Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The historical legacy of Gene Chizik

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: The historical legacy of Gene Chizik
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 08:41:15 PM »
Just got a picture of some reporter being held down by Jumbo while being repeatedly teabagged by Prowler while he yells, "Here's your bagman!!!!" with Jay Jacobs looking on with stunned silence.

Post some pictures of that or get the fuck out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 09:29:33 PM »
Just got a picture of some reporter being held down by Jumbo while being repeatedly teabagged by Prowler while he yells, "Here's your bagman!!!!" with Jay Jacobs looking on with stunned silence.
:classic: #winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
He may appear slighted in one of the pictures, similar to Tater Tot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »
I still like the guy as a person. He left gracefully and has had nothing but good things to say. Class act. Just hate it didn't work out for him here at auburn for the most part. I do appreciate 2010 and give him his due. Although Gus and Cam are to be credited a lot, it still takes a steady hand at the helm for success to happen. He had just that in 2010 when our backs were against the wall. Unfortunately that's the only time he had it.

I'll still look positively at Gene as a whole now and in the future. I don't think he did anything so bad to put program that can't be righted in the short term.

I agree with all but looking positively on him in the future.  He created the single biggest program collapse that I can think of.  Though I agree it's not years down the road getting fixed, it still was a major collapse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »
When I look around, I see a general tendency to pretend like Gene Chizik never happened.  His image is gone from website headers, people rarely mention his name.  That cool white jacket, the one I have, is dodo bird material now.  I won't wear it. 

Got me wondering.  What will his legacy eventually be?  Will he end up having his picture on the side of the stadium for perpetuity?  He did, after all, helm the only AU recognized national championship since Shug Jordan. But I get the sense now that his contributions have been diminished and that title has been boxed up as being delivered by Gus and Cam.  Gene was just a peripheral player who best served the title run by staying out of the way (even though he was hailed as the steadying genius influence at the time).

Even as recently as the apartment shootings, Chizik was almost universally recognized as a rock during turbulent times. 

3-9 later, he's basically a leper. Nobody even wants to speak his name.   

How will Chizik be remembered?

In the CFB world, I suspect a notch below Larry Coker.  In Auburn history, a notch above Terry Bowden.  Bowden's decline took more time, but he actually left the program completely devoid of not only SEC talent, but D1 talent.  Chiz didn't leave it in that bad a shape, and was a decent human being to boot.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions