Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What makes you believe we can compete with Alabama?

What makes you believe we can compete with Alabama?
« on: November 09, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »
Just curious. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: What makes you believe we can compete with Alabama?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
60 minutes. Don't believe the hype!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 11:12:19 PM »
It's at home.

We are the good guys.

Tre Mason.

Nick Marshall.

Fuck them.

Is that enough?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Come Honor Face

• Are you serious??
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:15:03 PM »
If we run the offense fast paced and get on top early, I thinkbit would take them out of their confort zone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"you'll be a winner today, pick a fight with a 4 year old"

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:16:48 PM »
No idea eeyore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »
If we run the offense fast paced and get on top early, I thinkbit would take them out of their confort zone.

I think you're right.  I could see it playing out like the 2009 game.  I want to say we jumped out 14-0 only running the ball. 

If there's one big mistake I could point to tonight in LSU's gameplan, it was running the ball up the middle at a pro-style pace.  Run, run, throw down field. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Come Honor Face

• Are you serious??
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »
It seems like the "pro style" offenses takes a little longer for the hand offs to take place making pressure coming from the d linemen more centered on a point of attack. When we hand off or do zone reads, it opens up a little bit more space to find running lanes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"you'll be a winner today, pick a fight with a 4 year old"

Yoda

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 11:23:10 PM »
Coaching style of Gus.

Bama has holes on defense against the pass, not sure if Marshall can expose those holes with his arm.  I honestly thought that we took the red shirt off Johnson for this game.

We should be able to run on them.

With the the way their O line holds and does not get flagged and as weak as our middle defense is, I'm not sure if we have enough offense.

I'm hoping that the whole Iron Bowl atmosphere inspires the D to somehow play over their head.  If we can hit McCarron repeatedly he will make mistakes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
LSU went full on tard tonight. They left at LEAST 14 points on the field with stupid turnovers that Bammer did not force. 

Again, unless we flat out beat ourselves, I think we are in it to win it. I think Gus has our guys tamped down in terms of keeping it real, keeping their focus. Avoid the tard and you just never know...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 11:50:53 PM »
Bama has holes on defense against the pass, not sure if Marshall can expose those holes with his arm.  I honestly thought that we took the red shirt off Johnson for this game.
Fucking Deion Belue.  Every.  Time.  If Gus is smart, he will exploit that.  He has been a liability in the secondary since last season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 12:10:48 AM »
I think you're right.  I could see it playing out like the 2009 game.  I want to say we jumped out 14-0 only running the ball. 

If there's one big mistake I could point to tonight in LSU's gameplan, it was running the ball up the middle at a pro-style pace.  Run, run, throw down field.
Malzahn stated (to Dari Noka before TGGOTCEP whatever (see you tube) that up the middle is no way to attack Alabama.And of course we can imagine Grant trying to get to the edge with their team speed. That said, if we run 65 plays I look for 30 passing. I think we run the read option (what we do well) to draw them in and mix it up because if the Turds are challenged anywhere, it is in the secondary. IMO it will take one helluva performance by Marshall to beat them both running and throwing. It won't make anybody happy to see us airing it out so much but I trust Gus knows how to get it done. I have no idea what to expect out of our defense up the middle while trying to defend the five wideouts and two TEs working the play action as they do. Just have to outscore them. UGA might give us a slight preview.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 12:28:19 AM »
Malzahn stated (to Dari Noka before TGGOTCEP whatever (see you tube) that up the middle is no way to attack Alabama.And of course we can imagine Grant trying to get to the edge with their team speed. That said, if we run 65 plays I look for 30 passing. I think we run the read option (what we do well) to draw them in and mix it up because if the Turds are challenged anywhere, it is in the secondary. IMO it will take one helluva performance by Marshall to beat them both running and throwing. It won't make anybody happy to see us airing it out so much but I trust Gus knows how to get it done. I have no idea what to expect out of our defense up the middle while trying to defend the five wideouts and two TEs working the play action as they do. Just have to outscore them. UGA might give us a slight preview.

If we lose to UGA, I think it really takes the steam out of us and it could ugly against the turds. If given the chance the dickless wonder runs the score up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 01:18:06 AM »
I think that one of the things that makes AU so dangerous right now is that they have bought into the notion that they can beat anybody.  And I'm not saying they can't.  I expect Malzahn to throw everything, right down to the kitchen sink at Alabama.  AU wants to prove a point, and I doubt the past two beatdowns have left a good taste in their mouths. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jmar

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 06:01:53 AM »
Coaching style of Gus.

Bama has holes on defense against the pass, not sure if Marshall can expose those holes with his arm. I honestly thought that we took the red shirt off Johnson for this game.

We should be able to run on them.

With the the way their O line holds and does not get flagged and as weak as our middle defense is, I'm not sure if we have enough offense.

I'm hoping that the whole Iron Bowl atmosphere inspires the D to somehow play over their head.  If we can hit McCarron repeatedly he will make mistakes.
I think at the time of the decision to remove the redshirt Nick was struggling to connect but moreso because his physical style would keep him nicked up  :rolleyes:  plus several QBs in the league were lost over a two week period. We were entering a portion of the schedule to get him reps and I imagine Gus and Lashlee were looking to Amen Corner thinking we need JJ ready if only for those games rather than have to do it in a desperate against all odds situation or limited physically with another.

IMO our defense is very good on a short field with the angles narrowed down but miserably bad in the open. Alabama ran that same cross last night with different inside receivers on the rt. side numerous times in the first half with no adjustment by Chavous and I think they pull it out for us as well. Their backs remind me more of Jelks/Humphrey than the most recent power types but only Yeldon is the clear recipient of passes which is a key when they opt for play pass. They also seem to like the Kuanjo bros. side which in our case is toward McKinzy with Therezie also in that area. Bell is the deep guy and Norwood the go-to when it really counts. Jus sayin.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 08:30:51 AM »
What makes me think it?

Rocky IV.
David Langner and Bill Newton
Tre Smith
Buster Douglas
Brett Favre (circa 1990)
Houston Nutt in the Swamp
UAB in the Valley
Gamecocks in Oxford, and not the Carolina kind
James Madison
La. Tech
Utah
Jared Zabransky, Drisan James, Jared Rabb, Vinny Perretta, Derek Schouman and Ian Johnson
Eli Manning in a Super Bowl
Tommy Hodson (as much as it makes me sick)

Hundreds of reasons.

Beyond that, we are a much better team than the one that lost to LSU early in the season.  On the flip side, LSU is a much worse team than the one that beat us. They have devolved as we have evolved. 

LSU is a three-loss middle of the pack team now.  They couldn't handle Georgia. Or Ole Miss. They will lose after taking two weeks off to A&M.  Beating them doesn't carry the same cachet it once did.  We play LSU again on a dry field tomorow?  I think we win.

Won't be easy,  but I've seen far too many "invincible" teams in my lifetime. None of them were. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 09:05:29 AM »
What makes me think it?

Rocky IV.
David Langner and Bill Newton
Tre Smith
Buster Douglas
Brett Favre (circa 1990)
Houston Nutt in the Swamp
UAB in the Valley
Gamecocks in Oxford, and not the Carolina kind
James Madison
La. Tech
Utah
Jared Zabransky, Drisan James, Jared Rabb, Vinny Perretta, Derek Schouman and Ian Johnson
Eli Manning in a Super Bowl
Tommy Hodson (as much as it makes me sick)

Hundreds of reasons.

Beyond that, we are a much better team than the one that lost to LSU early in the season.  On the flip side, LSU is a much worse team than the one that beat us. They have devolved as we have evolved. 

LSU is a three-loss middle of the pack team now.  They couldn't handle Georgia. Or Ole Miss. They will lose after taking two weeks off to A&M.  Beating them doesn't carry the same cachet it once did.  We play LSU again on a dry field tomorow?  I think we win.

Won't be easy,  but I've seen far too many "invincible" teams in my lifetime. None of them were.

^^^What he said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
^^^What he said.
What they said, and add a 44-yard game-winner against '01 #1-ranked Florida
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »
I think this is the game that Auburns SEC Special Teams Player of the Week comes from. Corey Grant makes several statements in this game.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:47:35 AM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »
I agree with our little green friend: the oddly-timed insertions into game situations speak to a purpose for Johnson's lost RS. 

I was watching us chew up rushing yardage yesterday and, boom, JJ comes in and throws towards Coates (which is his MO: first play bomb to Coates).  Why abandon the run?  Why get so predictable with JJ's first play? The better question is why isn't Gus trying to balance out the offense? 

I think he's hiding the bulk of the passing playbook as we creep toward the Iron Bowl.  In addition, he's setting up Saban/Smart: lull the opponent to sleep with film of run-heavy gameplans and create the narrative that Auburn HAS to run because they can't throw effectively.

The bama D decides that they simply have to stack the box and Auburn will be put away post haste.  I think this allows a couple of early passing scores and gives Auburn the early lead that will, hopefully, prove to be the difference in the game.

Gus is too smart to get locked into a tendency that's as completely obvious as this run/pass disparity.  He knows that you can't get one dimensional and expect to beat a defense like bama's.  Thus, I have to believe that he's engaged in some strategery.

Edit note: upon review of the box score, Johnson did not attempt a pass yesterday.  I was confused, apparently, by watching the Ark game replay just prior to kickoff.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:46:18 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.