Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The historical legacy of Gene Chizik

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The historical legacy of Gene Chizik
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:56 AM »
When I look around, I see a general tendency to pretend like Gene Chizik never happened.  His image is gone from website headers, people rarely mention his name.  That cool white jacket, the one I have, is dodo bird material now.  I won't wear it. 

Got me wondering.  What will his legacy eventually be?  Will he end up having his picture on the side of the stadium for perpetuity?  He did, after all, helm the only AU recognized national championship since Shug Jordan. But I get the sense now that his contributions have been diminished and that title has been boxed up as being delivered by Gus and Cam.  Gene was just a peripheral player who best served the title run by staying out of the way (even though he was hailed as the steadying genius influence at the time).

Even as recently as the apartment shootings, Chizik was almost universally recognized as a rock during turbulent times. 

3-9 later, he's basically a leper. Nobody even wants to speak his name.   

How will Chizik be remembered? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Re: The historical legacy of Gene Chizik
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:11:25 AM »
In twenty years, no one will care how he handled turmoil and tragedy.  Maybe a few older fans that want to be perpetually optimistic about all things Auburn will speak of his ability to handle adversity.

However, I think most will remember Gene Chizik as the guy that was head coach when Cam Newton was in town.  The more I think about it, the more I accept that Cam Newton was the greatest college football player of all time.  Gene Chizik's ineptitude helps solidify Cam's legacy. 

If we need an example of how people will remember Gene Chizik, take a look at how people remember Larry Coker.  I don't think it will be much different. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:13:29 AM »
I still like the guy as a person. He left gracefully and has had nothing but good things to say. Class act. Just hate it didn't work out for him here at auburn for the most part. I do appreciate 2010 and give him his due. Although Gus and Cam are to be credited a lot, it still takes a steady hand at the helm for success to happen. He had just that in 2010 when our backs were against the wall. Unfortunately that's the only time he had it.

I'll still look positively at Gene as a whole now and in the future. I don't think he did anything so bad to put program that can't be righted in the short term.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »
Coker is a good national example, but I think he and Terry Bowden will be remembered in much the same way at Auburn specifically. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
Personally I do not agree with treating him like a leper and he wasn't there. 

He was the man whose hand was on the tiller during that made up media shitstorm.   

Does not excuse the shape he let the program get into but he was one of the reasons why we were successful in '10.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 11:15:33 AM »
Thanks for the memories Gene, we'll always have Glendale.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »
I still like the guy as a person. He left gracefully and has had nothing but good things to say. Class act. Just hate it didn't work out for him here at auburn for the most part. I do appreciate 2010 and give him his due. Although Gus and Cam are to be credited a lot, it still takes a steady hand at the helm for success to happen. He had just that in 2010 when our backs were against the wall. Unfortunately that's the only time he had it.

I'll still look positively at Gene as a whole now and in the future. I don't think he did anything so bad to put program that can't be righted in the short term.
Agree.

Coker is a good national example, but I think he and Terry Bowden will be remembered in much the same way at Auburn specifically. 
Agree. Maybe even slightly better.

I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy, so I personally thank Terry for his contributions, but it was clearly time for him to leave when he did. I don't hold the same animosity towards him that most Auburn fans do.

In my opinion, every coach since Shug has been a success in some form or fashion. I think that's a point of pride we should have. The "other school" had a lot of shitty scrubs between Bear & Saban. They're boom or bust, and I view us as more of a sustained relative success. I like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »
I can't make a connection between the two. I think Bowden wished bad things on us and only held his tongue (very loosely) because of legal ramifications.

I will remeber Chiz as a really nice and devout Christian man, positive attitude, a great D-Cor, helped bring us our BCS Champ. I will remember that he was the man for the job at the time but he couldn't instill the discipline we needed, so the change was necessary. I agree Coker is a pretty good comparison--in some respects anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
Chiz was D-Cord for an undefeated season at Auburn and the head coach for a National Championship season.  He will be remembered well eventually.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »
Chiz was D-Cord for an undefeated season at Auburn and the head coach for a National Championship season.  He will be remembered well eventually.

He also did very well at Texas. Had a lot to do with slowing down Bush/Leinart enough to let Vince do his thang. He def should get credit where it's due.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
I can't make a connection between the two. I think Bowden wished bad things on us and only held his tongue (very loosely) because of legal ramifications.

I will remeber Chiz as a really nice and devout Christian man, positive attitude, a great D-Cor, helped bring us our BCS Champ. I will remember that he was the man for the job at the time but he couldn't instill the discipline we needed, so the change was necessary. I agree Coker is a pretty good comparison--in some respects anyway.

While you're right, the average fan won't remember that...just that they both came in on a low note, built the program up rather quickly then departed abruptly in a stink cloud.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
I'll have to go back and watch the film to make a judgment on the Chizik era. Obviously, it's not what people here want or expect. I apologize for it not living up to expectations. I'll let you know my assessment on that when I watch the film.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I'll have to go back and watch the film to make a judgment on the Chizik era. Obviously, it's not what people here want or expect. I apologize for it not living up to expectations. I'll let you know my assessment on that when I watch the film.

+1
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
With the opportunity to be around people from all over the country/world this past week, I had several conversations about Auburn football when people would see my AU cap.  K's question does concern how AU fans will remember CGC, but I'd have to say that based on some of those conversations, we're about the only ones that will remember his name.  Had more than one person try and recall who the coach was.  Believe it or not, one was a huge Georgia fan and like 99% of the public outside the AU family, he thought Cam was the QB, Head Corch, Offensive and Defensive Coordinator, AD and cheerleader captain.

A couple of times, I tried to explain that yes, Cam's impact on that team was off the charts....no possible way they win the MNC without him.  But by the same token, no way we win it without Ziemba, Pugh, Isom, Berry, Fairley, Adams, Bynes, Dyer, Lutzenfruchen-inator.....you get the idea.  The team was loaded with seniors and supremely talented underclassmen.  Which brings me to my feelings on Chizik.  Were the 2010 Tigers guided by the cool, steady hand and leadership of Gene Chizik?  Or were they the Fab 5 of Meechigan or the old Running Rebels under Tark the Shark (Ignore the cheating references) where you just rolled the ball out there and said go play?  I know that's a stretch but after watching the utter deterioration of the program the last 2 years, I have to really wonder what real influence he had other than taking the brunt of the media firestorm and staying out of the way.

It appears to me that when Gene Chizik has had to coach, to oversee every aspect of a program, he really is Mr. 5-19. Looking at it strictly from a fan's perspective, I can't ignore what he did outside of one year 26 seniors, Cam Newton (Whom all reports have been that he didn't want), Nick Fairley and Darvin Adams. Don't hate the man.  Don't have any ill will and thanks for your time and the classy way he represented AU.  But as a head coach.....a whole lot of Pfffffffft.....       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »
It appears to me that when Gene Chizik has had to coach, to oversee every aspect of a program, he really is Mr. 5-19.

BING FUCKING O
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
Truthfully, I think this fall and possibly/hopefully the next several to come will truly define how Chizik is remembered.  Everyone knows my man Cal, but the real question on the table is whether or not that same team with and other OC would still have won it all.  If Malzahn comes in with his brand of football and wins quickly, the "told ya so's" will come out of the woodwork and Chizik's reputation will be even further soured.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 03:30:09 PM »
I have to really wonder what real influence he had other than taking the brunt of the media firestorm and staying out of the way.
And if this was the very most that he contributed (which I don't believe), it was not only a marvelous job, it was one that not just any swinging pecker could handle. He managed this firestorm brilliantly. And I can already hear "anyone coulda done it" but I do not agree with that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
Truthfully, I think this fall and possibly/hopefully the next several to come will truly define how Chizik is remembered.  Everyone knows my man Cal, but the real question on the table is whether or not that same team with and other OC would still have won it all.  If Malzahn comes in with his brand of football and wins quickly, the "told ya so's" will come out of the woodwork and Chizik's reputation will be even further soured.

Adding further, with VT hiring Loeffler, if they do well, it will also hurt Chizik's name. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
Adding further, with VT hiring Loeffler, if they do well, it will also hurt Chizik's name.

The main person who has hurt Chizik more than anybody is Gene himself. He will mostly be remembered for 5-19 and 3-9.

Cam and Gus for 14-0
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »
And if this was the very most that he contributed (which I don't believe), it was not only a marvelous job, it was one that not just any swinging pecker could handle. He managed this firestorm brilliantly. And I can already hear "anyone coulda done it" but I do not agree with that.

Just got a picture of some reporter being held down by Jumbo while being repeatedly teabagged by Prowler while he yells, "Here's your bagman!!!!" with Jay Jacobs looking on with stunned silence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.