Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Gary Danielson on Iron Bowl

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Gary Danielson on Iron Bowl
« on: November 26, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
Iron Bowl analysis by CBS' Gary Danielson: 'Alabama has more cards than Auburn'

Gary Danielson.jpg

Print
Jon Solomon | jsolomon@al.com By  Jon Solomon | jsolomon@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on November 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM, updated November 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Auburn runs Gus Malzahn's hurry-up, no-huddle offense. Alabama possesses Nick Saban's NFL-style blueprint that can win in different ways.

The first winner-take-all Iron Bowl for the SEC West title exemplifies how college football teams can succeed with different methods, said CBS Sports analyst Gary Danielson, who will call Saturday's game between No. 1 Alabama and No. 4 Auburn.

"I think that's kind of the intriguing part of this football game," Danielson said. "Alabama has about six different ways to win and most teams only have one or two paths to win. And I think that's probably the case for this football game. Auburn has one path, and I think their path is unique because of the style and way they run the ball. If you're going to play blackjack, Alabama has more cards than Auburn."

Danielson's two keys to this Iron Bowl: Alabama's experience in big games coupled with the pressure it faces, and which team imposes its will when Auburn tries to run against Alabama.

This is Alabama's eighth game involving two top-10 teams in the past three seasons as the Crimson Tide goes for a third straight national championship. Auburn will be playing its first game involving two top-10 teams since the 2011 BCS Championship Game against Oregon.

Alabama players "almost yawn and say they've had 30 of these games in their career," Danielson said. "They've been through this a lot. Concurrently, the pressure is all on them. Auburn no doubt is playing with house money and they should be the looser team going into the game."

The most compelling matchup figures to be Auburn's physical, downfield running style through different formations against Alabama's disciplined defense. Auburn ranks second in the country in rushing at 320.3 yards per game; Alabama is fourth stopping the run at 91.4 yards.

That matchup is an avenue for one team to control the game and impose its will, Danielson said.

"It does appear to me that Alabama takes so much pride in stopping offenses -- especially stopping teams that can run the ball -- that they get down on themselves as a coaching staff and players if teams are able to run the ball consistently on them," Danielson said.

Danielson said Alabama is uniquely put together to slow Auburn's running game. The blueprint is having defensive linemen who are committed to doing their job and not seek the glory of making tackles in the backfield, he said.

"Auburn is very athletic on the their offensive line and they're very impressive watching them block," Danielson said. "Their offensive tackle (Greg Robinson) is as good as any I've ever seen. They get to the second level. If the Alabama defensive line can keep (linebackers) C.J. Mosley and Trey DePriest clean, Auburn doesn't have a chance."

To prepare for calling Saturday's game, Danielson said he watched a tape of former Tennessee defensive coordinator John Chavis' unit against Malzahn's first Auburn offense in 2009. The reason: The Vols had an elite safety in 2009, Eric Berry.

"You have to have a safety who can tackle (against Auburn)," Danielson said. "You can't be right every time. Alabama has two of the best-tackling safeties in football. There is a wild card of play-action pass. All you have to have is a couple passes hit early, and just like Texas A&M (in its 49-42 loss to Alabama), you get a team that maybe over-adjusts for fear of giving up the big play."

Auburn's defense gives up yards and often tightens in the red zone. The Tigers rank 69th in total defense at 406.9 yards per game, but 14th in red-zone defense. (Alabama ranks 42nd in red-zone offense.)

Because Auburn goes 10 deep with defensive linemen, Danielson believes the Tigers shouldn't be worn down against Alabama's running attack late in the game like most teams.

"They'll be able to take the punishment better than most defensive lines," Danielson said. "They're not big at linebacker. They're small at safety. They do not have big, physical players in the back seven. I can just imagine McCarron turning on that tape and watching how Georgia threw on them and say, 'Coach, we cannot be stopped by them.' It would be going out of character by Alabama and a bit dangerous. All you need is miss a couple throws and a ball bounces off the hands. I'll be curious to see how Alabama attacks."

If Alabama wins, either Missouri or South Carolina would be tough matchups in the SEC Championship Game for the Crimson Tide to reach Pasadena, Danielson said.

"Alabama is going to earn their trip to the national championship," he said. "As comfortable as their schedule was on the front end, the back end is very difficult."

In Danielson's mind, a one-loss Auburn would not jump undefeated Ohio State into the BCS Championship Game, although the Buckeyes could certainly lose a game.

"How can you have the best conference in college football not be represented?" Danielson said. "But I didn't invent the BCS. I don't think that would be fair to Ohio State. I also don't think it would be fair to Florida State if Jameis Winston is declared ineligible (due to the results of an ongoing rape investigation) and some committee or voters decide that we now know the remaining 85 guys are not good enough to play. That would be just as unfair in my mind. Everybody else around that program has earned the right to play for the national championship with or without Jameis Winston."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Gary Danielson on Iron Bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
All I heard while I read that was slurp, slurp, slurp. Garry's sucking on that Saban dick worse than he was last Saturday when he went ahead and said that Alabama has Auburn, then either Mizzo or USCe next for the SEC Championship Game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
Fuck Verne and Gary!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »
Really not much more than another variation of the "Auburn is one dimensional" argument. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
All I heard while I read that was slurp, slurp, slurp. Garry's sucking on that Saban richard worse than he was last Saturday when he went ahead and said that Alabama has Auburn, then either Mizzo or USCe next for the SEC Championship Game.
Verne sucks. Danielson does have good analysis, imo. I don't see him as being a homer. We won't be seen as more than 1 dimensional until we prove that we can move the ball through the air.

I'm thinking that we will need to throw it more than we have in any game this season but I certainly hope that we don't need to. If we do, hopefully JJ can light them up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
Alabama has so many ways they can beat you!  On the scoreboard, on the radio waves on Monday, on articles written years down the line, on programs sold at the spring game...I mean, just because Auburn wins the "game," doesn't mean they've beaten Alabama. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »
Verne sucks. Danielson does have good analysis, imo. I don't see him as being a homer. We won't be seen as more than 1 dimensional until we prove that we can move the ball through the air.

I'm thinking that we will need to throw it more than we have in any game this season but I certainly hope that we don't need to. If we do, hopefully JJ can light them up.

^^^THIS^^^  I think most of Danielson's bad rap is because you rarely get him without Blimp Ass.  I have no problem with real analysis without the homerism.  We're double digit underdogs for a reason and yes, we do come off as one-dimensional when we go for stretches of games throwing less than 10 passes.  That's not a negative.  It's just how we're perceived.

Like many have said, we have stuck with the run because we've done it as good as any in the country.  The wildcard for me is the fact that Malzahn has shown the ability to find ways to move the ball on Lord Saybinz' defenses.  He's already said they have plans and packages for JJ on Saturday so I think we'll see a good bit more play action this weekend.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
I like Cole Cubelic's take on this year's Iron Bowl.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/iron-bowl-2013-the-biggest/

Excerpt:

What qualifies a game as being the biggest? Is it the most meaningful? Most to gain or lose? First time something has happened? Team rankings or records?

Entering Saturday, this will be the biggest Iron Bowl in history. Many people get worked up about the statement for a variety of reasons. Really only three other Iron Bowls are debated as being bigger. One major problem is that a lot of people compare an actual game to how it played out to game-week hype. We have no idea how this game will be determined, who will win or how it will play out. But we do know this: when you align the factors of how and why, this game is more meaningful than any other Iron Bowl; it’s an easy decision.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »
I like Cole Cubelic's take on this year's Iron Bowl.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/iron-bowl-2013-the-biggest/

Excerpt:
Mod's--please take this shit outta my thread. It has nothing to do with Gary Danielson. But, at least it wasn't about the hollow earth theory or Zombies, so I guess it can stay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
Things is, this game is way more important to them(fans) than us, Yes I want to see us win, I want to see us win very badly. We make the SECCG and possibilities of more. But should we not win the day , my life continues, I am disappointed, but move on.

Should they lose not a wife/sister in any trailer park in Alabama is safe on Saturday night.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 04:51:07 PM »
Pizza deliveries around the State will be more than 30 minutes behind on average.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »
Things is, this game is way more important to them(fans) than us, Yes I want to see us win, I want to see us win very badly. We make the SECCG and possibilities of more. But should we not win the day , my life continues, I am disappointed, but move on.

Should they lose not a wife/sister in any trailer park in Alabama is safe on Saturday night.
The biggest difference that I see between the Alabammer fans and most AU people is that Bammers can't imagine losing this game. They think that they are gonna steam roll us on the way to Pasadena.

Most AU folks I know think that we have a legit shot and CAN win but realize that Bama is good.

I really don't think most Bama fans are very concerned about the possibility of Auburn winning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »
The biggest difference that I see between the Alabammer fans and most AU people is that Bammers can't imagine losing this game. They think that they are gonna steam roll us on the way to Pasadena.

Most AU folks I know think that we have a legit shot and CAN win but realize that Bama is good.

I really don't think most Bama fans are very concerned about the possibility of Auburn winning.

Which would be the best part should we win.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
Pizza deliveries around the State will be more than 30 minutes behind on average.

Wal Mart shelves won't be stocked again for weeks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 06:34:17 PM »
Bammers don't stand to make as much money on the trip to Pasadena either. I believe the odds were high again this year for an Auburn trip to the BCS match up. Nice profit for those who played the odds.   #winning

I say we execute to perfection Saturday while a lackluster bama performance makes it even more embarrassing for the turds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
Learn something new every day.  I never knew Gary's last name was Danielson.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
"If you're going to play blackjack, Alabama has more cards than Auburn."

There it is, another media member that acknowledges that uat cheats. One thing Gary isn't thinking about, is the possibility that Auburn hits a Blackjack, while uat is holding "extra cards".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »
"If you're going to play blackjack, Alabama has more cards than Auburn."

There it is, another media member that acknowledges that uat cheats. One thing Gary isn't thinking about, is the possibility that Auburn hits a Blackjack, while uat is holding "extra cards".

I was about to post something similar.  When you play blackjack, if you have more than three cards in front of you, the odds of drawing a bust card go up exponentially with each new card you draw.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 07:01:33 AM »
I was about to post something similar.  When you play blackjack, if you have more than three cards in front of you, the odds of drawing a bust card go up exponentially with each new card you draw.

You have obviously never seen Lurking Tiger give his beatdowns.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 07:32:05 AM »
"It does appear to me that Alabama takes so much pride in stopping offenses -- especially stopping teams that can run the ball -- that they get down on themselves as a coaching staff and players if teams are able to run the ball consistently on them," Danielson said.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions