Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

DOJ Seize AP Phone Records

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
DOJ Seize AP Phone Records
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »
Today was a bad day for Obama. Between the IRS scandal and this...

http://blog.ap.org/2013/05/13/ap-responds-to-intrusive-doj-seizure-of-journalists-phone-records/

AP responds to intrusive DOJ seizure of journalists’ phone records
Posted on 05/13/2013 by Erin Madigan White   

The U.S. Department of Justice notified The Associated Press on Friday, May 10, that it had secretly obtained telephone records for more than 20 separate telephone lines assigned to AP journalists and offices, including cell and home phone lines.

AP is asking the DOJ for an immediate explanation of the extraordinary action and for the records to be returned to AP and all copies destroyed. 

AP President and CEO Gary Pruitt protested the massive intrusion into AP’s newsgathering activities in a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday, May 13.

In the letter Pruitt states:

“There can be no possible justification for such an overbroad collection of the telephone communications of The Associated Press and its reporters. These records potentially reveal communications with confidential sources across all of the newsgathering activities undertaken by the AP during a two-month period, provide a road map to AP’s newsgathering operations, and disclose information about AP’s activities and operations that the government has no conceivable right to know.”

“We regard this action by the Department of Justice as a serious interference with AP’s constitutional rights to gather and report the news.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: DOJ Seize AP Phone Records
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »
Cue BF response (with links) in 3....2.....1.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
What does Gary Pruitt have to hide?  His racism?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
 :popcorn:

I watched Obammer talking about Benghazi/Rice on C-Span and now this. I need to get some more popcorn and tinfoil. Obammer is toast.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/govt-obtains-wide-ap-phone-records-probe
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:25:48 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:18:28 AM »
The sheeple don't care. I mean half of the people in this nation never even knew who Ben Ghazi was to begin with!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:19:06 AM »
The sheeple don't care. I mean half of the people in this nation never even knew who Ben Ghazi was to begin with!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:30:10 AM »
You can say that again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »
You can say that again.

He did. That's positive reinforcement for you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
He hasn't had a good last couple of months. Benghazi may end up being his watergate. The ap records thing and IRS targeting is just more fuel on the fire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »
He hasn't had a good last couple of months. Benghazi may end up being his watergate. The ap records thing and IRS targeting is just more fuel on the fire.

I don't think Benghazi will amount to anything.  It'll be a faint memory in time. 

However, if he did for some reason get impeached, I have no doubt that the left will say that the courts are rigged and that we need some kind of reform because they wrongfully accused or convicted Barack Obama. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »
I don't think Benghazi will amount to anything.  It'll be a faint memory in time. 

However, if he did for some reason get impeached, I have no doubt that the left will say that the courts are rigged and that we need some kind of reform because they wrongfully accused or convicted Barack Obama.

If whistleblowers keep testifying, it will be big and hard to get out of. It's already snowballing a bit

And remember, the courts are only rigged when things dont go your way. Otherwise, they're legit (obamacare ruling)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »
What does Gary Pruitt have to hide?  His racism?

Uh, please tell me that you are joking here?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »

He was in that movie, right? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »
In my opinion, Benghazi, while certainly not entirely negligible as some liberals would like to portray it, is way overblown by conservatives.

Bush had 13 similar attacks on US Consulates. Many more injuries, many more deaths, and many more American deaths than Benghazi.

Saying it was a spontaneous reaction to the YouTube video in hindsight was dumb, but it was based on US intelligence at the time and what the Libyan government was saying publicly. To the administration's credit, this was corrected relatively quickly and they acknowledge that was an organized terror attack. Really semantics either way. Now you can argue that the lapse in intelligence itself is problematic, but then if you're up in arms over that, but defended Bush's WMD claims that were not retracted for several years, and directly pulled us into a war that lasted nearly a decade due to "bad intelligence", then your bias is glaring.

To me, the IRS & AP scandals are a much bigger deal. When combined, this is pretty damn similar to the Watergate scandal, IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
In my opinion, Benghazi, while certainly not entirely negligible as some liberals would like to portray it, is way overblown by conservatives.

Bush had 13 similar attacks on US Consulates. Many more injuries, many more deaths, and many more American deaths than Benghazi.

Saying it was a spontaneous reaction to the YouTube video in hindsight was dumb, but it was based on US intelligence at the time and what the Libyan government was saying publicly. To the administration's credit, this was corrected relatively quickly and they acknowledge that was an organized terror attack. Really semantics either way. Now you can argue that the lapse in intelligence itself is problematic, but then if you're up in arms over that, but defended Bush's WMD claims that were not retracted for several years, and directly pulled us into a war that lasted nearly a decade due to "bad intelligence", then your bias is glaring.

To me, the IRS & AP scandals are a much bigger deal. When combined, this is pretty damn similar to the Watergate scandal, IMO.
The fact that the attack happened is not Obama's fault. What I believe was a cover up is his fault. And, it likely helped save the election for him. One man's spin is another man's cover up.

Also, I wonder if the lack of response and order to stand down had anything to do with politics. Lives were lost because of this decision. If someone in my family died because of this, I would want answers very soon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »

A malicious coverup at the presidential level is a big deal. It's just a matter of proving it.

Bush had his faults. But he isn't president now. Obama is. All these things combined IMO are huge.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »
The fact that the attack happened is not Obama's fault. What I believe was a cover up is his fault. And, it likely helped save the election for him. One man's spin is another man's cover up.

Also, I wonder if the lack of response and order to stand down had anything to do with politics. Lives were lost because of this decision. If someone in my family died because of this, I would want answers very soon.
I'm just saying. Targeting political opponants for IRS audits. Monitoring the press's phone conversations in order to be ahead of any critical news stories. That's a way bigger deal.

If I were a far right-winger bent on the destruction of the US President, I would be infinitely more focused on the two scandals that broke yesterday than trying to connect dots on Benghazi.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 11:23:59 AM »
I'm just saying. Targeting political opponants for IRS audits. Monitoring the press's phone conversations in order to be ahead of any critical news stories. That's a way bigger deal.

If I were a far right-winger bent on the destruction of the US President, I would be infinitely more focused on the two scandals that broke yesterday than trying to connect dots on Benghazi.

Agree. Targeting and phone taps are very troubling.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »
Uh, please tell me that you are joking here?

Of course not.  The guy's name is Gary.  That's a white man's name.  A racist white man. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »
This has little to do with this little blame-game discussion. But....as long as the U.S.of A. continues to do what we always have and try to police the world...as long as we try to impose our will on others and attempt to make them do things the right way (Our way)....as long as we, unlike almost all others in the world, continue to have a military presence all over the world, especially in places where millions of people who don't think or act anything like we do and most importantly, who hate our damn guts and have sworn to wipe us off the face of the earth...

PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DO THEIR LEVEL BEST TO KILL US!!! 

It will never stop.  Ever!!! And every single time it does, the two "sides" will continue to point the finger at each other in an attempt to make the other look bad and gain a stronger political foothold.  One of the main reasons I loathe politics.  Everything is us against them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."