Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Corey Grant TD

Corey Grant TD
« on: September 05, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
What can I say? I just like breaking down the running game (Grant's run is at 43sec if the video doesn't start you there.

http://youtu.be/s1Ctm7oMr-c?t=43s

Formation is the typical balanced spread, split end and slot to either side, running back to the right of the QB.  I'm not familiar with WAshington St's personnel but they appear to be in a 3-4 set with the OLB to the weak side of the offense (but the normal running side out of the shotgun for Auburn) walked up on the line.  The DB's are all playing 8 yards off the ball.

The play is the inverse veer option to the left with the QB acting as the veer dive back and the running back going around the end.  The blocking scheme is a modified power scheme with the right guard (Slade) pulling left and leading to the guard-tackle hole for if the QB keeps.  RT Miller steps down and seals the end on his side (backside of the play), Dismukes at center gets good movement on the nose guard turning him to the backside and moving him down the line, LG Kozan looks to double the NG and go to the backside inside LB but trips and falls and blocks nobody, luckily the LB gets caught up in the junk and can't get to Grant.  LT Robinson does a terrific job locking on to his end and pushing him back 3 yards and sticking with him until well after the ball is past.  Slot to the left is Louis and he blocks the OLB to the outside to keep him from crashing down .  Slade after pulling appears to be looking for the first hat he sees (but ends up blocking nobody).

What's interesting about this play is that it appears to be the playside Inside LB that is the read man on the option.  Nobody blocks him and nobody seems to be assigned to block him.  He immediately steps up into the hole off tackle where Marshall reads him and hands off to Grant around left end.  The LB at this point has taken himself completely out of the play.  The only other player to the playside left unblocked is the CB (WR to that side blocks the SS, who appeared to me to be WSU's best defensive player).  Backside receivers cut across the field to cut off any backside DB's.

Grant makes a move on the DB and blows by the rest of the field. 

Against a good SEC defense this would have been an 5-10 yard gain as neither guard made a block and the DB's were not aggressive in coming up on run support but pure speed can cure a lot of ills.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:14:31 PM by AU_Tiger_2000 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: Corey Grant TD
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »
Something must have gone wrong. At the 1:23 mark Gus looks pissed again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
Two things:

- Grant is a fast mofo

- I love the fact Coach Gus has that fire a HC needs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
Just looking at Ricardo's block tells me that play wouldn't have gone for much against LSU or Alabama. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 04:11:56 PM »
Checked out some of the side videos on the you tube which a lot of them were of Bo.

Could you imagine  Bo and Cam on the same team? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »

Could you imagine  Bo and Cam on the same team?

Yes.

Though I think a Cam and Bo led team would get beat by a Cam and Carlos Rogers led team.  2010 had it all except for a secondary. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole