funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: scrimmage 4/6/13
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »
Those pics kind of made me sad.  The names on the back of those jerseys have brought me nothing but football pain.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 12:01:36 AM »
Those pics kind of made me sad.  The names on the back of those jerseys have brought me nothing but football pain.

You apparently missed the pic of LO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 12:01:47 AM »
My opinion of what I saw...

We don't have any SEC level DTs.  I spoke to a HS coach from So. Car. who has worked for Ellis Johnson before.  He was at USCe's practice last week, and says none of our DTs look like they could start there.  Said Whitaker looked "dumpy and unathletic". 

DEs might be ok, but not great due to no DTs. 

LBs   :facepalm:

DBs might be, MIGHT be average. 

Bottom line for Defense: We don't have a soul on that side of the ball that strikes fear in the heart of any SEC team.  No play makers. 

Offense:  We don't have a QB on campus.  Wallace ran with what appeared to be the 1st team.  The OL that ran as the first team (Orange team) consisted of (L to R) Robinson, Kozan, Dismukes, Slade, Miller.   Shon Coleman ran with the second team (Blue) at LT.  I believe Fariyake Young and Diamond were in this group too.

OL is TALL!  But lean.  Avery Young is a big fucker, and Dismukes is solid too.  Miller looks more like a TE than a RT.  This group, IMO, will mature well, though it will take a year or 2.  This year may be average or less, next year good, and in 2 years this group could produce a dominate OL much like 2010s. 

We have some nice looking WRs, but all unproven as y'all know. 

We don't have a real RB.  Mason is hurt right now, but not big enough to carry the ball 25 times a game.  I didn't see a stud among the bunch. 

Prosch is a stud for a FB, and can do everything you'd ask of a FB/HBack/TE.  He has nice hands (made a pretty one hand catch on a wheel route) and he gives 100% effort every play, and ever rep in practice. 

Fulse and Uzomah are both huge TEs.  HUGE!  They line up wide alot right now.   

Neither QB looked very good to me.  Wallace's motion looks funky at times, like he's aiming the ball.  Frazier missed a wide open corner route to Uzomah that should have been a TD. 

Any success the offense had today, likely due to the defense sucking. 

Practice for now is nothing but going fast, and trying to regain that tough edge.  They move fast, never walk, and they hit.  Scheme is secondary for now.  They only have in a hand full of plays on offense (4 base runs, and PAP off each), and a few coverages/calls on defense.  I talked to Kodi Burns last night for a bit, and he said that their progression is learning to go fast first, getting tough and in shape, then adding scheme a bit at a time.  Also reminded me that they don't do a whole lot, they try to get good at a few concepts, go fast, and disguise it with formations, shifts, and motions. 

JMO, YMMV...if we break .500, it will be a good job all the way around. 

Caveat: they're only 6 practices in with the new staff, and one scrimmage in.   Much of my opinion is based on just not seeing any "players" on the field.  Some of the ones that do look like players have either proven they're not (Holland) or have yet to prove anything at all (Pick a WR). 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:04:03 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 12:02:41 AM »

Prepare for another year of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 02:48:42 AM »
Don't sleep on Artis-Payne, IMO he'll be the man at RB. He might not be the starter in the first two games but he'll be the starter before the midpoint of the season.

Also, if our OL is average, we'll win 6-7 games, because that'll mean that they're better than last year's OL. A better OL usually means a better backfield, including the QB position...and don't be surprised if Nick Marshall takes the starting QB position once he gets there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 07:52:34 AM »

Caveat: they're only 6 practices in with the new staff,
Hopefully, this is the main reason for your expectation. Gus will make an adequate qb out of one of our guys. After Todd, I'm convinced of that. But I know we have our issues.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2013, 08:18:10 AM »
Don't sleep on Artis-Payne, IMO he'll be the man at RB. He might not be the starter in the first two games but he'll be the starter before the midpoint of the season.

Also, if our OL is average, we'll win 6-7 games, because that'll mean that they're better than last year's OL. A better OL usually means a better backfield, including the QB position...and don't be surprised if Nick Marshall takes the starting QB position once he gets there.

I saw Artis-Payne, and wasn't unimpressed, just thought he'd be a bigger back.  I had thought he'd come in a get some playing time. 

I'll be shocked if Marshall isn't the starting QB by the end of week one of fall camp.

If...IF the OL is serviceable, then we'll score some points, but we're currently very limited by QB play.  I just don't think the Def. can stop anybody.  Granted the QB play may get much better with more work than just 6 practices.

If Marshall comes in and gets the job then that might change my opinion.  I don't recall seeing the JUCO DT, Bradley either, or maybe his jersey number is different from what's listed.  If we find a QB, and someone that can cause trouble in the middle of the defense, then that will make a huge difference.  I still stand by the statement that we don't have anybody that strikes fear in anybody's heart on Defense, and without a QB to make them, we don't have any play-makers on offense either, though we have a couple of nice looking WRs is someone can get them the ball. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 08:20:25 AM »
Hopefully, this is the main reason for your expectation. Gus will make an adequate qb out of one of our guys. After Todd, I'm convinced of that. But I know we have our issues.

Gus is the head man, and he directs how things go, but he is the HC, not the QB coach.  Lashlee is coaching the QBs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 08:33:27 AM »
Gus is the head man, and he directs how things go, but he is the HC, not the QB coach.  Lashlee is coaching the QBs.
Yeah, I know. But you  know, seeing as how Gus coached Todd and all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 08:50:32 AM »
Yeah, I know. But you  know, seeing as how Gus coached Todd and all.

I agree, he did a great job with Todd.  Some of that was coaching, some was Todd's shoulder injury healing.  I think Lashlee can do just as good a job as well.  I know they are saying the right things about how they want to coach (at every position), and about what they want to accomplish.  Now, if they can translate that on to the field, it will be good.  I don't expect overnight miracles, or expect them to turn chicken shit in to chicken salad either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
You apparently missed the pic of LO.
OMGurtness! When I saw that pic of LO behind Holland, I lost my breath. Can you imagine being a Lineman knowing that had a running start against you? I so hope he explodes this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 09:28:08 AM »
I agree, he did a great job with Todd.  Some of that was coaching, some was Todd's shoulder injury healing.  I think Lashlee can do just as good a job as well.  I know they are saying the right things about how they want to coach (at every position), and about what they want to accomplish.  Now, if they can translate that on to the field, it will be good.  I don't expect overnight miracles, or expect them to turn chicken shit in to chicken salad either.

That was mostly Todd's shoulder healing. Todd was a student of the game. Word was that he lived in the film room while the others lived it up. Even the year his shoulder was shot, he made good decisions. He just could not deliver the ball. He was a rare talent that the average fan had no clue about. Another healthy year and his records may not have been caught for a while.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
That was mostly Todd's shoulder healing. Todd was a student of the game. Word was that he lived in the film room while the others lived it up. Even the year his shoulder was shot, he made good decisions. He just could not deliver the ball. He was a rare talent that the average fan had no clue about. Another healthy year and his records may not have been caught for a while.

Yep.  Still, he took the coaching too, which made his work ethic and hours in the film room pay off. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »
OMGurtness! When I saw that pic of LO behind Holland, I lost my breath. Can you imagine being a Lineman knowing that had a running start against you? I so hope he explodes this season.

Yes. This is why I am very excited about having LB's that have size and speed. Without looking it up, I think the last time this size of LB was playing for AU was back when Dansby was around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
'
I was under the impression that his shoulder was still hurt during the season, at least I heard that. I don't remember many deep balls.

Anyone know of where and what Todd is up to these days?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:25:31 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
Prepare for another year of it.
Can't say I didn't halfway expect us to be hovering along the bottom of the West just hoping for overall improvement.
Thanks JR for catching us up, adding the pics and your opinion of how we stand.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »
Can't say I didn't halfway expect us to be hovering along the bottom of the West just hoping for overall improvement.
Thanks JR for catching us up, adding the pics and your opinion of how we stand.

My opinion is worth about what you paid for it.  It's just my opinion, and part of me hopes I'm wrong as hell. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »
My opinion is worth about what you paid for it.  It's just my opinion, and part of me hopes I'm wrong as hell.
All of me hopes you are wrong but I would bet you aren't. Really, I haven't elevated my expects to the level some of my friends have. My main thing is that we still don't have a qB.

"Yeah, but look what Gus did with Todd," is what I hear next. As discussed earlier, Todd was special, at least we think. We have a lot of work to do. It would be nuts to think we could contend for the west this year anyway.

Truth be known, this year I just want to be in it in the 4th. You know, just having a chance to win it in the 4th against our rivals is a good step for me this yr.

Maybe, just maybe, some players emerge before the last half of the season that can help us reach the tipping point. And, thanks for the pics JR.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:48:48 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions