Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2014 Verbals To Date And Some Questions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
2014 Verbals To Date And Some Questions
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
Just an updated commitment list.  14 to date. In scanning the preseason mags, I noted several SEC teams that that signed a huge number of kids.  Auburn had 22 in this past class.  Some teams off the top of my head signed 30 or more recruits...Ole Miss, Florida and Georgia if memory serves.  I believe TexASS A&M signed 29.  Did they not change the rules after teams like Ole Miss signed 135 a few years ago?  What do they do with the extra recruits?  We've been under the 85 scholly limit for quite a while now but we only sign 22 kids?  Guess I have no clue what the rules are for the number you can sign.   

•RB Kamryn Pettway (5-11/220) Prattville HS, Prattville, AL

•TE Chris Laye (6-5/240) Lambert, Suwanee, GA

•LB Deshaun Davis (6-0/225) Vigor, Mobile, AL

•LB Tre Williams (6-2/230) St. Paul's Episcopal, Mobile, AL

•DB Derrick Moncrief (6-3/225) Mississippi Gulf Coast CC, Perkinston, MS

•DE Justin Thornton (6-5/222) Vigor, Mobile, AL

•TE Jakell Mitchell (6-3/215) Opelika HS, Opelika, AL

•DB Nick Ruffin (6-0/180) St. Pius X, Atlanta, GA

•QB Sean White (6-2/204) University School, Fort Lauderdale, FL

•DE Raashed Kennion (6-6/228) First Coast, Jacksonville, FL

•ATH Stanton Truitt (5-10/185) Monroe Area, Monroe, GA

•DT Devaroe Lawrence (6-3/278) Georgia Military College, Milledgeville, GA

•WR D'haquille Williams (6-3/215) Mississippi Gulf Coast CC, Perkinston, MS

•RB Racean Thomas (5-11/196) Oxford HS, Oxford, AL
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: 2014 Verbals To Date And Some Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
In order to understand the numbers, you must have the formula, a slide rule or scientific calculator. I think that the SEC implemented a limit per class and that was not an NCAA rule. Not certain though. I want to see stars by the recruits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »
In order to understand the numbers, you must have the formula, a slide rule or scientific calculator. I think that the SEC implemented a limit per class and that was not an NCAA rule. Not certain though. I want to see stars by the recruits.

I thought the limit was 25.  Is that the limit on actually granting a scholarship to while the other 38 grayshirt/greenshirt/join-the-process?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:37:14 PM »
I thought the limit was 25.  Is that the limit on actually granting a scholarship to while the other 38 grayshirt/greenshirt/join-the-process?

The SEC rule -- and the national rule started in 2013 -- allows an annual exception for teams to sign more than 25. That is possible if one or more signees can be counted backward toward the previous year's class. There must be spots available in the previous class to do so

How does counting backward work? If a team shows up in the fall and adds, for instance, 20 new initial counters (players) to go with 65 returning players, it would be maxed out at the NCAA limit of 85 scholarships and there would be five initial counters the team didn't use. So Next year they could be allowed to use 30 assuming that those 30 wouldn't put them over the 85 total limit.

Come December and January, the team could add five mid-year enrollees who count back toward the previous class if there are at least five current players whose eligibility ended. The mid-year enrollees could be any combination of junior college and four-year college transfers or early graduates from high school.

If that team brought in a sixth mid-year enrollee, one of those six mid-year enrollees would have to be counted forward, reducing the size of the upcoming signing class from 25 to 24.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
The SEC rule -- and the national rule started in 2013 -- allows an annual exception for teams to sign more than 25. That is possible if one or more signees can be counted backward toward the previous year's class. There must be spots available in the previous class to do so

How does counting backward work? If a team shows up in the fall and adds, for instance, 20 new initial counters (players) to go with 65 returning players, it would be maxed out at the NCAA limit of 85 scholarships and there would be five initial counters the team didn't use. So Next year they could be allowed to use 30 assuming that those 30 wouldn't put them over the 85 total limit.

Come December and January, the team could add five mid-year enrollees who count back toward the previous class if there are at least five current players whose eligibility ended. The mid-year enrollees could be any combination of junior college and four-year college transfers or early graduates from high school.

If that team brought in a sixth mid-year enrollee, one of those six mid-year enrollees would have to be counted forward, reducing the size of the upcoming signing class from 25 to 24.

Wait, what?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.