Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Why Country Music Is Awful in 2013

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Why Country Music Is Awful in 2013
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
I heard this song the other day for the first time from the movie Frozen. You guys heard it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »
I heard this song the other day for the first time from the movie Frozen. You guys heard it?
I had the volume dialed back. What's the name of the tune?  :rolleyes:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
megastars Chris Tomlin and David Crowder. 

We apparently have differing definitions of "megastar".  Never heard of these two.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
We apparently have differing definitions of "megastar".  Never heard of these two.
Pretty sure Christian Music isn't on your list of favorite genres. Ammarite?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »
Pretty sure Christian Music isn't on your list of favorite genres. Ammarite?

True, but a "megastar" transcends his or her genre or industry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »
True, but a "megastar" transcends his or her genre or industry.

I'd say a megastar is one that is widely known by everyone in that particular genre or industry.  Sort of like how not all rock fans like Metallica but all rock fans have heard of Metallica. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

wesfau2

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »
I'd say a megastar is one that is widely known by everyone in that particular genre or industry.  Sort of like how not all rock fans like Metallica but all rock fans have heard of Metallica.

Well, now we have differing opinions on "industry", I suppose.  Because the music biz is the music biz whether you're rocking DC Talk or Cannibal Corpse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
The man's heard of DC Talk...right when you think you know someone.

Although I do somewhat agree. In that genre (which I don't really listen to either), the names that come to mind instantly that most would know (past or present) are: Mikey W Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Amy Grant. I think even people outside of the genre know those names.

Not sure how I knew who Tomlin was but I did...barely. I just knew he was a Christian artist. I will trust THS's analysis that he is good in his genre but I don't really know much about him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
"Country" music had to evolve or die out.  You can make the same case with Nascar.  The good ole country boy drivers and their toothless fans just weren't selling to corporate Murrica anymore so they started changing the face of the sport by marketing the younger, good looking drivers that sponsors wanted pimping their products.  Include Danica Patrick in that mix as well.

Obviously, country music bears little resemblance to what it was even 25 years ago. The industry did the right thing because whether anyone on this board likes what it's become or not, country music is at an all time high in popularity and the money involved is astronomical.  I'm not a big fan of country music but then, I never really was.  But I do recognize that there are some extremely talented artists in the business today and even more importantly for what country music has become, extremely talented performers.

Country music is basically pop, top 40 type tunes with a fiddle or steel guitar thrown in to keep it in that genre.  It is what it is and it's not going back to the days of Johnny Cash, Willie and Waylon and the boys.   And speaking of, I'm trying to figure out just exactly what artists some of you are pining for when you refer to how much you miss "real" country music.  Conway Twitty & the Twitty Birds?  George Jones? He stopped loving her today is definitely in my top 5.  I know most of you, like me, have the whole collection of Statler Brothers 8-Tracks.  Tammy Whynot?  Willie Nelson?  Reba?  Or do you miss watching those Mandrell Sisters on stage?       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
"Country" music had to evolve or die out.  You can make the same case with Nascar.  The good ole country boy drivers and their toothless fans just weren't selling to corporate Murrica anymore so they started changing the face of the sport by marketing the younger, good looking drivers that sponsors wanted pimping their products.  Include Danica Patrick in that mix as well.

Obviously, country music bears little resemblance to what it was even 25 years ago. The industry did the right thing because whether anyone on this board likes what it's become or not, country music is at an all time high in popularity and the money involved is astronomical.  I'm not a big fan of country music but then, I never really was.  But I do recognize that there are some extremely talented artists in the business today and even more importantly for what country music has become, extremely talented performers.

Country music is basically pop, top 40 type tunes with a fiddle or steel guitar thrown in to keep it in that genre.  It is what it is and it's not going back to the days of Johnny Cash, Willie and Waylon and the boys.   And speaking of, I'm trying to figure out just exactly what artists some of you are pining for when you refer to how much you miss "real" country music.  Conway Twitty & the Twitty Birds?  George Jones? He stopped loving her today is definitely in my top 5.  I know most of you, like me, have the whole collection of Statler Brothers 8-Tracks.  Tammy Whynot?  Willie Nelson?  Reba?  Or do you miss watching those Mandrell Sisters on stage?     

I hate that big business rules (ruins) this country sometimes.  Standard of living perks?  Yeah that's great and all.  But sometimes I wonder how much we've sacrificed for handheld computers and air conditioning and multiple grocery stores to choose from.

The History Channel had to become The Pawn Shop channel.  It would have died out.

TLC had to become the Sex Sent Me to the ER and Fruit Fetishes channel.  It would have died out.

The Food Network had to start throwing chain saws at their chefs while they make a meal out of ingredients like bottarga, cow skull, jellied ham and fish testicles.  It would have died out.

A&E had to show Duck Dynasty 24/7.  Would have died out.

Metallica had to cut their hair.  Would have died out.

Clothing stores have to sell cheap threads stitched together in Chinese sweat shops.  Would have died out. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2014, 01:50:17 PM »
I hate that big business rules (ruins) this country sometimes.  Standard of living perks?  Yeah that's great and all.  But sometimes I wonder how much we've sacrificed for handheld computers and air conditioning and multiple grocery stores to choose from.

The History Channel had to become The Pawn Shop channel.  It would have died out.

TLC had to become the Sex Sent Me to the ER and Fruit Fetishes channel.  It would have died out.

The Food Network had to start throwing chain saws at their chefs while they make a meal out of ingredients like bottarga, cow skull, jellied ham and fish testicles.  It would have died out.

A&E had to show Duck Dynasty 24/7.  Would have died out.

Metallica had to cut their hair.  Would have died out.

Clothing stores have to sell cheap threads stitched together in Chinese sweat shops.  Would have died out.

I don't agree with the "it would have died out premise". Define "died out".

As long as people are here who still would have liked it, appreciated, played it, wrote songs...would it have died out really? Maybe not sold millions and millions...but died out? Nah, I don't think so. Which goes back to it all being about the money. I don't think music in its true form should ever be about the money first and foremost. If that had been the rule back in the 40's, 50's or 60's - we would have never seen Elvis, The Beatles, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Hank, Frank Sinatra, Patsy Cline, Bech Boys, Led Zeppelin, Motown, The Stones or a number of other groups. These acts didn't get into the business for the sole purpose of getting rich. They loved the music and the purity of it. As a form of art and expression of real things in real life - no matter the genre.

Now, music is crap, based off shock value, and 'smoke n mirrors' because society has been dumbed down enough to where this is what they want. They don't want intrinsic value and purity and real things. They want to be entertained with filth and low rate entertainment garbage like Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »

I don't either. 

Died out now means "not #1 on the pop charts making millions and millions and millions for executives."  But that's how many businesses in the entertainment industry operate. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »

As long as people are here who still would have liked it, appreciated, played it, wrote songs...would it have died out really? Maybe not sold millions and millions...but died out? Nah, I don't think so. Which goes back to it all being about the money. I don't think music in its true form should ever be about the money first and foremost. If that had been the rule back in the 40's, 50's or 60's - we would have never seen Elvis, The Beatles, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Hank, Frank Sinatra, Patsy Cline, Bech Boys, Led Zeppelin, Motown, The Stones or a number of other groups. These acts didn't get into the business for the sole purpose of getting rich. They loved the music and the purity of it. As a form of art and expression of real things in real life - no matter the genre.

Now, music is crap, based off shock value, and 'smoke n mirrors' because society has been dumbed down enough to where this is what they want. They don't want intrinsic value and purity and real things. They want to be entertained with filth and low rate entertainment garbage like Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus.

I know you get tired of my Isbell suck fest but he said it best in an interview here lately.  All he wanted out of music was to be able to pay a mortagage, keep the electricity on and have fun doing it.  Cares nothing for riches and popularity.  Actually said that is the kiss of death and when you start selling out who you are. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
I know you get tired of my Isbell suck fest but he said it best in an interview here lately.  All he wanted out of music was to be able to pay a mortagage, keep the electricity on and have fun doing it.  Cares nothing for riches and popularity.  Actually said that is the kiss of death and when you start selling out who you are.

He should stop charging for his concerts then and just take up a love offering.   :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2014, 05:33:07 PM »
  And speaking of, I'm trying to figure out just exactly what artists some of you are pining for when you refer to how much you miss "real" country music.  Conway Twitty & the Twitty Birds?  George Jones? He stopped loving her today is definitely in my top 5.  I know most of you, like me, have the whole collection of Statler Brothers 8-Tracks.  Tammy Whynot?  Willie Nelson?  Reba?  Or do you miss watching those Mandrell Sisters on stage?     

I want to see more of this:

You know a song that isn't about a jacked up truck with real good, feel good alcohol under the front seat of my Chevy so I can take my girl down to the riverbank.  Something with a little originality.  Something that I would call traditional country and not southern pop....

or if you are going to play something that sounds like today's country music, try these:

or something that doesn't sound like what I hear on the local "country station"

A love song without all of the above mentioned.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
He should stop charging for his concerts then and just take up a love offering.   :thumsup:

He never said that he didn't want to make money.  I would go ahead and say that a $15 cover for a small venue such as a 300 person capacity at the Crossroads isn't exactly raking it in and could easily be called a love offering.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2014, 05:48:39 PM »
I agree with you AU1. I can't believe some of these country artists haven't said enough is enough.  I refuse to sing another song about loading up a girl in the pick up, 5th of Jack, ride down that old dirt road to.....  Sheezus, it's in the lyrics of 80% of the songs by the male artists.  But I guess as long as people keep eating it up and paying $kwazillions for it...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
I agree with you AU1. I can't believe some of these country artists haven't said enough is enough.  I refuse to sing another song about loading up a girl in the pick up, 5th of Jack, ride down that old dirt road to.....  Sheezus, it's in the lyrics of 80% of the songs by the male artists.  But I guess as long as people keep eating it up and paying $kwazillions for it...

And there is the problem.  The CCTAU's and half the women I know will continue to do so and it will continue to be produced and sold.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bgreene

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »
I blame Obama
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2014, 08:13:54 PM »

Don't agree with this.  I realize there are claims that country has displaced Top 40 but truth be told I don't know a damn soul who listens to country music.  I can't think of a single person me or my kids know who ever listens to it at all.

Taylor Swift, yeah, but that's not country no matter what she says.  It's Donny Osmond plab. 

Beyond that, the glut of cookie cutter cowboys who all look, sound and whine alike will drive it into the ground in short order. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.