Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Walking School Bus

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
Re: Walking School Bus
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
:thumsup:

Show me in the constitution where the federal government has the authority to take my money and use it to "promote" your healthier eating habits??????

It may seem like just a little bit of money, but add it to the thousands upon thousands of other "just a little bit of money" projects and it adds up to some serious cash.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
You guys are obviously choosing to forget last years news. Federal school lunch mandates. Michelle. Google it. Total failure.

When they start telling what I can and cannot put in my kids lunch boxes, sorry but we have issues. Suggesting and mandating are two different things.
This is patently false. She tried to get healthier foods in lunches provided by public schools, yes. I think that's something that could and should be addressed.

No one was suggesting confiscating brownies out of kids' lunchboxes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
This is patently false. She tried to get healthier foods in lunches provided by public schools, yes. I think that's something that could and should be addressed.

Yes they were and are.  Many proposals have been made to outlaw bringing your own lunch.  Due to the mandated school lunch menus, many systems are losing money because the kids are not eating them and bringing their own lunch.  In order to stop the schools from losing so much much money, it has been proposed that the answer is not letting them bring their own and forcing them to buy the school lunch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
Yes they were and are.  Many proposals have been made to outlaw bringing your own lunch.  Due to the mandated school lunch menus, many systems are losing money because the kids are not eating them and bringing their own lunch.  In order to stop the schools from losing so much much money, it has been proposed that the answer is not letting them bring their own and forcing them to buy the school lunch.
No they weren't and aren't.

Link to where Michelle Obama banned home packed lunches nationwide as part of a federal mandate?

The only case where this has ever happened was one school in one district in Chicago in 2011 that had nothing to do with the Obamas, or even any local government mandate.

You're trying to argue that some made up bullshit is a fact.  :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »

Ummmm, yes.  Yes they were. 

School had rules on what had to be in brought-from-home lunchboxes. 

PB&J, chips and a Little Debbie (staples of any lunchbox)?  No.

No peanut butter because some jackass might be allergic to peanuts, walk by and fall face first into the sandwich.

Chips?  Nope.  Too much something or other unless they were whole grain chips.

Little Debbie?  Nope. Too much fat.

Where were the apples, carrots and broccoli?  You know, the things kids scrape off the lunch tray and into the garbage can. 

Lunch bags brought from home had to meet standards or the kid would be forced to buy lunch ANYWAY. 

Don't tell me it wasn't mandated.  I've fought that particular battle. 

And yes, she's fat.  You could fit my entire wife in one of her enormous trunk legs. 

She could smuggle the Cleveland Indians outfield in one butt cheek. 

And she's uglier than Aunt Esther.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »
Ummmm, yes.  Yes they were. 

School had rules on what had to be in brought-from-home lunchboxes. 

PB&J, chips and a Little Debbie (staples of any lunchbox)?  No.

No peanut butter because some jackass might be allergic to peanuts, walk by and fall face first into the sandwich.

Chips?  Nope.  Too much something or other unless they were whole grain chips.

Little Debbie?  Nope. Too much fat.

Where were the apples, carrots and broccoli?  You know, the things kids scrape off the lunch tray and into the garbage can. 

Lunch bags brought from home had to meet standards or the kid would be forced to buy lunch ANYWAY. 

Don't tell me it wasn't mandated.  I've fought that particular battle. 

And yes, she's fat.  You could fit my entire wife in one of her enormous trunk legs. 

She could smuggle the Cleveland Indians outfield in one butt cheek. 

And she's uglier than Aunt Esther.
Link to this fantasy?

With all due respect, you're full of shit. There never is and never was any federal laws banning sacked lunches.

And all I can say to all this evidence of Obesity in Michelle Obama, is you're clearly looking at this from a biased angle. I'm sure you can find much more unflattering pictures in terms of body fat on most sex symbol celebrity/models if you try as hard as you guys are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Link to this fantasy?

With all due respect, you're full of shoot. There never is and never was any federal laws banning sacked lunches.

And all I can say to all this evidence of Obesity in Michelle Obama, is you're clearly looking at this from a biased angle. I'm sure you can find much more unflattering pictures in terms of body fat on most sex symbol celebrity/models if you try as hard as you guys are.

Federally mandated?  I don't know. 

Following federal guidelines?  Maybe that was it.  Home lunches had to meet certain standards or kids had to buy (or get free anyway). 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »
No they weren't and aren't.

Link to where Michelle Obama banned home packed lunches nationwide as part of a federal mandate?

The only case where this has ever happened was one school in one district in Chicago in 2011 that had nothing to do with the Obamas, or even any local government mandate.

You're trying to argue that some made up bullshit is a fact.  :facepalm:

Nice how you worded that. And yes they were via the USDA and support from ag commish Vilsack. Her program was a highly pushed mandate that most schools across the country tried....at first. And it didnt end up being nearly as radical as her original mandate which did limit what foods they could bring. The schools mandated it and most have dropped the program now. A bill in congress actually limited the powers of the ag dept to force many of these stipulations. The original plan was to also eliminate pizza TOTALLY, and limit potato products to max of twice a week.

