Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Why Country Music Is Awful in 2013

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Why Country Music Is Awful in 2013
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 03:26:58 PM »
Well the boys round here...drinkin that ice cold beer....talkin bout girls....talkin bout trucks....runnin them red dirt roads out kickin up dust.  $$$$   :fu:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »
This documentary encompasses what real country music is about. The inclusive truth. TL,DW but the 1st few minutes and you catch the drift.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »
Don't know about Percy, but this guy's ok.

Darius Rucker was better as Hootie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2014, 04:10:50 PM »
Just watched the Percy Jenkins video. Lulz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »
Music has always evolved. Country music is as country to the youth of today as it was to the youth of yesterday. Even living in the sticks today, kids have access to all kinds of modern inventions, just like some of you city folk.

So its not like all of the songs have to be about living on the farm sexing up the chickens. Youth of today like a variety of music and they like their country music to reflect that.

I personally like the diversity of today's country.

I've heard some of the shit a few of you listen to, so don't lecture anybody else on taste.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2014, 04:22:36 PM »
Music has always evolved. Country music is as country to the youth of today as it was to the youth of yesterday. Even living in the sticks today, kids have access to all kinds of modern inventions, just like some of you city folk.

So its not like all of the songs have to be about living on the farm sexing up the chickens. Youth of today like a variety of music and they like their country music to reflect that.

I've heard some of the shoot a few of you listen to, so don't lecture anybody else on taste.

If you read the article that goes with the original video you'll see that the guy's point was that country today doesn't have any diversity to it.  That's why he made the video.  Every song is about picking up your girl in your truck and riding to a party, that's it.  It's monotonous. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »
Every song is about picking up your girl in your truck and riding to a party, that's it.
Is there really anything more to life?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
Is there really anything more to life?

IKR. "Get in the truck bitch" was my best pickup line....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
Don't know about Percy, but this guy's ok.

Darius Rucker was better as Hootie.

Agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2014, 05:07:43 PM »

I've heard some of the shit a few of you listen to, so don't lecture anybody else on taste.

I have never heard any of it.  Now I have heard southern pop and I don't like most of it, but country music today? 

I would say that 3 Pears by Yoakam last year, but apparently he's not even "country" anymore as it is listed as Americana.  Yoakam has written more country music than most of today's artist can only dream of.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2014, 10:29:38 AM »
If you read the article that goes with the original video you'll see that the guy's point was that country today doesn't have any diversity to it.  That's why he made the video.  Every song is about picking up your girl in your truck and riding to a party, that's it.  It's monotonous.

This^^^ all of it. It's fake as hell and the main objective is to sell sell sell records. That's the big picture here. It isn't to make good or "real folks" music. It's to make something that will sell to 18-25 year olds. That's the antithesis of what country music was originally founded on and what it's supposed to be.  Real people making real music, talking about real shit. That hardly what it is now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »
Heard this today while at lunch......really?  Country?  Seriously?  Sounds like Snaggs dream song.

Also heard this in a co-workers car:

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
Speaking of bad country music and just the music business in general. 

I'm friends with one of the guys that puts together the Alabaster Cityfest.  He said that to get Rodney Atkins as their headliner, they had to pay for 18 holes of golf and an early dinner at Hot & Hot Fish Club.  He arrived to the stage about 45 minutes before the performance and left shortly after he was finished, and they cut him a $35k check.  That was just to him.  They then had to pay the band and others involved in the Rodney Atkins show.

In another tale of ridiculous music business paychecks, a few years ago my friend's band backed up Taylor Hicks at a rich guy's party at The Club in Birmingham.  Hicks who is from Birmingham was in town already and hanging out at someone's house.  He got dressed and ready at the person's house, showed up at The Club 15 minutes before performing, sang for 45 minutes, and they cut him a $20k check. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »

Good statement, because in country's defense, it aint just country music that is bad. Thre is much much worse shit being sold. That's the sad part.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »
There is good stuff out there. And then there are the party songs. Used to be you only got a few of those, "All my rowdy friends are coming over tonight". But now it seems everybody wants the party song. And the music business is powerful. You do what they say or you end up like Rhett Akins...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »
There is good stuff out there. And then there are the party songs. Used to be you only got a few of those, "All my rowdy friends are coming over tonight". But now it seems everybody wants the party song. And the music business is powerful. You do what they say or you end up like Rhett Akins...

Because it SELLS
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »

Yep.

There's a local music minister who was working at a fairly large church in the B'ham area.  He could sing well, could write his own songs, and could adequately manage his worship team.  His ticket to fame?  His looks.  Guy was in his late 20s and was a Mr. GQ. 

He was approached by a major Christian record label who pitched the idea that he could become the next Michael W Smith.  With Smith getting older, they were looking for the next Christian artist that could fill his niche.

Naturally, he was stoked.  They must have really liked the way he sang, the songs he wrote, and the manner he conducted his band.  They must have wanted to pay for advertisements for him and get his name out there. 

Then he met with them at their company office where they told him what he would be doing.  None of his songs would be used.  They had songwriters that would write his songs for him.  He would be required to participate in an exercise regime with a professional fitness trainer and his diet would be monitored.  Gaining weight or refusing to take care of his physical features would violate the stipulations of the contract.  He would be given studio musicians that he most likely would never meet and various musicians would rotate with him as he toured. 

He would write books with the help of a featured author or a ghost writer.  He would be given talking points at various times to construct his character.  He would have zero say in where and when he performed as a manager would conduct all of the business for him. 

But he would be paid well.  Millions most likely.  They would promote him and if his brand took off, he would join the ranks of megastars Chris Tomlin and David Crowder.  He could play to thousands of people, be featured on numerous albums, and experience the lavish lifestyle of the rich and famous. 

And he turned them down.  I don't know how he did it.  I would have at least played the role for five years, but he said no thanks.  Didn't want to accept that his songs weren't good enough, that his musicianship wasn't valued, and that money and fame was the end goal.  Didn't want to sell his soul I guess. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »

I'm friends with one of the guys that puts together the Alabaster Cityfest.  He said that to get Rodney Atkins as their headliner, they had to pay for 18 holes of golf and an early dinner at Hot & Hot Fish Club.  He arrived to the stage about 45 minutes before the performance and left shortly after he was finished, and they cut him a $35k check.  That was just to him.  They then had to pay the band and others involved in the Rodney Atkins show.

In another tale of ridiculous music business paychecks, a few years ago my friend's band backed up Taylor Hicks at a rich guy's party at The Club in Birmingham.  Hicks who is from Birmingham was in town already and hanging out at someone's house.  He got dressed and ready at the person's house, showed up at The Club 15 minutes before performing, sang for 45 minutes, and they cut him a $20k check.

Never known him to do that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2014, 11:26:10 AM »
Never known him to do that.

Sing or play for 45 minutes? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
Sing or play for 45 minutes?

He can sing?

I thought he was just a fancy looking human jukebox that spit out cheesy covers of oldies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE