up keeping warm until daybreak. Oh the humanity! I have to get back to it. Carry on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 02:51:08 PM »
Similar issue with tornado threats, especially with regard to schools.  Technology now gives us ample warning that threatening weather will be in your area at some point during the day.  Do you cancel school altogether?  Do you try and predict the best time to let the kids out?  Are they safer in school?  Ogre can tell you first hand with the F-5 that hit Enterprise a few years ago.  In that situation, we all knew there were watches throughout the day, but this thing rolled up in a hurry.  The decision was made to keep the kids in school.  I think it was 7 that got killed but keeping them in was 100% the right choice.  The school took a direct hit but had they let the kids out, the casualties would have been astronomical.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 02:52:04 PM »
Hope all of you are safe. I've been quite busy since yesterday p.m. I guess the only way to explain it is that I've been selflessly saving peoples lives.

It all started with a bus load of kids on I65. As you are aware, the conditions were and are treacherous.  The bus skidded into an embankment and  I ripped off my shirt to make bandages and hand carried each of them back to the roadway so that they could be transported to safety. My muscle ripped pecs, biceps and abdominals were scratched and bleeding from the slivers of ice falling from the trees and the briars.

"You are my hero, WT." I heard it more times than I care to remember. I don't want to be a hero. I only want to bring these people to safety. I would rather be wrapped up in my blankey at home watching Dan Patrick but I can't rest. "I can't rest until I save the others," I kept telling myself in the darkness as I searched. And I searched.

I travelled pedestrian  to save more lives. Many old ladies, some priests and a Hooters chick that I ended up keeping warm until daybreak. Oh the humanity! I have to get back to it. Carry on.

That's some fine interwebbing right there. :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 03:02:22 PM »
That's some fine interwebbing right there. :thumsup:
He is far beyond any of the talents displayed on this site.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »
Similar issue with tornado threats, especially with regard to schools.  Technology now gives us ample warning that threatening weather will be in your area at some point during the day.  Do you cancel school altogether?  Do you try and predict the best time to let the kids out?  Are they safer in school?  Ogre can tell you first hand with the F-5 that hit Enterprise a few years ago.  In that situation, we all knew there were watches throughout the day, but this thing rolled up in a hurry.  The decision was made to keep the kids in school.  I think it was 7 that got killed but keeping them in was 100% the right choice.  The school took a direct hit but had they let the kids out, the casualties would have been astronomical.
The thing about being the guy who makes the decision (and I know the guy who made the above decision) is that you are damned if you do or don't--seemingly most times. I would rather err on the side of caution but I have been one of the parents bitching about cancelling school because of icy conditions expected 300 miles a way. It's not easy.

I figured this would be like most of the other times and an over-reation when my kids schools were cancelled yesterday. Turns out they nailed it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

JR4AU

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »
And yet meteorology is such an exact science.

Sarcasm noted.  All the more reason to err on the side of caution.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
The wife got home about an hour ago.  Birmingham can reopen now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »
I blame this all on polar bear vortexes and dinosaur farts.

It is unfathomable to me to consider the complete breakdown of civilization that occurred in a town the size of Birmingham over some snowfall.

Imagine the insanity that will reign when the city is covered with ice because it's so warm that it makes things cold!!

What would really happen if the city suffered a blackout that lasted a few days (which could happen when the weather crazies convince the world that coal should never again be burned).  Would Birmingham descend into a frenzy of looting, shooting, raping and pillaging? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2014, 07:00:42 PM »
Would Birmingham descend into a frenzy of looting, shooting, raping and pillaging?

Or as we call it in Birmingham, Tuesday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:08:52 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2014, 12:05:21 AM »
The state has stepping in and is reimbursing the 30 owners of the towed vehicles.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2014, 04:41:40 AM »
The state has stepping in and is reimbursing the 30 owners of the towed vehicles.

You mean we are having to pay for his kickbacks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »

I'm sure you wouldn't mind if one of those towed cars just so happened to be yours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
Bingo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.