Students have revolted against even the watered down mandate. Watch the videos online. They are hardly fat students. Most are athletes who need those calories.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 12:59:18 PM »
I'm with Chad in this debate.  Much larger things to be pissed about.  I will say though, if any administration is serious about child obesity, they should start with putting a restriction on food stamps.  EBT cards should not be allowed to be used in ANY convenience store.  Also, there should be a list similar to WIC on what is allowed to be purchased on them.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
The biggest crime in all of this is the need for chaperones to walk to school in the first place.  I walked/rode my bike to school from 1-5 grade and all I had for a chaperone was my older brother and all the other kids on the block.

It's a crying shame that the world is so dangerous now that we can't even let our kids walk to school by themselves
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
I'm with Chad in this debate.  Much larger things to be pissed about.  I will say though, if any administration is serious about child obesity, they should start with putting a restriction on food stamps.  EBT cards should not be allowed to be used in ANY convenience store.  Also, there should be a list similar to WIC on what is allowed to be purchased on them.

Now why on earth would they want to piss of their constituents?

Yes much bigger things to be pissed about. Like gay marriage and the racist, George Zimmerman.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »

I dunno, she's pretty large. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »
The biggest crime in all of this is the need for chaperones to walk to school in the first place.  I walked/rode my bike to school from 1-5 grade and all I had for a chaperone was my older brother and all the other kids on the block.

It's a crying shame that the world is so dangerous now that we can't even let our kids walk to school by themselves

Quiet minion. Barry and Michelle know what's best for you. And by God you're gonna do it!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »
I dunno, she's pretty large.

She has Hillary legs
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 01:20:35 PM »

I hate seeing food stamp cards being used to buy shit that I can't even afford to feed to my family.  No reason lazy fuckers should be eating lobster on the govt dime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
Screw school lunches.  You never got big enough portions to matter anyway.  Just take the damn X-Box controller thingy out of their hands, get them off the sofa and out of the house.  I know because we struggle with that shipth every day.  Every time we turn around, Mini-Snags is gone to the playroom, bag of potato chips in hand, head phones on and blowing some alien or zombie up with a little box with buttons on it.  Get your ass out of the house, get on your bike, go down the street and get Devin and Jordan and play some football in the back yard.  Jump on the trampoline.  Shoot baskets in the driveway.  Go fish down at the pond.  Just put the damn joysticky controller thingy down and get off your ass.

Kids these days
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 01:30:11 PM »
I hate seeing food stamp cards being used to buy shit that I can't even afford to feed to my family.  No reason lazy fuckers should be eating lobster on the govt dime.

Was in a rough part of town one day about two weeks ago. Wanted a Gatorade (sorry Michelle I know it's too much sugar) since it was hot as hell outside that day. Only place was a shitty looking piggly wiggly so I stopped. Went and got what I came to get and went to the front to check out. Big hippo in front of me: 6 cases of grape soda, 3 boxes of little Debbie cakes, and 4-5 bags of frozen pre cooked fried shrimp. Went to pay and yep, on the govt dime. Taxpayer money well spent. This was also the middle of the day during lunch. She was not dressed like someone going back to work. Just saying. Looked over at the lines to the left and right of me. Same deal on those lines. It's like the place was a food stamp headquarters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »
Screw school lunches.  You never got big enough portions to matter anyway.  Just take the damn X-Box controller thingy out of their hands, get them off the sofa and out of the house.  I know because we struggle with that shipth every day.  Every time we turn around, Mini-Snags is gone to the playroom, bag of potato chips in hand, head phones on and blowing some alien or zombie up with a little box with buttons on it.  Get your ass out of the house, get on your bike, go down the street and get Devin and Jordan and play some football in the back yard.  Jump on the trampoline.  Shoot baskets in the driveway.  Go fish down at the pond.  Just put the damn joysticky controller thingy down and get off your ass.

Kids these days

Sell the X Box daddy-o. 

We did those things because there WAS no X-Box.  TV was three channels.  There was no computer. If we wanted to amuse ourselves we had to do it out in the real world. 

We did a TV-free summer a couple of years ago.  Kids were PISSED at first.  But it was the best summer we've ever had.   Tried it for a week this summer when we were out of town.  Best decision ever. 

Maybe I should turn it all off again. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 01:33:36 PM »
A few things.

#1. On Michelle Obama:

#2.  I have an issue on anything that isn't spelled out in the Constitution not being turned over to states to decide.  I have an issue with federal tax dollars being spent on this, just say no campaigns, to study the DNA of a grizzly bear...etc...etc...etc. If the state of Alabama wants to do a walking school bus campaign, then so be it, even though I wouldn't be happy about it, but it should never have federal dollars attached to it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
A few things.

#1. On Michelle Obama:

#2.  I have an issue on anything that isn't spelled out in the Constitution not being turned over to states to decide.  I have an issue with federal tax dollars being spent on this, just say no campaigns, to study the DNA of a grizzly bear...etc...etc...etc. If the state of Alabama wants to do a walking school bus campaign, then so be it, even though I wouldn't be happy about it, but it should never have federal dollars attached to it.

It's like we're twins sometimes. Not sure why millions have to be spent to promote something worthy. Most of the time that method just wastes money with nothing to show

1 just say no. Failure
2 literacy campaign. More people fail hs grad exams than ever.
3 eat what I tell you to eat even though I look like a plump albatross? More fat kids and people than ever and getting worse by the year.

Screw psa's. Waste of money. Don't work. Lot of rhetoric. Not the fedgovs responsibility.

At least the first two were not aimed at making you do something. Moreless general, good advice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE